• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

I never read any of Black Library's Warhammer Fantasy stuff, but I was always lead to believe Gotrek & Felix was alright / decent...

I used to love the Gotrek books but I gave up after Giantslayer, probably because Bill King stopped writing them. Didn't touch most the other Fantasy novels but I do remember reading the Konrad books and thinking they were trash, and that was at a time when I liked almost everything so long as it had GW's name on it.

Karakand

So the next thing for me to read sounds like vengeful spirit, that's the name of Horus' flagship, right?

Yup!

I used to love the Gotrek books but I gave up after Giantslayer, probably because Bill King stopped writing them. Didn't touch most the other Fantasy novels but I do remember reading the Konrad books and thinking they were trash, and that was at a time when I liked almost everything so long as it had GW's name on it.

Ah that makes sense (there being multiple authors), thanks.

Karakand

Peak heresy in Echoes of the Long War: traitor Imperial Guard fighting in
an ork army
. I CAN'T CARRY ALL THIS HERESY BREHS.

EYEL1NER

Peak heresy in Echoes of the Long War: traitor Imperial Guard fighting in
an ork army
. I CAN'T CARRY ALL THIS HERESY BREHS.
After the first book came out and I read a synopsis, I thought "This all sounds stupid as hell." Then I read reviews for later books and thought "Hmm, this might be a good read." Recently I have gone back to "This all sounds stupid as hell."

Tomorrow I've got 24 or so hours of international travel to SE Asia for vacation and plan to take the second Ciaphas Cain omnibus (which I still haven't finished, or even read much of since my last flight back in Feb), the War for the Fang compilation with Battle of the Fang in it, and I think I might take the Eisenhorn trilogy with me. I think I might take the first Ciaphas Cain omnibus with me and reread it too, despite reading if for the first time within the last year. I just love Ciaphas Cain, Jurgen, Amberly Vail, and the Valhallans so much. I really should buy a couple Flashman novels and read those, get a glimpse of who Ciaphas Cain was based off of.

Karakand

They do a decent job of mitigating the stuff that sounds ridiculous in synopses. The downside to that is that the mitigation is accomplished by slowly acclimatizing you to this slice of the story we never knew before and, accordingly, the overall narrative is glacial in its pacing. It's not at all like the Horus Heresy where surprise there's a cold war with an extraterrestrial Majestic 12 and also people are immortal.

My only serious reservation with it is that certain events just aren't mentioned by anyone. I mentioned the Third Founding awhile back, to that I'd add almost no one talking about the First Black Crusade or the death of Sigismund. I get and accept that "everything is canon but not everything is true" in 40K but surely a series about the Imperial Fists and their successors set in the Golden Age of the Imperium / shortly thereafter should talk about that stuff????

Tacitus_

'A Salamanders strike cruiser arrived in-system yesterday, my lord', Thane continued. 'They requested an audience'
'No,' Vulkan replied, still examining the scanner feeds. 'They will operate as part of the force without favour. Seeing me will only... distract them'
'They will be disappointed.'
'That is all?' the primarch said, turning to Thane.

Well, that's that out of the way, I guess.

Karakand

Cold blooded.

From what we've seen of them after the Heresy, the loyalist primarchs seem, well, a bit off no? (And the ones we haven't have their own strangeness to the ends of their stories... the Khan and Dorn come to mind.)

I wonder if there's a big twist coming in HH that scars them all psychologically and breaks them. The only other explanation I can think of is that they were engineered to work at a suboptimal level without Big E. (Similar to the Thunder Warriors.)

Tacitus_

Well Vulkan seemed really moody about the current state of the Imperium. The book was full of his musings on how everything sucked and how the Big E's dream was dead. I'd guess the rest of them didn't take it too well either and that's why they buggered off.

Karakand

Oh man, the Executioners and the Soul Drinkers are at the
second
battle of
Ullanor.
Canon saved by... Gav Thorpe???

Also, hells fucking yeah at the thrown together
ordinatus
at the same battle. That was almost as fan service-y as the stormbird in the first book of the series, and reminded me of Helsreach a lot.

