• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ok! Backed at $100.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

jett

D-Member
it's really quite amazing that this project is also getting funded so quickly. I wouldn't have figured people wanted a Wasteland 2 that much.

DaBuddaDa

it's really quite amazing that this project is also getting funded so quickly. I wouldn't have figured people wanted a Wasteland 2 that much.

Echoed in this thread, it's also a message being sent that this style of CRPG can still be viable today. Lots of people donating never even heard of Wasteland before yesterday.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

It's not that I ever gave a damn about Wasteland 2 ever existing, it's more like:

-I want to support the budding kickstarter initiative and take a dump on homogeneous focus-tested AAA game development.

-I love hardcore nonlinear isometric party-based crpgs.

-Brian Fargo seems passionate about it and he's assembling an intriguing team. What games get a sequel with most of the original developers 20+ years later, with the intention of staying true to the original and not having to cater to the lowest common denominator or what's currently trendy? Crazy, unique circumstances. It's exciting.

Damn, I've been hoping for something along the lines of Fallout 1 and 2 for years now. This will be my first kickstarter contribution. Just have to figure out how much I want to give.

duckroll

It's not that I ever gave a damn about Wasteland 2 ever existing, it's more like:

-I want to support the budding kickstarter initiative and take a dump on homogeneous focus-tested AAA game development.

-I love hardcore nonlinear isometric party-based crpgs.

-Brian Fargo seems passionate about it and he's assembling an intriguing team. What games get a sequel with most of the original developers 20+ years later, with the intention of staying true to the original and not having to cater to the lowest common denominator or what's currently trendy? Crazy, unique circumstances. It's exciting.

To be fair, I think all of those points do fall under people wanting a "Wasteland 2" pretty badly. It might not have to be Wasteland 2 specifically, but that's the biggest IP which Fargo has available to him out of everything he worked on in his Interplay days, so that's what is being used.

Also, honestly, Wasteland is pretty damn rad, let's not kid ourselves. :D

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
There are still no backers for the $2500 tier. Is there truly so little love for collectible exploded blood sausage figurines?

There are still no backers for the $2500 tier. Is there truly so little love for collectible exploded blood sausage figurines?

They should at least show a sketch/artwork of it, 'cause with that name it doesn't sound exactly like something you may be willing to buy for $2500. (Yes, I know it's from WL, but... yeuch).

Sentenza

People need to, meanwhile, check out Jeff Vogel of Spiderweb Software. While classic CRPGs disappeared from the market a decade ago, this guy has never stopped cranking them out going on two decades now.
He also barely made any effort to improve his offering over the years (and yes, I'm mostly talking about the production value), which is what turned me from a fan of his first works to a bored, disappointed ex-customer.

MoxManiac

I never played Wasteland (I was 6 when it came out) but I absolutely love this type of game so i am totally down for this. Gonna pledge at least 15.

Looks like it will hit 900k before i go to bed, too.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I never played Wasteland (I was 6 when it came out) but I absolutely love this type of game so i am totally down for this. Gonna pledge at least 15.

Looks like it will hit 900k before i go to bed, too.

It has picked up rapid speed in the last 2 hours for some reason. SOMEONE DID SOMETHING

Oh, 2 people donated 10k each in last 2 hours

duckroll

So, the $10,000 tiers are sold out now, and it looks like they'll be running out of $1,000 tier and $5,000 tier rewards as well. No one wants the $2,500 tier, confirmed. Lololol.

willooi

On the flipside, if just one person ends up grabbing the $2500 option right at the death, that unique blood sausage is gonna be a helluva collectible, albeit slightly inappropriate-looking, item

P.S: Don't think I've ever refreshed a single webpage so often in my entire life, not even for minute-by-minute sport score updates. And almost each and every time, without fail, the total goes up by a 1000 or so.

$45k to go! I can't believe it's reaching the goal. At first I thought $900k would be too much for a title as old as Wasteland and for a developer with the track record of inXile.

Now, of course, the pressure is on for Fargo and inXile to produce something special over the next year and a half. My real worry isn't design by committee (I think Fargo's been talking up the fan-input a little too much) rather that since it's a labour of love they'll obsess over the small details and lose sight of their original target. Worst case scenario being that the October 2013 deadline isn't met, and we end up with another vaporware/Van Buren.

~Kinggi~

Banned
$45k to go! I can't believe it's reaching the goal. At first I thought $900k would be too much for a title as old as Wasteland and for a developer with the track record of inXile.

