• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wargame: European Escalation |OT| Ralph Peters Approved

WGEEHeader-2.png

Members of NATO, comrades of Warsaw Pact. This is to be the official intel/info/intrigue/hype dossier of Eugen Systems new operational-level realtime tactical strategy game. You may have missed their earlier titles - the unsung hero of what would become games like Dawn of War in The Gladiators: Space Circus Games and the terrific Act of War games - but any soldier worth the trigger he squeezes should have studied RUSE. Familiar with that one?!

I do not see many hands raised. This shames us all.

However, I intend to forgive anyone who found themselves strategically ill-equipped or suffering attention deficit due to some lah-dee-dah space war to have played RUSE, on the proviso you take note of this next masterpiece of warfare.

Soldiers, Wargame: European Escalation. Remember that name.

The Facts for Fast-Movers:

Genre: Realtime Operational-level Cold War Strategy
Platform: PC/Mac (tentative)
Developer: Eugen Systems
Publisher: Focus Home Interactive

System Requirements:

Processor: AMD/INTEL DUAL-CORE 2.5 GHZ
Memory: 1024 MB (XP)/2048 MB (VISTA/7)
Graphics: 256 MB 100% DIRECTX 9 AND SHADERS 3.0 COMPATIBLE. ATI RADEON X1800 GTO/NVIDIA GEFORCE 7600 GT OR HIGHER
DirectX®: 9
Hard Drive: 10 GB
Sound: DIRECTX 9 COMPATIBLE
Other: INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED FOR ONLINE GAMING AND GAME ACTIVATION

Over 300 different types of modern military equipment to utilise in a game focusing on realism. Fuel, morale, terrain, cover, supply, direct fire, indirect fire, muzzle velocity, angle of attack, armour type, wheeled, tracked, command posts, intel...need I say more!?

Divider03-2.png

GAME BRIEFING

Overview:

Wargame: European Escalation is a real-time strategy game on PC, that maintains the two core values of the classic wargame (depth and reflection) while offering a dynamic, real-time gameplay, and an incredibly spectacular and realistic visual experience.

Set in the rarely explored Cold War period of 1975-1985, Wargame: European Escalation explores the battles 'that could have been' if history had taken the wrong turn at some point in the conflict. On both sides of the Iron Curtain that tears Germany in two, the two military alliances, NATO and the Warsaw Pact, are on the verge of war. The zeal of a patrol close to the East-german border eventually leads to a firefight with their enemy brothers. Soon the local skirmish pushes the already-tense relationship between NATO and the Warsaw Pact over the edge into all-out war.

Both superpowers have enough nuclear fire at their disposal to annihilate all life on the planet, but of course this is the very last resort; if an open conflict was to happen, it would take the form of conventional warfare in Germany, and throughout Europe.

The world is about to fall into the feared 3rd World War. Wargame: European Escalation plunges you into the midst of this conflict, through a big and explosive military campaign!

Divider02-2.png

In Detail:

With rare strategic depth, Wargame: European Escalation stays accessible, and gives all strategy fans, beginners and experienced players alike, a unique, innovative and realistic gaming experience.

Whether solo-playing through a large campaign or fighting against other players from all over the world, reflection and situation awareness are determining factors for victory. Players will have to account for numerous parameters, such as covers, supplying and refueling, and morale, which influence the abilities of their units. They will also have to make good use of recon in order to discover what their opponents are planning and to plan their own tactics and battle plans accordingly.

Every one of the 300 units in the game possesses realistically rendered performance and behavior. Players must monitor which weapons systems their units may use, allowing or forbidding certain weapons in order to save precious ammunition. This allows users to tailor their battle strategy to a given situation; it is particularly useful in stealth maneuvers, in which a player could forbid the use of weapons until his troops are at close range and then take his enemy by surprise. When a unit fires a weapon, many parameters (including the optical systems used, the experience of the unit, if it or its target is moving or stationary, and whether it already had fired at this target before) are taken into account in order to determine the probabilities for each weapon system to hit their targets.

