• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning GAF Guild

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Vinci said:
That's the thing. It won't let me put either Live Game or In-Game Bonus Items in. Didn't do it before, 'cause I figured, "What's the point now?" but it's a bit surprising that it won't work now.

I've just been butchering and selling. Making money, buying stuff. Not messing with crafting or whatnot seriously till later.

Seriously? I have inputed all 3 codes that I have and it worked.

Knox

StormyTheRabbit said:
You can put it in, just won't do anything until it starts I believe.

So does anyone know what to do with professions? I just picked up butchering and Apothecary, leveled my butchering to 21, then couldn't figure out how to open the apothecary menu so I just sold my mats.
You have to open your abilities window, "v" I think, or just use the menu at the top. Then go to the general tab on the top. After that there should be a tradeskill tab on the right.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Vinci said:
That's the thing. It won't let me put either Live Game or In-Game Bonus Items in. Didn't do it before, 'cause I figured, "What's the point now?" but it's a bit surprising that it won't work now.
You're supposed to use the account center.

Vinci

Danish
So has anyone gotten a chance to play together yet? Each time I've checked for the people who've listed their names in this thread, they haven't been on. I'm thinking we really need to try to at least meet up specifically one night, like declare a time and a place and people meet there then - just to get the ball rolling.

Retrofluxed

So I finally got a chance to play last night... all I can say is "Woah". Barak Varr was down last night so I rolled on a different server. If Barak Varr is back up tonight, I'll post in this thread what my toon's name is.

Draft

Open Beta starts on September 7th.

Mythic Begins Preparations for September 7th Open Beta

FAIRFAX, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 18, 2008--Mythic Entertainment, an Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) studio, today announced that the open beta for their highly anticipated MMORPG, Warhammer(R) Online: Age of Reckoning(TM) (WAR), will begin on September 7th, 2008. This means that hundreds of thousands of fans will be able to enter the gritty fantasy world of WAR to experience the thrill of Realm vs. Realm(TM) (RvR) combat before the game goes live on September 18th, 2008.

"For three years we have been saying that 'WAR is coming' and the team has been working hard to deliver on this promise," said Mark Jacobs, co-founder and general manager of Mythic Entertainment. "In just a few weeks, we are going to throw open our doors and invite more players into the game than ever before. They will have a chance to delve into the open beta and see for themselves that WAR has arrived and it is glorious!"

Players can get into the North American open beta by pre-ordering Warhammer Online from select retail partners. Participants of the North American closed beta will automatically be granted open beta access. For more information about the WAR open beta, visit www.warhammeronline.com/openbeta.

Available for PC, Warhammer Online is rated "T" for Teen by the ESRB. WAR will be the first MMORPG to launch servers simultaneously in North America, Europe, and Oceania when it goes live on September 18th, 2008. For more information, visit http://www.warhammeronline.com/.

About Warhammer(R) Online: Age of Reckoning(TM)

Experience the glory of Realm vs. Realm(TM)! Declare your allegiance and join hundreds of thousands of mighty heroes on the battlefields of Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, the new MMORPG from Mythic Entertainment, creators of Dark Age of Camelot(TM). Enter a grim fantasy world of perpetual conflict to fight for the Realms of Order (Dwarfs, High Elves, and Empire) or Destruction (Greenskins, Dark Elves, and Chaos). Invade enemy lands, besiege imposing fortresses, and sack sprawling capital cities for the glory of your Realm. Wield devastating magic and deadly weapons, battle monstrous creatures, and join your brothers-in-arms in epic Public Quests(TM). Climb the Bastion Stair, carry your Guild Banner into battle, and unlock the infinite secrets of the Tome of Knowledge as you travel the world. Sharpen your blade and unleash your inner mutation; the Age of Reckoning has begun and WAR IS EVERYWHERE!

About Electronic Arts

Electronic Arts Inc. (EA), headquartered in Redwood City, California, is the world's leading interactive entertainment software company. Founded in 1982, the company develops, publishes, and distributes interactive software worldwide for video game systems, personal computers, cellular handsets and the Internet. Electronic Arts markets its products under four brand names: EA SPORTS(TM), EA(TM), EA SPORTS Freestyle(TM) and POGO(TM). In fiscal 2008, EA posted GAAP net revenue of $3.67 billion and had 27 titles that sold more than one million copies. EA's homepage and online game site is www.ea.com. More information about EA's products and full text of press releases can be found on the Internet at http://info.ea.com.

EA, EA SPORTS, EA SPORTS Freestyle, POGO, Dark Age of Camelot, Public Quests, and Realm vs. Realm are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.

Games Workshop, Warhammer, Warhammer Online, Age of Reckoning, and all associated marks, names, races, race insignia, characters, vehicles, locations, units, illustrations and images from the Warhammer world are either (R), (TM) and/or (C) Games Workshop Ltd 2000-2008. Used under license by Electronic Arts Inc. All Rights Reserved.
http://investor.ea.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=88189&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1188038&highlight

Not really an "open" beta since it's only for people with pre-order codes...

Won

Thank god they wrote "America" in there several times, or someone could actual believe that Mythic cares about Europe. Still no official announcement of anything here.

Retrofluxed

Mark Jacobs said:
Folks,

I'm going to be posting a lot over the next few days but here's a quick update/explanation of where things stand now:

1) As to the type of Open Beta that we are having, I've said for over three years that our Open Beta is not going to be a "Everybody come into the pool, the water's fine!" type of Open Beta. We have never been interested in just having hundreds of thousands of people beat against our servers just so a few thousand can get in. I'm not familiar with any MMORPG company offering an OB where they can support everyone who wants in to the OB. OBs are usually limited in the number of servers/amount of bandwidth that is available for the OB players. If you offer an OB with an almost unlimited number of keys (or keys that vastly outnumber server capacity), you're either really using to stress test your login process or doing it solely as a PR move. I'd rather have an OB where we know the size of the potential player pool and have enough servers and bandwidth so people can actually get into our OB.

2) As to the length of the OB, we have never said that it was going to be a month nor have we ever hinted at it that. The vast majority of OBs run by MMORPG companies have not lasted a month. Is a week too short? I wish we could have made it longer (maybe 2 weeks) but the timing just didn't work out. OB is the last hurdle before the game goes LIVE and with the added Preview Weekend, we lost a few days that might have been able to go into the OB. So, for those that pre-ordered the game, the added Preview Weekend gives you some extra time before the OB. For those that haven't pre-ordered the game and are upset that the OB isn't long enough of a time to tell if you like the game, then I'll say the same thing I've also said for years, then wait a few days or a week, etc. until after the game launches and decide then. Frankly, once the NDA lifts and with the information storm that will follow its release, I can't imagine that players won't have enough time and information to make an informed buying decision.

3) As to the lifting of the NDA and the start of Open Beta, I've been very clear on the fact that the two things are not related at all.

4) As to the NDA, we expect to lift it tomorrow morning. I was hoping it was going to be today but I wanted to wait till I got the beta reports from the weekend and we just didn't have enough time to get everything coordinated with our partners in order for the press release to go out today. This is not the fault of GOA at all, we just had a lot of data to go through and by the time we did that, it would have been too late to put out the release today. As to the three issues that were holding up the release, I'll be discussing them tomorrow. While I wish that we could have lifted the NDA a couple of weeks ago, I'll explain why tomorrow. Given how many MMOs/games don't lift the NDA until launch (or just before or in some cases, never), our lifting it more than 4 weeks (only slightly but it's still 4+ weeks out), is more than sufficient for all the information about the game to hit the Internet.

