• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 2 - Retribution |OT| - Last Minute WAAAAGH!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Jinaar said:
WARGGGGHHHH!

Honestly, Ork Campaign is best campaign.

OP0Zy.gif

sogood.gif

NukeDukem

Banned
I'm playing through the Castor campaign and liking it alot, how much time (Roughly) does it take to complete a campaign w/o doing optional missions?

Goon Boon

Banned
Did they fix how the game would lag for everyone if one jackoff set their settings too high? I really want to play, but if that still in this is still poison to me.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
NukeDukem said:
I'm playing through the Castor campaign and liking it alot, how much time (Roughly) does it take to complete a campaign w/o doing optional missions?

Well with the optional missions it takes 6-8 hours. Without... who knows, what kind of freak purposefully avoids content in a game they bought.

NukeDukem

Banned
Trying to get an estimate to how much time i got ahead of me, i want to complete all the campaigns. I'm a huge warhammer40k fan.

Just finished an online match as the orks... How can someone not have a grin on their face from playing with these guys? Love the voiceovers.

Gvaz

Banned
So about how long is this game? I got to about the endgame of DOW2 and tried grinding the last bits out for the achievement, and because I wanted to kill the super elite tyranid guy (but couldn't)

I think I gimped my characters because I honestly cannot beat them whatsoever. There's no way to respec either, so that kinda pissed me off.

I got Chaos Rising even but I want to import my guys so I've been putting that off as well :(

Does this one have an import feature or no?

I just started playing DoW 2 (haven't decided on Retribution yet) and am playing some skirmish to try to get used to the multiplayer systems. I've played at lot of CoH (never great at it, but I understood it), and I think that may actually be my big stumbling block since this appears similar, but I think it's actually completely different.

I've watched some of those Harlequin casts and I appreciate what they're doing with the L2P stuff; however, I need some "real" basics and can't seem to find any.

You know, when I was learning to play SC2 there was Day9 saying, "always spend down your money and always have a worker being built--doing this alone will get you to gold or platinum." And that was REALLY effective.

So what is the BASE level of this game, regardless of race or map, what are the stupid basics?

Should you really only ever have like 5 total units?
Who should you upgrade?
Do you keep your squads together, or separate?
How do you spend your requisition and energy once you have those units--which upgrades do you prioritize?
If you get your commander an armor upgrade and then buy a new one, do they stack?
Same with anyone else--if you buy a squad an anti-vehicle upgrade, and then, I dunno, shotguns, do they stack? Or do you only have the last one?
What should you ALWAYS be doing?

Is there a good guide out there?

Des0lar

will learn eventually
SnakeswithLasers said:
I just started playing DoW 2 (haven't decided on Retribution yet) and am playing some skirmish to try to get used to the multiplayer systems. I've played at lot of CoH (never great at it, but I understood it), and I think that may actually be my big stumbling block since this appears similar, but I think it's actually completely different.

I've watched some of those Harlequin casts and I appreciate what they're doing with the L2P stuff; however, I need some "real" basics and can't seem to find any.

You know, when I was learning to play SC2 there was Day9 saying, "always spend down your money and always have a worker being built--doing this alone will get you to gold or platinum." And that was REALLY effective.

So what is the BASE level of this game, regardless of race or map, what are the stupid basics?

Should you really only ever have like 5 total units?
Who should you upgrade?
Do you keep your squads together, or separate?
How do you spend your requisition and energy once you have those units--which upgrades do you prioritize?
If you get your commander an armor upgrade and then buy a new one, do they stack?
Same with anyone else--if you buy a squad an anti-vehicle upgrade, and then, I dunno, shotguns, do they stack? Or do you only have the last one?
What should you ALWAYS be doing?

Is there a good guide out there?

You should have as much units as you see fit. There more units you have, the less income you get.
You should upgrade what you need to upgrade. Some things are no brainers, like the eternal war upgrade for Chaos Space Marines.

