• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 |OT| FOR THE EMPEROR!!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Darklord said:
Who the hell said the patch wasn't big? It's like 80mb.
I know 80mb isn't huge but it takes like 30 minutes in my connection. :\

Also this is my first time using GFWL, can my friends on xbox live see me online and playing DoW2? Or are they 2 separate friend lists?
It's a universal friend's list.

thaOwner

K.Jack said:
Same as other guy's, but a few more high settings, but probably not textures. T9400 = 2.53GHz, yes?

Is your notebook an Asus?

I'm just waiting for the mail to come in with my game, dammit.
Yeah it's Asus and its actually 2.24 instead of 2.53.

Mardil

Darklord said:

Also this is my first time using GFWL, can my friends on xbox live see me online and playing DoW2? Or are they 2 separate friend lists?
I'm pretty sure they are separate friend lists, but I might be wrong.

Edit: Really? Universal? Damn, I had to make a new account with the same e-mail adress.

Google

I downloaded the game from D2D because I had some credit left over from a few years ago...

Now it's being 'updated' at Steam, and taking a fucking age.

Eugh...

I guess this is the negative side of Digital Distribution - the wanting to play something NOW syndrome!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Mardil said:
Edit: Really? Universal? Damn, I had to make a new account with the same e-mail adress.
Or so I thought..... shit am I wrong? I thought that if you already have an Xbox Live account, you can just log in with that.
Neo-Sheperd said:
Yeah it's Asus and its actually 2.24 instead of 2.53.
Ah I see, so it's P8400 @ 2.26 then. GV50?

thaOwner

K.Jack said:
Or so I thought..... shit am I wrong? I thought that if you already have an Xbox Live account, you can just log in with that.

That's correct. When Overclocked I can get to 2.27 and that's about it.

dork said:
bought mine at gamestop, installed and going to play

where do you enter the armor code at?

From my email from GAME:
To Download your Bonus Content:

1. Install the game. The Games for Windows - Live Marketplace client will also be
installed.

2. Run the client and click on the Marketplace tab

3. You will need to sign in with your Live ID (if you don't have one don't worry it's free.)

4. Click on "redeem code"

5. Enter your bonus code:

6. Run the game

7. Your unlocked Wargear set is now available.

Darklord

Banned
K.Jack said:

Nah you were right. I can view my xbox live friends list.

Weird thing is the first time I typed in my e-mail address it instantly knew my password without me putting it on. 0_o

Mardil said:
I'm pretty sure they are separate friend lists, but I might be wrong.

That's odd. I typed in the same e-mail I used for Xbox Live, and it instantly worked.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Google said:
I downloaded the game from D2D because I had some credit left over from a few years ago...

Now it's being 'updated' at Steam, and taking a fucking age.

Eugh...

I guess this is the negative side of Digital Distribution - the wanting to play something NOW syndrome!
Are you sure Steam is updating it? Steam has bugs, and sometimes it updates products that are ready. Can the update now function and see if it connects to GFWL. If it manages to do it, then you didnt need an update.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Are you forced to use the GFW application if you buy a retail box? I'd rather not have to use that for just one game. A steam launcher would be nice, but I'd prefer a .exe launcher. doable?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Darklord said:
It needs both GFWL and steam. Pretty stupid needing both to be honest.
Steam for DRM and GFWL for matchmaking, achievements and such.

Google

godhandiscen said:
Are you sure Steam is updating it? Steam has bugs, and sometimes it updates products that are ready. Can the update now function and see if it connects to GFWL. If it manages to do it, then you didnt need an update.

Yeah, it was only a minor complaint made out of inpatientce - I got it working in the end. I'm assuming the servers are getting hit pretty hard, so it's simply a case of being diligent and trying to start the game over and over and over again.

I got it working, and played the first two missions. I'm really enjoying the CoH in 40K feel.

It needs both GFWL and steam. Pretty stupid needing both to be honest.

Why?

Having one doesn't make the other redundant.

Brobzoid

Are the achievements tied to your Xbox 360 gamercard? I don't have one, but I intend on getting one and if I ever start caring about them that would be nice.

Have Relic or anyone stated why they are using GFW? Steam does match-making as well. Did they use GFW for CoH or DoW1?

Minsc

Gold Member
Darklord said:

First game's most up to date patch is close to 400 megs (though that covers a whole lot more versions). So 80 megs isn't too bad considering. I'm sure a few point revisions will send it right up there in the 100s of megs.

Proc

Bought my copy minutes ago. Best Buy failed me so I had to resort to EBGames since I had some credit there. *installing now...sooo giddy.

dork

Banned
i am so unbelievably mad right now

my specs are great, i installed it, started it up. the first campaign cutscene starts and then it crashes

anyone else have this problem?

