• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 2 - Retribution |OT| - Last Minute WAAAAGH!

thundr51 said:
Kinda want to pick this up but not sure how it'll run on my machine. Is there a demo available? Didn't see one on steam and would like to buy it there, but D2D sent me a 15% off code...

Decisions..

oh, I NEVER play these online...just skirmish really, and if I get really bored campaign.

Just download the Dawn of War 2 demo. That'll tell you how well Retribution will run. There's also a benchmarking tool all the Dawn of War 2 games. I don't know if it's available in the demo as well.

Mrbob

thundr51 said:
Kinda want to pick this up but not sure how it'll run on my machine. Is there a demo available? Didn't see one on steam and would like to buy it there, but D2D sent me a 15% off code...

Decisions..

oh, I NEVER play these online...just skirmish really, and if I get really bored campaign.

Good news, you can play the entire campaign online with someone else. Also The Last Stand game mode is a co op Horde still survival mode and very fun. I never touch competitive multi or skirmish and have put near 200 hours into DoW2, Chaos Rising, and now Retribution.

Also, as noted above just grab the DoW2 demo.

Philthy

DoW2 really scales pretty good as well. Just keep shadows and AA off and most anything can run it. If it's still slow, you can start lowering everything else.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Gully State said:
I did but I don't want to post it since I did so many stupid things that match (like sending units to battle before they finish capping a point- my reaction is just too damn slow). I wouldn't worry about needing it to run at 60 FPS since once the battles get hectic, the framerate is going to nosedive no matter what. My friend plays this game on an 8800GTS+core 2 duo and despite the performance penalties, he still out micro/macros most players (carries our team) Also there's no 4v4 for multiplayer. It only goes up to 3v3.
I meant to say FFA and my mind was still on the 4v4 of DOW1. You're right.

I don't need 60fps, it's just that my current notebook barely averages 30fps @ 1680x1050, even in 1v1. I'd have a new one by now, if not for the Intel debacle.

It isn't a need. The Emperor demands that I behold the 60fps glory.
BTW, since this is your OP, can I suggest a few links to put up?

For videocasts, this guy is probably the best and most informative one in the community.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HarlequinCasts

The reviews are starting to trickle in but the ones I think have been most informative are the PC Gamer one and the RockPaperShotgun one (though it has no score).

In terms of community, there's a project L2P steam group which I've heard is a mentor/mentee program worth checking out as the learning curve is a bit on the steep end for this game.

I wish there was a website where all the unit stats/abilities/upgrade trees existed (something that relic ideally should've done).

Funny you mention the OP, as before I got distracted reading your battle report, I came in to this thread to ask about what I should add to the OP.

I'll collect the reviews and get them up soon. All other suggestions are welcome.

Zeliard said:
Anyone try the Tyranid campaign? Heard that's the most disappointing one of the bunch.
That wouldn't surprise me. DoW is a game of over the top personality, and the Nids have zero.

Sober

K.Jack said:
That wouldn't surprise me. DoW is a game of over the top personality, and the Nids have zero.
If they added Necrons, I would expect the same thing, especially from what I learned about their race in the unit VOs in Dark Crusade
all they do is beep

Campaign is pretty fun, I like it, especially being able to sit your heroes to instead make an army. Only thing that's weird is if you can somehow build over 10 units, you can't really see them on the right sidebar for quick access. IG is fun as hell, especially sending tons of guardsmen to their deaths.

K.Jack said:

Any info in the nid campaign?

Unless you're not devouring star systems i can't see how a tyranid campaign can do them justice.

Zeliard

I've been playing as Chaos first, pretty sure I'm nearing the end. Heroes have a level cap of 10, which gives you an idea of how long each campaign is. They're still meaty enough, though.

I've pretty much stuck to the four heroes with Chaos. I tend to use upgrades on them in the battlefield (especially Eliphas, who is simply a beast), though I occasionally bolster them with Heretics, tanks and/or Dreadnoughts in some of the longer missions. I like the choices offered both in the initial loadout, and choosing what to use resources on.

Gonna try Tyranid next since they only have one hero, so I can mess more with the mounds of other units.

Edit: Also, huge bonus for Steam integration and dismissing GFWL!

The difficulty is all over the place, or maybe I'm just getting better with my squad load-outs. I'm playing the IG campaign, and I've found that there is no reason to bring along Adrastia or Lord Brenn (both melee characters). The teams that you get in their places are much more effective against both vehicles and infantry.

Zeliard

Haven't tried IG yet but with Chaos, each of the four heroes is very useful and I rarely saw fit to replace any of them. Only time I did was in one mission where I replaced Kain (who is sort of similar to Tarkus) with Chaos Space Marines out of curiosity, but they didn't really seem much better.