If you buy a new armor, the old one gets replaced. Most of the units can't respec, so once you bought shotguns for the scouts you can't give them sniper rifles.
Exception are the Tactical Marines.

Map control is important as well as squad wipes. If you manage to kill a whole squad, that is huge.

There is no guide for a new DoW player, you have to know all the stuff by heart and it can be frustrating to learn. Most importantly: Never engage melee squads with ranged units in melee. The only exception are the Catachan Devils, which sometimes can kill dedicated melee squads in close combat.
Use stuff like the ability to engage with you tactical marines in close combat against imperal guardsmen or guardians. Space Marines are very strong even in melee.

The best way to learn is to play and lose a lot. But it is more fun if you have a teammate for 2v2. IMO the game is designed for 2v2 and not 1v1.

DoW is very noob-unfriendly and takes a lot of patience to learn. But once you get it, its very fun because it's so action packed.

Des0lar said:
You should have as much units as you see fit. There more units you have, the less income you get.
You should upgrade what you need to upgrade. Some things are no brainers, like the eternal war upgrade for Chaos Space Marines.

If you buy a new armor, the old one gets replaced. Most of the units can't respec, so once you bought shotguns for the scouts you can't give them sniper rifles.
Exception are the Tactical Marines.

Map control is important as well as squad wipes. If you manage to kill a whole squad, that is huge.

There is no guide for a new DoW player, you have to know all the stuff by heart and it can be frustrating to learn. Most importantly: Never engage melee squads with ranged units in melee. The only exception are the Catachan Devils, which sometimes can kill dedicated melee squads in close combat.
Use stuff like the ability to engage with you tactical marines in close combat against imperal guardsmen or guardians. Space Marines are very strong even in melee.

The best way to learn is to play and lose a lot. But it is more fun if you have a teammate for 2v2. IMO the game is designed for 2v2 and not 1v1.

DoW is very noob-unfriendly and takes a lot of patience to learn. But once you get it, its very fun because it's so action packed.
Thanks for your help, it's appreciated. However, the bolded made me laugh. Those are the problems with my understanding of this game! It's all up to judgment and knowing the situation. I find that I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out the situations and I really don't learn from being smashed--hard to learn when you don't know what to look for (or whether your opponent beat you because they played well, or they're just a bit better than you, but still terrible).

SnakeswithLasers said:

As a neophyte to the multiplayer arena, I share your pain in that the community for this game is pretty insular and the game has a horrible learning curve. I'm only starting to understand but hopefully what I've learned so far can benefit.

The basic from what I gather is that the game is broken down into a few phases.
In early game, the priority is capping power nodes and to a lesser extent requisition points. Requisition is less important only because there are more of those points on the map. Power is the most important resource in the early game-> mid game b/c it's tied to individual upgrades/certain units as well as tech upgrades (tier 2 /3 units). Why is this important? Well the early tech advantage allows you to field armored units earlier which gives you a field advantage by having a unit that can't be countered for an x amount of time and forces your opponent to react (buying anti-armor upgrades etc...). Victory points (which are directly tied to winning the game ) are important in the later game once you've setup your army. That's not to say that you shouldn't be capping Victory points, but being slightly behind isn't bad so long as you're not being 3 capped in victory points. It's actually not rare for someone to be down 2:1 in victory points and come back to win the game.

Some other tips

-Capping/decapping- You always want to be capping/decapping as much as possible since map control is directly tied to resources/victory. After you push opposing units back, cap as much as possible. Always have a group in 1v1 dedicated in capping things. This ensures that even if you're losing a skirmish, you're still gaining ground somewhere else. Splitting up your forces is less important in 3v3 since there a ton of units running around already.

-Retreating units take less ranged damage but suffer a penalty from melee damage and still take full damage from AOE (the really good players can toss grenades into the retreating path of players). If you see a group of units retreating and running at your units, don't fire on them, press 'z' (or 'f' if you're using gridkeys) and target them to force melee

-While retreating is important, try not to retreat all your squads at once...layer it so that there's at least on squad covering the retreat or better yet just back up manually as a lot of the times, people will stop pursuing. That way you don't give up too much position.

