• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Warcraft' Movie Post-Production |OT| 20 months of...hype? Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lupinko

I'm late on this but Daniel Wu is in this movie? Hollywood must want to capitalize on that Chinese movie market in addition to its WoW fanbase.

It also helps that Wu is American to begin with.

Hollleeeyyyyyyy fuckingggggg sheeeeeeet!

I'm hyped as fuck for this! Waited so long, I can't believe it's actually happening :eek:

I remember being in discussions on the wow forums and mmo champ about the movie, can't believe it!

Please be gud.

Hex

Banned
Looks alot like the intro movies every time a new expansion comes out, only a new gen.
Will need to see it moving and interacting.

Tacitus_

Looks like it jumped straight out of a Blizz cinematic, nice

for ref:
VoH1vUK.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Looks alot like the intro movies every time a new expansion comes out, only a new gen.
Will need to see it moving and interacting.

the first pic looks a bit off. Probably the lighting.

Second one looks amazing though.

Any renders you see this early can easily still be updated later on. The real eye test will be seeing these in motion with live action in the same frame. Hopefully ILM nails it, given something like Davy Jones scenes are one of their benchmarks.

raphier

Banned
Orc looks cool, I didn't play the games so I haven't nothing to base it on but the design is great.

What do you mean catching up? They've been up since the beginning.

Weta usually sports good balance between mocap and design and their capture technology is stellar as evidenced by big projects like LOTR, Avatar and Planet of the Apes. I remember some senior ILM graphics engineers being a little jealous of their tech back when Avatar came out.

This and Star wars seemed to be their time to expand their capabilities of aesthetic motion capture.

XiaNaphryz

Weta usually sports good balance between mocap and design and their capture technology is stellar as evidenced by big projects like LOTR, Avatar and Planet of the Apes. I remember some senior ILM graphics engineers being a little jealous of their tech back when Avatar came out.

Do you have a source? Because I don't recall a lot of my coworkers at the time saying as much when we had Avatar in-house for emergency work since WETA was overloaded. There'a a hell of a lot I want to say about the whole Avatar production thing but NDAs are what they are.

This and Star wars seemed to be their time to expand their capabilities of aesthetic motion capture.

Did you completely miss stuff like the Pirates films, Iron Man, Avengers, etc? ILM's mocap stuff has been fine since 2005.

raphier

Banned
Do you have a source? Because I don't recall a lot of my coworkers at the time saying as much when we had Avatar in-house for emergency work since WETA was overloaded. There'a a hell of a lot I want to say about the whole Avatar production thing but NDAs are what they are.

You're asking me to dig up an article from 2007, it was when the first time you were appointed to help with the project. I don't remember who but they said they were impressed with weta facial capture tech, especially Neytiri's. It kind of struck me.

Did you completely miss stuff like the Pirates films, Iron Man, Avengers, etc? ILM's mocap stuff has been fine since 2005.
To be honest, only Pirates really stands out of those when it comes to facial motion capture. Hulk is not really that good and I don't remember any in ironman, so I guess you get points for that.

bengraven

Gonna hear a lot of people saying one way or the other than it looks worse or better than Blizz's CGI, but put me in the "better" category. Looks more real and less cartoony.

XiaNaphryz

You're asking me to dig up an article from 2007, it was when the first time you were appointed to help with the project. I don't remember who but they said they were impressed with weta facial capture tech, especially Neytiri's. It kind of struck me.

To be honest, only Pirates really stands out of those when it comes to facial motion capture. Hulk is not really that good and I don't remember any in ironman, so I guess you get points for that.

You were talking about mocap in general in your original post, not specifically facial mocap.

As for Hulk, he was built with improved tech used for Davy Jones. Granted a lot of the nuance can't really be seen with how the shots ended up, and there's a lot less overall footage of him in general compared to Davy, so unless you go frame-by-frame you're not going to notice a lot of the improvements in muscle simulation, the eyes, etc.

LiveWire

Any renders you see this early can easily still be updated later on. The real eye test will be seeing these in motion with live action in the same frame. Hopefully ILM nails it, given something like Davy Jones scenes are one of their benchmarks.

From what they showed at Blizzcon last November, I'd say they nailed it.

Could not be less interested in this film.

Actually, I think you're wrong. You COULD be less interested in the film, seeing as how you purposely clicked on the tread titled: "'Warcraft' Movie Post-Production: 20 months of...hype? Maybe?"

So this means you actually are somewhat interested in this film. Well, that's great because this thread is for discussing that said film.

Great first look! I think it looks better than I thought it would. Most likely get the full trailer at Blizzcon.

megateto

Am I wrong or do your posts read like you are not there anymore? :(

Sinistral

Unless everyone is built like (GoT S4) The Mountain... I don't know how they're incorporating the Live Action humans with that CG Orc... Don't get me wrong it looks amazing for a stand alone CG piece. I don't recall orcs being a magnitude ginormous over human soldiers. Hopefully the animation holds up.

GoT S4 Mountain:
got-themountain.png

Chaos17

Unless everyone is built like (GoT S4) The Mountain... I don't know how they're incorporating the Live Action humans with that CG Orc... Don't get me wrong it looks amazing for a stand alone CG piece. I don't recall orcs being a magnitude ginormous over human soldiers. Hopefully the animation holds up.

GoT S4 Mountain:
got-themountain.png

Yo should watch Mist of Pandaria openening movie if you want a comparaison betwwen orc and human "body" since they're fighting in that one.

TheYanger

GoT S4 Mountain:
got-themountain.png

Orcs are a fair bit larger than humans. MoP opening cinematic:
Ls4b0.jpg

majik13

it looks good in motion, as it's all facial/actor mocap. Also the movie is practically wrapped.

So we get dwarves on this movie? Any confirmed actors for those roles?

There is clear difference between quality of that CGI orc and those on WoW cinematics. And when we see that guy on motion, I bet difference will be even bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom