• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Warcraft' Movie Post-Production |OT| 20 months of...hype? Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Probably wont see her until the 3rd movie if they keep the game to movie aspect in place. Though if they go the Arthas arc I really hope they dont try to force it into one movie

Yeah, the Arthas story could pretty much be its own series of films; especially if they adapt Christie Golden's 'Arthas' novel as well as Warcraft 3 + The Frozen Throne.

FeD.nL

Cross posting from the BO thread but Duncan Jones tweeted out this:

FqNTF1w.png

I'm really wondering what the plan is of Legendary regarding the marketing. I mean Seventh Son was pretty send out to die, though that film did not look particularly great in my opinion to begin with. They pretty much have one weekend to make cash with Kung-Fu panda in the second weekend and BvS in the third.

While I absolutely love that they are adapting the games chronologically I think for the bigger audience it would have been better if they went a Game of Thrones-ish way where you just start with WC3 and hint back at the previous wars. Just make it a trilogy about Arthas' downfall/Thrall's rise to Warchief of the Horde, The slave versus the golden boy., first movie ends with the fall of Lordaeron/Thrall leading his people onto the ships to Kalimidor.

But I still cannot wait for the first footage and I hope it's going to be a succes.

mjc

If they push it as hard as they pushed Godzilla it will be ok. People are eating up high fantasy right now.

FeD.nL

If they push it as hard as they pushed Godzilla it will be ok. People are eating up high fantasy right now.

Yeah I really hope they do that. And I do think the cast is pretty damn good, Travis Fimmel as Anduin Lothar, can't fucking wait.

FTF

They are? What are some fantasy movies, not named Hobbit, that have done well at the box office recently?

They need to push that Game of Thrones angle. You know, really push the human side of it. Then when people see it BAM ORC JUICE ALL OVER THEIR FACE.

FeD.nL

This has got to be the longest from announcement to release in my experience...maybe up there with Avatar.

2.5b BO incoming. No, but seriously it's been in development incredibly long, though i'm glad they are adapting stuff from the games and not a new story as Sam Raimi wanted to do.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's been so long since I played WoW, but the second I see a glorious shot of Stormwind with the iconic theme booming, i'm going to squeal like a small child with tears of joy rolling down my cheeks. I have no interest in playing anymore but that world holds such a special place in my heart. Forever.

barrbarr

How about Avengers.
Introduced in 2008.
Released in 2012.

I'm pretty sure that the warcraft film was announced in 2007 so that would mean it has been in development for alot longer than the Avengers was.

I am really excited for this film, would've been cool to see what Raimi would've done, but Duncan Jones seems like a better fit.

Nokterian

It's been so long since I played WoW, but the second I see a glorious shot of Stormwind with the iconic theme booming, i'm going to squeal like a small child with tears of joy rolling down my cheeks. I have no interest in playing anymore but that world holds such a special place in my heart. Forever.

I am still playing it but yeah i will get manly tears when this happens.

Loxley

For those who never saw these, a concept artist by the name of YanmoZhang drew up some pieces of various shots from the footage of the movie shown at BlizzCon (all from memory). more at this link:

NJSgSv4.jpg
FIYmxfR.jpg
AVLGQWj.jpg

fhVOz9o.jpg
HTnVpQf.jpg
xAjI1YD.jpg

S9UwaSY.jpg
1jSHIs2.jpg
e5LN1aT.jpg

"Last scene. Durotan is watching his wife, their camp was burned down, his eyes showing sadness. His wife is trying to comfort him, he also used to comfort eyes looking back to her. Expression and details are so real, fine and smooth. That's too cool. can't waiting 2016."

I still can't believe I'm actually going to see Stormwind, Dalaran and the Dark Portal on the big screen.

FeD.nL

For those who never saw these, a concept artist by the name of YanmoZhang drew up some pieces of various shots from the footage of the movie shown at BlizzCon (all from memory). more at this link:

I still can't believe I'm actually going to see Stormwind, Dalaran and the Dark Portal on the big screen.

Just please release this teaser legendary as soon as possible. But realistically probably till Blizzcon for some public footage, maybe Comic-Con/praying for some leaks.

Nokterian

Just please release this teaser legendary as soon as possible. But realistically probably till Blizzcon for some public footage, maybe Comic-Con/praying for some leaks.

My guess is Blizzcon it would make sense since the release is next year.

FeD.nL

I'm thinking a teaser trailer at Comic-Con and the full-blown theatrical trailer at BlizzCon - probably with a panel featuring Jones and the cast.

That would probably make the most sense. Is Warcraft: The Last Guardian still the main source for the script?

Nokterian

I'm thinking a teaser trailer at Comic-Con and the full-blown theatrical trailer at BlizzCon - probably with a panel featuring Jones and the cast.

I guess so i watched Blizzcon last year and the movie panel was pretty awesome they had the armour and assets on stage there. Duncan with people from legendary pictures and metzen where there also rob kazinsky came up later on holding doomhamer that thing was freaking huge and he is playing ogrim so that's good there a lot of Warcraft fans playing in the movie but also duncan is a huge warcraft fan that's a good thing to me.

And also a bunch of people at legendary have a big history with warcraft so to me that is all good i really can't wait to see this i hope a bunch of easter eggs are in the movie and references to everything modern today.