- In regards to what units to build, what upgrades to equip and when to do it? That unfortunately comes with experience and just knowing what units do what.
http://dow2.info/rt

Probably the best reference site but only by virtue of it being the only one out there. It's good if you want to look up exactly what does what but the layout in my opinion isn't very good and makes it hard to read for the beginner. It's still a good start.

- Focus Fire is your friend- As much as humanly possible, always target the weakest units first and just focus fire on them with all your units. Killing models=XP for your troops-> leveling up which grants damage and HP increases among other things.

Thanks man--glad I'm not the only one who finds all of this a bit mind boggling.

Each time I boot up DoW2 I just want to retreat back to CoH..........But I'm trying to stick in there and learn it!

SnakeswithLasers said:
Thanks man--glad I'm not the only one who finds all of this a bit mind boggling.

Each time I boot up DoW2 I just want to retreat back to CoH..........But I'm trying to stick in there and learn it!

Honestly, you should've just gotten Retribution if multiplayer was your plan. The multiplayer community is there right now. Not to mention the matchmaking works a lot better. I can only imagine that the few people playing vanilla DOW2 are the diehard veteran players that know every nook and cranny of the game yet hate any of the changes made.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
What race and hero do you play? I haven't jumped into Retribution's MP yet (waiting for new laptop), but one thing I found effective in vanilla, was to start early hero play like this:

Cap your one point, then immediately begin the harass of your opponents first squad on field. If you send your hero early, you'll almost always find the default squad capping a power node, and you can force them to pull back early. This will delay their tech. Some players even stop paying attention to the first squad, so you may even pick off half of the units.

The one thing to balance is that you don't want to take to0 much hero damage early, so who you play with and against dictates how well the early harass tactics works.

Example: You don't want to melee harass Nids too hard with a Farseer, while a Chaos Lord or Warboss will walk through a squad of Gaunts, but will be kited by Eldar or SM Scouts.

I can't wait to jump in and get my butt handed to me. I'm like a week or two away from my new machine, so we should get some GAF matches up and going, sometime soon.

Gully State said:
Honestly, you should've just gotten Retribution if multiplayer was your plan. The multiplayer community is there right now. Not to mention the matchmaking works a lot better. I can only imagine that the few people playing vanilla DOW2 are the diehard veteran players that know every nook and cranny of the game yet hate any of the changes made.
Well, I didn't just buy vanilla--a friend of mine found it for super cheap and gave it to me as he already owned it, so it is what I have. =D
K.Jack said:
What race and hero do you play? I haven't jumped into Retribution's MP yet (waiting for new laptop), but one thing I found effective in vanilla, was to start early hero play like this:

Cap your one point, then immediately begin the harass of your opponents first squad on field. If you send your hero early, you'll almost always find the default squad capping a power node, and you can force them to pull back early. This will delay their tech. Some players even stop paying attention to the first squad, so you may even pick off half of the units.

The one thing to balance is that you don't want to take to0 much hero damage early, so who you play with and against dictates how well the early harass tactics works.

Example: You don't want to melee harass Nids too hard with a Farseer, while a Chaos Lord or Warboss will walk through a squad of Gaunts, but will be kited by Eldar or SM Scouts.

I can't wait to jump in and get my butt handed to me. I'm like a week or two away from my new machine, so we should get some GAF matches up and going, sometime soon.
As vanilla as possible--Space Marines, Offensive. Really trying to learn the basics here. I'll start my game like that then--cap my energy and head over to harass their natural energy point.

SnakeswithLasers said:
Well, I didn't just buy vanilla--a friend of mine found it for super cheap and gave it to me as he already owned it, so it is what I have. =D

As vanilla as possible--Space Marines, Offensive. Really trying to learn the basics here. I'll start my game like that then--cap my energy and head over to harass their natural energy point.

