• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Darklord

Banned
Played a couple of hours. It's really fun so far. Also, is the computer woman's and the one you hear telling worker to meet quotas ect the same voice as the combine overwatch?

Feindflug

Just ordered the CE (and Deus Ex: HR Augmented Edition from zavvi), I'm not a Warhammer 40K freak like most of the guys here but the demo was awesome and the LE looks badass. :)

Just woke up and unlocked it, how awesome is this game? I'm only about 20 minutes in but so far I've roared at the TV several times while I cut through a sea of orkses, which is a good sign.

Herla

The Melta Gun has to be the best shotgun in any game ever.
I want an infinite ammo mod just to have fun with that, soooo satisfying!! (also a "jetpack everywhere" mod too.)

Herla

bigdaddygamebot said:
Okay you heretic.

The Melta Gun is a consecrated piece of archeotech.

...shotguns...heresy...

Still fits into the shotgun archetype in the videogame world :p
Or we'd have to put the Bolter into the automatic mini-rocket launchers, that would be inconvenient.

derFeef

jim-jam bongs said:
Just woke up and unlocked it, how awesome is this game? I'm only about 20 minutes in but so far I've roared at the TV several times while I cut through a sea of orkses, which is a good sign.
I think you will have no voice when you are two hours in ;)

derFeef said:
I think you will have no voice when you are two hours in ;)
I am tempted to yell when playing MP. But I am concerned that my neighbours would call the police because it would sound as if I am committing bloody murder. Which I would be, in game.

Most satisfying moment of MP so far?

Spotting two guys walking side by side completely unaware of my presence, exploiting the third person view by hiding behind a wall, equipped with a thunder hammer, pressing f, and then f again.

OVERHEAD FUCKING SMAAAAAAAAAAASH DOUBLE KILLLLLLLLL.

Played a couple rounds of multiplayer over my lunch break. Man, when the connection issues aren't plaguing the game it's actually pretty damn awesome. All yesterday I was playing but was having bad lag, and it really wasn't going well for me. Add on to that the fact that my laptop isn't quite up to handling this game and multiplayer gets pretty awful when the connection is crap. I'm just gonna have to suck up the low framerates until I get around to building a new desktop.

However, things did go much better today! The connection was good and I managed to get a group that would have a couple tac marines running in a pack, which makes things so much better for survivability and killing power. A little 3-man squad will wreck any assault marines day, and can clear out capture points pretty well, especially with one or two teleport homers and a guy on fast respawn. This game would definitely be way more fun with a regular group to play with.

Forgive me for saying it after all the other comparisons that weve been seeing, but it really does remind me of my early days playing Gears 1. The movement pace of the tac marine, the combat roll, that heavy weight to your character, even the relative damage output to drop someone (you need to put a solid clip into a guy to drop him), all together it really does have a Gears feel to it. No, I'm not saying it borrowed stuff from gears and owes anything to it. I'm just saying that playing it makes me feel the same way I did with gears 1 multi. And that is not meant as anything but a compliment! If I could convince my old gears crowd to get into this game, man I would be so pumped. But they'll all be playing gears 3 in like 2 weeks anyway, so...

End of the work day can't come soon enough!

Anyone else really want some new race packs already, or just a big multiplayer expansion? Give me some Eldar exarchs, a dark reaper with a shuriken cannon or reaper launcher, swooping hawk with a power sword, dire avenger for your tac marine equivalent, tyranid warriors with wings and rending claws/ venom cannon or barbed strangler/scything talons and a devourer, an so on. God it would be so awesome.

And more maps! Not sure how many are in here, but I feel like I've only seen 3 or 4 so far. I need more, and more diverse. A jungle map starting to get tyrranoformed, some icy locale, a warp battlefield in the eye of terror, the lore is just so rich with options. Relic, make it happen!

Darklord

Banned
The multiplayer is pissing me off. If they refused to include dedicated servers couldn't they have AT LEAST made a server browser? 3 games and 3 times it has dumped me in high ping servers. I can't even connect with a melee weapon so I have to stick to ranged. I'll see how I go in a more park hour but damn! No server list on a PC game is bullshit.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, matchmaking blows. That's all there really is to say about that.