5) As to the "Why am I downloading the client weeks in advance" stuff, well, it's because we wanted to avoid the situation where we tell people that OB is starting in a week and then people couldn't get the client in time. If we had done that, there would have been lots and lots of posts saying "Epic Fail Mythic, I couldn't get the client in time for your OB!!!!' if things went wrong. By allowing people to download the client early, everybody will have plenty of time to get the client. While I'm usually quite willing to admit when we make a mistake, letting people get the client early is not a mistake, it is simply another way to make it easier for people to get the client. Given the issues with the Torrent solution we used, anyone who says that we are wrong to let people download the client early is simply looking to bash us for no reason.

6) As to how people are going to get the client, as has been speculated, we have added FilePlanet to our file distribution methods. As promised, you do not have to be a FP subscriber to download the client. By retaining both our current methods and by adding FP, we are once again making it more convenient for players to get our game. Additionally, when the game goes LIVE, we will be using our own Mythic Patcher to download updates to the game just as we did with DAoC in addition to other possible methods.

So, that's the quick update for now.

Mark

From the horse's mouth.

the warhammer online thread over on the gaming forum when the NDA breaks out is going to be basically RvR with the WAR people and the WoW people ready to kill each other by the time it is done.

I played all weekend. Can't wait to talk more about the game, already writing my post for tomorrow morning in my text editor.

Won

Fragamemnon said:
the warhammer online thread over on the gaming forum when the NDA breaks out is going to be basically RvR with the WAR people and the WoW people ready to kill each other by the time it is done.

I played all weekend. Can't wait to talk more about the game, already writing my post for tomorrow morning in my text editor.

I will prepare some WoW screenshots for comparisons!

Will be interesting. Read some really bad things from older beta testers.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Won said:
I will prepare some WoW screenshots for comparisons!

Will be interesting. Read some really bad things from older beta testers.

Well you will find out tomorrow what new beta testers and old ones think! :D

Won

Elbrain said:
Well you will find out tomorrow what new beta testers and old ones think! :D

I don't trust new beta testers. The whole "new game, new world to explore!" thing affects an opinion too much. :p

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
nataku said:
NDA up tomorrow, huh?

So is the GAF guild still set on going Destruction?

Yes it's going up tomorrow.

I want to go order just because there will be more destruction to kill! :D

Fragamemnon said:

I can't see how any WoW PvPer can defend it. PvP in WoW has gone in the boring direction of BGs and Arenas without showing any signs of changing. I don't know how Warhammer handles PvP thanks to the NDA, but when they say the game is built from the ground up around PvP and you even level with it, that sold me.

Won

Mammothtank said:
I can't see how any WoW PvPer can defend it. PvP in WoW has gone in the boring direction of BGs and Arenas without showing any signs of changing. I don't know how Warhammer handles PvP thanks to the NDA, but when they say the game is built from the ground up around PvP and you even level with it, that sold me.

Not sure what Fragamemnon meant with that, but one problem seems to be that the game is more WoW than DAoC. From a basic concept point of view at least. And even regarding PvP it seems to follow WoW more than it should. (instancing, instancing, instancing)

But let's wait and see.

Won said:
Not sure what Fragamemnon meant with that, but one problem seems to be that the game is more WoW than DAoC. From a basic concept point of view at least. And even regarding PvP it seems to follow WoW more than it should. (instancing, instancing, instancing)

But let's wait and see.

This doesn't break the NDA as they've talked about it in podcasts or whatever but...

Only scenarios (kind of like BG's) are instanced. Nothing else is. It gets pretty crazy when fighting over towns while doing quests in those towns. Like 40 on 40, not a scenario.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
StormyTheRabbit said:
This doesn't break the NDA as they've talked about it in podcasts or whatever but...

Only scenarios (kind of like BG's) are instanced. Nothing else is. It gets pretty crazy when fighting over towns while doing quests in those towns. Like 40 on 40, not a scenario.
Tomorrow man we will shed light on this!