Wargame: European Escalation also offers localized damage. For instance, if you take an enemy's armored formation from behind, you will surprise the opponent and inflict maximum damage on his tanks, which have lighter armor and their rear and flank. It's also possible to inflict critical hits that temporarily or permanently damage some embarked systems. The crew of vehicles is also prone to be hit, making a seemingly intact unit impossible to operate.

Morale is another important battle parameter. It is possible, with a barrage, to destroy the morale of the enemy units. Even if they are not destroyed, they will see their abilities reduced and, under the stress, will be much less efficient in battle.

The individual experience of units plays a critical role in the outcomes of battles. During missions, units gain experience points. A small amount of experience is given to your troops for every successful shot, while the total destruction of an enemy unit gives much more experience. The more expensive and experienced the destroyed unit was, the more experience is earned!

Along the battles, your armies will level up through 5 experience levels, from mere rookies to elite units. During the solo campaign, all surviving units will follow you from mission to mission. You will have to protect them in order to benefit from their earned experience in the long run.

An experienced unit will not be more powerful or resilient than a similar, rookie unit, but it will be more lethal because able to act more efficiently. It will be much more accurate with its weapon systems, will spot enemies faster, and will also be less prone to lose morale and abilities under heavy fire. Used with wisdom, a veteran unit will be able to face several units and still be victorious.

In order to support your assault troops, artillery plays an essential role. Though shots are quite inaccurate at first, they slowly gain precision and focus. If an allied recon has a direct line of sight on this target, the shot correction will be much faster. But the artillery has its downside: ammunition heavy, it will need a regular and frequent resupplying, and will be more efficient when placed next to a Forward Operational Base, which means a depot of ammunition and fuel. This makes it a very easy target for the enemy to spot.

In order to maintain the combat ability of your forces, you will need to resupply them. You will have to maintain the stability of your terrestrial and aerial supply lines in order to repair damaged units and provide them with fresh ammo. This will also allow you to make sure your vehicles do not run out of fuel, as everyone knows a stationary tank is a sitting duck waiting to be destroyed. When facing an opponent heavily outnumbering you, attacking his supply lines becomes a particularly viable tactic!

By taking position on specific key areas and on the battleground, you are able to gain command points and control reinforcement zones. Attacking becomes gratifying, as it allows you to call in for reinforcements, fresh units replacing your losses and changing the course of battle. However, only the fragile and costly command vehicles are able to claim to such areas, and you will have to protect or hide them if you do not want to see your last hopes of victory slip through your fingers!

Divider05-2.png

The Engine:

Wargame: European Escalation is powered by the second generation of the performing IRISZOOM™ Engine. This powerful and high-performance engine allows the game to deliver spectacular clashes rendered in incredible detail.

The IRISZOOM is able to render millions of objects on maps as large as dozens of square miles. The impressive zoom feature allows you to dive down in an instant, without any transition, to the heart of battles involving hundreds of tanks, helicopters, or infantrymen, in order to follow your units during the fight.

This is a grand visual showcase that takes life before your eyes. From the explosions to the lighting, the raging fires to the high-resolution textures, and the sound effects to the numerous post-processing effects, everything has been designed and developed to produce a photo-realistic rendering of the battlefield.

This is complemented by highly detailed models of more than 300 different playable units: tanks, ground-assault helicopters, infantry, anti-air defense pieces, artillery, transport vehicles, supply trucks, recon units... all boast their own models, rendered in very high detail and faithful to their real-life counterparts. Zoom down from the sky to reveal even the smallest bolts and tank treads! Flying units also have their own flying models and move in the more realistic way above the battlefield.

In addition to its deep and tactic gameplay, Wargame offers a particularly impressive and spectacular visual experience. Never before has a strategy game seemed so realistic!

Divider04-2.png

Multiplayer:

Wargame: European Escalation provides a multiplayer experience as rich as the one it offers through its solo campaign.

Friendly games are possible in order to take part in a short and fun skirmish between friends, but competition is also very present, with official rankings supported and calculated through an Elo system.

