• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 2 - Retribution |OT| - Last Minute WAAAAGH!

FoxSpirit

Choose to build a massive army or lead your small squad of elite heroes into battle and experience a single player campaign customized to your faction.

What is that "build massive army" thing? I'm intrigued, have they changed the small squad gameplay?

Tacitus_

kd41m.png

Or maybe they decided Finland isn't in western Europe after all...

FoxSpirit said:
What is that "build massive army" thing? I'm intrigued, have they changed the small squad gameplay?

You have a pop cap of 30 with possible +pop from structures found in the map. Not deploying with a hero gets you +10 pop and some unique stuff.

FoxSpirit

If I can finally field a Tyranid sized Tyranid army I'd be happy.

Oh yeah, do I miss out on anything if I didn't buy Chaos Rising or can I just get it and play all races in Skirmish?

FoxSpirit said:
If I can finally field a Tyranid sized Tyranid army I'd be happy.

Oh yeah, do I miss out on anything if I didn't buy Chaos Rising or can I just get it and play all races in Skirmish?

Even though it's an expansion, it's actually a standalone game since you don't need either two predecessors to play. You can play as all races. The only thing you miss out on is GFWL (which sucks) and the singleplayer campaigns from DOW2 (ok) and Chaos Rising (good).

Draft said:
My fanboyishness is biting me in the ass since I can't play until the CE I ordered arrives.

Speaking of CE, I feel as though they missed out in this case. They could've charged way more if they included figurines. The poster/cards and a box feels like a cop out..

Draft

Gully State said:
Speaking of CE, I feel as though they missed out in this case. They could've charged way more if they included figurines. The poster/cards and a box feels like a cop out..
The average CE is simply a game disc with 3 or 4 ridiculous tchotchkes designed for idiots with more money than sense...

Gully State said:

No excuse for not including a miniature, a trainee sculpt of the box art inquisitor and 10-15k set aside for the mould and a couple of tons of white metal = A bonanza in sales from all the citadel collectors. (like me)

Draft said:
The average CE is simply a game disc with 3 or 4 ridiculous tchotchkes designed for idiots with more money than sense...

I dunno...I feel as though the CE in this case was barebones at best. And seeing as how the exclusive items can all be had via Steam for $5, the appeal for what amounts to be posters and cards is lost on me especially given how awesome Warhammer figurines looks.

Draft

Actually, I feel doubly owned because I mainly bought the CE to get all the DLC wargear. If I'd known that same gear would be available for cheaper on Steam, well...

Draft said:
Actually, I feel doubly owned because I mainly bought the CE to get all the DLC wargear. If I'd known that same gear would be available for cheaper on Steam, well...

haha...not trying to make you feel bad about your purchase...I honestly thought about buying the CE too and would pay a lot more for it if they included more tangible stuff but alas.

Draft said:

Could be worse, you could have payed full whack for the collectors edition for Warhammer online. i think that tanked in price a month after release as everyone realised the game was a pile of shit.

Draft

Frankly, I deserve to feel bad. CEs are like... every time I buy one, it's garbage, and I say to myself, no more, I'm done, regular editions only, digital if it's available. And then some game I've hyped in my head comes out, and it's got a CE, and I'm just like... GIMME.

ArjanN

jhawk6 said:
Just a single new map? Any tweaks or other additions? It was my favorite mode playing with friends

- Imperial Guard hero for Last Stand
- New map with different layout (can't just kite enemies in a circle) and very different waves of enemies. (ork wartruk/ assault marines etc..)
- it's also starts off way harder, if you're starting out with the Lord General character expect to die in first couple of waves.
- There's 6 or so Steam achievements for Last Stand

Gully State said:
Anyone here actually going to dabble in the competitive multiplayer or are you guys pretty much sticking to campaign and last stand?

I will, but most likely after doing a bunch of campaign/last stand.

remz

CE art cards are... interesting. It's the pictures from the loading screens.

Can't wait to get home and give this bad boy a go

jhawk6

Gully State said:
Heard the waves are different this time around too. Apparently the first waves are no longer cake walks.

Also, Relic has gone on record to say that they would be dropping both free and paid content for this game so we'll probably see a new game mode as well..

This sounds promising. Let's hope for the best here.

Philthy

LOVING this game now!

They aren't kidding about the small elite hero squad or massive army. The mechanics are really changed around, and I didn't know what to think of it at first. When you opt to not take a hero into a mission, you're able to requisition more squads into the mission. For example, the last mission I did, the only hero I took was my space marine captain, because he is a requirement. The other 3 I chose their alternates. I was marching across the map with 4 terminator squads (One squad upgraded to lightning claws), and two dreadnaughts (One dread upgraded to autocanon), and a devastator squad (upgraded to las canon) and my hero. They were death incarnate. I have never had so much FUN.