Won

My biggest fear is actually the combat. I hope they improved on it since the last time I played it, because it was just uninteresting.
But that is something I have to judge by myself as soon the Beta here starts...in the distant future.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I've only really tried Rune Priest so far and I love it.. but I don't want to go too deep into the ranks and get burnt out.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
speedpop said:
I've only really tried Rune Priest so far and I love it.. but I don't want to go too deep into the ranks and get burnt out.

That is what I am doing with the classes only going to a certain lvl and then trying out a new one.

Vinci

Danish
Anyone comparing WoW and WAR when it comes to PvP and proposing they're anything alike is uninformed, mentally handicapped, and/or biased to the point of wanton stupidity. They are not even close.

WAR's PvP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WoW's PvP

Really, it's beyond comparison at this point. There aren't >'s enough.

Chris R

Vinci said:
Anyone comparing WoW and WAR when it comes to PvP and proposing they're anything alike is uninformed, mentally handicapped, and/or biased to the point of wanton stupidity. They are not even close.

WAR's PvP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WoW's PvP

Really, it's beyond comparison at this point. There aren't >'s enough.
Well that is the most probable cause

a) not everyone has had the chance to play both games

and

b) not all the info is out there yet about WAR (which is why it will be nice when the NDA ends)

I'm not doubting that WAR has better PVP, but as I haven't experienced it yet, or seen it in depth (podcasts don't quite cut it) I can't make any judgment as of now.

Vinci

Danish
rhfb said:
Well that is the most probable cause

a) not everyone has had the chance to play both games

and

b) not all the info is out there yet about WAR (which is why it will be nice when the NDA ends)

I'm not doubting that WAR has better PVP, but as I haven't experienced it yet, or seen it in depth (podcasts don't quite cut it) I can't make any judgment as of now.

I'm not disagreeing. Just find it strange that people consistently connect the two games together despite them being very different in many respects. If people haven't played them both, they should reserve judgment.

EDIT: Of course it's part of gamer culture to jump to conclusions about things without evidence to the contrary.

Still seems really difficult for us to get together. Part of what I'm waiting on now is to find out which servers are open rvr, etc. We'll try to get a concrete effort going when Open Beta's up. For now, I'm playing Kurtz (Dest) and Shadwell (Order) on Barak Varr, and also Janus (Dest) on Abhorash. It's hard to play at the moment due to time constraints with school starting back up and also the Elder testing I'm trying to do. I finished most of the FAQ, just waiting on the NDA lift now. here's a little something to help tho...

No doubt about it: Your RR gear is the best you're going to get at first. It's really great. Starting at Battle Rank 4 or 5, you need to start queuing for scenarios. Win or lose, you'll get RR from killing and completing the scen (More if you win but still a good bit if you lose, don't get frustrated and quit!) People may be higher level, but at least the game will bump your stats significantly so you'll stand a chance. While you're waiting on scen's, the idea is that you're still questing seeing as how you can queue from anywhere in the world. Also make sure to train and USE the "Scavenging" trade skill, selling everything you get in this way. It'll make things loads easier. Follow your natural quest progression, and when you arrive at your first Warcamp (friendly area outside of an RvR lake) you can buy any RR 4 gear that is better than your current stuff.

Quest and level (and RvR! try open field if you haven't, capturing objectives gives unbelievable RP) so that when you reach tier two (your second loading "zone") you're at BR 10-12 and RR 8. getting money as you need it, get over to a Keep (little castle in the RvR lake) which your factions owns (blue ones are controlled by order red by dest) and go through the gate and head to the very top, where you'll find your next RR armor/weapon vendor and Renown trainer. This RR 8 gear is absolutely better than anything else you'll find, excluding super-rare PQ loot drops which you probably won't win anyway. You can buy a high dps (or caster stats) weapon, armor with amazing stats, and new armor that you haven't used yet such a helmet, cloak, and shoulder gear. Oh! also, if the opposing faction controlls both of the keeps (the RvR lake continues north/south of where you are) in the area, just use the flight master at the warcamp to take you to a new racial pairing to see if your faction has a keep under their control there.

