• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Unity2012

daedalius said:
I played for like, 4ish hours yesterday multiplayer on 360 and had no issues all day.

I second that as well. No problem during gameplay or between games. The time between games serves me to go back to the customizer and change perks, weapons or whatever I picked up in last battles.

The MP is so much fun! I really was not expecting it to be this good. I am usually a SP guy and rarely stick to MP games; but this game is a fresh welcome. Mind you I am still Level 6 (almost 7-it is obviously easier to level up for Seasoned Multiplayer gamers but it's all right, I am having fun). I look forward to Level up and get more perks, weapons and general stuff.

And the good thing is, they can only improve from here.

Ponti

Hulud said:
The shooting in general is not particularly great in this game.
Personally I find the shooting hugely satisfying, especially the Bolter. Relic absolutely nailed the feel of it, turning a horde of Orks into red mist brings a smile to my face every time.

daedalius

I find the shooting to be fine, I can line up headshots with the stalker all day.

What game has better shooting?

Multiplayer seemed more of an unbalanced clusterfuck at this point, but maybe I just have to level up a bit more.

copy your killer's loadout ;)

Reclaimer

Great single player campaign so far. You really hit the ground running, love it! The feeling of heavy, unstopable power blows away similar games (gears).

Also, great gunplay. Much more polished feeling than I expected. (playing on 360)

Multiplayer seemed more of an unbalanced clusterfuck at this point, but maybe I just have to level up a bit more.

Played some of the multiplayer, intense! I got my ass handed to me until I could find my rythm with the game, I still get destroyed with melee though, AND THE MELTAGUN IS WICKED!

Boogdud

So I'm in the late 20's and I really haven't used the melta all that much. I thought the manual said something about using reload to 'load additional charges' I got it out last night to goof around with and I didn't see any indication that it had an alternate firing mode and the guy didn't act like he did anything when I hit reload repeatedly?

That's one thing they could improve on, they could give some interface indication to let you know what mode you have a weapon in.

daedalius

SublimeO12 said:
so did THQ just send this game out to die? Where are the rest of the reviews on major sites? Launch week is almost over. Sad.

There are quite a few reviews out... what sites are you looking for?

SublimeO12

Neo Member
daedalius said:
There are quite a few reviews out... what sites are you looking for?

There's only 5 reviews on metacritic, compared to, say, the 32 reviews for Dead Island. The game just isn't getting that much exposure.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
SublimeO12 said:
There's only 5 reviews on metacritic, compared to, say, the 32 reviews for Dead Island. The game just isn't getting that much exposure.
THQ probably blew all their money on the Red Faction tv show, action figures, downloadable game, happy meal, candy bar...

Davedough

So loving this game so far. I've only just completed Chapter 1, so I'm savoring every minute of it.

I really hope this game sells well despite the fact that THQ is shitting on it from a PR standpoint. I would love to see sequels, but instead of Warhammer 40k: Space Marine 2, more in the ilk of Warhammer 40k: Chaos Legion or Warhammer 40K: Tyranid, Warhammer 40K: Dark Eldar.... something to showcase the brilliant universe and allow the player to experience playing as a race that isn't the Emperor's choir boys. Dont get me wrong, I love decimating foes with the power of a Space Marine, but I'd love to see something different.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
I'm really confused why this isn't getting more attention, in general. There's hardly any reviews and it seems like its flying completely under the radar of most people.

I get that the colorful aesthetic and IP might turn some people off at first glance - it really is a phenomenal game so far. I'm only at Chapter 7 (I think?), and have gotten to level 6 in MP and consider it a fantastic game.

Whats really sad is it only has 2 weeks to flourish before the onslaught of this fall's games just absolutely destroy it (Gears 3, RAGE, BF3, COD, Skyrim, etc.)

Salazar said:
Edit: They've made some of the orks soak up exactly the right amount of bolter fire before coming apart in a bloody shredded mess.
Agreed entirely on this. They take exactly the right number of shots to kill.

The larger bosses seem to be able to take endless fire though - I'm still not even sure if regular bolter fire actually has any affect on them at all.

VaLiancY said:
That stage was the height of the single player for me.
I think I netted 600 kills in just that area alone :) It was one of the most glorious battles I've had in a long time.

Davedough

NullPointer said:
Agreed entirely on this. They take exactly the right number of shots to kill.

The larger bosses seem to be able to take endless fire though - I'm still not even sure if regular bolter fire actually has any affect on them at all.

I think I netted 600 kills in just that area alone :) It was one of the most glorious battles I've had in a long time.

For the larger bosses, I use that gun (forget the name) that sticks a detonation charge to them and then blow it up. Not only does it take a lot of health, it staggers them.

A couple of screens, 1080p downsized to 720p:

dat titan

sm2wdt3.jpg

dat everything

sm1ndmp.jpg

VaLiancY said:
That stage was the height of the single player for me. I felt like such a fucking boss smacking Orks around and that I always imitate the execution when I catch a Nob with the Thunder Hammer.
NullPointer said:
I believe the mage ork will continuously summon orks in that area untill you kill him. I kept at it for almost 10 mins straight just for fun. It's an area you can farm achievements I guess lol

Mrbob

Heavy said:
I believe the mage ork will continuously summon orks in that area untill you kill him. I kept at it for almost 10 mins straight just for fun. It's an area you can farm achievements I guess lol

Yup. With the Warhammer and Jet Pack I just kept fighting there for awhile too. Felt like such a boss tearing through all the orks.