So Force Commander.. I forgot which patch it was but FC was severely nerfed awhile back b/c his damage/knockback was too good. The problem with Space Marines is that they're at a disadvantage at tier 1 due to their speed as well as unit cost. You're always going to be fighting from behind when starting out. The common strategy is to try to tech up to tier 2 as fast as possible as their units (especially tactical marines) scale really well into late game. The common build I see is Force commander+ scout +shotgun /Tactical marine squad/ Armor of alacrity (for sprint) and power sword (infantry damage). Then stall and advance to tech two as quickly as possible. Keep your tac marines behind cover, suppress when needed with scout + shotgun and flank/chase with your FC.

Gully State said:
So Force Commander.. I forgot which patch it was but FC was severely nerfed awhile back b/c his damage/knockback was too good. The problem with Space Marines is that they're at a disadvantage at tier 1 due to their speed as well as unit cost. You're always going to be fighting from behind when starting out. The common strategy is to try to tech up to tier 2 as fast as possible as their units (especially tactical marines) scale really well into late game. The common build I see is Force commander+ scout +shotgun /Tactical marine squad/ Armor of alacrity (for sprint) and power sword (infantry damage). Then stall and advance to tech two as quickly as possible. Keep your tac marines behind cover, suppress when needed with scout + shotgun and flank/chase with your FC.
Awesome!
How does the late game develop here?
In T2, do I just decide whether to build a vehicle or anti-vehicle squad based on what the opponent has?

Daigoro

all this base level strategy talk makes me want to man up and actually learn to play this game online.

its such a great game, but the learning curve for vs is just so daunting to me.

Daigoro said:
all this base level strategy talk makes me want to man up and actually learn to play this game online.

its such a great game, but the learning curve for vs is just so daunting to me.

Ugh lost 3 straight games tonight where my team was ahead 2:1...The game is so frustrating at times...

Dreavus

I'm a huge fan of the series, but never got around to CR's campaign... which is preventing me from getting this game. I gotta get on that as soon as possible.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
SnakeswithLasers said:
Thanks for your help, it's appreciated. However, the bolded made me laugh. Those are the problems with my understanding of this game! It's all up to judgment and knowing the situation. I find that I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out the situations and I really don't learn from being smashed--hard to learn when you don't know what to look for (or whether your opponent beat you because they played well, or they're just a bit better than you, but still terrible).

The problem is, there's really no other way :(

As I read you wanted to play Space Marines. So do I (sometimes).
What you want to do is get a tactical Marine Squad instantly, cap a point with your scouts and your commander. And that's all that is certain in the beginning really.
Then it's all up to you. You see banshees? You need shotguns. You see mass melee? You need a devestator. You see him abusing cover and buildings? You need a scout seargent for grenades. You see a setup team? You need Assault Marines.

The key is, that you have to know what is possible and what is not. If he has 3 supression teams on the field, thats 90 energy and his T2 will be horribly delayed. You don't have to counter that with 2 assaults because that would be 100 energy and so you would have lost more than he did.
In that situation, decap and cap as much as possible, try to flank, and use grenades. Setup teams are horrible at capping points because then they are really vulnerable.

Power is important, but do not spend to much requisition for it in the first minutes of the game. If you have to retreat and he hits yoour power node with a flamer thats 425 requistion down the drain + the lost power income. Most of the time it's game over right there, if your enemy makes no crucial mistake.

T2 is the same as T1, get a unit out first? He has to counter it now. He gets his T2 unit out first? You have to counter it.

Always attack the weakest link in his army, force as many reinforcements as possible.
Exception are the vehicles. Kill a vehicle and it's gone. No reinforcement, so if possible kill it fast.
Keep unit model losses at a minimum. Better to lose a point than to lose 2 tactical marines out of 3.
Scouts are fragile, so if he has a ranger squad, keep them in the back, only for the shotgun or grenades.

K.Jack

Early T2 is a game of chicken, more so than any RTS I've played.

Dreavus said:
I'm a huge fan of the series, but never got around to CR's campaign... which is preventing me from getting this game. I gotta get on that as soon as possible.
At this point, I want to say skip it but the campaign was so awesome.