Develop your tactics and unlock new units in order to add them to your 'deck' for you next battles. Will you choose a crushing strategy with huge numbers of weak yet cheap tanks, or will you try and manage small squads of expensive but skillful elite units?

With more than 300 units with unique characteristics, tactical possibilities and strategic combinations are nearly unlimited. Wars of harassment with fast but fragile units, choking techniques by attacking the enemy supply lines, squashing under overwhelming numbers; all strategies are viable if you plan carefully! In the end, only the tactical acuity of the players will determine the outcome of the battles. Do you have what it takes to reach the higher echelons of the official world ranking?

Online services provided by EugenNet© allow Wargame: European Escalation to benefit from a complete and easy-to-use multiplayer experience. Create your team or organize tournaments between several players and teams! From 1vs1 to 4vs4, all 'versus' configurations are possible!

Divider01-2.png

Screenshots:

Links:

Official Wargame: European Escalation Website
Facebook Page
Forums

E3 Teaser Trailer
Summer Trailer

Offscreen GamesCom Footage
Direct Feed German Preview Footage

RPS Preview "He Rues The Day"

Icefire1424

Subscribed.

Said it before, will say again, really hope this game generates a strong following. RTT titles (which I consider this to be, given what I've seen on it so far) tend to appeal to a certain niche of gamer, as opposed to other RTS games (Starcraft, Halo Wars, some of the more frenetic titles) who might overlook this one. Eugen is taking a risk here - tactically, this is one of the most ambitious games I've seen come out for awhile, even more so than the Men of War Series. While someone like me will basically be drooling over the RTS elements, the ability to customize my army, and utilize real world tactics to advantage - it very well may turn off some of the more casual gaming crowd.

Either way, this is one not to be overlooked. Although new IP's can be tricky, Wargame is adopting the best elements from prior RTS and RTT games - hopefully sucessfully.

November release though? Ouch. Battlefield 3, Elder Scrolls, Skyrim, Uncharted 3, Gears of War, etc etc...some big releases poised to drown this one.

The Junior quality in this thread thus far is of the highest quality.

SapientWolf said:
Hmm... I'll keep my eye out for that. Hope they beat BF3's beta out the gate.

Fingers crossed. I know it'll be Wargame for me, when push comes to shove. Sapient, this could be the new WiC, only more intricate! Good times.

Icefire1424

I'm curious to see what role the Infantry will play in Wargame. Infantry in R.U.S.E was failrly simplified, but made for a good defensive line when holding chokepoints - pretty similar to WiC. Was damned cool to watch a tank column or chopper get obiliterated from flying to close to the woods however.

I loved infantry in EndWar - I always went in as SpecOps to give my riflemen more power, and initially had the preorder bonus giving them the grenade launcher ability up close. Really hope Wargame follows suit in that infantry can be upgraded in the same fashion. Infantry has always been the X-Factor in games like this - played poorly, and it's basically cannon fodder. Played well however, and it's nearly unstoppable.

It's nice to find a fellow who appreciated Endwar as its own thing instead of a poor man's WiC. I certainly had a great time with it. It cut a lot of fat down to the core elements, and yeah, in comparison to something like WiC, it appeared anaemic. For me, I appreciated for the sheer fact I'd not played a game featuring such symmetry in a long time, with the rock-paper-scissors approach giving it more a traditional boardgame feel of clearly defined pieces and capabilities.

Really sad they shelved Endwar 2. Michael de Plater stated that it was ramping up complexity and instituting a lot of things they learned from Endwar - both positives and negatives.

Anyway, it's almost a foregone conclusion around these parts to mention Endwar. Always nice to read indepth responses as to why fellows did or didn't like it, but it usually ends up having peanuts leave it at "stupid game wasn't XX, simplistic garbage, yadda yadda yadda".

As a multiplayer game, it was nice and fast. The veteran system was great and really made you consider your next move. Nothing more sad that watching you squad of super-veteran troops get finished off just as the evac chopper flies into the zone for the pick-up. But hey, that's war! The unit upgrade aspects were a very nice touch - I was hoping for a particular tech tree for each unit in Endwar 2 so I could sacrifice one particular tech route for another.