Sucks that the latest book is by David Annandale. Maybe writing about something important will fire him up...

derFeef

If anyone hasn't seen it yet, the first 8 minutes of the fan movie "The Lord Inquisitor" have been released. https://youtu.be/cZc6cr6G2E4

I think it's prett good overall ,especially for a 5 people (?) crew. I have some issues with the characters and some scenes, but it's far better than the last few CG movies/videos that ame out. Hopefully they can get some funding and more manpower.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So there's a manga I've already been evangelizing on OT called My Hero Academia. They introduced a new character that I'm pretty sure is a homage to Warhammer 40K.

Oj1IE8W.png

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw an advert for Warhammer 40k on TV. I think that is the first time I have seen GW advertise on TV since the 80s.

If I didn't already have half the books this would be really tempting.

EYEL1NER

Just saw an advert for Warhammer 40k on TV. I think that is the first time I have seen GW advertise on TV since the 80s.
In the UK, I imagine? I can't believe that there would be an ad for 40K anything here in the US, or at least not until the Build + Paint Kits release in big-box stores in November (and I think commercials for those is still probably a long-shot).
If I didn't already have half the books this would be really tempting.
Buddy of mine went all-in for the entire set. I think he mainly has e-books of most of the series and wanted some physical copies anyway. Wish I could have convinced myself...

Tacitus_

The new book in The Beast Arises... yow

There are six Beasts. They've got to pull some plot magic in the last two books.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
In the UK, I imagine? I can't believe that there would be an ad for 40K anything here in the US, or at least not until the Build + Paint Kits release in big-box stores in November (and I think commercials for those is still probably a long-shot).

Buddy of mine went all-in for the entire set. I think he mainly has e-books of most of the series and wanted some physical copies anyway. Wish I could have convinced myself...

The UK,during Dara Obriain's Go 8bit. I have seen the ad few times now.

EYEL1NER

Whelp, I'm seriously bumming right now. I just finished Defender of the Imperium, the second Ciaphas Cain omnibus. I want more Cain but prefer to buy an omnibus rather than individual volumes. There has been enough material for a third omnibus (three more books and a short story) but book number 9 came out in 2013 and there hasn't been any talk that I can find of a third omnibus. So I need to buy books 7, 8, and 9 individually? I could, but I know that as soon as I do, they'll announce the third omnibus.
Maybe I'll wait it out a bit and buy a couple of the Flashman books to tide me over, since the character of Cain is supposed to be inspired partly by Flashman.

Been progressing through Horus Heresy.

I have now read through:

Horus Rising
False Gods
Galaxy in Flames
The Flight of the Eisenstein
Fulgrim

and have these in waiting:

The First Heretic
Know No Fear
Betrayer

Started The First Heretic last night and so liked what I read a lot. Just through the prologue and the first chapter though.

As you can see, this is the point where I steered from the book numbering. Let's see how well I can keep track of the events.

manfestival

So Eternal Crusade apparently actually launched.... it's so bad. Game feels like an early alpha test still.

I have been wondering why there hasnt been a thread for this. I have so much about this game that I want to talk about. I got it for free but I cant stop playing it despite how bad it is lol

I have been wondering why there hasnt been a thread for this. I have so much about this game that I want to talk about. I got it for free but I cant stop playing it despite how bad it is lol

Pretty much everyone in the early testing themselves are like "wtf, how is this released?!" They set a release date and just said the game is launched, it's so far from done it's sad.

manfestival

Pretty much everyone in the early testing themselves are like "wtf, how is this released?!" They set a release date and just said the game is launched, it's so far from done it's sad.

well its released under the guise of early release it seems. lots of potential for the game to be great but it is fun... mostly

EYEL1NER

I would buy the console version of Eternal Crusade no matter what the quality appeared to be except they "paused" development of the console versions over the summer. So who knows where those will go.

manfestival

I would buy the console version of Eternal Crusade no matter what the quality appeared to be except they "paused" development of the console versions over the summer. So who knows where those will go.

I say its worth buying honestly... maybe not at its price but it is really cool and I have had a ton of really fun moments in the game

Karakand

The new book in The Beast Arises... yow

There are six Beasts. They've got to pull some plot magic in the last two books.

