• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

Does anyone have any good suggestions for varnishes? Just finished painting my first pack of 15 Bloodclaws and want to make sure they don't get the paint worn off through use.

primarchs%20big.JPG

i love this pic of some of the primarchs here

although confused

1. who is between Magnus and Khan?

The special editions these days from both GW and Black Library are really nice. The SE Codexes are way too much money though, £100 is too much. £60 was high but reasonable for a collector's edition. I'll cry when a new Tau 'dex comes out and I can't afford the fancy one.

I bought a second box of Skitarii Rangers/Vanguard this week with the last of my free cash for the month, looking forward to having one of each unit built and painted. Might save for a Dunewalker (or dunestalker or dunestrider, whatever it's called) after that, they look sweet.

Looks like it goes:

Sanguinus
Mortarion
Magnus the Red
Angron
Jaghatai Khan
Lorgar
Rogal Dorn
Horus
Fulgrim

Sanguinus, Khan, and Dorn are the only loyalists.

I think he clearly favored Horus overall.

thank you...

did the Emperor favor Horus, because he saw Horus as the "best primarch".. overall...not necessary the best at an individual thing, but the best as a sum of the parts..

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
thank you...

did the Emperor favor Horus, because he saw Horus as the "best primarch".. overall...not necessary the best at an individual thing, but the best as a sum of the parts..

If you believe The Lion he favoured Horus because Horus was the fist primarch he found.

BigDes

I were Sanguinus I'd not be happy about standing next to Mortarian while he's pumping out that fart gas.

Bet the dude smells like a paper mill

Magnus really has the most tragic story of the Traitor Primarchs

i feel like he is the only one out of the traitor primarchs that didn't really want too

but Horus straight up manipulated him to do so

Tacitus_

Magnus really has the most tragic story of the Traitor Primarchs

i feel like he is the only one out of the traitor primarchs that didn't really want too

but Horus straight up manipulated him to do so

Technically he manipulated Russ when he turned the arrest order to a kill order. Then Tzeentch did the rest.

PS: Weren't you a member for a while?

AlStrong

Technically he manipulated Russ when he turned the arrest order to a kill order. Then Tzeentch did the rest.

I thought it was implied that he made a deal with Tzeentch to get the mutations under control early on, pre-heresy.

But yeah... road to hell paved with good intentions etc.

Tacitus_

I thought it was implied that he made a deal with Tzeentch to get the mutations under control early on, pre-heresy.

But yeah... road to hell paved with good intentions etc.

Flat out stated in the Prospero book. I was just clarifying that Horus didn't manipulate Magnus to get him to his side.

Fed49Ev.jpg

Sanguineous has always been my favorite. Actually, the Blood Angels have been my favorite legion since Space Hulk V1 and were further cemented by this iconic cover:

i2ceI1i.jpg

The cover was obviously extremely influential to 40k in general. The colors for apothecaries, death company, and the golden leader were not being produced as miniatures or painted that way at the time. It took almost 2 decades to get the Blood Angels actually looking like that cover.

Tacitus_

didn't the Emperor embarrass Lorgar in front of his own legion, what's the story behind that

Lorgar kept taking too long with his crusade and made everyone worship the emperor as a god. Big E then had one of his cities bombed from orbit to glass and made Lorgar kneel before him in subjugation.

This made Lorgar seek out the Eye of Terror. Oops.

Leunam

He's got the favor of all four Gods, but I don't know if he's more powerful than the Primarchs. Those dudes were combat monsters. He might go toe to toe with Lorgar who was considered the weakest physically.

He's got the favor of all four Gods, but I don't know if he's more powerful than the Primarchs. Those dudes were combat monsters. He might go toe to toe with Lorgar who was considered the weakest physically.

but the stronger primarchs like Russ and Angron would of whooped him?

I'd like to think they would, especially Angron.

how powerful was a single primarch to say a space marine...was it like 1 primarch can beat about 8-10 space marines by himself

so i mean lets say all 18 primarchs decide to rebel....no legions with them..just the 18 of them..

how much damage would they do to the imperium before they were ultimatelly put down by the imperial guard, space marine legions etc.

Jinaar

how powerful was a single primarch to say a space marine...was it like 1 primarch can beat about 8-10 space marines by himself

so i mean lets say all 18 primarchs decide to rebel....no legions with them..just the 18 of them..

how much damage would they do to the imperium before they were ultimatelly put down by the imperial guard, space marine legions etc.