The MP is a blast, though. So far I've stuck with the standard bolter rifle, I can stay out of range of melee players and kill them before they land a hit, and it has enough range and power to edge out many of the other guns. I've unlocked the customizer, so I'll probably give the sniper bolter a shot. It owns in single player.

Speaking of the customizer, I wanted to make my Space Marine hot pink but I'm worried that it might make me an easy target. Decisions, decisions.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
On the SM update, from the official forum:
With the launch of Space Marine well underway our team is working to look into bug reports & resolve some top issues being reported within the community. Below is a list of items that are hot our list and we are working to verify/resolve.

- Matchmaking on PC - We are very aware of this issue and have our team working to resolve any problems. Steam has also been working to help resolve these issues.

- Multiplayer Progression Reset – We are working to verify this issue as a handful of users have reported their progress resets in multiplayer.

- PS3 NAT issues – This is a UI bug and is not something that is affecting your online performance. We have a fix coming to resolve this improperly reported error.

- Pre-order Skins Not Showing Up / Working – Steam Skins are now showing up within the Customizer. In regards to BestBuy & GameStop codes, you need to redeem those with the code they provide you. Both Console and PC users who purchase the retail copy of the game (In a Local store or online) should be provided a redeem code for their skins.

When reporting bugs or issues please try to give us as much info as possible.

PC Users: When submitting an issue here on the forums please follow the guidelines here: http://www.spacemarine.com/forums/topic/2821

Console Users: Make sure you are providing us with as many details as you can. If you can provide screenshots, details about your internet connection etc... It's all helpful in us being able to pin point down a issue you might be having.

This has me questioning how good Steamworks matchmaking actually is. The matchmaking in DoW 2 Retribution really blows (and that uses Steamworks too).

Why are there so few reviews for this so far? I figured I'd wait til it comes down in price, but I'm also interested in seeing where the reviews stand. How long is the single player campaign?

Interfectum

FieryBalrog said:
This has me questioning how good Steamworks matchmaking actually is. The matchmaking in DoW 2 Retribution really blows (and that uses Steamworks too).

Or maybe it's a Relic problem since they made both those games.

Oh so you were supposed to get MP skins with the pre-order? Well I am not sure if it's worth the effort of calling up with gamestop's customer service department.

theDeeDubs

Lostconfused said:
Oh so you were supposed to get MP skins with the pre-order? Well I am not sure if it's worth the effort of calling up with gamestop's customer service department.

If you purchased in the store, check your receipt. They were supposed to be printed on it.

Snuggler said:
Yeah, matchmaking blows. That's all there really is to say about that.

I'm not a real online competitive type of guy but in my experience...all games should be forced to use Bungie's matchmaking in my opinion.

Not a Halo fan but damn Halo matchmaking is smooooooooth.

So many times, I was put up against teams that had super high level guys already.

Nearing the end of this gen...it's 2011...other companies really haven't figured out matchmaking yet...really?

Already have a wishlist for the next game :)

Mechanics:

* Weapon specific combos and animations.
* Leveling up weapons. As you use them they become stronger and/or unlock new moves. Ranged weapons too.
* Customization in single player, or shared across all modes.
* Co-op support in campaign.
* Wargear from DoW2.
* Requisition points from DoW2. Gain them through kills and combos, spend them to drop equipment pods, ammo, turrets, or even to buff allied units.
* New game+.

Story/World:

* Give us a story that fills newcomers in on just what 40K is all about. References to the Horus Heresy, the Emperor, Space Marine chapters, and other denizens of the world. Take us between worlds in warp space and switch up locales. 40K is such a rich universe that its a gargantuan lost opportunity not to bring new fans into the fold by establishing the setting. Show the player's character going through some of the chapter trials and augmentations. Put selectable murals on the walls that provide backstory, or add more flavor text between the character and allied units. Something. Anything. It'd pay dividends.

Darklord said:
The multiplayer is pissing me off. If they refused to include dedicated servers couldn't they have AT LEAST made a server browser? 3 games and 3 times it has dumped me in high ping servers. I can't even connect with a melee weapon so I have to stick to ranged. I'll see how I go in a more park hour but damn! No server list on a PC game is bullshit.

:O

HAHAHHAHAHA There is no dedicated servers on the pc version?

I have never heard of this in a recent game besides P2P. I thought this was a given for every game? wauw. WOW.