It's also less of an issue since you can simply add some pretty significant units on the battlefield in addition to those four heroes (at least if you choose to unlock those units). No real reason to switch the big 4 out when I can flank them with a couple Dreadnoughts (which can be repaired by the Plague Champion). Though, I did play on Normal - maybe on Hard it's more effective to vary initial loadouts up more.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
The Guard heroes really aren't that great. Bernn's got pretty bad abilities and if you bench him you get a squad of Ogryns that consists entirely of Bone'eads. It's a no-brainer. Adrastia has lots of abilities that seem okay but needs constant attention to keep activating them. I'd rather have the replacement squad that can handle itself well enough if I'm not giving them my full attention.

I'd actually bench the General too if it gave me the option. Merrick seems like the only good one out of the lot because he gets artillery strikes and the skill that lets him ignore setup and teardown on heavy weapons. And he's the only likable member of the group to boot.

Yeah, the SM heroes are insanely more powerful. The tech marine with the drop pod vulnerable dread for 100 energy? He alone could kill all of the IG heroes. Diomedes with the vamp life skill setup for melee is practically invincible as well.

ArjanN

Ikuu said:
Edit: Been trying to find a game for almost 30minutes now, is it really so hard for a game to match 3 people together.

I think the matchmaking is just a little buggy/overloaded. Just quit to menu and try again, pretty sure it should never last more than a minute.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Having multiplayer slowdown because other people have terrible machines/connections is so annoying, it really feels like the majority of people online have either a terrible connection or machine.

Anno

How good is the Last Stand matchmaking? If I randomly search as a fresh lvl 1 will I be put in with higher level people? Is it generally hard to find a team?

ixix said:
The Guard heroes really aren't that great. Bernn's got pretty bad abilities and if you bench him you get a squad of Ogryns that consists entirely of Bone'eads. It's a no-brainer. Adrastia has lots of abilities that seem okay but needs constant attention to keep activating them. I'd rather have the replacement squad that can handle itself well enough if I'm not giving them my full attention.

I'd actually bench the General too if it gave me the option. Merrick seems like the only good one out of the lot because he gets artillery strikes and the skill that lets him ignore setup and teardown on heavy weapons. And he's the only likable member of the group to boot.

lols - We're basically playing the same load-out. The only optional guy I always take is Merrick.

You can make the General useful with the dlc Hat that gives health and energy boosts for each kill, and arm him with a sniper rifle. That guarantees one hit kills for him, and the constant health boosts keep your special squads - the veteran storm troopers and Bone'eads - in the game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Anno said:
How good is the Last Stand matchmaking? If I randomly search as a fresh lvl 1 will I be put in with higher level people? Is it generally hard to find a team?

It's pretty random. It's not hard to find players, though. Just make sure you do the original map when doing random matchmaking. Most random teams can't seem to get past the second wave on the new one. =P

Sober

ixix said:

The General with the sniper rifle and the valk reinforce ability are more than enough, minus the fact he can't be replaced. At least he can one-shot snipers or weapon platforms. Merrick is awesome with instant setup/teardown. I never really liked IG doing melee anyway except Ogryns (and I really hate the pseudo-melee option with Catachans), it seemed better to just suppress the crap out of everyone and then gun them down.

Also, spamming guardsmen and stormtroopers never gets old. And having the popcap to pop out 3 Leman Russes is nice, they more or less obliterate anything.

Anno

I've been watching Harlequin's casts for the last hour or so and I'm really impressed. It's a really nice change from Starcraft II in terms of how the battles flow. I like that it's slower paced, too. All the upgrades and different unites keep the battles fresh and I'm always seeing new stuff.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Is anyone else unable to connect to the chat rooms or search for games at all?

Edit: Seems it was my connection, but the matchmaking in this game is still absolutely terrible.

Arucardo

Just finished the Chaos Rising campaign earlier today. I'll be sure to pick this up when I'm craving for some more DoW II :) .

Just finished the Space Nazi Marine campaign, really frigging weird to have guys who were traitors in my Chaos Rising campaign be the heroes in Retribution.
Makes the plot even more nonsensical than it already is.

Really enjoy the new setup of campaign, with a lot of reasons for replay; you can either play it as a 'traditional' RTS style campaign, where you slowly unlock new units as you progress through the game, or you can play it as the traditional DoW2 campaign where you loot whore with your small squad of heroes. Or a hybrid of the two. Personally, Cyrus didn't get a look in, because terminators own.

I got the CE, and for all the talk of the DLC uniques not being worth it / you get better weapons during the campaign - I can categorically say is not true. The SM DLC is grotesquely overpowered, and I was using pretty much all of it for the entire campaign. Admittedly haven't tried any of the other races yet, but having top-tier purples from the start is likely to get me to play other races just using honor guard.

My biggest complaint is there seems to be a really horrible memory leak somewhere - as you play through you get increasingly long 'pre-load' times - the actual 'load' times seem fine, but before actually getting to a loading screen (or, weirdly, trying to exit the game) you just get a still image with no indicators for well over a minute.

I haven't tried any multiplayer, mostly because its going to look like I have a shitty machine / connection due to this weird loading bug, but apart from this issue (and frankly, it's big enough that I don't want to play much more until it's fixed) the games great.

EDIT:

Zeliard said:
I've been playing as Chaos first, pretty sure I'm nearing the end. Heroes have a level cap of 10, which gives you an idea of how long each campaign is. They're still meaty enough, though.

The campaign seemed a decent enough length to me, but quoting this just to make an observation about the new levelling system; earlier games did go up to level 20, but they've streamlined the shit out of the levelling process in retribution.

In DoW2 / CR, you did get 20 levels, but there was a lot of filler levels there where you were just tweaking stats - Retribution gives you a new ability with every level, so every level is actually meaningful so it always feels like levelling up has a point.

Even better, levelling up units you don't use also has a point, because a lot of hero abilities are auto applied to honor guard units when that heros not in play, so again, levelling up feels useful rather than just number crunching.

Durante

dow2-2011-03-06-01-27-copd.png

Where's the :lol smiley when you need it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Durante said:
dow2-2011-03-06-01-27-copd.png

Where's the :lol smiley when you need it.

Yea I used that for the last few missions, it's so damn awesome, stunning dudes, shutting off vehicles and calling in aerial death. Just watch out for friendly fire.

Retribution seems a lot easier than DoW2 vanilla/CR for the last difficult setting. It might be the dlc items fucking with the balance though. Especially the last boss in retribution vs the last boss in CR (even if the fucker didn't full heal bug on me...).

JoeBoy101

Beat the campaign with Chaos earlier. The late mission
where you are fighting on Typhon to escape from the Exterminatus
was positively inspired. One of the best scenario based missions I've played in a while.

Zeliard said:
Haven't tried IG yet but with Chaos, each of the four heroes is very useful and I rarely saw fit to replace any of them. Only time I did was in one mission where I replaced Kain (who is sort of similar to Tarkus) with Chaos Space Marines out of curiosity, but they didn't really seem much better.

It's also less of an issue since you can simply add some pretty significant units on the battlefield in addition to those four heroes (at least if you choose to unlock those units). No real reason to switch the big 4 out when I can flank them with a couple Dreadnoughts (which can be repaired by the Plague Champion). Though, I did play on Normal - maybe on Hard it's more effective to vary initial loadouts up more.

When you get later in game, the bonuses to troops for sitting a hero can be HUGE. Plus, sitting Neroth to get a free extra powerful dreadnought you can recover for free is very nice. Kain w/ a heavy weapon is usually decent, though the cadre of Chaos Marines you get with his bonuses is nice too. Only one a rarely sat was Varius. He was a beast in taking out fortified locations.

Vorador

Banned
Just beat the campaign with Space Marines

the batshit insane speech Kyras do at the briefing of the last mission is fucking awesome.

Sinatar

Got IG, Ork and Eldar under my belt.

Getting really sick of the exterminatus mission, but other then that, great stuff.

Darklord

Banned
I tried installing this but I get a message saying I need to activate the original game first. I have both Dawn of War and Chaos Rising on my steam, both installed. What the hell? :\

Sinatar

Darklord said:
I tried installing this but I get a message saying I need to activate the original game first. I have both Dawn of War and Chaos Rising on my steam, both installed. What the hell? :\

Very odd, this is standalone and doesn't interface with DoW2/CR in any way shape or form (well ok it can import your last stand characters).

54-46!

I'm assuming this isn't the last expansion? I want to play it but I'd rather have the complete set of games in a neat box on my shelf ;)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
54-46! said:
I'm assuming this isn't the last expansion? I want to play it but I'd rather have the complete set of games in a neat box on my shelf ;)
This probably won't happen, and it is also likely the last expansion. There were talks of DoW3 last year.

szaromir

Banned
54-46! said:
Why bother in digital distribution age? DOW2 Complete Pack is €50 on Steam, you get 3 campaigns for that and all of the multiplayer in Retribution.

54-46!

Lyphen said:
This probably won't happen, and it is also likely the last expansion. There were talks of DoW3 last year.
B-but.. but what about Tau?

szaromir said:
Why bother in digital distribution age? DOW2 Complete Pack is €50 on Steam, you get 3 campaigns for that and all of the multiplayer in Retribution.
I like shiny boxes on my shelf.

sflufan

Banned
Homeworld III or Company of Heroes: Ostfront before Dawn of War III please!

