• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

dionysus

Yaldog
Any BG2 or PST would be a spiritual successor only, licensing through Kickstarter funding seems unlikeley. Especially since Atari still has D&D locked down I believe.

Souplak

It just passed $ 250 000. I wasnt there for the start of the double fine kickstarter project, how much did that one get in its first 24 hours?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i would be in a blissful state of shock if Wasteland 2 beats the DFKS in dollars for the first 24 hours. i know it wont happen because i dont deserve to feel that good.

Souplak

Ok so it might not make as much as the DFKS, I REALLY hope it gets more than 900 k... I like double fine and I pledged money for their project but I want this game so much more

Xater

p8Ll4.png

Now I am debating if I should upgrade to 65 bucks...

Famassu

At 7:45PM (local time where I live), it was at 175k. Now, 2,5 hours later, it's at 255k. That's 80k in 2,5 hours. That's pretty good, especially if the pace holds up for at least a day or two.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Brian Fargo.. you have to make a god damned decently sized quest chain where you have to reference the manual to progress like how you had to with the original games copy protection!

dionysus

Yaldog
From the update to the kickstarter page:

"I’m personally a big fan of the Wasteland series from having played the original game in the late 80s; I’ve also always admired Brian Fargo’s courage to experiment with new designs and game engines from my time working with him in the early days of BioWare when we worked with Interplay, and as a result I’m really looking forward to seeing the next game in the Wasteland series!" - Ray Muzyka - CEO Bioware

"Hats off to Fargo and inXile, I'm definitely putting my money down when they start up their Kickstarter fund, and I'll donate just as much as I did to Double Fine. Give me Wasteland 2 already." - Chris Avellone - RPG designer extraordinaire

"Brian was one of the pioneers for the computer RPG with games like Bard's Tale and Wasteland. I would be very excited to see what Brian could achieve with a sequel to such a classic like the first Wasteland." - Rob Pardo - Executive Vice President of Game Design, Blizzard Entertainment

"WASTELAND is the game that made me a gamer. It's still my favourite game of all time, simply because of how influential and mind-blowing it was at the time." - Rock Paper Shotgun reader Zerosociety

"Shut up and take my money!" - Eurogamer reader Arcam (amongst many others)

I love the quotes from forum users along side luminaries from RPG development.

Perkel

Banned
Pledged 65$ i want that big box ! Also i would double dip for gog copy.

Also you should all see official google moderator ideas most of them are awasome. This VA thing from interview from RPS is from it.

Damn i'm so jelly and rainbows now...

erragal

I have no defense. Senior moment I guess.

No worries! Wasn't meant to be critical was just genuinely curious if it was something they changed! Thought it was interesting because Fargo had tweeted earlier in the week how some friends at big publishers wouldn't say any public support; curious as to who those people were considering Muzyka and Pardo both seemingly gave permission to use their name in a quote.

Sentenza

I don't agree with that, I think fallout 3 and New Vegas are just as good as Fallout 1 and 2, I enjoy them all pretty much equally.
Well, you're WRONG.

Seems like it's going to happen, by the way.
I'm hyped. Now let's wait for Avellone's move.

bengraven

Fuck me, old PC RPGs had the BEST covers ever, no question about it.

I really really really wish my family had been wealthy enough to own a PC and I had been more into RPGs when I was a little kid. :(

Sentenza

Dude, it's only been half a day.

Also, this project is a bit more obscure and has a less charming frontman.
Yeah, especially the latter.
Tim Schafer is a way more popular figure than Fargo these days, and Double Fine has a way more solid track of excellent productions in the recent years.

I'm actually quite surprised by how well this Wasteland 2 is doing.

Crossed 300K...simply phenomenal

And BTW it seems they are only around 100K behind Double Fine Adventure in the same timeframe

That's pretty good!!

zkylon

zkylewd
300k already...I'm happy at the internetz today. I wonder if the DF final countdown is helping boost people's awareness of Kickstarter and Wasteland 2's existence.

Sentenza

As far as I feel sorry for the poor guy, I can't help but appreciate the subtle irony in a first person shooter struggling to get any attention when a classic adventure and a turn based RPG are racking money.

It's essentially the very opposite of the scenario publishers keep imposing to us.

Fjordson

A Tim Schafer project made more than 1 million in 24hs and Wasteland 2 is still at 282k? Humanity sucks.
As apathetic as I am towards Double Fine as a developer, that doesn't really surprise me. People love Tim Schaefer.

Glad to see this has already picked up a nice chunk of change. Optimism rising.

Minecraft guy

Epic games guy is the 5k one

Wow big respect to them both!!

As apathetic as I am towards Double Fine as a developer, that doesn't really surprise me. People love Tim Schaefer.

Glad to see this has already picked up a nice chunk of change. Optimism rising.

Well in 8 hours Double Fine Adventure made 400K

This has made 300K in 8 hours

So ye know it's not that far behind...

A Tim Schafer project made more than 1 million in 24hs and Wasteland 2 is still at 282k? Humanity sucks.

Personally I don't know anything about Wasteland. But there's still RPGs coming out. Are they the kind of Baldur's-Gate-y RPGs of yore? No, not since Bioware sucked the soul of the Dragon Age franchise, but there's one from from time to time.

But there's a few genres that are almost completely dead. Point-n-click adventure gaming is one of them. It's even more rare than a quality turn based strategy game any more. I think that's why there is a different level of enthusiasm for the Double Fine game.

zkylon

zkylewd
As far as I feel sorry for the poor guy, I can't help but appreciate the subtle irony in a first person shooterstruggling to get any attention when a classic adventure and a turn based RPG are racking money.

It's essentially the very opposite of the scenario publishers keep imposing to us.
Yeah, I also feel bad for the guy, but I was turned off by his gun nut attitude. Let's concentrate on the awesome, Wasteland is a one third real!

tim schaefer is 1990s+2000. He has an active studio making games and a shit load of twitter followers

brian literally just started campaigning and also recently started his twitter account.

DaBuddaDa

But there's a few genres that are almost completely dead. Point-n-click adventure gaming is one of them. It's even more rare than a quality turn based strategy game any more. I think that's why there is a different level of enthusiasm for the Double Fine game.

This is complete hogwash. There are literally dozens upon dozens of graphic adventure games being released yearly nowadays. "Adventure games are dead" is a meme from around a decade ago. I think it's more accurate to say "Point-n-click adventure games made by Tim Schafer are dead."

Top Bottom