• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was I scammed on a PS4 off marketplace?

Maddux4164

Banned
Bought one locally, very cheap. $60. They wanted $80.

I’ve used marketplace for a decade. Buying and selling. Always had good luck and can usually spot the scams

This PS4 turns on. Blue lights. White. Orange. All kinda taking turns

The system is ABSOLUTELY silent. No HDD spins up. Can’t hear fans. Nothing.

They swear it works

It’s extremely dirty, but whatever.

Maddux4164

Banned
If it was that cheap that means something wrong with it.
Def can be. But I’m picky on who I choose to bite on. Clearly could’ve been taken and likely so. Sometimes people need FAST cash immediately to pay a water bill or something. Get food. Anything

But, just wondering if I’m doing something wrong lol

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Def can be. But I’m picky on who I choose to bite on. Clearly could’ve been taken and likely so. Sometimes people need FAST cash immediately to pay a water bill or something. Get food. Anything

But, just wondering if I’m doing something wrong lol
I personally never trust buying most electronics second hand, either they dont work at all or when they do work they are near death.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Speaking with them now

I’m showing proof it’s not working and giving two options

Get reported and outed
Or give me my money back

Either one
Hells yeah brother. Mods should help with the outcome. Not to the point of intervening with money, but calling the fucker out and banning them, ip and all.

Maddux4164

Banned
Hells yeah brother. Mods should help with the outcome. Not to the point of intervening with money, but calling the fucker out and banning them, ip and all.
Maybe I should be more clear

It’s Facebook Marketplace and a local deal hahah. I’d trust many Gaf’ers frankly.

Maddux4164

Banned
I’m just extremely upset and disappointed

My life has kinda been crap lately

House burned. Lost everything. Had to take care of my mom because my dad abandoned her. Paid $5000 for a divorce lawyer.

The whole deal.

Wanted a little cheap system. Could be Xbox or PS4. I’m a digital buyer. So I’ve got many many games I can Redownload

Same with Steam, got 500+ games

Thank GOD for digital in this case frankly

lordrand11

I’m just extremely upset and disappointed

My life has kinda been crap lately

House burned. Lost everything. Had to take care of my mom because my dad abandoned her. Paid $5000 for a divorce lawyer.

The whole deal.

Wanted a little cheap system. Could be Xbox or PS4. I’m a digital buyer. So I’ve got many many games I can Redownload

Same with Steam, got 500+ games

Thank GOD for digital in this case frankly
Personally it depends on the problem, if it's solderable, I'd take it on myself to fix as I like doing that kind of thing. Or even parts replacement. You may still be out less than buying new or used elsewhere.

Maddux4164

Banned
Just needed an escape on a cheap decade old system until my mother gets her disability approved and all

Shes 62. Poor health. Had to move her in with me. Paying for all her medicines, 3 meals a day, new clothes and everything that goes with supporting another human being

Cash is hard to come by for me these days due to all that. Felt a cheap little system would be fine for now

Maddux4164

Banned
Personally it depends on the problem, if it's solderable, I'd take it on myself to fix as I like doing that kind of thing. Or even parts replacement. You may still be out less than buying new or used elsewhere.
Any idea what you think the issue is? I’ve got a video. But it’s basically just a DEAD SILENT PS4 with lights.

There is some type of hot air coming out. But can’t hear a fan. Maybe it’s in low mode? ABSOLUTELY no hard drive noises

Sleepwalker

Blue light, then white, then blue again (not sure why it goes to orange but I digress) usually means the console has failed to verify the HDD, this is also why you aren't hearing noises.

If you want to troubleshoot it, replacing the HDD is where I would start.

But first open it up and give it a good cleaning, also on the HDD slot. Swap the HDMI cable just in case.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Banned
Blue light, then white, then blue again (not sure why it goes to orange but I digress) usually means the console has failed to verify the HDD, this is also why you aren't hearing noises.

If you want to troubleshoot it, replacing the HDD is where I would start.