Good luck.

legend166

Can someone tell me when the real RvR starts?

I'm at level 8 now, and it's been a slog. The scenario's don't really have any appeal to me, because it's just WoW PvP ver2. I want the open world stuff. Am I far away?

Knox

You should be able to do open world stuff now. Open your map and look for battlefield objectives and make your way there.

When you get to zones with keeps it gets better, so level 10+. I don't think it really picks up until your 30's and you can start doing the tier 4 stuff where the keep captures mean a bit more. Also make good use of the open parties if you aren't already, it's the icon to the bottom left of your health/action bars.

LowParry

Open world varies. Teir 1 zones are kinda weak so scenarios are the way to go for the most part (best way to get renown experience :D ). Tier 2 you have access to defend and attack keeps. Those keeps are where you will purchase renown gear (to a certain level of course). You will have plenty of open RvR during your teir 2 times. Also I have to admit, if you're going in solo with this game, it's gonna be a hit or miss for you. You'll solely depend on finding groups that are open. From PvE, to PQ's, to RVR. You'll find it all with your party search system. It's a great feature for the solo player.

Teir 3 I didn't get much into because by the time I was Rank 22, our characters were wiped :(.

Teir 4 and beyond I'm entirely under NDA. Wish I could say more about it. But it's sure is a lot of fun.

Vinci

Danish
Flesh Into Gear said:
Sooooo does the GAF guild start tomarrow D:

Considering all of our toons will be wiped following the beta, I'm hesitating to join the Guild of the Forever till later. Doesn't seem to be a lot of point to starting it now, though I'd love to play with some of the guys on here during beta to get a feel for how each of us plays and learn more.

Once the game is back up tomorrow, I'm likely going to create a new Archmage. Been wanting to try my hand at the hybrid healer and see how I do. Used to get lots of compliments for my Shaman play in WoW and they're obviously different, but I like being able to mix DPS and healing to achieve maximum results.

Even if people are going to bitch 'cause I'm not outhealing a zerg's damage. :\

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
What? I've been gone for 3 days and no activity?

Maybe I need to look harder.

Vinci

Danish
godhandiscen said:
What? I've been gone for 3 days and no activity?

Maybe I need to look harder.

We're pacing ourselves.

In all seriousness though, I haven't been able to meet up with anyone in this thread so far. Not that it's possible at the moment till they bring the servers back up. Still think it would make sense to schedule some sort of meet-up in the game at some point, this weekend especially with all the other people getting to join in.

I'm planning on making an Archmage, 'cause there's a small population of healers on the Order side. However, if people who want to meet would prefer rolling Destruction, I'm fine with that and will make something else accordingly. I just need to know what server to make them on, and when.

If we roll Destruction, I'd prefer if we stay away from Tyrion. I figure most of the people from CB will stay there and that means Destruction would outnumber Order massively - and it's not fun to beat on the underdogs. That's likely true on most servers, but Tyrion seemed to be overwhelmingly Destruction last I checked.

BlackMage

Banned
I kind of hope we end up with a decent sized Order guild for GAF. Destruction looks OK but I think they will become more populated.

Vinci

Danish
doodyball5 said:
I kind of hope we end up with a decent sized Order guild for GAF. Destruction looks OK but I think they will become more populated.

I'd prefer Order for the same reason. This isn't the Alliance vs. Horde. Not all the toons on the Destruction side are monstrous looking, so the push towards Alliance shown in WoW might not exist.

Besides, being the underdog is more fun.

EDIT: Also, guys, I've been reading concerns about the Open servers. Seems a lot of people, even the die-hard RvR folks, are likely going Core for their mains due to potential issues with the chicken feature and how it will impact an Open realm.

Top Bottom