You really don't get to see the plus side of the new mechanics until about 4-5 missions in. (~3 hrs or so?)

LOVE IT. Can't wait to play all the single player campaigns. You can get some massive sized armies going depending what troops you requisition. Terminators are sort of expensive, but if I went for normal Tact space marine squads I could have had maybe eight of those compared to the four terminator squads? Amazing.

One issue is that it only seems to show up to 9 squads. When you have 12 or more, you really don't see any icons or anything for them. So I'm not sure how to select them or get to them.

2 missions in as Imperial Guard. I'm playing on the normal setting, and I'm already detecting a bit more difficulty than in previous DOW2 titles. I had read that the game felt easy in one review, which makes me wonder if the reviewer simply did the Space Marines campaign and ignore the other races.

I really like not having to manually enter skill points, and just choosing one new power after each level up.

Durante

Played a few hours of the Imperial guard campaign on hard. Seems quite a bit harder than the previous campaigns on the same setting, but that could just be because Space Marines are generally OP in W40k :p

I really enjoy the mechanics so far, it's a step towards integrating more traditional RTS gameplay into the framework set by the other DoW2 games.

Mrbob

You get some sweet starting gear with the DLC. I picked up the DLC pack for $4.99 since it is cheap and I don't mind showing Relic some more love. I put so many hours into the Dawn of War games it is a small price to pay to help do my part to see them keep coming.

Philthy said:
LOVING this game now!

They aren't kidding about the small elite hero squad or massive army. The mechanics are really changed around, and I didn't know what to think of it at first. When you opt to not take a hero into a mission, you're able to requisition more squads into the mission. For example, the last mission I did, the only hero I took was my space marine captain, because he is a requirement. The other 3 I chose their alternates. I was marching across the map with 4 terminator squads (One squad upgraded to lightning claws), and two dreadnaughts (One dread upgraded to autocanon), and a devastator squad (upgraded to las canon) and my hero. They were death incarnate. I have never had so much FUN.

You really don't get to see the plus side of the new mechanics until about 4-5 missions in. (~3 hrs or so?)

LOVE IT. Can't wait to play all the single player campaigns. You can get some massive sized armies going depending what troops you requisition. Terminators are sort of expensive, but if I went for normal Tact space marine squads I could have had maybe eight of those compared to the four terminator squads? Amazing.

One issue is that it only seems to show up to 9 squads. When you have 12 or more, you really don't see any icons or anything for them. So I'm not sure how to select them or get to them.

This sounds so amazing yet I can't play until I am home later tonight. I played a couple missions as the Eldar in Co Op last night and it was a good time. I liked the new mechanics of being able to bring in troops with your heroes. The mechanic sounds much more in depth than I had anticipated. Replay ability is going to be great!

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I like that thsi game is CoH+DoW. One question though: how do I get a unit to follow another one? In CoH it was shift+something and a little chain icon would be above their head to show they were on follow.

I also wish it showed your groups on the side like CoH.

And this was also a problem in CoH, but I wish I could have units in more than 1 group. Like split melee/ranged/casters to 1/2/3 and then also have an 'all units' grouped to 4. Company of Heroes had little lists of all groups and their unit icons and squad count. It even had a null group that showed all your unbound units. Basically, I like the direction the game has gone, but I'm having a hard time managing my squads.

Fëanor

Steam not doing so hot right now with the match making or whatever the fuck they call it. GFWL FOREVER! Fuck you Relic and Valve.

deim0s

Durante said:
Played a few hours of the Imperial guard campaign on hard. Seems quite a bit harder than the previous campaigns on the same setting, but that could just be because Space Marines are generally OP in W40k :p

You're using a bunch of flashlight-toting, weak willed (but loyal and proud) men and women compared to the augmentations and power armored SM! :D

ArjanN

Fëanor said:
Steam not doing so hot right now with the match making or whatever the fuck they call it. GFWL FOREVER! Fuck you Relic and Valve.

It seems to be up and down but that's pretty normal considering the game has only been out a couple of days.

A very underwhelming SP campaign. Each is short and seems to mirror the other races beyond dialog. There is also a fuckton of "loading" when initiating and leaving a map a good minute or two.

Fëanor

I wish I could avoid laggy players like I did with the GFWL system. FUCK YOU STEAM!

Edit: But more players is a good thing I suppose.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just finished the IG campaign and this officially has my favorite single player/coop gameplay of the DoW2 series. All the changes they made are for the better, the mission design is fantastic and *finally* the bosses are actually fun to fight and not an exercise in wall punching aggravation.