Vorador

Banned
dork said:

my specs are great, i installed it, started it up. the first campaign cutscene starts and then it crashes

I suggest to upgrade graphics drivers.

Anyway, i just ordered the game from a physical store since it is much cheaper and includes a code for extra stuff. So i will join the party a little later :p

Brobzoid said:
Are the achievements tied to your Xbox 360 gamercard? I don't have one, but I intend on getting one and if I ever start caring about them that would be nice.
Yes, they will be tied to your 360 gamercard. And to answer your previous question: you'll have to use Games For Windows Live, but you don't need to install the actual application (I didn't need to with the beta at least). There should be a seperate Live button in DoW II's main menu so you can log onto the network through the game itself.

garath

dork said:

Could also be a soundcard issue if it's crashing during the cutscene.

I know you have a new computer but make sure you download the latest video and sound card drivers. Not the ones that come on the CD with the cards.

Brobzoid

How well does this run on older hardware on lower settings?

MicVlaD said:
Yes, they will be tied to your 360 gamercard. And to answer your previous question: you'll have to use Games For Windows Live, but you don't need to install the actual application (I didn't need to with the beta at least). There should be a seperate Live button in DoW II's main menu so you can log onto the network through the game itself.

ah, that's nice. My fear was that I had to have worry about separate launchers.

Darklord

Banned
Brobzoid said:
How well does this run on older hardware on lower settings?

I can run it on low(3700+, 7800GT, 1.5gb ram)...it looks like DoW1. You can tell the game was built for widescreen monitors because some of the text is tiny.

Edit: oops, double post.

Reikon

Darklord said:
Does it have server lists like other RTS games? It doesn't just have matchmaker does it?

Ranked games are by matchmaking only. Custom non-ranked games are by list only.

dork

Banned
garath said:
Could also be a soundcard issue if it's crashing during the cutscene.

I know you have a new computer but make sure you download the latest video and sound card drivers. Not the ones that come on the CD with the cards.

im pretty sure everything is updated . windows update brings back nothing

Proc

dork said:

This is happening to me as well. When I fill out the error report, my browser pops up and Relic indicates that this is a common problem that they are working on :/

I'm going to turn down the quality to high and see if that helps.

edit: I was able to get it working by turning effects fidelity from ultra to high.

Played a couple of missions. So far it's fun. Haven't had any issues with the game as yet. Really am loving just controlling a small number of squads. Also like the wargear, that is the few pieces that I've gotten. I really wish that you could choose your commander (ie, librarian, techmarine) in single player. Gonna play some more.

Gasgul

game, good, solid, reminds me of the Wcraft3, fondly thinking of the future mmo that can be designed on the baseline concept,

saying that, I will not be buying another game that requires me to login with 2 separate entities to even play the single player campain, eff you thq, ms and steam, so disappointed in all of you, please kill yourselves,

please stop raping your customers,

thank you,

Gasgul said:
saying that, I will not be buying another game that requires me to login with 2 separate entities to even play the single player campain, eff you thq, ms and steam, so disappointed in all of you, please kill yourselves,

please stop raping your customers,

thank you,

Yeah, with all of the tools that Steam has, don't know why they went with GFW on top of Steam. I already almost exclusively use Steam, so I was not averse to using it.

Jibber Hack said:
Yeah, with all of the tools that Steam has, don't know why they went with GFW on top of Steam. I already almost exclusively use Steam, so I was not averse to using it.

I think the answer is due to the upcoming X360 port.

Anyone having any luck with the unlock codes? I'm getting a 'this code is expired or not valid for this region' error message :(

EDIT:

Problem solved, turned out I actually had to download and install a Games For Windows Live Marketplace app and enter the codes there rather than on the Live page DOW2 sent me to.

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-GB/Live/Pages/livemarketplace.aspx

For anyone else who has this problem, download that and enter the codes there. I also had to install an XP hotfix and reboot too, but on the upside I now have all 5 of the preorder 'exclusive' wargears :D

MrNyarlathotep said:

Anyone having any luck with the unlock codes? I'm getting a 'this code is expired or not valid for this region' error message :(
Well here's hoping for cross platform play with xbots, it'd improve my odds of getting that 100 ranked wins achievement tenfold. :lol

Proc

MrNyarlathotep said:

Mine worked fine.

An interview I heard on an IGN podcast, the DoW2 devs said they went with GFWLive because they wanted to use Microsoft's back end online structure.

Gasgul

I didnt get too involved with warcraft3 but can anyone else confirm the similarities between w3 and dow2?

and no im not making a <insert penny arcade gaf> at this, Im pro for world of 40k craft, (day1 purchase for me) im hyped for the possibility,

Ive got too many things happening with gaming right now, wow/dow2/medieviltotalwar2/eve/ffxi, im not going to load up wcraft3 again,

Top Bottom