As much as I loved Retribution, I think Relic needs a Warhammer break!

54-46!

sflufan said:

I'd love to see the japanese (kamikaze bombers and infantry with katana) and the french resistance
lol
in CoH2.

I've barely touched the singleplayer as multiplayer has been my obsession so far. My only problem with multiplayer is that there is a dearth of info on abilities/upgrades/units and tech trees (sucks since I just started playing multiplayer on a regular basis with the advent of the beta). DOW2.info is probably the best resource but not only are things still missing but the layout of the site isn't very streamlined. I wish Relic would've designed a more comprehensive site for this.

Philthy

fizzelopeguss said:
Any info in the nid campaign?

Unless you're not devouring star systems i can't see how a tyranid campaign can do them justice.

Nid campaign is just fine so long as you don't play it the first time through. Choose any other race the first time so you can get a sense of story and interaction. Second time through the dialogue is not as important, so with nids, it's basically 'New world found, CONSUME, EAT, CONSUME.' and such. It's what I would have expected, and you basically drive a huge mf'n swarm of teeth and claws and pointy bits around the map eating away at everything.

It's fun.

deim0s

Steamrolled that prick with IG!
Basically I just parked the BaneBlade and 3 Russ's at the entrance. Who needs power armor!

How different are the other races' campaign? It seems there will be the some scenarios with the same map/objectives used.

Sinatar

deim0s said:
Steamrolled that prick with IG!
Basically I just parked the BaneBlade and 3 Russ's at the entrance. Who needs power armor!

How different are the other races' campaign? It seems there will be the some scenarios with the same map/objectives used.

Some? The campaign is *identical* for all 6 races. Only the dialog changes, the first mission will swap the enemies you fight, but their locations and types are the same.

Salazar

sflufan said:

Well, the THQ shooter is due soonish.

Llyranor

Really been enjoying this.

Ork campaign is a blast. As they've been leveling up, my heroes are becoming a lot more powerful/fun too (I play the Kapn and Brikkfist, co-op buddy does Nailbrain and Spookums). I'll definitely be going through all the campaigns, just to play with the different heroes.

TLS is as good as ever. The new map is pretty cool, and Lord General is fun to play. Instead of arguing over who got to play as the new char, we opted to play as 3 Lord Generals. This sounded like a disaster waiting to happen (it happened), but after a few levels, now they're actually really effective. Between setting turrets (suppression vs missiles - and we just unlocked the exterminator one), deploying squads and switching weapons amongst ourselves, we've created a fairly strong team. Flamer (which means the deployed squads carry flamers too) to get rid of all the weaker enemy groups (pinned down by our turrets), while the sniper deals with bigger baddies. With 3 squads and 3 turrets, we actually end up dealing lots of damage. We can only make it to lvl 17-8 so far, but that's pretty good considering this started out as a joke. The real joke now is how the clone wave 16 is over in less than 10 secs :D

sflufan said:

The IG feel a lot like what I imagined a soviet race would be in CoH. Lots of weak infantry, along with some killer armor. And with units like a commissar and having to execute your own guys to get them to fight harder...

Having said that, I wholeheartedly agree with your statement!

Zeliard

Sinatar said:
Some? The campaign is *identical* for all 6 races. Only the dialog changes, the first mission will swap the enemies you fight, but their locations and types are the same.

Yeah but the races generally play differently enough that it isn't that big an issue, though maybe in your third or fourth time through it might start to wear a bit.

I went through Chaos first and now I'm playing the Tyranids campaign, and those two couldn't play more differently, especially since Tyranids only have one hero. I'm generally going with larger and more varied armies with Tyranids, since with Chaos I almost exclusively stuck with the four heroes.

Narag

mikekennyb said:
The IG feel a lot like what I imagined a soviet race would be in CoH. Lots of weak infantry, along with some killer armor. And with units like a commissar and having to execute your own guys to get them to fight harder...

THere was a COH mod that added just that iirc.

Zeliard said:
Yeah but the races generally play differently enough that it isn't that big an issue, though maybe in your third or fourth time through it might start to wear a bit.

I went through Chaos first and now I'm playing the Tyranids campaign, and those two couldn't play more differently, especially since Tyranids only have one hero. I'm generally going with larger and more varied armies with Tyranids, since with Chaos I almost exclusively stuck with the four heroes.

The problem is how short and simplistic each campaign is. There is no balance between the heroes,squads and gear. I hit the level cap 60% of the way through the SM campaign for example.

54-46! said:
I'd love to see the japanese (kamikaze bombers and infantry with katana) and the french resistance
lol
in CoH2.

A modernish CoH would be nice. They could go the World in Conflict and just make up a fictional East v West/Commie v CapDem war.

Top Bottom