I was worried at first about multiplayer - being thrown into matches with all kinds of leveled up guys, a design I've really come to hate in multiplayer games.

But being able to completely copy the loadout of the player that killed you? Right from the get go? Perfect.

Still feels very much like rock-paper-scissors online, but it's been fun for some 40K kicks. Jetpackers aren't nearly as invincible as they think they are, which is a very good thing.

Mrbob

I'd like to see more factions for MP in the sequel as well.

I don't mind using the Space Marines, but they aren't my favorite faction. My favorite are the Eldar. I'd love to be able to use the Eldar Farseer for multi just like I do in Last Stand mode with Dawn of War 2.

derFeef

Vigilant Walrus said:
:O

HAHAHHAHAHA There is no dedicated servers on the pc version?

I have never heard of this in a recent game besides P2P. I thought this was a given for every game? wauw. WOW.
Not really surprising since it is 16 players only, built around matchmaking and the matches are short. Dedicated servers would be nice but it would also kinda feel a little dispensable if you know what I mean.

oktarb

NullPointer said:

Mechanics:

* Weapon specific combos and animations.
* Leveling up weapons. As you use them they become stronger and/or unlock new moves. Ranged weapons too.
* Customization in single player, or shared across all modes.
* Co-op support in campaign.
* Wargear from DoW2.
* Requisition points from DoW2. Gain them through kills and combos, spend them to drop equipment pods, ammo, turrets, or even to buff allied units.
* New game+.

Story/World:

* Give us a story that fills newcomers in on just what 40K is all about. References to the Horus Heresy, the Emperor, Space Marine chapters, and other denizens of the world. Take us between worlds in warp space and switch up locales. 40K is such a rich universe that its a gargantuan lost opportunity not to bring new fans into the fold by establishing the setting. Show the player's character going through some of the chapter trials and augmentations. Put selectable murals on the walls that provide backstory, or add more flavor text between the character and allied units. Something. Anything. It'd pay dividends.

Just wanted to tack on mine since I agree with yours completely.

* Let me build my Marine. They are developing a bad habit of always choosing the 'popular' Space Marine Chapters i.e. Blood Angels or the Ultra Marines. Let me choose or design my own chapter.

* Give me a Chapter House or ship. Let me consult a Tech Marine or an Adept. Kinda like the Star Craft 2 hub.

* I normally hate the mandatory vehicle sections in games. I generally loathe them in fact. But man oh man please put me in a Dreadnought.

* Seals were a good idea. Go further. Get seals for doing things like the achievements.

Deadbeat

Banned
derFeef said:
Not really surprising since it is 16 players only, built around matchmaking and the matches are short. Dedicated servers would be nice but it would also kinda feel a little dispensable if you know what I mean.
You mean removing the dispensable amounts of lag p2p has, sure.

Gotta admit I'm a little worried about the horde mode. Getting solid netcode while synchronizing co-op players and all that AI doesn't seem easy to do. If Bungie had to struggle to get firefight playable, it makes me fear for the efforts of other developers.

oktarb said:
* Seals were a good idea. Go further. Get seals for doing things like the achievements.
Hell yes. And I'd like to see those seals on the player model. It'd be amazing to start off as a standard marine and by the end of the game have all sorts of armor doodads and ribbons and banners sticking out.

oktarb

NullPointer said:
Gotta admit I'm a little worried about the horde mode. Getting solid netcode while synchronizing co-op players and all that AI doesn't seem easy to do. If Bungie had to struggle to get firefight playable, it makes me fear for the efforts of other developers.

Hell yes. And I'd like to see those seals on the player model. It'd be amazing to start off as a standard marine and by the end of the game have all sorts of armor doodads and ribbons and banners sticking out.

Exactly. "Why yes that is a new forehead stud for killing 10,000 orks. Why yes I am a bad ass. Thank you for asking."

NullPointer said:

This...a thousand times this.

NullPointer said:
I was worried at first about multiplayer - being thrown into matches with all kinds of leveled up guys, a design I've really come to hate in multiplayer games.

But being able to completely copy the loadout of the player that killed you? Right from the get go? Perfect.

Still feels very much like rock-paper-scissors online, but it's been fun for some 40K kicks. Jetpackers aren't nearly as invincible as they think they are, which is a very good thing.

