• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Salsa

That quote is idiotic, but people saying that this game doesnt owe anything to Gears are just in denial or something. I mean what's the problem with that? it does feel a bit like gears except for the fact that its biggest mechanic (cover) is nowhere to be seen.

markot

Banned
Salazar said:
On the level at which a brain damaged raccoon would interpret it, Space Marine is STILL not a Gears clone.
Its a third person shooter with melee, ITS PRETTY MUCH THE CLONE OF CLONES!

daedalius

SalsaShark said:
That quote is idiotic, but people saying that this game doesnt owe anything to Gears are just in denial or something. I mean what's the problem with that? it does feel a bit like gears except for the fact that its biggest mechanic (cover) is nowhere to be seen.

I don't think anyone is saying SM doesn't owe anything to Gears. Gears is an excellent game and SM took the parts that worked to make it Space Marine-ish; but you could say that about any 3rd person shooter in recent years really.

However, saying its a clone of gears; well, that just isn't true at all. Playing both, I don't understand how you could really say the playstyle is similar.

Multiplayer as a Tactical Marine might be about as close as you get; but single player isn't similar at all.

SalsaShark said:
What do you think it owes to gears exactly?

Salsa

elrechazao said:
What do you think it owes to gears exactly?

Its hard to pin down, cause anything i could say on paper could be applied to any third person shooter, but when you play it, it feels a tad like Gears, until you explore the game's unique mechanics and different stuff it has from it.

Its hard not to make the comparission, its what im saying, and not solely based in the fact that the huge space marines look like those buff dudes from gears.

Salazar

SalsaShark said:
That quote is idiotic, but people saying that this game doesnt owe anything to Gears are just in denial or something.

It doesn't play at all like it. At least, the optimal and intuitive ways to play it are markedly removed from what you do in Gears. The fact that you can have only about 25% of your combat approach (I know that's a low estimate, but I'm dealing in unusual scenarios) constituted by shooting should be a signal.

SalsaShark said:
Its hard to pin down, cause anything i could say on paper could be applied to any third person shooter, but when you play it, it feels a tad like Gears, until you explore the game's unique mechanics and different stuff it has from it.

Its hard not to make the comparission, its what im saying, and not solely based in the fact that the huge space marines look like those buff dudes from gears.
I think people confuse the aesthetic, which gears took from space marine inspired stuff in the first place, for gameplay, which is completely unlike gears at all.

Salsa

elrechazao said:
I think people confuse the aesthetic, which gears took from space marine inspired stuff in the first place

yeah that's obviously the case, but i have a hard time thinking this game would be exactly like this if a game like Gears hadnt ever come out, you know.

Maybe even as a market decision. The fact that a game like Gears succeed must certainly made the decision to make this game easier for THQ. The games could seem similar on the surface and that could be a plus regarding sales, specially on the console market wich isnt too familiar with the Warhammer lore.

markot

Banned
SalsaShark said:
yeah that's obviously the case, but i have a hard time thinking this game would be exactly like this if a game like Gears hadnt ever come out, you know.
I think thats true, but thats how this smelly industry works >.<

SalsaShark said:

I see three commonalities:

1. The d-pad weapon switch.
2. Big guys in big armor.
3. Ruined gothic architecture.

Gameplay wise they have absolutely nothing to do with each other, even if they share some aesthetics. And of course the Warhammer look has been copied in gaming almost more than Aliens, but many people don't know any better.

elrechazao said:
I think people confuse the aesthetic, which gears took from space marine inspired stuff in the first place, for gameplay, which is completely unlike gears at all.
One of these days I'll learn to get my points across in fewer words, like this. ;P

Kalnos

Banned
SalsaShark said:

Maybe even as a market decision. The fact that a game like Gears succeed must certainly made the decision to make this game easier for THQ. The games could seem similar on the surface and that could be a plus regarding sales, specially on the console market wich isnt too familiar with the Warhammer lore.

Have you ever played Dawn of War 2? If you zoom in and watch your units, it's basically like watching Space Marine from a top down view instead of controlling one marine from a third person view, executions and all. The game is similar to Gears aesthetically, but the similarities end there I think.

I find the most confusing part of that "review" not so much the writing, but the fact the fellow is from the UK. Now, I'm not suggesting that English citizenship should be measured in the size of your Bretonnian army nor your subscription to 2000AD, but surely there should have been some sort of recognition of the utterly British source material and its flow-on...rather than make strange comparisons that don't even ring true.

Salsa

Kalnos said:
Have you ever played Dawn of War 2? If you zoom in and watch your units, it's basically like watching Space Marine from a top down view instead of controlling one marine from a third person view, executions and all. The game is similar to Gears aesthetically, but the similarities end there I think.

I think the points i made on the specific post you quoted had nothing to do with this :/

Also dont try to think im saying this as anything close to "this is a gears clone", i knew about the Warhammer universe way before gears of course and i know that aesthetic-wise it goes the other way around. And yeah ive played DOW and DOW 2.

Im sticking with the second part of what you quoted though, that's what i was mainly trying to say. I think its probable we wouldnt have a game like this if it wasnt for what Gears did to the industry, showing that there's a mainstream audience for stuff like this. There, i think that's better worded.

Salazar said:
Well, he does say they "flagrantly ape" the d-pad weapon switch. I think that's his justification, really.

His website:

http://hypermissile.wordpress.com/about/

Staggering that somebody so prestigiously educated could write something so fucking thick.
You are getting really angry at someone for making an observation that isn't too far from the truth.

Oh and no one is talking about the IP. They're talking about the gameplay, I'm pretty sure Warhammer didn't define how TPS games are played in its codex.

That said, while there is a strong Gears influence particularly in the weight and movement of the characters (check the sprint as well), it is certainly not a clone. It's more like Dynasty Warriors meets Gears of War.

Fëanor

MP is nice, haven't had much of lag on pc.

Lass Cannon is all kinds of awesome. Fucking copy cats after they see my awesomeness with it though.

Salsa

FieryBalrog said:
You are getting really angry at someone for making an observation that isn't too far from the truth.

Yeah also this

I dont get why people are trying to defend this game so hard. Heck i dont even like Gears, at all, but it made a serious impact in what the industry is today, specially in games like these. Why would anyone get mad if it was in fact true that they took d-pad switching/whatever other mechanic from Gears? this is clearly a very different (and albeit superior) game.

Salazar

FieryBalrog said:

Less angry than exhaustedly bemused with the lazy recycling of nonsense.

SalsaShark said:
Yeah also this

I dont get why people are trying to defend this game so hard.

I would defend shovelware against bullshit reviewing. It was vaguely comical when Dean Takahashi did it in a weak-ass excuse for a preview. People should try harder in reviews.

SalsaShark said:
I dont get why people are trying to defend this game so hard.
It happens on GAF all the time, you get a game that is slightly underrated or not reviewed super well, but happens to be the special favorite of some posters (usually part of this being the source material, like here), and you get a lot of hype explosion and white-knighting.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
FieryBalrog said:

Oh and no one is talking about the IP. They're talking about the gameplay, I'm pretty sure Warhammer didn't define how TPS games are played in its codex.

That said, while there is a strong Gears influence particularly in the weight and movement of the characters (check the sprint as well), it is certainly not a clone. It's more like Dynasty Warriors meets Gears of War.
The comparison to Gears of War sells both games short. They occupy two very different gameplay spaces. The closest thing to Space Marine is Orks Must Die.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
So, is anyone else out there running at a 4x3 resolution and experiencing the skewed HUD?

Screenshot gallery at 1600x1200 on a native 1600x1200 screen:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/K o m b o loi/screenshot/540652982212403487

EDIT: Get rid of the spaces between K o m b o loi in the url to see what I'm talking about - Neogaf hates my nick. ;_;

Will let the Orcs and Chaos rampage until Relic fixes this.

Salsa

Salazar said:
I would defend shovelware against bullshit reviewing.

Oh the review is bullshit for sure, but i think mainly from other reasons, or rather his wording. There's a difference between saying "its a gears clone" and "the fact that gears exists probably has something to do with this game existing" wich is what im saying and people still go up in arms about it!