But yes, on topic, the use of infantry will be very interesting. RUSE was definitely a vehicle game, but shock troops like the paratrooper were terrific for deep strike capturing under the cover of Radio Silence, Blitz etc. Let us not forget the UK in that game...paras off the bat and best damn airforce in the game!

In any case, I think we'll know once the unit profiles start coming out. 300 unique units...there's got to be some varied infantry within that, even if a fair percentage of that number is due to variants.

Gleaned from a variety of sources, the alleged four campaigns/timelines within Wargame:

1. 1975 DDR NVA incident
2. 1981 Polish Solidarity/Jaruzelski's martial law turning into a rebellion
3. 1983 Able Archer turning hot
4. 1984 European nuclear war aftermath

Hype continues to grow.

Arucardo

Trailer for this was crazy impressive, loved the scale. Got some World in Conflict vibes from it so if it's anything like WiC or Ground Control I'll probably love it.

I never did try R.U.S.E so I have no idea how this is going to work, how was the actual gameplay in that anyway?

Arucardo said:
Trailer for this was crazy impressive, loved the scale. Got some World in Conflict vibes from it so if it's anything like WiC or Ground Control I'll probably love it.

I never did try R.U.S.E so I have no idea how this is going to work, how was the actual gameplay in that anyway?

Probably the wrong person to reply, because I'm a bit of a fanboy. RPS did a great rundown, as well as an entire podcast devoted to the game by the Three Moves Ahead gents.

I loved it, and still boot it up for a bit of a play. A refreshing pace that infers more from a boardgame notion than it does a conventional PC WWII RTS like Blitzkrieg or even a closer relative in Order of War.

Icefire1424

Arucardo said:

I think the one thing that set RUSE apart from every other RTS game on the market was the sheer scope of the conflict.

For example:

I can blame my love of the RTS genre back to the Command and Conquer era - individual units, buku micro-management and limited tactical strategy, namely, whoever creates the most units first, wins.

RUSE differs in that instead of micro-managing individual units down to even the direction they're facing, the commander needs to be aware of the "bigger picture". Intelligence became vital, knowing what the enemy was producing, and being able to field a counter quickly; hiding your own strategies to catch the enemy off guard and hit where they are least defended - some real Art of War stuff. To me, that was the draw of the game; developing a strategy and watching the enemy fall for it, either by defending in a wrong location, having the wrong units, or just simply not seeing where the inevitable final attack was coming from. RUSE took the genre in a different direction, focusing on those large scale tactics instead of individual skirmishes - which really necessitated tactical thought, and flexibility when all your plans went to hell.

RUSE still gets some decent playtime from me, as does Company of Heroes, another WW2 RTS title. What intrigues me the most about Wargame however, is that I believe this to be another game to redefine the genre. It's taken queues from it's predecessors and is implementing them into what I think will be a very innovative game. The scope of RUSE + the feel of WiC + the RPG elements of EndWar.

/Win.

A new interview by RTSGuru with Alexis Le Dressay of Eugen.

Two pieces of information worth noting:

RTSGURU: Near the middle of July, we saw some impressive screenshots coming out of the game that showed off the game's powerful graphics engine. What can you tell us about the engine and its capabilities?

Alexis Le Dressay: WarGame features the second version of the Iris Zoom Engine which was used in RUSE. We have been working on and improving this fantastic engine which was very good for rendering big maps on consoles (ie small machines): now the player has the ability to zoom even closer to the units! And WarGame features maps with more than 60 million “objects” (a tree, a house is an “object”) where RUSE’s maps were limited to 15 million. We have also better FX than RUSE, thanks to an improved version of the FX system.

Still, WarGame players will have a great experience even if their hardware is old.

RTSGURU: With Wargame, are we looking at a PC/Windows exclusive, or can our Mac using friends expect to see the game as well?

Alexis Le Dressay: Our Mac friends will not be forgotten! We will give more information later.

