• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

G5FolFA.jpg

I do hope they make Fulgrim next. Would really like to kill him on the table.

Tacitus_

He's just missing by omission, not actually gone though. There's nothing to stop GW writing a story saying he's popped out of the EOT a bit.

Yes. Missing, like I said. He's supposedly chilling on the Pleasure Planet, but no one knows as he hasn't been seen since he nearly killed Girlyman.

Arkanius

The trick to 40K is not to try and take it all in at once and to build your understanding of it gradually. The "broad strokes" of the lore are pretty simple, but they're sandwiched between tomes of minutiae that's written for us dweebs that have been following this shit for decades now. To wit:

Hyperspace is extremely dangerous in 40K. (Why it's dangerous is a complicated answer best examined later.)

Ships get lost in it, and not infrequently either. It's totally unpredictable what happens to those ships once they get lost there. Sometimes they collide with other ships that are in hyperspace too and fuse into bigger pieces of debris called space hulks.

Sometimes those space hulks inexplicably emerge from hyperspace. And sometimes they emerge in human space. What's the big deal about that you might wonder. Well, there's two primary issues with that:

1. Security - Aside from the fact that they're unpredictable, space hulks can be full of dangerous aliens... or other organisms that aren't exactly aliens but are also super dangerous. Some human systems are sparsely populated in 40K, others contain trillions of people, but in either case it's customary to send people aboard a space hulk to make sure that it's not a threat to solar system or even interstellar security.

2. Technology - 40K is a post-apocalyptic universe and a component of that post-apocalyptic society is that human technology is almost exclusively the purview of a religious order called the Adeptus Mechanicus. This organization doesn't do a real good job at developing new technology despite having near infinite access to it, however. In fact, they actually lose the knowledge on how to operate, construct, or repair technologies to the point where the prequel series to 40K (the Horus Heresy) has stuff in it that might as well be science fiction in the 41st millennium. So the only reliable source of new technology in 40K is finding it in working order and since space hulks have been getting lost in hyperspace for at least 10,000 year now, they can be a source of priceless technology.

That helped me imensely.
I'll read the wiki articles you guys suggested as well.
Thanks

The concept of the Space Hulk is fascinating. An amalgamation of lost spaceships...

Is anyone here anywere near Warhammer World? Recently I've been thinking of finishing off my Tau and getting back into W40K but i don't have anyone to play with. Not sure though as I'd need to buy the latest codex and rulebook which would be pretty expensive.

Zackat

tIEiyz2.png

I am distracting myself from current events making these things lol. Like those adult coloring books kind of therapy.

I think I missed a few, but I know there is one for the Crimson King (Graham Mcneil book for Horus Heresy) and one for the Lucius the Eternal book.

man, can't wait.

Fou-Lu

Space Marines are cool and all, but I really wish there was more on the Eldar. Games, movies, comics, books, whatever. Coolest Space Elves in existence.

Zackat

oDhEIZ7.png

feel free to use these, anyone who is lurking.

this one is pretty rad

I am pretty happy with how space hulk: deathwing is looking. I will probably pre order it sometime soon. How do you guys feel? It is pretty cool to see some AAA games being made with this property.

Karakand

That helped me imensely.
I'll read the wiki articles you guys suggested as well.
Thanks

The concept of the Space Hulk is fascinating. An amalgamation of lost spaceships...

Happy to help. Feel free to ask about anything else and I'll try to give a curated answer (reading Wikis gets taxing sometimes, to say nothing of the politics that shape the content in Lexicanum and the Warhammer 40K Wikia).

Karakand

It's not a very well put together, and it's full of filler, but I have a soft spot for the Eisenhorn: Xenos game so far. I really enjoy the fact that their image of the story is nothing like the one I'd come up with in my head while reading the series, especially Hubris.

Between that and geeking out at an Alpha Legionnaire saying
"I am Alpharius,"
in Praetorian of Dorn, I worry that I'm actually tsundere for Abnett-kun.

Tacitus_

Holy fucking shit.
The Beheading (novel) spoilers:
Kyril Sindermann was alive during War of the Beast. You know, the old Iterator from the Great Crusade. And he is one of the four original Inquisitors. And saw Emperor waste Horus. Which makes him about 1500 years old at this point.

Holy fucking shit.
Kyril Sindermann was alive during War of the Beast. You know, the old Iterator from the Great Crusade. And he is one of the four original Inquisitors. And saw Emperor waste Horus. Which makes him about 1500 years old at this point.

That was such a good part in the book. Another good part is what happen to Ullanor after the War of the Beast.

Karakand

Holy fucking shit.

"We are mighty because we are right, Garviel. We are not right because we are mighty. Vile the hour when that reversal becomes our credo."