Onwards to the Orks!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
ArjanN said:
It seems to be up and down but that's pretty normal considering the game has only been out a couple of days.
And whatever patch Relic puts out won't take 3 weeks of MS cert! Hooray!

Philthy

3 Dreads. Melee, Twin Linked Las Canon, Assault Canon. 3 Terminator squads, Melee with Lightning Claws and Assault Canons. My captain with the power axe+armor that heals, and the Ancient with armor that gives extra health to those around him and a plasma canon that spits out massive balls of death that one shots almost everything.

I tried a Predator tank last night, and those things blow up quicker than a guardsman. Not sure they tested vehicles properly before release. These things are really expensive, and should be able to withstand a ton of damage comparable to a dread at the very least.

Sinatar said:
Just finished the IG campaign and this officially has my favorite single player/coop gameplay of the DoW2 series. All the changes they made are for the better, the mission design is fantastic and *finally* the bosses are actually fun to fight and not an exercise in wall punching aggravation.

Onwards to the Orks!
Yeah, I just finished IG on normal, and had a lot of fun. The one bummer was that
they wouldn't let me build more than one Baneblade for the final fight :lol

Gonna try Chaos (with preorder bonus gear) on hard mixed up with some light MP next.

Philthy said:
I tried a Predator tank last night, and those things blow up quicker than a guardsman. Not sure they tested vehicles properly before release. These things are really expensive, and should be able to withstand a ton of damage comparable to a dread at the very least.
Are you sure it didn't just get focused by some AV? IG vehicles seemed pretty tough in general although they do melt quickly under the right kind of fire.

LowParry

Just finished the SM campaign. So so good :) Can't wait to get into the others though today I'm going to give MP a try and see how terrible I've become.

slidewinder said:
Are you sure it didn't just get focused by some AV? IG vehicles seemed pretty tough in general although they do melt quickly under the right kind of fire.

Anti-vehicle weaponry feels *really* potent now, to the point where you have to actively engage those guys with your infantry if your going to do a mixed arms attack. It's a change I appreciate.

Fëanor said:
I wish I could avoid laggy players like I did with the GFWL system. FUCK YOU STEAM!

Edit: But more players is a good thing I suppose.

Patch 3.12 is Live- a bunch of optimizations

3.12 Release Notes
Bugs
Players no longer need to wait for all of their enemies to leave the game in order to be able to select Continue on the post game stats screen
Fixed an issue that could cause users to become stuck on the post game stats screen after using the Link button and selecting Continue
Fixed an issue that could cause users to suddenly drop to the Main Menu from the post game stats screen
A full party of 3 should now instantly enter a Last Stand match instead of searching for one
The name field of a new campaign will now be pre-populated with the race chosen
Fixed an issue that could prevent the AI from displaying custom badges
Fixed an issue that could prevent the preview for the Imperial Guard Laser turret arc from displaying
Optimized texture mipmapping to improve memory performance on High visual settings and below

Durante

Sinatar said:
After playing more I agree with all of that. It's easily the best co-op RTS ever.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Do I need to open ports for multiplayer as it's taking forever to find a game on either map in Last Stand, not sure if the issue is due to Steam being down a few minutes ago.

Edit: Been trying to find a game for almost 30minutes now, is it really so hard for a game to match 3 people together.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
The new Last Stand map is actually easier than the original one, even though it starts out a lot harder. The lack of clones makes all sorts of zany builds viable, and makes it possible to use stuff like the Captain's revive item or a Ravener with Searing without ensuring that your teammates are going to hate your guts by the end of the round.

Though they really ought to make the Colosseum the default map choice. My heart breaks a little every time I see a level 1 Lord General with the boltgun in the team line-up. Poor bastard's gonna be spending the entire round dead.

Mrbob

The Lord General is a lot more fun to use now that I have him at level 7. Finally can start deploying units and turrets.

Played about an hour of The Last Stan earlier today and had an Ork team mate who never was tactical in deploying his ROKS ultimate attack. He constantly kept on taking out me, my turret, or my units! I wish I could save video because one of the funniest moments when I was taken out by ROKS happened by accident. The ork called Roks and I decided I was getting the heck out of dodge. So I'm running out of the splash damage area and my other teammate who is also a Lord General decides to deploy troops. Well as you know if you deploy troops on top of a character the impact knocks a person back. He deployed perfectly right in front of me and my Lord General got knocked back right into the heart of the ROKS attack! It was hilarious and frustrating at the same time!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
The Lord General is a lot of fun, but he seems awfully glitchy. His Bolter does next to no damage, his Grenade Launcher says it causes knockback but doesn't actually seem to do so in practice, and one of his heavy turrets often causes no damage whatsoever and damages the ground with every shot, which makes the game really laggy and often causes people with slower computers to lag out entirely. Worst of all though is his retreat ability, which sometimes cancels itself when the Lord General gets hit. So basically anytime you're retreating from something as opposed to just retreating because you enjoy the concept of being able to retreat you've only got about a 50/50 shot of actually having it work.