Pick up Retribution first, if you want to jump into multiplayer now, then get CR for the story.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
They gave a preview of the new Last Stand wargear.

It's a very melee-centric update. The Farseer and Hive Tyrant each get a new ranged weapon, but everything else looks to either be a melee weapon or something that enhances melee performance.

They don't say what the DPS for the weapons or the armor rating for the armor is, making it pretty hard to guess at exactly how useful the individual pieces will be.

I hate the way vehicle pathing works in this game and I wish Relic would fix it. I've lost so many units because instead of moving backwards, it'll do a 360 followed by a 180 turn (exposing the back side) before moving backwards. It's infuriating...

On a side note, I really just need to take the plunge and play 1 v 1. I don't feel as though I'm getting any better playing 3v3 matches as my micro is so goddamn poor.

Mrbob

ixix said:
They gave a preview of the new Last Stand wargear.

It's a very melee-centric update. The Farseer and Hive Tyrant each get a new ranged weapon, but everything else looks to either be a melee weapon or something that enhances melee performance.

They don't say what the DPS for the weapons or the armor rating for the armor is, making it pretty hard to guess at exactly how useful the individual pieces will be.

Can someone post the details here? For some reason it says access denied when I click on the link.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Mrbob said:
Can someone post the details here? For some reason it says access denied when I click on the link.

Huh. Sorry 'bout that. Here it is, copied and pasted for your reading pleasure:

In addition to a variety of bug fixes and balance updates the 3.14 patch will include new free Last Stand DLC in the form of 12 new achievements, each of which unlock a new wargear item. Each hero will have 2 new pieces of wargear, but expect some steep challenges to unlock the corresponding wargear! The new wargear will be immediately visible in the Last Stand inventory for all players and each item’s tooltip will describe the achievement you’ll need to unlock and how close you are to unlocking it.

The new wargear items aim to both augment existing roles for each hero and also to add new roles as well. The Imperial Guard Commander will receive the Duelist Honors accessory which greatly increases his effectiveness in melee which should result in his melee weapons becoming more viable. At the other end of the spectrum, the Farseer’s existing casting abilities will be significantly improved by her Laughing Stave, a staff which decreases the energy cost of her abilities and knockbacks back enemies with ranged damage.

Space Marine Captain
Thunder Hammer
Melee Weapon
Traits: Stuns Vehicles, Knockback
Achievement: Fury of the Primarchs
Description: Neither flesh or machine shall give the wielder of this hammer pause, for its thunder rends through both with ease.

Lightning Claw
Melee Weapon
Traits: Lightning damage over time
Achievement: The Warrior Born
Description: Those unfortunate foes wounded by this lightning claw are further ravaged - a lingering charge of energy saps whatever strength is left.

Eldar Farseer
Laughing Stave
Ranged Weapon
Traits: Ranged Knockback, Reduced Ability Energy Cost
Achievement: Advanced Multiplication
Description: The psychic energy that rolls from this staff are tainted by a will foreign to its wielder, bouncing and rattling it's foes with every blast.

Mantle of Malan’tai
Armor
Traits: Lightning damage over time
Achievement: Grab Me the Paddles
Description: The battered souls that possess this helm cry out against their fate, bolstering the Farseer's abilities.

Imperial Guard Lord General
The Black Plate
Armor
Traits: Improved melee resistance
Achievement: Unshakable
Description: Designed for improved protection in close combat, the manufacture of this armor has given it an eerie, black sheen.

Duelist Honors
Accessory
Traits: Increased melee damage
Achievement: A Trail of Blood Behind Him
Description: Significantly increases the General's melee damage. Only the most talented and skilled swordsmen of the Imperial Guard are ever afforded such an honor.

Tyranid Hive Tyrant
Behemoth Claw
Melee Weapon
Traits: Improved Armor, Armor Piercing
Achievement: Heavy Hitter
Description: Along with incredible capacity for destruction, these massive claws also provide an extra measure of protection.