Now, of course, the pressure is on for Fargo and inXile to produce something special over the next year and a half. My real worry isn't design by committee (I think Fargo's been talking up the fan-input a little too much) rather that since it's a labour of love they'll obsess over the small details and lose sight of their original target. Worst case scenario being that the October 2013 deadline isn't met, and we end up with another vaporware/Van Buren.

The kickstart trend wont fully be cemented until over a year from now when we actually get to experience the results. Games might get delayed, they might be canceled, they might suck. All of which would really get people having 2nd thoughts on the idea of paying up front instead doing the wait and see.

duckroll

On the flipside, if just one person ends up grabbing the $2500 option right at the death, that unique blood sausage is gonna be a helluva collectible, albeit slightly inappropriate-looking, item

P.S: Don't think I've ever refreshed a single webpage so often in my entire life, not even for minute-by-minute sport score updates. And almost each and every time, without fail, the total goes up by a 1000 or so.

The $10,000 backers and $5,000 backers get the Blood Sausage too though. So at best if only one person puts in $2,500 at the last moment, he'll probably have paid the lowest price for that collectible, but I bet he would rather have had a statue in his honor along with that. Lol.

their forums are becoming a disgrace, already the biodrones are infesting it asking for their shitty romances and marriages. This single candle in the wind is already threatened to be snuffed out by the inky darkness.

A call to arms for hardcore dicerollers.

ParityBit

I had no doubt about the 900k. The individuals who played Wasteland (like myself) grew up on that game and bards tale. Most probably have stable incomes and all want to forget turning the game into a FPS. Yes, we are putting our money to change that!

Scorpitron will live again! Ace will bring him down! *shakes fist*

duckroll

their forums are becoming a disgrace, already the biodrones are infesting it asking for their shitty romances and marriages. This single candle in the wind is already threatened to be snuffed out by the inky darkness.

I don't quite understand their forums. Why are they even public? Shouldn't it be private like the Double Fine Adventure forum (which aren't up yet), and restricted to Backers only? How do they know that the people posting there now are even backing the project?

~Kinggi~

Banned
I don't quite understand their forums. Why are they even public? Shouldn't it be private like the Double Fine Adventure forum (which aren't up yet), and restricted to Backers only? How do they know that the people posting there now are even backing the project?

Honestly the whole thing should be restricted to backers only, and POLLS only. They decide the hot topics and then make decisions based on poll winners if they were to make decisions. That allows them to keep things in their control.

duckroll

Honestly the whole thing should be restricted to backers only, and POLLS only. They decide the hot topics and then make decisions based on poll winners if they were to make decisions. That allows them to keep things in their control.

Well, what I hope is, that is the actual intention later on, and right now their general forums are public just to drum up interest and hype. Hopefully...

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Well, what I hope is, that is the actual intention later on, and right now their general forums are public just to drum up interest and hype. Hopefully...

This would certainly be the most logical deduction. Perhaps the real 'brainstorming' will occur after the funds are collected.

I don't see how it matters that the forums are public. seems like the idea is to get anyone to be able to be in on the development process, or whatever decisions to be made and ideas aired will be public, and you're not buying any kind of exclusivity seat or ideas veto for backing, you're just buying the game.

definitely never seemed like wasteland2 is like the doublefine project in that regard, where you are also buying the insider look at the development and that documentary stuff by backing the kickstarter.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

hahah thankfully i think fargo's smarter than that.

willooi

The $10,000 backers and $5,000 backers get the Blood Sausage too though. So at best if only one person puts in $2,500 at the last moment, he'll probably have paid the lowest price for that collectible, but I bet he would rather have had a statue in his honor along with that. Lol.

Ah silly me, that's right! Well if anyone does go for that tier, s/he deserves a passing mention in the game at the very least =)

..."No statue for you!"

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

Somebody should buy the $5,000 tier and have them put an exploded blood sausage statue in the game. It deserves it. The poor thing's heart must be breaking.

Or at least what's left of it must be.

Nairume

Banned

They were also getting a lot of people begging for an isometric perspective after they already said they were going with top-down to keep it like the original.

Decado

They were also getting a lot of people begging for an isometric perspective after they already said they were going with top-down to keep it like the original.
That's the most logical next step, to me. I'd much prefer it to be isometric. Top-down is fine for shooters and boardgames, and that's about it.

Top Bottom