But first open it up and give it a good cleaning, also on the HDD slot. Swap the HDMI cable just in case.
Absolutely swapped cables. 3.

But no access to a new HDD? Can I buy one for REALLY cheap? It’ll have the PS BIOS on it? Not sure how that works

Maddux4164

Banned
Frankly not sure I can really invest into this. I buy one and it still doesn’t work. I’m out MORE money. Which now days is a luxury to have (money)

FeralEcho

That sucks,hopefully you find the fucker and get your money back.

At least try to open it up and see what's the issue.

Did you try setting it in safe mode as you turn it on?

Hold the power on button till you hear a second beep,see if it enters safe mode.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Banned
That sucks,hopefully you find the fucker and get your money back.

At least try to open it up and see what's the issue.

Did you try setting it in safe mode as you turn it on?

Hold the power on button till you hear 2 beeps,see if it enters safe mode.
Problem is. There’s no BEEPS.

Ever. Why would that be? Had a PS4 for many years. Always had the “beep”

FeralEcho

Problem is. There’s no BEEPS.

Ever. Why would that be? Had a PS4 for many years. Always had the “beep”
That's very odd...I don't get how the lights turn on if that's the case.

Try to get it open,clean it and check If its missing any parts.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Update

A HDD does exist
Two dead bugs are guarding it to keep it safe

Parks And Recreation Reaction GIF

Maddux4164

Banned
1. Immediate red flag that a PS4 is being sold for $60, even heavily used. The console is old, but not $60 old.

2. If you bought it locally, you should have asked them to plug it in and turn it on before handing them the cash.
Hard to plug it in, in a parking lot.

They had photos. But… obviously could’ve used a working PS4

One photo was this dead PS4 with lights
A separate photo was “some” PS4 on tv working

Can’t see both together

Also it didn’t come with a power cable. I asked why; the power chord they have is for her “dad”.

That should’ve been my out. But bought one at GameStop for $10. Thought no biggie.

They wanted $100. Lowered it to $80 after a couple days. Offered $60 and she said “ok. I will But because it needs a power cable”

Sleepwalker

Hard to plug it in, in a parking lot.

They had photos. But… obviously could’ve used a working PS4

One photo was this dead PS4 with lights
A separate photo was “some” PS4 on tv working

Can’t see both together

Also it didn’t come with a power cable. I asked why; the power chord they have is for her “dad”.

That should’ve been my out. But bought one at GameStop for $10. Thought no biggie.

They wanted $100. Lowered it to $80 after a couple days. Offered $60 and she said “ok. I will But because it needs a power cable”

Sounds to me like you sadly got scammed. If there are dead bugs in that PS4 I would bag it up and take it out of your room. Disassemble it somewhere else where it won't cause an infestation as there could be live bugs.

Give it a good cleaning and try again. You could connect the HDD to a PC and see if it works.

As for your bios question, the PS4 would format the drive so it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Banned
Sounds to me like you sadly got scammed. If there are dead bugs in that PS4 I would bag it up and take it out of your room. Disassemble it somewhere else where it won't cause an infestation as there could be live bugs.

Give it a good cleaning and try again. You could connect the HDD to a PC and see if it works.

As for your bios question, the PS4 would format the drive so it doesn't really matter.
Now that means I need to buy compressed air eh?

Also, have 0 ability to solder anything or do any real work. I’m knowledgeable enough to put a PC together and such. But that’s where it ends for me.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Only things I ever bought off resellers are a glass table top for $20, an Ikea table leg set (to go with the table top) for I think $40, and oddly I was hankering for old DVDs which were impossible to find (out of print), but I found someone moving out selling seasons of Kenny vs Spenny for $5 each.

I'd never buy anything real technical like a TV, PC, game system etc... too high a chance it'll be borked.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Now that means I need to buy compressed air eh?

Also, have 0 ability to solder anything or do any real work. I’m knowledgeable enough to put a PC together and such. But that’s where it ends for me.
No, you won't need to solder anything unless the HDMI doesn't work or there's a faulty component on the board, I don't think that's the case.

You don't need compressed air, just rubbing alcohol, qtips and a lot of patience. You WILL need to take the console apart and clean it carefully. Compressed air won't remove dead (or live) bugs + any other grime or debris.

Any sata 2.5 inch HDD 5400rpm would work with a PS4, they are not really that expensive nowadays.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Banned
Only things I ever bought off resellers are a glass table top for $20, an Ikea table leg set (to go with the table top) for I think $40, and oddly I was hankering for old DVDs which were impossible to find (out of print), but I found someone moving out selling seasons of Kenny vs Spenny for $5 each.

I'd never buy anything real technical like a TV, PC, game system etc... too high a chance it'll be borked.
I’ve had good luck honestly. Bought TV’s and phones etc

But I guess I got too relaxed. I do live in a relatively crime free rural town in Alabama. Country folks. We’re all “usually” honest and trustworthy. But ya know. It’s MY luck this would happen

Maddux4164

Banned
No, you won't need to solder anything unless the HDMI doesn't work or there's a faulty component on the board, I don't think that's the case.

You don't need compressed air, just rubbing alcohol, qtips and a lot of patience. You WILL need to take the console apart and clean it carefully. Compressed air won't remove dead (or live) bugs + any other grime or debris.

Any sata 2.5 inch HDD would work with a PS4, they are not really that expensive nowadays.
Have neither. So I need some isopropyl alcohol and such

Man: see, not REALLY wanted to do all that. Especially if it turns out it’s simply a fried mobo or something

I just wanted it to work. WORK

Sleepwalker

Have neither. So I need some isopropyl alcohol and such

Man: see, not REALLY wanted to do all that. Especially if it turns out it’s simply a fried mobo or something

I just wanted it to work. WORK
I understand man, it is frustrating for sure.

But this is the hand you've been dealt and if you can't get the money back its better to try and make a shitty situation a little less shitty. I would offer to help repair it for free but I'm all the way up in Canada lol

Maddux4164

Banned
Imagine I go buy

The rubbing alcohol, a new HDD, take all this time and money that’s… not easy to spare these days, as explained above

All for it to be for nothing and it’s fried

That’s even FAR worse than cutting my losses already

Maddux4164

Banned
I understand man, it is frustrating for sure.

But this is the hand you've been dealt and if you can't get the money back its better to try and make a shitty situation a little less shitty. I would offer to help repair it for free but I'm all the way up in Canada lol
I’ll send It to ya 😎 shit right now can’t afford the shipping 😅😅😂🤣🤣🤣

Money is super tight. But this was some spare money I felt would bring me some happiness is all

NinjaBoiX

“I can usually spot scams.”

“Sounds very cheap OP…”

“But I’m picky who I buy from.”

“Does it work?”

“No.”

🤔

Maddux4164

Banned
“I can usually spot scams.”

“Sounds very cheap OP…”

“But I’m picky who I buy from.”

“Does it work?”

“No.”

🤔
I’m a clown. It’s ok to say. Sorry. Just trusted my fellow local people and was hard up to escape and play a few games.

😞

Sleepwalker

Imagine I go buy

The rubbing alcohol, a new HDD, take all this time and money that’s… not easy to spare these days, as explained above

All for it to be for nothing and it’s fried

That’s even FAR worse than cutting my losses already

I went to check amazon real quick and you can get a compatible HDD for as low as $14, I truly do hope your situation gets better.

I dont think the board is fried, but you really wont be able to tell until you clean it all up. Hell maybe the old hdd will work after that.

Maddux4164

Banned

Any sata 2.5 inch HDD 5400rpm would work with a PS4, they are not really that expensive nowadays.
Question. If I did get some new HDD

How would that help the fact there’s no video signal? Surely that can’t be normal regardless if the drive is dead or not?

Top Bottom