Talk of engine scalability AND Mac version. Interesting!

Some gathered and gleaned intel for those wanting a few spicier details:

CONFIRMED INTEL:

Factions
NATO (US, Germany, France, UK)
Warsaw Pact (USSR, Poland, Czech Republic, etc.)

Gameplay
Game begins by spending points on desired army
Reinforcements are available if player is in control of a "point of command"
Weather impacts gameplay

Eugen Net
Multiplayer shell that tracks information and provides rankings and tournaments, as well as facilitates the P2P connections
Spectating multiplayer matches is possible

The game will feature modding tools.
Full game will be on disk (no planned paid DLC)
No DRM

INFERRED INTEL

Single player campaign:

- 4 operations (each operation has 4 parts/missions) / about 20-25 hours gameplay time.

- In single-player campaign: units will be persistent, retaining their experience over the four single-missions of one campaign.

- More realistic graphic than in RUSE.

- No "straight story" like in RUSE - the story is more like "what happens if ..." (if Nato and Warschauer Pakt attacks only with infantry; which units will be used in such a war?, who make the first shot; where would the first contact point/engagement occur?).

- Animations between the missions (real news/headlines from the 70's and 80's; political talks).

- Maps play mostly in France, Poland and Germany.

- 320 units (units from the german Bundeswehr).

- Line-of-sight and weather are the only criteria for visibility.

- Barriers provide protection.

- Artillery has unlimited range but it hits less from long distance, unless aided by recon.

- More terrain detail than in RUSE.

- Only 1 building (forward operation base) / Fully laden supply trucks move slower over rough terrain.

- Prior to deployment, set amount of points are used to field units.

Multiplayer:

- Around 20 maps.

- You receive Battlepoints for every enemy destroyed. This might go towards rank or upgrades.

---

The biggest curveball is a rumour that, outside of the alleged 20 maps, there's talk of a random map generator. This will ensure that players focus more on knowing the ins and outs of their units, rather than the maps themselves. I think this is fantastic, personally.

New in-depth preview from GamingLives:

...Take two main battle tanks, one of which was used by each side for example – a West German Leopard and Russian T-72, for the sake of argument. Rather than being designed to play in relatively comparable balance to each other, as in other strategy titles where the only real difference is visual appearance, in Wargame a Leopard IS a Leopard, with its historical strengths and weaknesses, and a T-72 is a T-72 with all of that tank’s actual ability and restrictions. Speeds, armour, armament, crew numbers, design flaws… even fuel consumption is based on the real thing. As well as moving and acting as the real thing would, each unit type is a highly detailed model, with location based damage points. A Leopard tank is fairly heavily armoured on the sides and rear, but vulnerable to shells from the front, and this is true in Wargame too – damage received is lessened when enemy fire of insufficient power hits the tank in a well armoured flank, but the same shot can devastate or destroy the unit if it hits head-on where the armour is weakest.

The unit AI is very impressive in Wargame, with troops and vehicles moving realistically depending on the circumstances and terrain and enemy, etcetera. If you send out a pair of helicopters on patrol, they move as they actually would on a real patrol. If you’re on the run from a larger enemy force, your tanks present their well-armoured rears to their opponents and spin their turrets to continue firing back without needing to be told. If you order a unit to attack an enemy it has no hope of defeating, it will tell you that it doesn’t stand a chance and refuse to attack, rather than committing suicide. There is a morale bar feature too, which affects how rationally each unit’s AI responds, depending on several variables. If things get too bad they will simply panic and flee, ignoring orders.

Weapons are listed independently according to each unit, and can fire on separate targets in accordance with what they are designed to most effectively combat. They also have separate ammunition stockpiles, and behave completely accurately to the real thing, in terms of range, power, reload times, and even muzzle velocity. The physics engine powering all of this is seriously impressive, and the game is controlled with a very intuitive user interface that somehow simplifies all of this to stop the player having to micromanage and juggle everything for themselves, unless they really want to. Chances to hit opponents are shown with percentages, and clear field of fire and range with differently coloured mouse cursors. You can group up to four units together at a time, too, and the interface keeps this simple to keep track of even with differing unit types...