Didn't Perturabo murderate
100 Veteran Terminator units of the Imperial Fists during a space battle
without breaking a sweat? Ya, that happened. Let's not even talk about Angron
(pre-ascension) holding up a Titan's foot from crushing him and Lorgar on Armatura.

Primarchs are badasses.

But 18 against everyone else, they would die. Find them on planet. Blow up planet. Find them on ship, blow up ship. Even army of 18 Primarchs VS the combined might of the Imperium ground based Space Marine/Imperial forces, they would lose. Too much raw firepower.

Tacitus_

It's inconsistent. Guilliman got almost killed by two tactical squads of Alpha Legionnaires when he was out of armor, but on Isstvan the Primarchs absolutely decimated anyone who wasn't a Primarch. Even Lorgar kept reaping normal legionnaires and this was before his power up.

what was the extra process the Emperor did to make the Primarchs as opposed to a regular space marine?

Primarchs come from the Emperor's geneseed. Marines come from their Primarch's geneseed. Also, the Emperor's geneseed went into 20(?) Primarchs and theirs went into hundreds of thousands if marines.

In some chapters, their genes are becoming corrupt or breaking down entirely because its like making a copy of a copy of a copy.

Primarchs come from the Emperor's geneseed. Marines come from their Primarch's geneseed. Also, the Emperor's geneseed went into 20(?) Primarchs and theirs went into hundreds of thousands if marines.

In some chapters, their genes are becoming corrupt or breaking down entirely because its like making a copy of a copy of a copy.

is that why the primarchs were more powerful then, they had a closer link to The Emperor then a regular space marine....

now Angron was considered the most powerful of the primarchs right....

Tacitus_

The best melee fighter, not the most powerful. Probably physically the strongest. Magnus could 1v1 titans easily. Lorgar could contend to the most powerful as well after he stopped giving a fuck and started psychically flinging rhino sized hunks of rock and facetanking plasma blastguns from titans.

I might need to move a bit closer to Nottingham so I can get to Warhammer World easily, it's like 2 hours to get there and 2 hours back again and a £25 total day out .

Moreso because I've got a job interview for a job at the HQ in a couple of weeks...

Tacitus_

Canis Vertex [a Warlord Titan formerly of the Legio Astorum; recovered and repaired by the Pyrae Cult of the Thousand Sons] had been brought down on the killing fields of Coriovallum in the last days of the war by a gargantuan war machine of the greenskin, crudely built in the image of their warlike gods. Defeat seemed inevitable until Magnus stood before the enemy colossus, wielding the power of the aether like an ancient god of war.

Two giants, one mechanical, one a flesh and blood progeny of the Emperor, they had faced each other across the burning ruins, and it seemed the battle's conclusion could not have been more forgone.

But Magnus raised his arms, his feathered cloak billowed by unseen storms, and the full fury of the aether unmade the enemy war-engine in a hurricane of immaterial fire that tore the flesh of reality asunder and shook the world to its very foundations.
- A Thousand Sons, pgs 42-43

Magnus was OP as fuck. He killed a Gargant that had killed a bloody Warlord Titan. Alone.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I might need to move a bit closer to Nottingham so I can get to Warhammer World easily, it's like 2 hours to get there and 2 hours back again and a £25 total day out .

Moreso because I've got a job interview for a job at the HQ in a couple of weeks...

I live within walking distance. Living the dream (well, when the tram works go away).

Good luck!
oh and if you want any tips about living in the area feel free to pm

Leunam

Lorgar was known to be physically the weakest. Besides him, I don't know who else could be bottom tier. I was going to say maybe Corax but even his jump pack is a weapon. Regardless, Lorgar is still incredibly powerful.

Tacitus_

I guess Mortarion would be bottom tier. He would get clowned in primarch vs primarch combat if not for his resiliency. FW has put out stats for some (most? all?) primarchs so you can check out what they think.

Lorgar pre-Dropsite Massacre would be the weakest, but he embraced his power after it and started doing wild psychic stuff and warp magic.

Oh, Alpharius and Omegon are probably weakest since they got the primarch juice split into two.

So my local hardware store has started carrying Warhammer stuff, and I was considering getting into the game. Couple of questions:

1. Should I get the big ass starter box, or am I better off buying the rulebooks and some minis and just starting from there.
  2. Is there any good alternatives to the Citadel paints/tools/etc?

Top Bottom