• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

Tacitus_

Just bought a box of skitarii on a whim >_>

I wonder what I could do to make them look more like the proper side. Flesh colored tubes and dark robes are the first things that come to my mind.

So, I told my brother that I'd started collecting/painting again a few days ago and he was really enthusiastic that I'm getting back into the hobby.

Half an hour ago I had a parcel delivered - turns out when I binned all my old 40k stuff about 15 years ago (I was moving into a much smaller flat and was absolutely brutal with what I got rid of), he rescued the lot and kept hold of it, knowing I'd regret it some day. So many memories, so many poorly painted miniatures!

Well, no excuse now, looks like I'm starting a second army!

Tacitus_

OK, first draft of Dark Mechanicus Skitarii

Klg5qYAl.jpg

Black capes, lots of brass and all that glows is either purple or green. I'd really like to put in some bodyhorror stuff but I'm not that good to make it work properly.

knight ;)

I think?

No sir, that's a full on Warlord titan. Looks like they've taken more than a few design ques from the new knights (or possibly the other way around given how long this must have taken to produce), but an average size knight would probably just about come up to its knees. Curiously it looks like they've reduced its height and gone for bulk which will no doubt annoy all those people who think titans should be as big as mountains. Wazdakka certainly wouldn't be able to jump his bike into the command deck of that thing.

Love these diorama pictures, where exactly in Europe is this place that has the exhibitions?

Newly refurbished Warhammer World at GW HQ.

I've been watching a lot of battle reports on YouTube while reading 7th edition rules, it really helps to get reacquainted with them. Anyway, something I've noticed... do all Americans pronounce a hard G at the end of "WAAAAAAAAAGH!"? Why?

EYEL1NER

The first time I saw Waaaaaagh, I assumed the 'gh' was silent, that it was supposed to be the word "war" yelled loudly with their British accent. Then both of my coworkers said that it was a hard 'g' and that it was pronounced that way in some of the PC games or something. Hell, I don't know.

A hard weekend's eBaying (combined with a few restored pieces from my 20 year old army)
has landed me with the start of my new Ork army. So far;

Assault on Black Reach warboss
~20 Gretchin and 2 Runtherdz
~40 Slugga Boyz
5 Burna Boyz
13 old metal Blood Axe Kommandos and Blood Axe boss (love these old models)
3 Deffkoptas
3 Killa Kans
1 Deff Dread (going for three close combat weapons and a Skorcha)
1 Trukk

Not sure what to go for next, obviously I need more Boyz, some Nobz and a better HQ choice. I'm thinking of stripping and restoring a bunch of old metal Freebooterz I have kicking around as I love the look of them too.

I also have one of the oooooold Ork Dreadnoughts (Rogue Trader I think, possibly extremely early 2nd edition), the ones with the really spindly arms with pincer claws, and barrel-shaped torso, the type which would fall apart at the slightest tap unless you pinned the crap out of the entire thing, which is exactly what I spent last night doing. It took out two drill bits for the pin vise (which is probably more damage than it ever did on the tabletop) but it's all glued back together, stripped of paint and with a fresh new undercoat. Just to add a little something different I found an equally old shoulder-mounted Ork something and mounted that in place of one of its old plasma cannons. I doubt I'll ever use it (it's so much smaller than even 2nd/3rd edition dreadnoughts, let alone modern Deff Dreads) but it's absolutely going to be part of my display army.

Karakand

No sir, that's a full on Warlord titan. Looks like they've taken more than a few design ques from the new knights (or possibly the other way around given how long this must have taken to produce), but an average size knight would probably just about come up to its knees. Curiously it looks like they've reduced its height and gone for bulk which will no doubt annoy all those people who think titans should be as big as mountains. Wazdakka certainly wouldn't be able to jump his bike into the command deck of that thing.

Ah thanks, can't say I like merging the two aesthetics--but because it makes knights less anachronistic nonsense in M41 and not because it makes titans look less titan-y.

Karakand

The more I listen to C.Z. Dunn stuff the more I come to realize he's a grade A grimdark troll. I think he just killed off the entire Inquisitorial retinue that had been the main characters for the opening of this book.

Very workmanlike stuff otherwise, but worth a punt if you have the opportunity.

The more I listen to C.Z. Dunn stuff the more I come to realize he's a grade A grimdark troll. I think he just killed off the entire Inquisitorial retinue that had been the main characters for the opening of this book.

Very workmanlike stuff otherwise, but worth a punt if you have the opportunity.

Haha, was that Deathwatch? I read that book about a year ago, I was kinda sad when they were 'killed' off.

I picked up a Deff Dread on eBay a few days ago for £4, looking really quite worse for wear. Anyway, I spent all day yesterday unfucking it and it's looking really quite good, I just need a new engine/set of exhausts and it'll be ready for undercoating.

Thing is, I truly don't understand how it got into such a mess. It had been undercoated in multiple thick layers of white, then green, then black and then red on top of that, with splotches of metal all over.

Also the lower arms had been snapped off and glued to the ends of the upper arms. I don't know why, or what look the previous owner was going for. Thankfully they'd only been superglued (while the original builder had used plastic glue, hence the second or third owner having to snap the lower arms). Also bits left over from the sprue had been haphazardly glued all over the rest of the model.

Anyway, I spent the better part of yesterday stripping it, dismantling what I could, cleaning it up, reassembling it etc. I replaced the lower arms with a Skorcha and a dreadnought close combat weapon left over from my box of Killa Kans and it's looking pretty sweet.

It's always so satisfying to take a big mess of WTF and make it into something that resembles what it originally was.

EYEL1NER

Yay! At the very least that sprue will make converting a decent-looking Ragnar a fair bit easier - that Frost Blade/Chain Sword is pretty much Frostfang.
Ragnar's stats make him seem kind of shitty to me, or at least compared to some of the other Wolf Lords/HQs. But I'm all about stuff looking cool and would field him anyway of he looked good. But he doesn't look good at all. So I haven't felt the need to buy him as of yet. I've got the SW omnibus on its way here so maybe after reading three books about him and the SW, I might feel an attachment to him. Right now though? Not gonna happen.

His model is awful. As I said earlier in the thread I've recently come back to the hobby after a 16+ year absence, I've been blown away by the new kits for things/characters I used to own. Ghazghkull and Deff Dreads in particular have come a hell of a long way, even bog standard plastic marines are so much better now, and yet there's Ragnar in the same old stupid position, his face still lopsided like some kind of stroke victim. It's criminal that he hasn't had a new model yet.

I don't know if I'd ever field him either, it would just be to have him available to my army for old times sake, when I played with him in 2nd Edition he'd steamroll everything he got near. There's one player who, if I play against him now, would do whatever he could to revenge kill a Ragnar for crimes committed to him 20 years ago, which could make for a viable strategy lol.

Karakand

Haha, was that Deathwatch? I read that book about a year ago, I was kinda sad when they were 'killed' off.

Nah it was Pandorax, which so far has been a serviceable listen. The shipmaster of Abaddon's fleet is a traitor White Consul... not every day you get a heretical Smurf.

Plus Huron Blackheart is in it too. <3

Karakand

Hmmm, Pandorax throws a curveball at the Inquisition and Grey Knights origin story.

12 people were brought before Big E by Hype Man M. 4 would found the Inquisition--which no one expected--and the other 8 would found the Grey Knights (to be pedantic, lead the chapter M had already been building). The 8 astartes were all psykers, which more or less rules out Garro or Loken being Janus.

Rubio can't be Janus either, at least if you can trust daemon prince Mortarion to tell the truth.

This all comes from one of the
eight astartes
too. :eek:

E: what if
Sevatar
is
Janus
? :eek: I'll post my insane rationale later.

His model is awful. As I said earlier in the thread I've recently come back to the hobby after a 16+ year absence, I've been blown away by the new kits for things/characters I used to own. Ghazghkull and Deff Dreads in particular have come a hell of a long way, even bog standard plastic marines are so much better now, and yet there's Ragnar in the same old stupid position, his face still lopsided like some kind of stroke victim. It's criminal that he hasn't had a new model yet.

I don't know if I'd ever field him either, it would just be to have him available to my army for old times sake, when I played with him in 2nd Edition he'd steamroll everything he got near. There's one player who, if I play against him now, would do whatever he could to revenge kill a Ragnar for crimes committed to him 20 years ago, which could make for a viable strategy lol.

The new plastic upgrade kit for Space Wolves features all the bits to create a Ragnar that looks good! :)

Yeah that's what I said a few posts ago. It's no substitute for a new miniature but I'm sure we can knock together something respectable fairly easily now.

Tacitus_

OK, time to test whether fairy power spray actually works as a paint stripper. I'll repaint my first minis since they look kinda hideous when they stand next to my newer ones.

I've had several pounds of metal minis sitting in break fluid for about 10yrs now out in the garage. They've been there through all seasons. It will be interesting to see what those look like when I pull them out some day.

I should do that.

What's the worst that could happen? I can still see the orange fluid, but a thick black sludge coats about an inch of the bottom. Primer, no doubt.

I wonder if my new pressure washer will work on them?

Tallied up my Space Wolves and Orks yesterday, without any upgrades or extras and WYSIWYG the Wolves are sitting at just shy of 5k points and the Orks at about 1200. I'm very happy with how both are coming along - lots of options!

OK, time to test whether fairy power spray actually works as a paint stripper. I'll repaint my first minis since they look kinda hideous when they stand next to my newer ones.

It works really well, better than dettol/simple green. Just don't use the lemon/citrus stuff. I'm about to try out some acetone-free nail polish remover on some ancient plastic models to make sure it doesn't eat them before restoring a batch of old marines and orks. I swear by the regular acetone stuff for metal minis.

Tacitus_

It works really well, better than dettol/simple green. Just don't use the lemon/citrus stuff. I'm about to try out some acetone-free nail polish remover on some ancient plastic models to make sure it doesn't eat them before restoring a batch of old marines and orks. I swear by the regular acetone stuff for metal minis.

...shit

So, my mini will be clean and smell fresh tomorrow? (I only put a single one in the bag)

I'm about to try out some acetone-free nail polish remover on some ancient plastic models to make sure it doesn't eat them

It ate them lol

I put in an old Grot and a Space Marine and they came out like well-chewed gum. Ah well, back to power spray. At least this stuff will be ace at cleaning up my old metal Freebooterz and the big box full of metal Blood Angels characters I need to restore.

Tacitus_

Welp, citrus Power Spray did very little. I managed to scrub the front half of the guys helmet horns. Think I'll stick with actual paint remover even though it's pricier.

Karakand

My cockamamie theory about the identity of Janus, first Supreme Grandmaster of the Grey Knights.

There are two important facts about Janus I have come across.

1. He was a psyker. (Source: Epimetheus, one of the original Grey Knights.)
2. His actual identity would rock the foundations of the Imperium if it was known. (Source: Mortarion)

Who fulfills both of these qualities?
Sevatar

1. He was a psyker.
2. Breh was such a fucking hater that
he's the first person to utter the words "death to the false emperor".
I think someone like that being implanted with a gene seed derived from the emperor himself would be a bit scandalous.

Now you might be thinking that's a little superficial, and I'd agree, but there's more to this.

-His
death
is a point of debate amongst the
Night Lords
. i.e. There's a possibility he did in fact survive the Horus Heresy.

-He really disliked demons. When it came out that
Argel Tal
was now a fucking demon, man, he friend broke up with him. Seems like a useful quality for a Grey Knight to have.

-The last time you see
Sevatar
in the Horus Heresy series is
The Long Night
. If you haven't read / listened to that story, it's about his
incarceration
with the
Dark Angels
after
Curze's
lolwut
raid on the Invincible Reason
. Now I'm pretty sure he eventually reunites with his legion because he still
has to have his gauntlets stained the sinner's red
, but the crux of that story (that you should definitely check out!) is that he's realized that his legion stinks, his primarch stinks, and most of all he stinks. At one point he has the chance to escape but instead chooses to ladle out justice and surrender to face justice himself. Definitely a broken man looking for a higher purpose again, sort of exactly the type of traitor legionnaires that have been recruited thus far.

-The name Janus. Not only does #thedualities of that name work with a traitor legionnaire turning loyalist, but in the case of
Sevatar
, it also could apply to
Sevatar
more specifically as his psyker powers were
deliberately masked at his request
so that he could fight as a rank and file astartes instead of in the horror show that was
the Night Lords librarius
. Now that's all well and good, but why should we assume the name is symbolic? Because I believe Epimetheus' is symbolic. That name means something like "foolish" and in the course of Pandorax it comes out that Epimetheus was
one of The Fallen
, who generally are regarded as having been fools instead of basely evil (I realize this may have not actually been the case, the closest I've come to finding something that's come out that sheds more light on these battle-brehs is
Master of the First
, but I'm taking the
Dark Angels
at their word, probably to my detriment).