Kalnos

Banned
I think your argument Salsa, should be that Gears inspired a console release of the game because it proved a TPS could thrive there. I would agree with that. The DoW games, Warhammer MMO, etc. show that Relic/Games Workshop is willing to take risks on the PC.

I don't think that the game 'owes' anything to Gears of War though.

Salazar

On a more positive front, it is awesome when you are running and you see some orks and just keep on fucking running straight into them. That charge is god-tier.

Kalnos said:
I don't think that the game 'owes' anything to Gears of War though.
The game has changed its design in a major way at least twice. I'm pretty sure the developers were very aware of Gears of War when they settled on this version.

The game started off very different, designed as a four-player co-op TPS with heavy tactical elements and squad based missions.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
duffyside said:
What's the difficulty consensus? Is there a super-hard mode to unlock at higher difficulties?

All the difficulties are available from the start. It's a challenging game but in a fair way. No real cheap deaths here.

FieryBalrog said:
The game started off very different, designed as a four-player co-op TPS with heavy tactical elements and squad based missions.
I could definitely see this.

There are a lot of Dawn of War 2 elements that could be re-imagined to work well with what they've made in Space Marine. Something that adds gameplay between battles and lends flavor to the core of ultra violence without turning it into a Band of Brothers type game. Customization and extremely light RTS aspects or even just call-in support options would be ace though.

Sinatar said:
All the difficulties are available from the start. It's a challenging game but in a fair way. No real cheap deaths here.
Some deaths may feel cheap at first because the game really compels you to be hyper aggressive. But there is cover in the game, and its there for a reason, along with the defensive combat roll. So you need to respect ranged attackers, prioritizing them or blocking their line of sight when pulling off executions. Maintain those shields and back off if you've been stripped of their protection, and learn the timing of your combos against bigger foes so that you're not just standing there as they wail on you with their big attacks.

Against the horde you can survive by just plowing into them and going nuts, but against more specialized units and boss units you'll do best to mix things up offensively and defensively.

That or break into fury and just lay some fucking waste. That works too ;P

Xevren

I'm in love with the multiplayer. Played a few levels of the campaign and decided to try it out and having way too much fun.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
SalsaShark said:

Its the weight of the character, perspective of the camera, and how they move.

The actual gameplay is nothing like it once you get down to it, but the viewpoint they designed the game to be played it, is very similar to how Gears is. Take it as you can say they used Gears as an influence for it, or its just how you would expect a game with weight and a 3rd person shooting aspect is supposed to be played(While still being fast pace and responsive towards the change between melee and shooting).

NullPointer said:
I could definitely see this.

There are a lot of Dawn of War 2 elements that could be re-imagined to work well with what they've made in Space Marine. Something that adds gameplay between battles and lends flavor to the core of ultra violence without turning it into a Band of Brothers type game. Customization and extremely light RTS aspects or even just call-in support options would be ace though.
I really feel that Space Marine could have benefited greatly from borrowing more from Dawn of War. More wargear (iron halos, teleportation packs, rally flags, melta bombs, blind grenades, etc..) actual abilities (orbital strike, invulnerability, war cry, etc..) and certainly some RPG style level up/customization. I think all of that would have served to make Space Marine a deeper and more replayable game.

I hope the sequel adds all of that and more. Lots of room of where to go with 40k, so I would really like to see Space marine become a franchise.

Salazar

Starting to give a shit about the achievements.

Just played the Inquisitor demo section. Power axe feels quicker - don't know if I'm imagining that.

Salazar

Pylon_Trooper said:
Do they have stats you can check? Ala, kills, kills with certain weapons, melee etc.?

I think someone said that Steam gives you a basic kill count.

That guillotine execution with the shield is fucking hot.

That's a good start. I suppose Space Marine could offer up one of the more morbid of stats portals. Decapitations, impalings, disembowelings, mince patties made, heads popped...and the list goes on.

Deus Ex unlocked for me, so it'll tide me over until Space Marine gets here.

Salazar

Yeah, complex stats would be excellent.

