• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Warcraft' Movie Post-Production |OT| 20 months of...hype? Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acorn

Sölf;199376004 said:
It's not a WoW movie though.

It's not a WoW movie. It's characters, plot and setting are based on the 1994 RTS Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, as well as the Warcraft novels "That Last Guardian" and "Rise of the Horde."
Same difference to everyone but hardcore blizzard fans.

Finaj

Besides, popularity shouldn't decide when an adaptation comes out; it should be things like finding the right director, the quality of the script, advances in technology etc.

If a Warcraft movie came out at WoW's peak, we would have gotten a Sam Rami directed film with a (IMO) worse premise and inferior visual effects.

I'd rather get the adaptation now over any point in the past.

Loxley

Found a gif from the latest TV spot, showing off Khadgar and Medivh getting all magicky.

mCD6m88.gif

Legends stand together

Legends sit together

Legends pee together

What else did the amazing marketing department thought of when creating these cinema pioneering posters?

Edwardo

I'm getting pretty excited for this movie. I just started and finished season one of Vikings, and Travis Fimmel is awesome.

Depending on when certain events happens in the movie, a good portion of Medivh's appearances might be very spoilery. It might be why he's in so little of the marketing.

I figured it was something like that.

Finaj

Well, if I was a diehard lore fan I would be annoyed at that inconsistency.

Don't worry; there's already been pissed-off fans whining that Dalaran flies.

I think in the movie universe, the lightning is an arcane spell, but that's just a theory.

diamount

Banned
It's just how the movie depicts arcane magic. It's not that different from WoW's opening cinematics

Well the first spell he was casting looked a lot like arcane blast, and what makes you say the cinematics portray magic differently? In the vanilla cinematic you see a human mage throwing fireballs at infernals, a blood elf mage casting arcane explosion and a human mage polymorphing a tauren and that's all the magic we've seen in the cinematics at least.

Fularu

Banned
Well the first spell he was casting looked a lot like arcane blast, and what makes you say the cinematics portray magic differently? In the vanilla cinematic you see a human mage throwing fireballs at infernals, a blood elf mage casting arcane explosion and a human mage polymorphing a tauren and that's all the magic we've seen in the cinematics at least.

No you see a human mage gather frost spells around him and it's not looking that different from your typical movie "blue lightning = magic" trope

Sölf;199411254 said:
I doubt it's any of those two. Shouldn't both be in Lordaeron instead of Stormwind? But I am not sure myself where they were back then.

Also, regarding the lightning and orcs, wasn't Ner'zhul a shaman?

Yes, also Guldan's mentor.

Tacitus_

Sölf;199411254 said:
I doubt it's any of those two. Shouldn't both be in Lordaeron instead of Stormwind? But I am not sure myself where they were back then.

Also, regarding the lightning and orcs, wasn't Ner'zhul a shaman?

Well the wiki says this

Uther was a knight and apprentice cleric to Archbishop Alonsus Faol during the First War
so it could be Uther. Tirion has no mention of being involved in the First War.

FeD.nL

Well the wiki says this

so it could be Uther. Tirion has no mention of being involved in the First War.

I made a post about it in this thread a while back. But I expect Daniel Cudmore to be playing Uther or Turalyon. His character is kept under wraps while he's gone on record saying he's been shooting Warcraft for 5 months so his role is significant.

And it would be an awesome moment seeing the formation of the Knights of the Silver Hand.

Woorloog

Banned
Uther? Or Tirion?

Dunno but the mail the guy has under plate armor seems somehow light and cheap, not proper mail at all.
Indeed, this is my big issue with the armor in the film, it looks too plasticky, fake. Not because of the styling but the material looks too shiny and wrong somehow.

Also, the pauldrons are not big enough.

Skab

Thats BE priest casting holy nova, actually.

*pushes glasses up nose*

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I feel like that dude in the screenshot above is just a generic "kill all the orcs cuz they are bad" human, and not anyone important to the lore.

However, he does sort of look like Tirion would, and Tirion was pretty staunchly anti-orc until his tune changed after the 2nd war. The only caveat there being Tirion is from Lordaearon, not Stormwind, and this wouldnt be involved in first war stuff. That's the sort of thing that can be easily altered for a movie, though.

Reminds me of how Avengers is called Avengers Assemble here in the UK.
What IP is there called Warcraft in some parts of the worlds?

I always thought The Avengers renaming was because in the UK there was a popular 60s Spy series called The Avengers which most people probably remember for a film in the 90s featuring Sean Connery which made that a toxic brand.

Zackat

I need that trailer. I was about to post in here asking about the radio silence. At least it is something that doesn't look terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom