• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Orochi 3 |OT| The second-worst game featuring Ryu Hayabusa out this week

My wife was watching me play this last night and I said aloud to one of my characters, "That's damn right my prowess is undeniable!" I got a long, hard stare from the wife. I guess it's not surprising that I gave my wife the douche chills, considering the source.

Game is a blast. I can't wait to get off tonight and play some more.

That last sentence sounds horrific.

Edit: I always thought the PS3 was the lead platform for modern Musou titles. Not saying that the lead has more of a chance to run better, but I was always under the impression that this was the case.

MoxManiac

Fromt he videos I have watched they look absolutely identical. They might be slightly different like DW7 though. Digital Foundry made a good analysis of that game: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox360-vs-ps3-round-30-face-off?page=4

Personally I would prefer a frame rate that does not jump from 60 to 30 all the time like on PS3. I played DW7 on PS3 and I thought the constant frame rate jumps were pretty jarring and it's not like the game was able to hold 60fps for more than a few second anyway.

That's what i figured. I imagine this game is too niche for a head to head comparison to be done. I don't think WO3 is too graphically demanding so it should hopefully be identical.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, I'm going to be playing this game for MONTHS. Even with the leveling and proficiency stuff streamlined from WO2, there's still just a ridiculous amount of stuff to do.

Also, dammit, I've played for like 20 hours and still no sign of Nobunaga.

question: Is there a resource available for the whole weapon customization system that I can look into? I'm still at work, but I don't think the PSN version comes with an instruction manual, and even then the manuals in DW games are usually pretty vague and only show a few example items/abilities and how it works. Something comprehensive would be good.

I just bought the game on PS3. I haven't played a DW game heavily since DW3. I did dabble a little in WO2 but only a little and liked what I played. I am hoping this game is as good as DW3 was. The map editor sounds very fun. I hope I don't get overwhelmed with the massive amount of stuff to do in this game.

Marvie_3

Banned
Man, I'm going to be playing this game for MONTHS. Even with the leveling and proficiency stuff streamlined from WO2, there's still just a ridiculous amount of stuff to do.

Also, dammit, I've played for like 20 hours and still no sign of Nobunaga.

How did they change it? It was a pain in the ass in WO2.

How did they change it? It was a pain in the ass in WO2.

I have noticed that you gain more exp now. Finished a stage and I noticed that my characters are pretty high level compared to what would have been in WO2. I do think that there are items that speed up gaining proficiency too.

Marvie_3

Banned
I have noticed that you gain more exp now. Finished a stage and I noticed that my characters are pretty high level compared to what would have been in WO2. I do think that there are items that speed up gaining proficiency too.

Sweet. It took forever to level up characters in WO2.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I never saw anything wrong with her. Cat motif and everything. Then again, she didn't do anything in DW7, so it's not like I really had to deal with her.

Well, she chased after Guan Suo a lot...that's something, I guess.

This is also my first time playing as Cai Wenji, and HOLY SHIT DAT HARP. I definitely didn't expect her to be this badass. Seriously, of all the ridiculous musical instrument-wielding characters in Musou games, she's probably the best. She's got range, power, speed...I really can't think of any drawbacks to using her.

And Nezha, hahaha what the fuck. He's a goddamn cyborg. Even has a scouter and everything.

ironcreed

Banned
Any other Trinity fans wish we would have got Areus or Selene? Still, I am looking forward to playing with Nemea. I am sure he will make a great addition.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Once I max out someone's prof, I try to switch them for someone else, but it feels like, even with grown points, i'm getting my ass kicked if i don't use some of my higher guys.

Hojo looks like a boss, but I'm not really enjoying playing him.
Achilles is fucking awesome

Any other Trinity fans wish we would have got Areus or Selene? Still, I am looking forward to playing with Nemea. I am sure he will make a great addition.
I imagine they didn't do Areus because they've already got a billion sword weilders. I was hoping for Gitarooman. I guess I'll have to settle on Motochika

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Selene would have been cool, but there's way too many dual-dagger wielding characters as it is. Not to say there aren't too many spear users too. :lol At least the way Nemea uses his spear is fairly different from any of the other spear users, basically using it as a javelin. Areus would have had a lot of potential with all of his spells and stuff though, yeah.

Well, she chased after Guan Suo a lot...that's something, I guess.

This is also my first time playing as Cai Wenji, and HOLY SHIT DAT HARP. I definitely didn't expect her to be this badass. Seriously, of all the ridiculous musical instrument-wielding characters in Musou games, she's probably the best. She's got range, power, speed...I really can't think of any drawbacks to using her.

And Nezha, hahaha what the fuck. He's a goddamn cyborg. Even has a scouter and everything.

Well she had no role in the story mode of DW7 so I really didn't care for her. Didn't like her yo-yo weapon though.

Harp is ok, but I still like the flute with Zhen Ji more.

ironcreed

Banned
Selene would have been cool, but there's way too many dual-dagger wielding characters as it is. Not to say there aren't too many spear users too. :lol At least the way Nemea uses his spear is fairly different from any of the other spear users, basically using it as a javelin. Areus would have had a lot of potential with all of his spells and stuff though, yeah.

I hear you. It was not a complaint either, I just love Trinity. The fact that we even have Nemea is quite cool in and of itself. Can't wait to unlock him.

Xander51

Hilarious thread title. This came out at a busy time for me, but I'll definitely pick it up in the future. I'm still trying to get through Dynasty Warriors NEXT.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I swear, the best thing to come out of all the changes made to the DW characters in DW7 was Sun Shang Xiang's new Musou. I never get tired of stomping fools' faces in. :D

Also, raising Bonds isn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be. Between Missions and tea parties/banquets, you can get them up pretty fast.

I swear, the best thing to come out of all the changes made to the DW characters in DW7 was Sun Shang Xiang's new Musou. I never get tired of stomping fools' faces in. :D

Also, raising Bonds isn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be. Between Missions and tea parties/banquets, you can get them up pretty fast.

this is great to hear. raising bonds felt like such a pointless grind in DW7 that I hardly bothered at all.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
this is great to hear. raising bonds felt like such a pointless grind in DW7 that I hardly bothered at all.

Now, I'm not saying that I've maxed any out yet or anything. But like, I had to raise Bonds between Goemon and Hideyoshi to Lv. 1 to unlock a stage, and it didn't take all that long to do. Maybe an hour? But once you get a lot of money, I'm sure you could just host a ton of banquets over and over to raise one character's Bonds with everyone up to max. Would cost a lot of money to do so, though.

Make no mistake though, raising Bonds is definitely the most time-consuming thing in the game.

Quick question: are you forced to use certain characters too often? Like does the story dictate what characters you play as or limit you to a very small portion, or can you mostly go through whatever you want with whoever you have unlocked?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Quick question: are you forced to use certain characters too often? Like does the story dictate what characters you play as or limit you to a very small portion, or can you mostly go through whatever you want with whoever you have unlocked?

That.

There are "recommended" characters for every stage, but nothing forcing you to use them, and you don't miss out on anything (important) if you don't.

MoxManiac

So OT for a minute. Is trinity o'zill worth checking out? Did it get bad reviews because of the typical anti-koei bias?

ironcreed

Banned
So OT for a minute. Is trinity o'zill worth checking out? Did it get bad reviews because of the typical anti-koei bias?

Take a bit of Dynasty Warriors, add in some Monster Hunter like encounters, an interesting story, some action RPG elements in terms of leveling up and gaining abilities with three very fun and very different characters you play with and switch between on the fly for the majority of the game and you have Trinity. Enough side quests, arena fights and monster hunts to make your head spin as well.

Only downside (maybe for some) is a lot of text conversations and cities, shops, etc are nothing more than (very pretty) still screens with menus. Adds a bit of old school charm, though. It's really a great, content packed gem. Give it a whirl.

Bebpo

Banned
Ended up jumping in on this, it just looks so fun and I've never played a WO before. How early in do you unlock Jeanne D'Arc?

MoxManiac

Thanks. I just bid on a copy of Trinity on ebay. GAF is bad for my backlog.

...and on topic, i'm uh...waiting for the 27th for my copy of WO3 to ship. :/

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Thanks. I just bid on a copy of Trinity on ebay. GAF is bad for my backlog.

...and on topic, i'm uh...waiting for the 27th for my copy of WO3 to ship. :/

Glad you decided to join the Trinity party. It's a great game. :D

On topic, finally got Nene last night. Yaaaaaay! :D She's always a near-permanent fixture on my teams. I actually like Kunoichi's new character design more, but Nene's got the far better move set.

Also, with Ayane in the game, I can totally make Team Awesome Ninja Chicks. :D

Can't wait to sit down and place this game.

WO3.png

Managed to contact the PR that was working with the North American version of the game after the help of my friend Chin and let's just say that I managed to get a review code. I was extremely worried that I wouldn't be able to get a copy. I'm really going to enjoy reviewing this game, I've always loved the Warriors series and Orochi is no exception.

Top Bottom