This book starts really dull (to the point where I almost tabled it), but then Slaughter
executes
a
High Lord
, reinstates
the Imperial Truth
, and
gets killed

Also there's some awesome Black Templar moments and a sprinkling of Soul Drinkers love. <3

Been progressing through Horus Heresy.

I have now read through:

Horus Rising
False Gods
Galaxy in Flames
The Flight of the Eisenstein
Fulgrim

and have these in waiting:

The First Heretic
Know No Fear
Betrayer

Started The First Heretic last night and so liked what I read a lot. Just through the prologue and the first chapter though.

As you can see, this is the point where I steered from the book numbering. Let's see how well I can keep track of the events.

At some point in the series, you need to follow storylines then actually books.

EYEL1NER

I say its worth buying honestly... maybe not at its price but it is really cool and I have had a ton of really fun moments in the game
My buddy has been playing it since whenever the first access for Founders was given last year sometime and has had nothing but cool things to say about it. Once they announced the console ports, I decided I was "in," but I won't be playing it if hose don't get released. It looks like my kind of 40K game though.
I guess a new trailer for Deathwing came out though, so maybe I'll be able to get my fix from that (except I'll on,y be able to play as those damn Dark Angels... maybe other factions will come out via DLC and I can use Wolf Guard Terminators).

I found out that a local tattoo artist does miniature painting to stay up on her skills with details, so that is cool news. I don't think I'll ever get my Ork, Slace Wolf, Necron, or GK armies onto a table, but I'll at least be able to get Leman Russ painted when I get my hands on one. I'll be damned if I am going to personally slap a garbage paint job on a $130+ FW Primarch... I'll pay to make sure it looks as nice as it deserves.

manfestival

My buddy has been playing it since whenever the first access for Founders was given last year sometime and has had nothing but cool things to say about it. Once they announced the console ports, I decided I was "in," but I won't be playing it if hose don't get released. It looks like my kind of 40K game though.
I guess a new trailer for Deathwing came out though, so maybe I'll be able to get my fix from that (except I'll on,y be able to play as those damn Dark Angels... maybe other factions will come out via DLC and I can use Wolf Guard Terminators).

I found out that a local tattoo artist does miniature painting to stay up on her skills with details, so that is cool news. I don't think I'll ever get my Ork, Slace Wolf, Necron, or GK armies onto a table, but I'll at least be able to get Leman Russ painted when I get my hands on one. I'll be damned if I am going to personally slap a garbage paint job on a $130+ FW Primarch... I'll pay to make sure it looks as nice as it deserves.

deathwing does look pretty good. I will say that you will miss out on one of the better experiences. Such as ork chat or just heretical things while playing as a space marine

Olengie

Really want to play Deathwing.

Want to play Eternal Crusade but don't know. Really enjoyed Space Marine MP.

Also a big fan of the Soul Drinkers. xD

well its released under the guise of early release it seems. lots of potential for the game to be great but it is fun... mostly

It's no longer under early release, that's the problem. The game is considered full launched now.

The game is really sloppy, could have been good but it's a balance mess while they keep adding to the game, while everything is such a cluster of problems. Shooting is so useless in the game, orks are so bad at everything, the game is pretty much all about melee combat which feels completely random in hit allocation.

They launched the game, so it went out to review, and it's getting slaughtered everyhwere, not boding well for it's longevity.

They know they launched in a bad state, they are promising a big patch weekly for it, but yea... this needed alot more work, and so much of the original plan for it has been cut

manfestival

I would like to know the lore better for warhammer 40k. Are there any good videos that describe this or videobook things? I really dont want to read books

Mindwipe

I'm not in love with that Magnus model. It's fixable though (needs more shoulder bulk, both in musculature and armour, like the Ulanor art), the outstretched arm needs rotating, the back leg should be standing on something to tilt him forward a bit, and his hair... just needs to look less stupid.

I thought GW were past some of those errors with big plastic models tbh.

Best Primarch of all time in terms of accomplishments

Saved whatever was left of the Imperium after the Heresy

Invented the Codex Astartes and re-invented the military structure for the imperium

Complete Tactical/Strategic genius

GuillimanArtBook.jpg

Top Bottom