• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Warcraft' Movie Post-Production |OT| 20 months of...hype? Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Something about the way that the Orcs look just doesn't seem right. They look way too close to being human, I guess?

RPGCrazied

At least the trailer is this year, and lol at the blood spilled part. If you say so!

I figured the way they have be doing it would be next year before us peasants get to see footage.

Fury451

Banned
Saw this on Reddit when someone mentioned the pauldrons were way too small...

ZlFX19X.jpg

That does look more true to design unfortunately.

FeD.nL

Here is a pretty good description of the footage shown if someone hasnt read it yet.

The skies look dusty with green highlights as a clan of orcs are walking on a desolate, orange plain. Two leaders, Orgrim (Rob Kazinsky) and Durotan (Toby Kebbel), are leading the way. A massive set of gates opens and inside, there are orcs working. Building weapons. Mining. Durotan says “Our planet is dying, we need food and water.” A group of orcs sit around the fire and talk about how they believe in the orc warlock Gul’dan (Daniel Wu), and will follow his lead. Next Durotan and his wife, Draka, are laying on the ground of their hut. The wife has chosen a name for their child, but the father says “I’ll choose a name when I meet him.” She then reveals it’s a son and he’s every excited—a big moment for Warcraft fans, as Durotan’s son grows up to be Thrall, one of the big heroes of the games and eventually World of Warcraft.

We see the aforementioned Gul’dan on a massive cliff with the Dark Portal from the games behind him. “Dead, alive, dead, alive,” he slowly chants. He reveals that a thousand soldiers need a thousand slaves - prisoners, not corpses - as fuel for the Fel. Then what appears to be the souls of these awkward purple humanoids are sucked out, down into Gul’dan’s staff, and then explode out to open the huge green portal and the orcs begin to run through. Durotan tells his wife, “I’ll go first” and she nods. He walks through the portal and she follows. However, when the wife walks through, she apparently gets stuck somewhere. The trailer makes it unclear.

We now see a man flying a gryphon over the city, Stormwind. This is the humans of the Alliance. Montage of shots of the Alliance characters walking in on and around Stormwind, before we go back to the orcs, “We are not powerful enough to defeat them” one says to the other. “We could be,” the other responds. We see the baby orc and Durotan urges his wife, “Whatever happens.” She looks concerned. Then we see the baby Thrall floating down a river.

Dominic Cooper as King Llane Wrynn says “They’re beasts, they should be destroyed. If we do not unite to fight this enemy, we shall perish.”

There’s a shot reminiscent of Braveheart where the Alliance is running from the left side of the frame, it pans right and the orcs are running, and the smash into each other in the middle. That’s followed by a shot of a guy jumping off a cliff and jumping onto a Gryphon.

Then the battle cuts to a shot at an overhead angle like you’d recognize from the video game and you are watching one of the Warcraft strategy games in real life. Cut to title.

FeD.nL

Yup footage sounds good. Hopefully there will be atleast an audio leak and someone storyboards the rest of it.

Article does mention the film is CG heavy (who knew) and that that may be off putting for some people. I'm just happy we're finally getting a Warcraft film after so many wonderful CG trailers.

Aiii

So not worth it
Saw this on Reddit when someone mentioned the pauldrons were way too small...

ZlFX19X.jpg

In this version of the movie, they had to remove all action scenes out of fear some actors would accidentally decapitate themselves by lifting their arm beyond hip level.

sestrugen

I've waiting for this for a long time, I don't want to be disappointed but even if I am it will still be worth it to me to be able to see a part of this universe.

Loxley

Here's the full SDCC Panel (no footage). No real revelations about the film, but the cast seem like a fun bunch. The last bit with Daniel Wu and why he decided to audition for the film is pretty great.

Here's a pretty good (portrait mode :p) 10 minute video interview of Jones talking about various aspects of the film. He reiterates that Warcraft is meant to act as a standalone film but could definitely lead into future films. He also says that he, Metzen, and Blizzard have worked in rough blocks what - if they were to make a trilogy - the two remaining films would be.