Rending Stranglethorn
Ranged Weapon
Traits: Ranged Suppression
Achievement: Megakill!
Description: In addition to suppressing and strangling, the barbs fired from this cannon crystallize into diamond-like shards, rending through any armor the target might have.

Ork Mekboy
Leaky Armor
Armor
Traits: Chance to drop mines when attacked in melee
Achievement: Can’t Touch Dis
Description: The poor maintenance of this armor has left this Mek's gear riddled with holes. When hit, the Mek often "loses" the explosives he's carrying, to his attackers misfortune…

Zzap Knife
Melee Weapon
Traits: Chance on successful attack to teleport the target away
Achievement: The Sharpest Wrench
Description: Wired up to the Mek's personal tellyporta, those wounded by this weapon can be cast aside with a quick tellyport.

Chaos Sorcerer
Accursed Idol
Accessory
Traits: Enemies take damage when attacking the Sorcerer
Achievement: Magic Missiler
Description: An accursed bauble which causes enemies who assail the Sorcerer to receive damage.

Cataclysmic Hellblade
Melee Weapon
Traits: High Damage, Energy cost per hit
Achievement: There Can Only Be One
Description: This daemonic blade was a gift from a Lord of Change. How that Greater Daemon wrangled the blade away from a servant of khorne in the first place is not known. This blade inflicts immense catastrophe, but at the price of the bearer's own mind.

More info to come!

I really like the new campaigns. Finished both marines campaigns on hard. Now Tyranids which are great as well. Bit weird to have only one hero though. that said I'd like to have a bit more varity in the missions. It's the same for all the races all the time, only the talking is a bit different. :( Why not change the scripting on a map as well.

Chaos was awesome! Eliphas burned all to death, the plague king was infecting everyone and they exploded, so awesome :D

Anno

To all Harlequin/DoW2 commentary fans, a livecast is going down for a 128-player tournament hosted by GameReplays.

Edit: Apparently the tournament round is over for today and will pick back up tomorrow at 11 EDT. They're still casting random for-fun games though.

K.Jack

Anno said:
To all Harlequin/DoW2 commentary fans, a livecast is going down for a 128-player tournament hosted by GameReplays.

Edit: Apparently the tournament round is over for today and will pick back up tomorrow at 11 EDT. They're still casting random for-fun games though.
Well there goes my evening.

3.14 Patch notes are out...Patch isn't live yet..

http://community.dawnofwar2.com/blog-post/update-314-preview

3.14 Release Notes
Bugs
Fixed an issue that could cause victory points to display the wrong team colours in observer mode
Fixed an issue that could cause the Kommando Nob to drop stun bombs at inappropriate times
Fixed an issue that was preventing Providence from affecting Fleet of Foot
Fixed an issue that prevented the Carnifex from being able to charge while group selected with a Tyrant Guard
Fixed an issue that prevented Farsight from revealing units cloaked by Tzeentch Heretics' worship
Fixed an issue that allowed the Lictor Alpha with Feeder Tendrils to regenerate health while attacking a Sentinel
Fixed an issue that prevented Warp Spiders from teleporting when group selected with the Warp Spider Exarch
Fixed an issue that caused Autarchs killed by a Plague Champion's Plague Sword to be revived as Space Marine zombies
Fixed an issue that prevented the Lord General from playing his melee animation after being upgraded with any weapon wargear
Added a missing power point icon to the (2p) Ashes of Typhon preview map on the loading screen
Waaagh! is no longer rewarded for killing a Stormboy with Bommaboyz
Fixed an issue that was preventing the setup icon from appearing on the decorator for Noise Marines who have been upgraded with a Blastmaster
Added new effects to 'Ard Boyz and Use Yer Choppas!

New Content
Added 12 new Last Stand achievements
Added Thunder Hammer Last Stand wargear to the Space Marine Captain
Added Lightning Claw Last Stand wargear to the Space Marine Captain
Added Laughing Stave Last Stand wargear to the Eldar Farseer
Added Mantle of Malan'tai Last Stand wargear Eldar Farseer
Added The Black Plate Last Stand wargear to the Imperial Guard Lord General
Added Duelist Honors Last Stand wargear to the Imperial Guard Lord General
Added Behemoth Claw Last Stand wargear to the Tyranid Hive Tyrant
Added Rending Stranglethorn Last Stand wargear to the Tyranid Hive Tyrant
Added Leaky Armor Last Stand wargear to the Ork Mekboy
Added Zzap Knife Last Stand wargear to the Ork Mekboy
Added Accursed Idol Last Stand wargear to the Chaos Sorcerer
Added Cataclysmic Hellblade Last Stand wargear to the Chaos Sorcerer

Balance Updates
Space Marines
Force Commander
Force Commander Iron Halo reduced from 120/30 to 100/20
Force Commander Teleport energy cost reduce from 60 to 50
Force Commander Flesh Over Steel energy cost reduced from 80 to 40
Apothecary
Apothecary Sanguine Sword power cost reduce to 100/20
Master-Crafted Bolter Full Auto ability now does decrease damage when knocking back enemies from 60dps to 50dps.
Scouts
Scout Sniper upgrade req cost reduced from 150 to 90
Scout Sniper reinforce to 35/6
Tactical Marines
Tactical Marines Cost Reduce from 500 to 450
Land Raider
Landraider cost increase from 700/180 to 800/200

Tyranids
Spore Mines
Spore Mines now give 5 red resource points to a player who kills them
Spore Mine Detonation recharge time increased from 4 to 5
Venom Brood
Venom Brood Cost Reduced to 300/10
Swarmlord
Swarmlord Reduced hitpoints from 2000 to 1700

Orks
Kommando Nob
Assassinate can no longer target Sentinels
Tankbustas
TankBusta Cost reduced from 300/15 to 300
Stikbommaz
Stikbomb Waagh! Cost reduced from 16 to 10
Stunbomb Waagh! Cost reduced from 40 to 20
Looted Tank
Changed damage type from pvp_autocannon to pvp_explosive

Chaos
Plague Champion
Increase the range of the decay aura from Icon of Nurgle from 12 to 22
Chaos Lord
Let The Galaxy Burn ability range decrease from 50 to 40
Chaos Havocs
Havoc Autocannon damage type change from autocannon to pvp explosive
Havoc Autocannon cooldown reduced from 3 to 0
Havoc Autocannon area of effect increased from 2.5 to 3
Altered area of effect damage modifiers on Havoc Autcannon

Imperial Guard
Inquisitor
Inquisitor will switch to ranged stance when upgraded with her Crossbow or Inferno Pistol
Inquistor Health increase from 640 to 720
Inquisitor Crossbow damage increase from 45 to 50
Inquisitor Inferno Pistol damage increase from 80 to 100
Lord General
Lord General Grenade Launcher increase cooldown from 2.25 to 3.50
Heavy Weapons Squad
Autocannon damage type changed from autocannon to pvp explosive
Removed on-hit effect that reduced cooldown from Autocannon
Autocannon cooldown decreased from 1.5 to 0
Autocannon damage increased from 45 to 55
Altered area of effect damage modifiers of Autocannon
Catachan Devils
Catachan Devils Explosive Shot Increase energy cost to 50
Catachan Devils Ol Reliable energy cost reduce to 55
Catachan Devils Shogun Damage reduce from 25 to 20
Catachan Devils Upkeep reduced from 0.01275 to 0.0085
Ogryn Squad
Ogryn Cost Reduce from 500/100 to 450/90
Storm Trooper Squad
Stormtroopers now have infiltrate by default, recon kit upgrade removed
Manticore
Manicore Rocket against building modifier reduced from 3 to 0.7
Leman Russ
Leman Russ Cost Reduced from 600/150 to 500/125

Eldar
Warp Spider Exarch
Warp Spider Default range damage reduce from 46 to 40
Warp Spider Exarch Improved Targeters cost increase from 100/30 to 130/35
Warp Spider Exarch Phase Shift ability now disables retreat for him till the ability is done
Farseer
Farseer Spirit Stone cost increase from 100/25 to 120/30
Farseer Fortune Armour cost increase from 100/25 to 110/25
Farseer Ghosthelm now displays a helmet on the Farseer when purchased
Rangers
Ranger Pathfinding Gear cost increase from 45/10 to 55/15
Ranger Infiltrate ticks more energy from 1 to 1.5
Autarch
Autarch Fusion Gun moved to tier 3
Autarch Shield buffer changed from 0.2 to 0.25
Autarch spawning grenade damage reduced from 260 to 180
Warp Spiders
Warp Spiders Teleport now begins on cooldown
Warp Spiders Teleport cost increased from 30 to 35

It's good to see the Leman Russ costs being reduced as it makes it a bit more viable at T3..

I've got a love/hate relationship going with multiplayer right now. On one hand, my unit score has gone up significantly and I'm actually winning in Skirmish with a respectable unit score. On the other hand, this is 2 nights in a row now where the last two matches I've played have ended in come from behind losses. Last night's was ridiculously demoralizing for my friends and I as the other team came from a measly 10 tickets to beat us. Obviously it was a mistake on our end as we had a 2 cap going and I had my Land Raider Redeemer parked near a far corner VP (should've moved back to the middle) and one of my teammates was with me since they had massed on this point earlier. We manage to beat them back and inflict significant losses (and I mean significant- I don't get why people charge the front of the Redeemer with infantry which is running into a grenade barrage) but they ninja capped the other point while ganging my other teammate on the far end (we couldn't get there fast enough due to our bad positioning as well as being space marines/chaos space marines). We ended up losing both points and upon arrival were met with global spams from Ork, Space Marine and Eldar.

Lime

Finished the Imperial Guard campaign last night. It's too bad the story sucks donkey balls, while the gameplay is so fun. I almost facepalmed through my skull when that demon at the end arose from the lava. It couldn't be more generic and terrible. Otherwise it was a fun addition to the DOW2 campaigns and I look forward to playing some Last Stand later on.

I do not understand why they even put a story into this, it only made the experience worse. It's weird Relic once made well-crafted RTS stories and now only produces W40K pulp.

epmode

Lime said:
I do not understand why they even put a story into this, it only made the experience worse. It's weird Relic once made well-crafted RTS stories and now only produces W40K pulp.
This is obviously because Relic has moved the best writers to the team producing Homeworld 3. Sorry, W40K!

Lime said:
Finished the Imperial Guard campaign last night. It's too bad the story sucks donkey balls, while the gameplay is so fun. I almost facepalmed through my skull when that demon at the end arose from the lava. It couldn't be more generic and terrible. Otherwise it was a fun addition to the DOW2 campaigns and I look forward to playing some Last Stand later on.

If narrative is what you want, I'd suggest picking up Chaos Rising. I myself haven't played much of singleplayer this time around but I hear that depending on the campaign, the story varies (supposedly the space marine one is pretty good from what I hear- although there's a bit of plot continuity issues if you had a certain ending for Chaos Rising).

Lime

epmode said:
This is obviously because Relic has moved the best writers to the team producing Homeworld 3. Sorry, W40K!

I fucking wish. Btw, you heard about the newly formed Blackbird Interactive? Rob Cunningham and Paul Ruskay (X-Studio Labs) are notable mentions. But it's a small studio, so don't expect anything AAA.

Gully State said:
If narrative is what you want, I'd suggest picking up Chaos Rising. I myself haven't played much of singleplayer this time around but I hear that depending on the campaign, the story varies (supposedly the space marine one is pretty good from what I hear- although there's a bit of plot continuity issues if you had a certain ending for Chaos Rising).

Already played all of the other DOWs. Besides conveying the W40K universe, they really aren't very good in terms of narrative. Relic already did a classic job on Homeworld 1 and (to some extent HW2) and they haven't reached it since, but the team is obviously much more different than 10 years ago.

Top Bottom