Much more info through the link. Well worth a read.

Salazar

Pylon_Trooper said:
Single player campaign:

- 4 operations (each operation has 4 parts/missions) / about 20-25 hours gameplay time.

Marvellous. No DRM, mod tools, a big campaign. Take my money.

Especially considering your ARMA gaming, this seems like the perfect strategic fit.

Unit persistence between levels, too...looking forward to turning green recruits into Cold War warriors.

EDIT: And what's more, purely European battlegrounds. Not a desert or arid Middle Eastern township in sight. How refreshing.

Beta delayed, thus - like RUSE was - we'll probably see Wargame in late December/January.

Wargame Facebook said:
We are still working here to run the beta in the best conditions. Given our previsions, the shape of the battlefield and the moral of our enemies, the open beta should take place in October. We'll give you a more accurate date as soon as possible.

Icefire1424

Pylon_Trooper said:
Beta delayed, thus - like RUSE was - we'll probably see Wargame in late December/January.

As much as I hate to say it (namely because I would love to see this game released earlier rather than later), this may not be a bad thing. Pushes the game out of the insane November release window, where it might be overlooked. I think that may be one reason EndWar didn't do as well as I had hoped - I recall picking up that, FarCry 2 and Fallout 3 in the span of about 1 week.

In the meantime however, I got back into RUSE multiplayer, and given the beatdown I took the other night, it's probably better for me to get some practice in.

I think it's for the best as well, though I would have loved to have sunk my teeth into it over the Christmas months. Eugen seem to be quite the perfectionists, if the RUSE development was anything to go by...the beta feedback as thoroughly worked over and implemented, pushing the game back quite a bit. IIRC, they even had a second beta?

In any case, beta in October.

Whoa, big surprise! Game is still set for a November release, with James Allen of Out of Eight stating Wargame arriving on the 22nd! Forget Battlefield or MW3, the real deal is right here!

Four new screens added to the OP.

Icefire1424

Pylon_Trooper said:
Whoa, big surprise! Game is still set for a November release, with James Allen of Out of Eight stating Wargame arriving on the 22nd! Forget Battlefield or MW3, the real deal is right here!

Four new screens added to the OP.

...and boom goes the dynamite.

Very cool, wasn't expecting to hear that, at all actually. Will still be picking up BF3, Skyrim and Uncharted, but this will be a day one, no questions asked.

With that being said, anyone up for a few games of RUSE or WiC in the coming weeks until release? I think I can put aside Dead Island for a few. :D

A little extra info on the video:

Wargame Staff said:
It was actually a quick multiplayer session we recorded for gamestar, where I got totally steamrolled (I have an excuse, my AH-1 where bugged and did NOT shoot their Sidewinders. Stupid pilots. Should fire them. Nah scrap that, I should just eject them while on the field.)

But I did get revenge after that!

Also, please keep in mind this was of course recorded on a wip version, so many things are still being finalised (I cant be 100% sure about the tracer bolts though).

cheers,
Callyste

GAF's lack of interest makes me shudder with sadness. Oh, also this for Mac gamers:

Wargame Forum Administrator said:
Hello everyone,

I may have good news for you, or at least some of you. This is not official at the moment, but we are planning the production of a Mac version of the game.

As I said, it still needs to be confirmed, but the odds are very good .

Icefire1424

Pylon_Trooper said:
GAF's lack of interest makes me shudder with sadness.

Yea, you too, huh? It's odd though, I have seriously heard nothing about this game outside of NeoGaf. Really hope they do some type of advertising, or the word spreads, because I really think this could be a great game that I really don't want to see fall to the wayside. I'd hoped so long for a proper sequel to either WiC or EndWar, and this looks like it could surpass both...

Anyways, video is gorgeous, wish I understood German to know what the hell was going on.

Icefire1424 said:
Yea, you too, huh? It's odd though, I have seriously heard nothing about this game outside of NeoGaf. Really hope they do some type of advertising, or the word spreads, because I really think this could be a great game that I really don't want to see fall to the wayside. I'd hoped so long for a proper sequel to either WiC or EndWar, and this looks like it could surpass both...

Anyways, video is gorgeous, wish I understood German to know what the hell was going on.

Ah well, the best we can do it keep fighting the good fight.

Not much is said in the video that hasn't already been said before. What is nice to see is the UI looks like an updated RUSE UI, now with unit commands on the lower right. I suspect the music is placeholder, but even then, felt good to hear.

Icefire1424

Pylon_Trooper said:
I suspect the music is placeholder, but even then, felt good to hear.

Funny you say that about the music. Every RTS / RTT game I've ever played, I tend to mute the music almost immediately. I guess the sounds of explosions, gunshots and wartime chaos is music enough to me. Hehe.

New Video! An interview with the awesome Alexis le Dressay, one of the founding le Dressay brothers of Eugen.

GotGame doesn't do anything for game journalism professionalism, but it's better than nothing.

Well, I was expecting as much...no sign of the beta as yet, and official confirmation that Wargame has slipped into Q1, 2012.

...We also want to officially announce today that the game will eventually release in 2012. It has indeed been decided by mutual agreement between Focus and Eugen Systems, to delay the release of the game by a few months to ensure Wargame: European Escalation offers the best possible experience both in single player and in multiplayer. The game is now planned for release first quarter 2012; the final release date will be disclosed in the coming weeks.

To salve wounds, here are some new screenshots:

44.jpg

43.jpg

42.jpg

41.jpg

40.jpg

Closed beta is on at the moment!

This game is goddamn
CLASSIFIED
!

Open beta to come ASAP, but just get ready to grow a beard and be a man. Heavy duty.

Icefire1424

Good work keeping on top of this one Pylon, although I've been bouncing back and forth between Skyrim and BF3 lately, the itch to get back into a good RTT game is becoming more...prevalent. Will be checking back!

Edit:

Actually, come to think of it, was watching something on the Military Channel yesterday when they were talking about the battle of Monte Casino. Some of the camera angels and CGI they were using reeeeeeeally made me want to go play RUSE...lol.

Looks amazing and the engine has tons of potential but damn, it looks too arcadey for my test.

If the closed beta was anything to go by, this will be one of the most un-arcadey RTT you'll find on the market before you start dipping into Matrix-level wargames like Conquest of the Aegean. Really good stuff.

Sethos

Banned
If the closed beta was anything to go by, this will be one of the most un-arcadey RTT you'll find on the market before you start dipping into Matrix-level wargames like Conquest of the Aegean. Really good stuff.

Tell me what makes it realistic, it looks like World in Conflict which was far from Realistic.

And realism by my standards is Men of War levels, at least.

Tell me what makes it realistic, it looks like World in Conflict which was far from Realistic.

And realism by my standards is Men of War levels, at least.

That trailer doesn't paint a very good picture of what the game actually is, but I suppose it's aiming for a broader base of interested parties.

Wargame isn't really like World in Conflict at all, outside of surface level stuff. It's akin to RUSE in that you play at an operational level, so micro isn't really necessary, though Wargame is a much more technical operational level game. You have a huge range of units to deploy, with each specific unit coming in a range of selectable variants and veteran levels. I only experienced sector capture in the beta, but it is a much slower game than many might realise. Taking into account terrain, supply, armour values, veterancy, mountable and dismounted infantry and their capabilities, command vehicles, artillery spotting, range and accuracy times movement, etc. etc.

As a fan of Men of War, it'd be up your alley more than something like Starcraft or WiC would be, I can safely recommend this to you.

That trailer does a real disservice to the actual game. It's far more intricate and intelligent than a dopey infantry rush...(the other beta players must be thinking the same sad thoughts).

Sethos

Banned
That trailer doesn't paint a very good picture of what the game actually is, but I suppose it's aiming for a broader base of interested parties.