Loxley

Duncan Jones defends the use of CGI in film (not Warcraft specifically, just movies in general):

Warcraft director Duncan Jones has taken to Twitter to defend the decision to use CGI in modern films.

"I hear this 'CGI in film sucks,' mantra again & again," Duncan wrote in a series of tweets stemming from a discussion over whether Hollywood overuses computer-generated imagery. Duncan defends the use of CGI as a "tool" that has the potential to have both good and bad results, depending on how it's used.

"It can be done well & it can be done sh**. The best CGI has you forgetting its CGI, and accepting the visual as whatever it is supposed to be. Like props. No one has an issue with 'props' in film, do they?"

Responding to one Twitter user who argued that films without CGI garner better performances from the actors, Jones maintained it's the job of the director to coax out the performance. With reference to the famous "chest-burst" scene in Ridley Scott's Alien, Jones wrote: "why would you think that a director couldn't use the same technique to get the performance & not still enhance the alien?"

Filming of the live-action movie based on Blizzard Entertainment's World of Warcraft franchise was completed early last year; however, the movie will take an additional 20 months of post-production. Actors Paula Patton, Dominic Cooper, and Ben Foster will star in the film which is scheduled for a March 11, 2016 cinema release.

Jones basically echoes my own thoughts on CGI usage. It's a tool like anything else and comes down to how the director decides to use it. This current thing of hating CGI simply because its CGI is pointless and doesn't address the real problem, which is directors not utilizing it well.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Duncan Jones defends the use of CGI in film (not Warcraft specifically, just movies in general):

Jones basically echoes my own thoughts on CGI usage. It's a tool like anything else and comes down to how the director decides to use it. This current thing of hating CGI simply because its CGI is pointless and doesn't address the real problem, which is director's not utilizing it well.

I agree. Everytime someone brings up the CGI argument and how it ruins ecru movie, I ask them about zodiac. And then they see how much cg went into that film and they shut up.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
This could be the start of a big thing for WOW. At first I thought just calling it Warcraft was boring, but after learning more about the movie and that it's starting based on the first game...it makes a lot of sense now.

Many Warcraft fans don't even realize that this entire game started as an RTS game where you dialed up your friend's modem and played over your phone line, it was amazing! Warcraft II was incredible!

I'm super excited to see the trailer for this movie. I do hope it has a realistic feel to it like Game of Thrones. I want Warcraft to be very believable like LOTR, etc.

Bizazedo

Yeah, the Arthas story could pretty much be its own series of films; especially if they adapt Christie Golden's 'Arthas' novel as well as Warcraft 3 + The Frozen Throne.

Christie Golden's work is very bad, though. The only good, recent Warcraft book was written by Stackpole. The rest, largely by Golden, have been fan fiction level trash.

Skab

I get why they're there, but it still bothers me a little that the other races are around when this is suppose to be based on the first game, which just involved orcs and humans. But that's just a nitpick that I'll be over the moment I see a trailer.

CassSept

Hell, I'm definitely going to see it. A high budget high fantasy film with a promising director at the helm? These things are so rare and considering it's not in too hot of a season the marketing push will be immense. Unlike for most video game adaptations, thank god.

I get why they're there, but it still bothers me a little that the other races are around when this is suppose to be based on the first game, which just involved orcs and humans. But that's just a nitpick that I'll be over the moment I see a trailer.
Question is, is there any badass dwarves?

FeD.nL

Question is, is there any badass dwarves?

Lots of dwarves in my opinion. I think any member of the Council of three Hammers is pretty badass and especially Falstad Wildhammer.

It still is my one of my most if not most anticipated films.I mean seriously Stormwind on the silver screen, Dalaran, Medivh etc. I can't believe it is really happening.

deleted

I have absolute faith, that it will be better than most other fantasy movies in terms of production value bar the Hobbit maybe - but then it will most likely be better written than the Hobbit, so that's that.

Could be a fantasy movie masterpiece. I'm really hyped for this and I hope they won't send it out to die for some reason.

This feels different to other video game - move adaptations to me, it has a real budget, a real director and good solid actors. It's not being thrown together by a hack on a tiny budget to just coincide with some other release or further milk a dying franchise.

Drazgul

All the horde casting apart from Brown and Patton seem like misses, but I guess with almost two years of post-production they have plenty of time to beef those orcs up.

aerts1js

I can't see this catching on outside of Warcraft fans. The branding has a stigma attached to it that it's only for geeks. The south park episode awhile back is basically how the general audience thinks a fan of warcraft is like and they want no part of it. Not saying the PR department can't overcome the preconception....but it's going to be a challenge.

That being said, the director is legit and the concept art looks pretty good. I hope this is the first videogame movie that's actually decent.

TheYanger

I can't see this catching on outside of Warcraft fans. The branding has a stigma attached to it that it's only for geeks. The south park episode awhile back is basically how the general audience thinks a fan of warcraft is like and they want no part of it. Not saying the PR department can't overcome the preconception....but it's going to be a challenge.

That being said, the director is legit and the concept art looks pretty good. I hope this is the first videogame movie that's actually decent.

Does it? I mean wow back at its height had ridiculous numbers. I ran into people in real life, normal ass people, that played all the time. Not saying it'll do great necessarily cause people get mad when they quit, but the reach is way beyond most games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom