• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

slider

Rally the troops!

I'm waiting for a workman to leave then I'll get my PS3 back online (after having to reset my router) and then, and only then I'll be scouring the servers looking for folk I recognise from GAF.

It's been so long.

Dreohboy

Are any GAF members still playing this?

I'm as close to a complete noob as this game can get, but I'd love to start gaming with some GAF members that might help me get up to speed.

PSN: XPlatformJEDI

Add me if any of you are looking for someone to kill in Warhawk. I've gotta die before I can get better right?

:)

Question: I game with a mic. If I hit L3 while speaking everyone on my team is suppose to be able to hear me right? If I die, both sides can here me while I'm respawning?

Dreohboy said:
Are any GAF members still playing this?
Yes, a lot.
I'm as close to a complete noob as this game can get, but I'd love to start gaming with some GAF members that might help me get up to speed.

PSN: XPlatformJEDI

Add me if any of you are looking for someone to kill in Warhawk. I've gotta die before I can get better right?

:)
There's a rank difference with most of us, but if you see me look around. I'm [GAF]TheFrankman in-game.
Question: I game with a mic. If I hit L3 while speaking everyone on my team is suppose to be able to hear me right? If I die, both sides can here me while I'm respawning?
Push To Talk is the way to go. no to the 2nd question.

TheBear

Have the Aus servers for this game been turned off? Haven't been on for a while but last time I looked there weren't any local servers.

ssowinski

Picked this up today for the second time (played for a few weeks at launch 4 years ago) and am looking to play with familiar people from GAF.

PSN ID = sowinski

What is the best way to find fellow GAFfrs to play with? Look for "[GAF]" on the server list?

bigjimmystyle said:
Have the Aus servers for this game been turned off? Haven't been on for a while but last time I looked there weren't any local servers.
... they show up for me.
ssowinski said:
PSN ID = sowinski

What is the best way to find fellow GAFfrs to play with? Look for "[GAF]" on the server list?
Read the PSN's of people in this thread and buddy us. For reference, read this thread back from at least Page 300 for info/LOLZ.

Tntnnbltn

I've been thinking about Warhawk, and I've come to the realisation that I get APC driving. I mean I'm good at flying, good at ground, but I really hit my stride behind the wheels on an APC. So much of it is about strategy, map awareness, and knowing when o drop the shield.

If you drop the shield early and you are going to be completely defenseless for a period of time, especially if someone is already waiting with the charged lightning. Many attacks need to be avoided with charge boost instead.

You definitely need to be aware of the minimap. When I'm driving I am constantly switching between mini- and full-screen map view. You need to watch where the planes fly, and know from their flight path what weapons they were able to pick up. If they go into hover mode infront of you, you need to know if it's a TOW or a clusterbomb they are waiting to drop. You also need to spot when planes go into stealth, especially if they've been near the TOW area.

On the ground side of things, it's more about knowing when to boost and where to boost. APC vs APC may seem 50-50, but you can definitely outplay your opponent. I love playing defensive APC on some maps and boosting out flag carriers. Sometimes you'll come across another skilled APC driver though and that's where the fun starts. Once again, map awareness plays a lot into this. Watching when APC vehicles are picked up and knowing where abouts they'll be X amount of time later, listening for nearby boosts from other vehicles, knowing when someone is following you so you can get them with the brake spin + boost.

Also it's the only mode where the team colours will influence my strategy/playstyle. The red APC is simply superior. It has a slimmer body which means it is able to fit through smaller gaps that the blue APC can't, and do certain jumps which much higher success rate. If I spawn as red then I'll pick one of the forward APC-spawning bases, but if I play as blue then I will constantly try to steal their APCs. There are also implications for APC vs APC play if you've taken their home APC for yourself, especially on maps such as Destroyed Capitol with only 2 spawns. As soon as you have their APC you are at an advantage to regrab it though -- you know when it is going to respawn whereas they do not, so you can be in position to steal it again.

But yeah. APCs. So good.

ssowinski

Probably a dumb question, but why isn't there a GAF clan again?

Couldn't I just get a list of PSN ids from the last half dozen pages and send out invites? Anyone else that wants in PMs me to get added.

Enlighten me on what I'm missing please, because if it is this easy I'll do it this weekend.

Tntnnbltn

The Frankman said:
All theses year of playing and you just got this now Tntnnbltn? :p
It has been a moment of re-realisation since PSN came back.

But yeah, I'd go as far as to say that I'm one of the best APC drivers out there right now.

ssowinski said:
Probably a dumb question, but why isn't there a GAF clan again?

Couldn't I just get a list of PSN ids from the last half dozen pages and send out invites? Anyone else that wants in PMs me to get added.

Enlighten me on what I'm missing please, because if it is this easy I'll do it this weekend.
There is a GAF clan. Some idiot runs it.

Tntnnbltn said:
It has been a moment of re-realisation since PSN came back.

But yeah, I'd go as far as to say that I'm one of the best APC drivers out there right now.
rocko.jpg

ssowinski

Anilusion said:
Is Warhawk still active online? Is it worth buying? How much is it if you buy it from PSN?

For $5 at Best Buy, $8 (used) at EB Games, or $10 at Futureshop you can't go wrong if you like war games.

slider

elohel said:
reliable apc driver?

don't think so boss

Ahh, there's only one way to settle this of course.

Who was the (super cool) dude who could host a 24p server? I'd be all up in that business if it came around again.

slider said:
Ahh, there's only one way to settle this of course.

Who was the (super cool) dude who could host a 24p server? I'd be all up in that business if it came around again.
ummm... with my upgraded connection I can now host a 24 player server...

I'm guessing I should've mentioned this a few months ago.

slider

The Frankman said:
ummm... with my upgraded connection I can now host a 24 player server...

I'm guessing I should've mentioned this a few months ago.

Woohoo! Let's get something organised then... gather round folks.

EDIT: Also, I guess you're super cool now...

ssowinski

Tntnnbltn said:
Well I am.

Sent out an invite so I can be (hopefully) added to the GAF clan.

FYI to everyone whom I've sent friend requests to - I play either early mornings (6-8am), early afternoons (1-4pm) or evenings (8-11pm) about every other day. I don't have a headset and mute all just in case you're wondering why the hell I'm not doing what you told me.

So I just bought this because well..it cost me $7.41 lol.

Didn't get into the online gaming yet but I did the training on the ground, vehicle and air. Seems pretty easy to get the hang of, hopefully tomorrow when I jump in I'll enjoy it. Looking for a fun pick up and go MP game right now.

Square Triangle said:
So I just bought this because well..it cost me $7.41 lol.

Didn't get into the online gaming yet but I did the training on the ground, vehicle and air. Seems pretty easy to get the hang of, hopefully tomorrow when I jump in I'll enjoy it. Looking for a fun pick up and go MP game right now.
Watch YouTube vids on gameplay. It'll help.

I've been going through this thread, and it's convinced me to buy the game soon. Everyone can add me on PSN if you'd like. Just let me know you're from GAF. Looking forward to seeing everyone online!

PSN ID: SlLENTCAPYBARA
(second letter is a lowercase "L)

Baron

Just bought this on PSN for $9! I picked up Warhawk disc version in the box set with headset when I got my PS3 three years ago, played it a fair bit, but haven't touched it in 2 years or so. I thought having instant access to it on my hard disk would compel me to play it more often.

It's a great game, I just want to bump the thread and get the word out on how cheaply it can be had for now on PSN (this week on sale).

ssowinski

Baron said:
Just bought this on PSN for $9! I picked up Warhawk disc version in the box set with headset when I got my PS3 three years ago, played it a fair bit, but haven't touched it in 2 years or so. I thought having instant access to it on my hard disk would compel me to play it more often.

It's a great game, I just want to bump the thread and get the word out on how cheaply it can be had for now on PSN (this week on sale).

I am in the exact same situation that you are.

FYI - The map bundle (all 3 expansions) is only $4.99 through the in game store. Bought it today so I can play on more servers. Better than getting it for free with PS plus since you lose it if you unsubscribe, and i wasn't gonna pay more for it than the game itself on PSN.

AEREC

Baron said:

Cool...played a bunch when it came out, but haven't played in a year or two though. Is the game still heavily populated?

Playing this just makes me want Starhawk more.

I was a die hard Warhawk fan, but it's really absurd now. Last night I was in a match with eight enemies in the air, and any time I'd try to get up I'd get blown down. If I tried capturing territory I'd get a TOW to the face. Me and the only other dude trying to do sh*t on the team just quit the match.

They also need to implement (for Starhawk, it's too late for Warhawk) a penalty for switching teams. Nothing I love more than b*tches leaving one side to go to the winning side because they're playing for sh*t on this team.

But yeah, Starhawk seems to have interesting game balances on paper (ignoring communal energy BS).

^ Yeah, it takes a while to get back into the swing of things. I am hoping, like you, that Starhawk has more of the mod cons. Matchmaking, party system, you know, the regular stuff...

DireStr8s

i thought i'd pick it up 'full time' again in anticipation of starhawk, but i can't stomach my fall from grace. so jelly of the skill level the current crop of players seem to possess.

Micromegas said:
^ Yeah, it takes a while to get back into the swing of things. I am hoping, like you, that Starhawk has more of the mod cons. Matchmaking, party system, you know, the regular stuff...

Yeah. It will be nice if they give us the option to limit vehicle types on map layouts.

I absolutely cannot stand Warhawks on small map layouts. Basically those situations where it's one warhawk per team but the opposing team gets both of them and then molests the ground forces.

Though the Starhawk is going to change even that. No more hover bullshit. I actually want the transformation to take a bit of time so that it's a strategy choice for the pilot and so that ground troops can punish them.

Had some good matches. Had some bad. Ran into a team where folks worked together good fun.

I really hope they don't screw up Starhawk game balance and I hope everything that needs to be patched gets patched in a timely fashion and we don't get legacy stupid stuff like the waggle control lock-on bug.

The ability to spawn more easily with the map screen in Starhawk should also alleviate some of the stupid damned Closed Corridor spawn crap.

Unicorn

nickslicl said:
i thought i'd pick it up 'full time' again in anticipation of starhawk, but i can't stomach my fall from grace. so jelly of the skill level the current crop of players seem to possess.
And for people like me, I can't even see a glimpse of that glory. I play and just get raped. Near impossible for me to learn anything without some friend or someone to take me in as an apprentice.

Unicorn said:
And for people like me, I can't even see a glimpse of that glory. I play and just get raped. Near impossible for me to learn anything without some friend or someone to take me in as an apprentice.

Well since all that's really being played now is Team Deathmatch, Zones, and Capture the Flag here's what you need to know:

In all of these modes there are usually control points on the map. If you pause the game and bring up the map you will see them. You want to capture these for your team in all modes. The team that controls the map controls the flow of the game.

This is so important it's not funny. This has to be the golden rule of Warhawk games.

Actually, DON'T WORRY ABOUT YOUR KDR! Should be the Golden Rule. KDR means nothing in a team game. I have a habit of having a low KDR but finishing in the top five in games because I'm capturing and defending spawn points.

It's absolutely imperative on large maps. If you lose control of the map, you're going to get raped. If you control a bridge, or middle section of the stage, you can spawn closer to where your flag is being moved and intercept. If not, you're going to be in your base getting bulldogged by Warhawks and griefers.

Listen for beeping when you move around. It's a mine. Check the color. If it's not yours blow it the hell up. Griefers love to mine up your base and vehicles for free kills.

Grenades move faster than you do. If a jeep drives in to grab your flag, grenades! Grenades! Grenades! Like I said, they move faster than you do and deal more direct damage. I see too many flags escape because my ineffective team mates insist on shooting people in vehicles with guns. Unless it's on top of you - GRENADE!

Don't get in the air if you're the only person on your team in the air. If you're new at the game it's just instant death.

If you're not getting in the air, be a team player and shoot down enemy air mines. Help your team in the air by clearing out threats. You can destroy air mines with the pistol, machine gun, or sniper rifle. Though the pistol is only good at close range and is only an option if you cannot get to another weapon before you're killed again.

That's just a primer because I can info dump for a while here.

They need to have one flight control and cut out the BS backwards flying missile lock. I don't care what the devs said, it's a glitch and it fucks up Air Combat.

The Frankman said:
They need to have one flight control and cut out the BS backwards flying missile lock. I don't care what the devs said, it's a glitch and it fucks up Air Combat.

I'm inclined to agree.

Unfortunately I fear we'll still have two control methods thanks to lazy asses who don't want to learn to play.

If you need to flip and flop like a fish in the air, then you shouldn't be able to shoot. Simple as that. What n00bs need to learn is how to not get blown the hell up.

I think I'll play a few matches now.

The Take Out Bandit said:
I'm inclined to agree.

Unfortunately I fear we'll still have two control methods thanks to lazy asses who don't want to learn to play.

If you need to flip and flop like a fish in the air, then you shouldn't be able to shoot. Simple as that. What n00bs need to learn is how to not get blown the hell up.

I think I'll play a few matches now.
I think I will join you.

Top Bottom