Drogan looks like a motherfucking badass. I want a cloak. Even though it makes no sense for an astartes to wear a cloak.

Duffyside

Banned
I am initially impressed with Warhammer characters and perhaps the fiction as well. The characters mostly, though. I like how the Ultramarines embody that bad-ass power fantasy all men have, but don't do it by screaming and making shitty dumb remarks; they're actually somehow gentlemanly during it. And their confidence in their abilities reminds me of Batman, which is a big plus.

I like the design of the faces a lot. A game called "Space Marine" doesn't involve a bald space marine, but a dude with a bit of a receding hairline and a part to one side, with a fucked-up face from all the battles he's been in. I may have to try some of these books...

Salazar

And vulnerability during executions is a must.

Such a rush to be about a centimetre from death and then get this big fucking boost at the exact moment that blood and gore goes everywhere.

Boogdud

So I finally tried multi on the 360 after playing about 10 hours of multi on the pc over the last couple days. Night and day. What a horrible time on the 360. *Very* long load times. Several matches with host migrates for minutes at a time, many times not even migrating but just kicking back out to an empty lobby. Every game I played had at least 2-5 people with 1-2 bar connection, who ironically dominated everyone because of the lag. Every game that was lopsided had people jumping at the last minute forcing host migration. It was just brutal.

Just a terrible time on the 360. The pc multi is almost the exact opposite. Quick load times, very few host migrations (I think I've seen like 3), connections are good for all players that get matched for the most part.

Those of you that are only playing on the 360 you have my sympathy. I really thought live might be pretty decent with this game and wow was I wrong.

If there was some cosmic misalignment that made space marine horrible on live tonight, I apologize, but I don't think it was isolated. This was over a period of several hours.

Whats this? A jump pack? OK. And a Thunder Hammer? Well lets just see what happens-

Dear God almighty...

There are no words.

:')

Edit: Out of fuel. NooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Got the Thunder Hammer.

What is this? My eyes are producing moisture. What is this warm feeling? Is this... is this joy? This is what joy feels like?

"I am an instrument of the Emporer's will, trooper."

:O

THIS GAME IS INCREDIBLE.

daedalius

Boogdud said:
So I finally tried multi on the 360 after playing about 10 hours of multi on the pc over the last couple days. Night and day. What a horrible time on the 360. *Very* long load times. Several matches with host migrates for minutes at a time, many times not even migrating but just kicking back out to an empty lobby. Every game I played had at least 2-5 people with 1-2 bar connection, who ironically dominated everyone because of the lag. Every game that was lopsided had people jumping at the last minute forcing host migration. It was just brutal.

Just a terrible time on the 360. The pc multi is almost the exact opposite. Quick load times, very few host migrations (I think I've seen like 3), connections are good for all players that get matched for the most part.

Those of you that are only playing on the 360 you have my sympathy. I really thought live might be pretty decent with this game and wow was I wrong.

If there was some cosmic misalignment that made space marine horrible on live tonight, I apologize, but I don't think it was isolated. This was over a period of several hours.

Hmm, I have had the opposite experience. 360 has been fine for me, no issues other than some shitty hosts a few times. Just about level 25 now.

Fjordson

Boogdud said:

Been the opposite for me. Having a fantastic time on and offline.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
NullPointer said:
I see three commonalities:

1. The d-pad weapon switch.
2. Big guys in big armor.
3. Ruined gothic architecture.

Gameplay wise they have absolutely nothing to do with each other,
I have to disagree just a bit.

Both game use the same control scheme on the 360 version when shooting: Left trigger to aim, right trigger to shoot. Both games have a similar view when shooting: Over the shoulder or from hip view. And this is not a bad thing IMO. Like someone said before, they took some of the best features from Gears (2 of them) and put them in SM.

One would say that Epic could have stolen the symbol from the Adeptus Mechanicum.

Mechanicussymbol.jpg

Crimson_Omen.jpg

But that's just silly. ^.^

Salazar

Vilix said:
I have to disagree just a bit.

Both game use the same control scheme on the 360 version when shooting: Left trigger to aim, right trigger to shoot.

This is platitudinous to even remark on, though.

Top Bottom