-His signature weapon is a lot like the force halberd.

When I'm proven right in 10 years (the Horus Heresy series has I think officially gone on longer than the actual Heresy) share this link with all your friends and family. When I'm proven wrong please quote and mock.

Does anybody have any recommendations for Ork HQ choices? I'm swinging towards a Big Mek in Mega Armour with a Kustom Force Field to give my Boyz or Kans/Deff Dread a little more protection while they slog up the board.

In other news, I believe a new Space Marine codex has just been released. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

My thoughts are that the rate they are re-releasing codex is devaluing the IP at an alarming rate. The first Imperial Knight codex was released one year ago and GW has already rolled out a new one? At $50 each? Yikes.

Yeah, it's too soon. Space Marines and Eldar have both had updates within 2 years, and Knights within a year.

I'm worried Tau will be next, after I got the regular and limited edition codex for Tau in 2013. I like shiny new things, but this is too fast. 4-5 years is a good time for a codex to last, I think. 8 years like the last Tau 'dex is too long, but 2 years is way too fast.

AlStrong

My cockamamie theory about the identity of Janus, first Supreme Grandmaster of the Grey Knights.

There are two important facts about Janus I have come across.

1. He was a psyker. (Source: Epimetheus, one of the original Grey Knights.)
2. His actual identity would rock the foundations of the Imperium if it was known. (Source: Mortarion)

Who fulfills both of these qualities?
Sevatar

1. He was a psyker.
2. Breh was such a fucking hater that
he's the first person to utter the words "death to the false emperor".
I think someone like that being implanted with a gene seed derived from the emperor himself would be a bit scandalous.

Now you might be thinking that's a little superficial, and I'd agree, but there's more to this.

-His
death
is a point of debate amongst the
Night Lords
. i.e. There's a possibility he did in fact survive the Horus Heresy.

-He really disliked demons. When it came out that
Argel Tal
was now a fucking demon, man, he friend broke up with him. Seems like a useful quality for a Grey Knight to have.

-The last time you see
Sevatar
in the Horus Heresy series is
The Long Night
. If you haven't read / listened to that story, it's about his
incarceration
with the
Dark Angels
after
Curze's
lolwut
raid on the Invincible Reason
. Now I'm pretty sure he eventually reunites with his legion because he still
has to have his gauntlets stained the sinner's red
, but the crux of that story (that you should definitely check out!) is that he's realized that his legion stinks, his primarch stinks, and most of all he stinks. At one point he has the chance to escape but instead chooses to ladle out justice and surrender to face justice himself. Definitely a broken man looking for a higher purpose again, sort of exactly the type of traitor legionnaires that have been recruited thus far.

-The name Janus. Not only does #thedualities of that name work with a traitor legionnaire turning loyalist, but in the case of
Sevatar
, it also could apply to
Sevatar
more specifically as his psyker powers were
deliberately masked at his request
so that he could fight as a rank and file astartes instead of in the horror show that was
the Night Lords librarius
. Now that's all well and good, but why should we assume the name is symbolic? Because I believe Epimetheus' is symbolic. That name means something like "foolish" and in the course of Pandorax it comes out that Epimetheus was
one of The Fallen
, who generally are regarded as having been fools instead of basely evil (I realize this may have not actually been the case, the closest I've come to finding something that's come out that sheds more light on these battle-brehs is
Master of the First
, but I'm taking the
Dark Angels
at their word, probably to my detriment).

-His signature weapon is a lot like the force halberd.

When I'm proven right in 10 years (the Horus Heresy series has I think officially gone on longer than the actual Heresy) share this link with all your friends and family. When I'm proven wrong please quote and mock.

Thanks! I was waiting for this. XD

Sounds interesting...

Finally picked up a metal Ghazghkull. I don't really know why but it felt like that figure had to be a metal one rather than resin. Anyway, spent a couple of hours drilling holes in him and pinning and glueing him together, bugger me it was not well cast at all. The amount of trimming I had to do just to get parts to fit together was ridiculous. Anyway, he's assembled and man, I know he's an old miniature by now but he's a glorious little model. Ded Killy personified.

Top Bottom