Do you still stand by your first impression of the game ( you somewhat agreed with the mark from Eurogamers if I'm not mistaken) ?

Because the mood of your post seems improved .

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
NullPointer said:

Right on. I'd especially like to see weapon leveling/customization and NG+. I love long term progression across multiple playthroughs, it gives me a good reason to keep coming back - but that's not to say I won't be replaying this beautiful bastard on Hard as soon as I finish my current playthrough. :)

Where are your Ork kill counts at? You can see it in your Steam achievements. Looks like I've sent 1,583 back to hell.

derFeef

Deadbeat said:
You mean removing the dispensable amounts of lag p2p has, sure.
Have not said that. It has issues, they need to get fixed, but I am not sure if dedicated servers are the only way to do it. Regional filtering, good netcode and so on come a long way.

MesserWolf said:
Do you still stand by your first impression of the game ( you somewhat agreed with the mark from Eurogamers if I'm not mistaken) ?

Because the mood of your post seems improved .
Maybe a bit, especially since the environments I'm in now have more character to them.

Its still a one trick pony, but god damn did they nail that one trick. Its a very solid first go for what I hope becomes a lasting series. Games are always a trade off of features and depth, and I think Relic chose to focus on the most important bits here, which satisfy but leave me wanting so much more all the same. I'd pre-order the sequel right now if I could.

Snuggler said:
Where are your Ork kill counts at? You can see it in your Steam achievements. Looks like I've sent 1,583 back to hell.
1,036 right now. So many to kill, so little time.

ironcreed

Banned
Un-goddamn-believable. So, I get my order from Amazon today, only to find an open game case with missing game and manual. I went on their live help chat and they said they would send me out a replacement and it would be here tomorrow. Thing is, I don't know if it was my UPS guy or the packing/shipping center. I don't want to get another empty game case tomorrow. I think I may just cancel and go down the road and pick it up.

Today's the day for Space Marine's most fervent admirer. Salazar gets his full Ork and Chaos Busting Simulator on.

Still no word from Twitter. Regardless, remaining on the case.

derFeef

Pylon_Trooper said:
Today's the day for Space Marine's most fervent admirer. Salazar gets his full Ork and Chaos Busting Simulator on.

Still no word from Twitter. Regardless, remaining on the case.
What's up with you both, it's starting to get a little werid ;)

ironcreed said:
Un-goddamn-believable. So, I get my order from Amazon today, only to find an open game case with missing game and manual. I went on their live help chat and they said they would send me out a replacement and it would be here tomorrow. Thing is, I don't know if it was my UPS guy or the packing/shipping center. I don't want to get another empty game case tomorrow. I think I may just cancel and go down the road and pick it up.

Wow wtf.
Was it shrink wrapped?

derFeef said:
What's up with you both, it's starting to get a little werid ;)

The only thing weird is Relic and THQ's non-existent communication! Is it all just celebratory beer and whores at the offices over there, so much so that a simple question cannot be answered?!

They have until the end of the day.

derFeef

Pylon_Trooper said:
The only thing weird is Relic and THQ's non-existent communication! Is it all just celebratory beer and whores at the offices over there, so much so that a simple question cannot be answered?!

They have until the end of the day.
Well if there is an embargo over those infromations you can't really do something, but I understand your frustration. I am a little more worried about THQ/relic not sending out review copies at all.

Narag

Reach end of game; finally realize how weapon selection works. I thought the extra weapons (melta/lascannon/plasma/etc) were restricted to specified slots. Doh.

Not that I could ever use them what with my Thunder Hammer and all.

Narag said:
Reach end of game; finally realize how weapon selection works. I thought the extra weapons (melta/lascannon/plasma/etc) were restricted to specified slots. Doh.
Waitasecond...

They're not restricted to certain slots? Fuuuu

derFeef said:
Well if there is an embargo over those infromations you can't really do something, but I understand your frustration. I am a little more worried about THQ/relic not sending out review copies at all.

Thing is, that info has already reached placed like G4...all I want a little clarification. 1-4 players, we know that. If that means solo, good. Bot sidekicks is really the last piece of the puzzle.

Proc

Narag said:

Not that I could ever use them what with my Thunder Hammer and all.
How long did it take to finish? Just rented it for 3 days and am hoping to complete it and see if multiplayer pushes me into buying it.

Top Bottom