Fou-Lu

These minis are blowing my mind. Thousand Sons were one of the first things to get me into 40k and I have always hoped they would make a return to glory one day. The Rubrics are sooooo good and the Tzaangors might be one of the best things to ever come out of 40k model wise.

Tzeentch

Most of this was hinted at by rumor folks a month or so ago, but they managed to exceed even the most over-hyped expectations.

There has NEVER been a better time to be a Tzeentch fanboy, and I have high hopes that the rules will be good for 40K (they've been on a roll with the mini-factions).

White Dwarf leaks:
TRAITOR LEGIONS 'Nine is the magic number this month, as within this 136-page softback supplement to Codex Space Marines are army special rules, exclusive Detachments, Warlord Traits, Tactical Objectives and Chaos Artefacts for each of the Traitor Legions - the nine legions who followed their Primarchs into treachery and heresy as they turned from the Emperor's light. (avail 10 Dec)
IMPERIAL AGENTS Loyal sons and daughters of the Imperium take heart, as whilst the Ruinous Powers may seek to be in ascendance as the year wanes, the God-Emperor's most righteous agents stalk the stars ready to enact his will.
Codex: Imperial Agents contains nine subfactions of the Imperial war-machine, from agents of the Inquisition to Wyrdvane Psykers of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica to reinforce your armies of the Imperium. After all, Deathwatch Kill Teams and Imperial Assassins are just as likely to be found working alongside regiments of the Astra MIlitarum or Space Marine strike forces as they are working by themselves, giving the Armies of the Imperium increased tactical choice and scope to conquer any foe.
Within this volume you'll find background and rules for using nine smaller factions alongside your existing armies of the Imperium, from the Grey Knight Terminator squads to the BATTLE SISTERS OF THE ADEPTA SORORITAS.

...and GW has quickly confirmed it, hah:
This December, all is Dust… (and loads of new books)

Change is well and truly on it’s way folks.

This December sees the return of a demi-god to the Warhammer 40,000 universe, and nothing will be the same again.

Lets just take a moment to let that sink in, Magnus the Red is back. A Daemon Primarch from the Eye of Terror has returned to claim a vengeance denied to him for 10,000 years. We’re not 100% sure what his goals are for returning, but one thing’s for sure: we sure wouldn’t want to be the guys who burned his planet…

The model is not only incredibly detailed, it’s also absolutely huge: eye to single-eye with an Imperial Knight on the tabletop. And he’s not alone. A veritable legion of miniatures accompany him, some of whom you can see above – new Rubric Marines was perhaps to be expected, but there are also Terminators, disk-riding sorcerers and more. All these will be covered in the new Wrath of Magnus book, part II in the War Zone: Fenris saga.

But that’s not all,

December also sees more books on the way that all Chaos Space Marine and Imperial commanders should immediately be adding to their Gift Lists. We’ll have more details on all of these for you soon, but for the moment, here’s a tantalising glimpse into the covers of the future:

traitor-legions-389x500.jpg
imperial-agents-legions-389x500.jpg

imperialis-389x500.jpg
chaotica-389x500.jpg
http://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/11/19/this-december-all-is-dust-and-loads-of-new-books/

The Imperial Agents book is a nice callback the black codex. Also a clever way of getting people to buy more models without putting them off with the need to get several more codices to use them.

I haven't played since about 4th edition, what's the problem with the rules?

It's a mess at this point. They've kept adding in more and more rules and just made it a pain to play. Even army composition is a good deal more complicated these days. I also don't like how bloated armies have become but that's a separate issue.

It's a mess at this point. They've kept adding in more and more rules and just made it a pain to play. Even army composition is a good deal more complicated these days. I also don't like how bloated armies have become but that's a separate issue.

Can you give me some examples of the sort of thing you mean? I've been thinking about getting back into 40K recently but i don't really know how it's changed since 4th edition, other than there's now a psychic phase and allies.

The latest rumours for 8th edition next year sound fairly promising to me:
- GW is borrowing some rules mechanics form Age of Sigmar to pull over into the new edition.
- Look for an emphasis on ease of play, especially for new players.
- Look for the variable-stats-based-on-damage rule mechanic seen on some Age of Sigmar monsters to make it’s way into the Grimdark.
- Look for Psychics to be greatly simplified.
- Army construction will not be constrained.
- Some version of AoS Warscrolls will make their way into the game.
- The game will retain it’s gameplay and tactical depth, and not come anywhere near AoS’s tiny 4 pages of rules.
- GW’s design goal is to maintain 40K’s depth of tactics and play, while speeding up playtime and removing needless detail.

If they can meet that goal of making it easy to get into, but with gameplay and tactical depth, I think they'll be onto a winner.