Davedough

You know, the whole mess about this game not getting the coverage it deserves goes even further. XBL can't even be bothered to put a fucking cover art on the game in their system.

ZmFbL.jpg

KaYotiX

Banned
SP is awesome!! MP is kinda a let down. I was gonna buy it until I Played the MP it just feels crazy, played a few hrs lastnight and either one side dominates or gets dominated.

Still a great game!!

Davedough said:
For the larger bosses, I use that gun (forget the name) that sticks a detonation charge to them and then blow it up. Not only does it take a lot of health, it staggers them.
Vengeance cannon I think - and yeah, I get a lot of mileage out of that one. I usually use it to lay a stream of mines to decimate larger hordes before they face my bolter and axe.

The best bang I've gotten versus larger bosses is the Lascannon. You get a headshot with one of those things and there is literally NOTHING left of your target except a smoking hole in the wall behind them. So good. :)

Davedough said:
You know, the whole mess about this game not getting the coverage it deserves goes even further. XBL can't even be bothered to put a fucking cover art on the game in their system.
Unbelievable.

Davedough

NullPointer said:
Vengeance cannon I think - and yeah, I get a lot of mileage out of that one. I usually use it to lay a stream of mines to decimate larger hordes before they face my bolter and axe.

The best bang I've gotten versus larger bosses is the Lascannon. You get a headshot with one of those things and there is literally NOTHING left of your target except a smoking hole in the wall behind them. So good. :)

Unbelievable.

LOL awesome. I look forward to the lascannon. I haven't gotten that yet.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Hammer + Fury = jizzz all over my face.

Lasecannon + Chaos Marine head shot from 100 yards out = more jizzz all over my face.

Metagun + anything = jizzz all over my face, all over the walls, all over the tv...

Someone hand me a towel.

.la1n

Loving every bit of the SP so far as I knew I would from the demo, I have not had the change to check out multiplayer yet. I agree that there is a lack of advertising for the game and hope that does not cause sales to suffer. I have seen kids picking this up at Target and Wal-mart so perhaps it's not all doom and gloom - the cover of the game helps. I have done my part in convincing friends they need this, even some of what I consider my more gamer savvy friends had not heard of the game or the demo :(

daedalius

Apparently THQ did blow all their money on Red Faction advertising, I guess they expect the 40k fanatics to try and convince everyone else to go buy it.

Not that I personally count on a metacritic score for my gaming tastes... I guess maybe some people do.

This is one of those games where the reviews aren't going to do the game justice.

Like I've said before I think a lot of the low scores are justified. Its just not a very well rounded or expansive game. Its a goddamned blast to play though. Word of mouth is this game's savior - that and maybe some in-depth video reviews that show and tell far more than a score can convey.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
NullPointer said:
This is one of those games where the reviews aren't going to do the game justice.

Like I've said before I think a lot of the low scores are justified. Its just not a very well rounded or expansive game. Its a goddamned blast to play though. Word of mouth is this game's savior - that and maybe some in-depth video reviews that show and tell far more than a score can convey.
Totally agree with this. I knew this game wouldn't make any type of impact with mainstream gamers or the press. Too many high profile games coming out later this month.

The good news is that Space Marine is a solid AA+ game. It's just fun as fuck to play. Also, I believe there will be enough sales from the WH40K crowd to warrant a sequel.

glaurung

Well guys, amazon.co.uk fucked me over with the delivery schedule and shipped the game a few hours ago.

This would be great if I lived in the UK, but I don't. I won't be getting my PS3 collector's edition until next week and as such and with being busy turning 30 next week I will not be diving into the thick of the ork horde until I don't know when.

For the emperor! ...but more like for the patience.

Davedough

daedalius said:
Hopefully Space Marine 2 won't release 2 weeks before another third-person shooter juggernaut, lol.

I dont want Space Marine 2. I want the sequel to focus on another race entirely and flesh out the 40K universe even more.

I finished this on hard over a day on the couch. Lots and lots and lots of fun but could have done with substantially more environmental variety, though it might have been hard to justify given the story. End-boss was a huge letdown, though it was nice that most of the fight was about testing the skills you had learned over the course of the game.

The combat is incredible. Between this, Alice and The Witcher 2 we've had some really interesting and challenging 3rd-person action combat this year, and Arkham City is yet to even arrive. I'll probably give it another run down the line but I've had my fill for now.

daedalius

Davedough said:
I dont want Space Marine 2. I want the sequel to focus on another race entirely and flesh out the 40K universe even more.

Don't count on it.

Maybe FIGHTING another race, but I imagine they will stick to you playing a space marine for a while, unless the masses really catch onto Eldar or something.

Maybe 'nids and Eldar next to fight against, would be an interesting dichotomy. Who knows, Titus
may be part of the Deathwatch considering the ending
next time we see him.

Narag

derFeef said:
Fucking Chaos Psykers... fuck... *bites into keybaord*
Man those Chaos troops aint no joke on hard.
The renegade militia are deadly as hell in groups. Wouldn't have it any other way though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Davedough said:
That actually happens a lot. I know for a fact Sims 3 had it that way, and I think it still does. I want to say another game did as well. It's happened quite a bit since the update where they made avatars taller.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
derFeef said:
Fucking Chaos Psykers... fuck... *bites into keybaord*
Man those Chaos troops aint no joke on hard.

Hope you have a lascannon, otherwise be ready for some serious pain.

Top Bottom