Wargame isn't really like World in Conflict at all, outside of surface level stuff. It's akin to RUSE in that you play at an operational level, so micro isn't really necessary, though Wargame is a much more technical operational level game. You have a huge range of units to deploy, with each specific unit coming in a range of selectable variants and veteran levels. I only experienced sector capture in the beta, but it is a much slower game than many might realise. Taking into account terrain, supply, armour values, veterancy, mountable and dismounted infantry and their capabilities, command vehicles, artillery spotting, range and accuracy times movement, etc. etc.

As a fan of Men of War, it'd be up your alley more than something like Starcraft or WiC would be, I can safely recommend this to you.

That trailer does a real disservice to the actual game. It's far more intricate and intelligent than a dopey infantry rush...(the other beta players must be thinking the same sad thoughts).

Thanks.

It's just, I was looking at the raw gameplay footage in the thread and what has been released up until now - Nothing really screams realism to me. How units move, just the way they pick up speed and turn. How helicopters engage at short range, how units behave during fire and movement, basically how units behave in general. It just seems like an authentic game with focus on real-life stats and looks, rather than the actual realism. I will definitely hold off to try a demo or whatever I can get my hands on but right now I'm really sceptical - Not a single shred of video footage has shown me anything to reassure me.

Overall I don't find the pacing very appealing either, as mentioned above, how tanks pick up speed ( 0 to 60 in a second? ), how fast stuff is deployed, turn speeds etc.

Hopefully I'll get to test it soon, maybe SimHQ will write up a preview.

Thanks.

It's just, I was looking at the raw gameplay footage in the thread and what has been released up until now - Nothing really screams realism to me. How units move, just the way they pick up speed and turn. How helicopters engage at short range, how units behave during fire and movement, basically how units behave in general. It just seems like an authentic game with focus on real-life stats and looks, rather than the actual realism. I will definitely hold off to try a demo or whatever I can get my hands on but right now I'm really sceptical - Not a single shred of video footage has shown me anything to reassure me.

Overall I don't find the pacing very appealing either, as mentioned above, how tanks pick up speed ( 0 to 60 in a second? ), how fast stuff is deployed, turn speeds etc.

Hopefully I'll get to test it soon, maybe SimHQ will write up a preview.

I can understand your concern, but the same criticism was levelled at RUSE in regards to the abstraction and how if you zoomed in, a measly Panzer III was travelling at ridiculous speeds...but that level is just pure eye candy. It's not meant to showcase the Men of War intricacies and respective speeds. However, it's a perfect middle ground between MoW and, say, Airborne Assault.

If they made trailers from beta player footage, the average Joe wouldn't be interested.

Despite the fancy graphics - and goddamn, it looks terrific in all aspects, with a pitch-perfect Cold War solemnity that, again, was left by the wayside in this trailer - this is, at heart, Micro-Armor: The Game. So, if operational level tabletop war gaming is your bag...

But yeah, wait for some other previews. I can only give it a hearty thumbs up, but going by this thread and GAF interest, that's one hell of a lonely digit, enthusiasm notwithstanding.

Keasar

Pre-ordered it yesterday and have been spending some time with the beta.

I am really enjoying it, though it takes quite a while to get into it and understand the system on how for instance to capture zones and etc. I love the scope of the game with the huge warzones, the amount of units and the focus on realism.

Sad though that this game is barely getting attention from gaffers or people in general, it is something people chould definetly check out. :(

Sethos

Banned
Just pre-ordered it for the Beta. Throwing caution to the wind, as I really want to see if this is up my street. If the game is as arcade as I'm fearing, I still have the option of pushing for a refund.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Just pre-ordered it for the Beta. Throwing caution to the wind, as I really want to see if this is up my street. If the game is as arcade as I'm fearing, I still have the option of pushing for a refund.
The manual is up on Steam and are some beta gameplay videos up on YouTube. It's definitely not as arcadey as World in Conflict.

I'm having the opposite problem. I'm not a wargame sim buff so I'm hoping it's not too complex to pick and up play.

Top Bottom