If they can meet that goal of making it easy to get into, but with gameplay and tactical depth, I think they'll be onto a winner.

In what way are the rules hard to get into? As someone who has only played 4th edition (and that was about 10 years ago) i'm a bit worried about those 8th edition rumours implying things will be simplified considering what i've seen of AoS. I can understand if something like the psychic phase is complicated, but the words "ease of play" are meaningless to me as i haven't played 7th, yet also have me a bit concerned that it'll vastly change the core gameplay. Can someone clarify it for me? What sort of problems are there that it could mean?

Changing specific rules i can understand, but if they do something like remove vehicle armour values or any of the stats that would put me off playing.

These sounds good to me. I would figure that they would use Age of Sigmar rules into the new edition.

Can you give me some examples of the sort of thing you mean? I've been thinking about getting back into 40K recently but i don't really know how it's changed since 4th edition, other than there's now a psychic phase and allies.

There's so much new stuff that I don't have time to go into it now but I'll try and give more details tomorrow. I'll just say that it feels like it's exceeded the worst excesses of 2nd edition.

Fou-Lu

I haven't played since about 4th edition, what's the problem with the rules?

The army building rules are all over the place. Allies, formations and the weird force organization charts make it so you put almost anything on the table and call it an 'army'. Plus there are so many little formations and organization charts out there that it's hard to keep track of if your opponent's army is even legal. There are super heavies and flyers in regular games now each with their own rules. There are more special rules that ever. Summoning is ridiculous unless they've nerfed it since I last looked. Newer psychic powers are getting more and more powerful. Codices are likely more out of balance with each other than ever before, armies like Chaos Marines and Orks can barely compete at all. Random charges are AWFUL IMO.

On the plus side, fluff is actually advancing and a lot of the new minis are damn pretty. There's a new website with actual content and they have a facebook presense now! GW has started releasing discounted boxes that feel like a reasonable price and their team really seems to finally be looking to their community and to the future. As much as I dislike 7th edition I have a bit of confidence that 8th will not be so bad and might actually pull me back in for real.

The army building rules are all over the place. Allies, formations and the weird force organization charts make it so you put almost anything on the table and call it an 'army'. Plus there are so many little formations and organization charts out there that it's hard to keep track of if your opponent's army is even legal. There are super heavies and flyers in regular games now each with their own rules. There are more special rules that ever. Summoning is ridiculous unless they've nerfed it since I last looked. Newer psychic powers are getting more and more powerful. Codices are likely more out of balance with each other than ever before, armies like Chaos Marines and Orks can barely compete at all. Random charges are AWFUL IMO.

On the plus side, fluff is actually advancing and a lot of the new minis are damn pretty. There's a new website with actual content and they have a facebook presense now! GW has started releasing discounted boxes that feel like a reasonable price and their team really seems to finally be looking to their community and to the future. As much as I dislike 7th edition I have a bit of confidence that 8th will not be so bad and might actually pull me back in for real.

So it seems there were a lot of problems that 7th introduced then, hopefully it's that sort of thing that gets simplified with 8th and not so much changes to the core gameplay that has been there for several editions, which is what i was concerned about.

In what way is the lore advancing, though? W40K is a setting, telling new stories within that setting is obviously fine but i don't think moving everything forward like with the WHF end times would be a good thing. I seriously hope it's not to that sort of level.

Yeah, these days it's easy to get confused over how to even write a list properly - I mean, it's not just a simple force org chart any more, right out of the gate you're looking at unbound, bound, battleforged, primary detachments, combined arms detachments, allied detachments, codex detachments, battlefield roles, formations, dataslates etc, what is and isn't a legal combination, and what the requirements and special rules are. That's already enough to make newcomers go cross-eyed, without even playing yet.

The game is currently collapsing in on itself due to the sheer amount of rules - too many rules brings unnecessary complexity, drags out games making them less fun, and adds extra barriers of entry for newcomers. They need to get back to having a solid, straightforward core set of rules.

On the lore side of things, it's already expanding, but I doubt they'll blow up the universe and build a new setting with some old faces like they did with Fantasy. Instead, I think they'll push a bit closer to complete doom, and I think it'll be fun - I'm pretty excited about the rumours of loyalist primarchs returning for instance.

Tacitus_

In what way is the lore advancing, though? W40K is a setting, telling new stories within that setting is obviously fine but i don't think moving everything forward like with the WHF end times would be a good thing. I seriously hope it's not to that sort of level.

Warzone: Fenris is about to get into its second half and there was a big IoM vs Tau campaign earlier this year that saw huge losses for both sides (mostly for Imperial), before IoM had to leg it to Cadia to stop Abaddon.

Top Bottom