Amusingly, though, he usually defaults to attempting to melee the enemy that attacked him, leading to a scene of your General running away until he decides that actually, on second thought, he would much rather engage in a boxing match with that Carnifex that just took a swing at him.

It's actually kind of a cute way to die.

Played an amusing 3v3 match last night where our team was losing basically 2:1 on the ticket count for about 80% of the match (I'd post a replay but it's an absolute noobfest especially by me as a space marine). The whole match consisted of our team basically getting dominated (in both power and VP). I spent the whole match getting owned by the other space marine player in my lane with my only saving grace being that I managed to consistently retreat and escape with minimal losses while having a squad always managing to get behind the enemy to back cap his stuff(it was seriously demoralizing losing every skirmish- my micro is horrible). Eventually I made my way up to the the 3rd tier tech tree and by some miracle had enough resources to build the land raider redeemer. Pushed out with it with my army and caught him completely off guard. I pretty much decimated a good chunk of his army repeatedly and took back our VP's to bring the score close to even (parked it on the top VP point on Arena on their side and he for some reason decided to charge directly into that ramp and my Land Raider Redeemer which is a bit of a choke point). 10 min later, despite his team still having a marginal lead, he proceeds to call me cheap for building a "superunit" (his teammate had a baneblade out) and ragequits which pretty much gave us the game.

I really wish I was better at this game though as I make so many stupid mistakes in a given match.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Gully State said:
Played an amusing 3v3 match last night where our team was losing basically 2:1 on the ticket count for about 80% of the match (I'd post a replay but it's an absolute noobfest especially by me as a space marine). The whole match consisted of our team basically getting dominated (in both power and VP). I spent the whole match getting owned by the other space marine player in my lane with my only saving grace being that I managed to consistently retreat and escape with minimal losses while having a squad always managing to get behind the enemy to back cap his stuff(it was seriously demoralizing losing every skirmish- my micro is horrible). Eventually I made my way up to the the 3rd tier tech tree and by some miracle had enough resources to build the land raider redeemer. Pushed out with it with my army and caught him completely off guard. I pretty much decimated a good chunk of his army repeatedly and took back our VP's to bring the score close to even (parked it on the top VP point on Arena on their side and he for some reason decided to charge directly into that ramp and my Land Raider Redeemer which is a bit of a choke point). 10 min later, despite his team still having a marginal lead, he proceeds to call me cheap for building a "superunit" (his teammate had a baneblade out) and ragequits which pretty much gave us the game.

I really wish I was better at this game though as I make so many stupid mistakes in a given match.
Sounds awesome. Did you save the replay?

I'm avoiding multiplayer, until I have a machine which can run 3v3 or 4v4 at 1080p 60fps, which should be within the month. I fully expect to get my ass destroyed when I finally jump into the fray.

K.Jack said:
Sounds awesome. Did you save the replay?

I'm avoiding multiplayer, until I have a machine which can run 3v3 or 4v4 at 1080p 60fps, which should be within the month. I fully expect to get my ass destroyed when I finally jump into the fray.

I did but I don't want to post it since I did so many stupid things that match (like sending units to battle before they finish capping a point- my reaction is just too damn slow). I wouldn't worry about needing it to run at 60 FPS since once the battles get hectic, the framerate is going to nosedive no matter what. My friend plays this game on an 8800GTS+core 2 duo and despite the performance penalties, he still out micro/macros most players (carries our team) Also there's no 4v4 for multiplayer. It only goes up to 3v3.

BTW, since this is your OP, can I suggest a few links to put up?

For videocasts, this guy is probably the best and most informative one in the community.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HarlequinCasts

The reviews are starting to trickle in but the ones I think have been most informative are the PC Gamer one and the RockPaperShotgun one (though it has no score).

In terms of community, there's a project L2P steam group which I've heard is a mentor/mentee program worth checking out as the learning curve is a bit on the steep end for this game.

I wish there was a website where all the unit stats/abilities/upgrade trees existed (something that relic ideally should've done).

thundr51

Kinda want to pick this up but not sure how it'll run on my machine. Is there a demo available? Didn't see one on steam and would like to buy it there, but D2D sent me a 15% off code...

Decisions..

oh, I NEVER play these online...just skirmish really, and if I get really bored campaign.

Zeliard

Been playing as Chaos in the campaign, good fun so far. They're a fun bunch of evil bastards.

Anyone try the Tyranid campaign? Heard that's the most disappointing one of the bunch.

Top Bottom