The wife has chosen a name for their child, but the father says “I’ll choose a name when I meet him.” She then reveals it’s a son and he’s every excited—a big moment for Warcraft fans, as Durotan’s son grows up to be Thrall, one of the big heroes of the games and eventually World of Warcraft.

It should be worth noting that Thrall's birthname is Go'el. Thrall is the name given to him when he was enslaved at the end of WarCraft II. I hope they don't mess that up, but it looks like they're trying to be as faithful to the source material as they can.

Robin64

Potato quality Warcraft trailer here.

So now the world gets to see it like this, rather than in shiny HD official release trailer quality. What are they thinking?

FeD.nL

Hmm for a potential Warcraft 3/Arthas film, is there any word of Ner'Zhul making an appearance in here?

I'll just spoiler it for people who haven't played the game/read up on the lore.

Ending speculations here:

It's possible that we're gonna see a very young Arthas at the end of this film. He should be 4 at this point in the story and should they stick closely to the games than this film will probably end with Anduin Lothar leading the survivors to Lordaeron and pleading King Terenas for help/the formation of the Alliance of Lordaeron.

Potato quality Warcraft trailer here.

So now the world gets to see it like this, rather than in shiny HD official release trailer quality. What are they thinking?

It's not even the whole thing, but it's still pretty good. I wouldn't even call it a trailer, more like a preview.

Loxley

I still have a very funny feeling about this movie. They really, REALLY need to nail the CGI.

Based on the impressions from the footage shown at Comic-Con this year (from people who didn't immediately hate it simply because it was 90% CGI) - it sounds like the movie looks absolutely stunning. ILM are building it up as their next big VFX showcase (sort of what Avatar was for Weta Digital).

Also, BlizzCon is next week and there's about a 99% chance we'll finally get an official trailer release. Duncan Jones has been talking about since the SDCC footage was shown.

Loxley

I'm 99% positive that's not the Comic-Con footage. If it is, I haven't seen that cut of it before - looks like it may in fact be the new trailer.

Fuuuuuck BlizzCon needs to get here so I can watch a the complete, HD, non-logo covered version.

Akahige

I'm 99% positive that's not the Comic-Con footage. If it is, I haven't seen that cut of it before - looks like it may in fact be the new trailer.

Fuuuuuck BlizzCon needs to get here so I can watch a the complete, HD, non-logo covered version.
There were two different Comic Con recordings if I remember correctly, I don't think either recorded the whole thing.

FeD.nL

2p is releasing interviews with the director and cast all through the week and the first one they released is with Duncan Jones.

These interviews were conducted a while back though but still some new tidbits.

On the film in general:

Duncan Jones said:
I truly believe you are in for something very different. It’s not even just in fantasy but in films in general war films, genre films. A film which is even handed, telling a war story on both sides. And really asking the audiences to see how things can be seen on the both sides of the conflicts. I think it’s very unique. And I think that makes it different. I think there are a lot more humor and action and drama than you would expect. It’s really a mixable of those thing. To me, it’s what you would call a full meal of the film. You know, it really gives you everything.

On the music:

Duncan Jones said:
What we are discussing right now and I do keep coming back with the producer and my editor. The thing I keep saying is the music is the opportunity to again allow the audiences who have played the game to feel some kind of ownership. So I would love to find a way to include some game music, some more inspiring music into the film some way. But at the same time, we have a unique story to tell so we need to find a composer who I trust, can deliver the emotion level of what the story is. And we are still working it out but it will feel right.

Some surprises in the film:

Duncan Jones said:
In this film? No. I think you have to wait and see. Some reveals will surprise you, you need to wait and to see the film.

Especially the last quote is interesting because Daniel Cudmore's (Colossus in the Singer X-men films) Character has not been revealed yet while he has gone on record saying he was shooting Warcraft for 5 months. I'm hoping for a younger Uther or Turalyon, would be pretty goddamn amazing if they show the forming of the Knights of the Silver Hand in this film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom