• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

Sentenza

I'm glad they're still keeping the creation of an entire party

You don't get this nearly enough, period, these days.

As far as I like the idea, personally I always enjoyed the Fallout/BG/Torment approach (with one main character and then some pre-built NPCs for hire) more.
Of course, it's a less flexible system, as you have to choose between a limited amount of character builds, but at least during your playthrough you are going to interact with interesting companions.

Acosta

The thing is, if you start getting into detail, you start getting into controversy. The most this (or any KS project) keeps being an idea, the most focused will backers be on it to happen, instead of dispersing themselves arguing about if it´s going to use C64 sprites or not.

Probably this sounds a bit more sinister than I would like. Fargo commented that even with the things they already planned, the first six months would serve to set the direction of the game in stone, so I guess he doesn't want to be too specific at this moment.

However, I agree about wanting to see more of what they already have. Liked the video, but a second one with some details would be great.

Sentenza

I wouldn't call grid-based maps and movement archaic tech, just a design choice. After all, there were plenty of hex games before and after WL1 on the same platforms. A vector system, while awesome for CQC/shorter-range fights (IMO) where its flexibility is felt most strongly, never existed in old school RPGs and cannot replicate some important effects that those more rigid systems brought to the experience, one of which is the strengthening of options by limiting the possibilities to produce more usable and reliable outcomes that the player can better feel out and master. A hex system would be fine, I think, with some alterations and special rules.

I'm sorry but I can't say I agree at all.
First thing first: ToEE *is* an old school RPG.
In second place, there's virtually no mechanic on a hex grid that can't be replicated on a vector system.
You just need to change the "hex range" of some skills with a range based on specific distances (i.e "you can attack any hexagon aroud you in melee" becomes "you can attack everything at less than 1,2 meters from you").
The only practical difference is that you don't need to wave like a cobra when walking in a straight line and you can be far more accurate with encumbrance.

duckroll

As far as I like the idea, personally I always enjoyed the Fallout/BG/Torment approach (with one main character and then some pre-built NPCs for hire) more.
Of course, it's a less flexible system, as you have to choose between a limited amount of character builds, but at least during your playthrough you are going to interact with interesting companions.

It's not a matter of better or worse, but rather different. Games like Fallout/BG/Torment are RPGs designed around a central main character, and how that character approaches the world and the story. For the sort of narrative those games want to tell, creating a single character and gaining companions through the course of the game is the best approach.

Games where you create the entire party are trying to create a different experience and tell a different sort of narrative. In the case of Wasteland, you are a team of Desert Rangers, and you create that entire team. Instead of a scenario where the story revolves around one person being the central leader, it is instead about a group of survivors who stick together through the game.

In Wasteland you do actually interact with companions and gain NPC party members as well. This is in addition to the team which you created and control directly.

Llyranor

Ok, so turn-based party-based WRPG? A rare beast these days. Will pledge 50.

I used to love WRPGs, but the last one I truly really enjoyed was Knights of the Chalice, and Mask of the Betrayer before that. I've been mostly disappointed or apathetic since then.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I'd actually be thrilled with this being a fairly average graphic affair - 2d top down would be perfect. I'd also got to bat for text descriptions of damage!

I want this to be the sort of game that seems to have vanished - a traditional old school style 2d party based turn based massive world adventure.

I mentioned it before but i'd love something like this on a handheld as well - something some stupidly huge that you can just troll through it for years (like seeing if the level names change by leveling and leveling...)

i was worried this wouldn't get funded - thrilled it is.

I'm sorry but I can't say I agree at all.
First thing first: ToEE *is* an old school RPG.
In second place, there's virtually no mechanic on a hex grid that can't be replicated on a vector system.
You just need to change the "hex range" of some skills with a range based on specific distances.
The only practical difference is that you don't need to wave like a cobra when walking in a straight line and you can be far more accurate with encumbrance.
Yeah, you're right about modifying the ranges to suit the old game's rules, but in my mind, ToEE, the CRPG, is not an old-school RPG in the mechanical sense that I feel is necessary to qualify for that distinction, but maybe that's because I'm pretty traditional about the notion of old school RPGs and believe that there isn't much to change about the original except for getting a new, more user-friendly interface and updates to the existing game while expanding it greatly. Changing its core systems, even heavily modified to mimic the old, will still likely produce a fundamentally different outcome that might threaten to severely limit how true the sequel is to the original old school game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I think ToEE has the best combat system of any RPG ever, if they aim to replicate that I'll probably die of a joygasm.

It's not a matter of better or worse, but rather different. Games like Fallout/BG/Torment are RPGs designed around a central main character, and how that character approaches the world and the story. For the sort of narrative those games want to tell, creating a single character and gaining companions through the course of the game is the best approach.

Games where you create the entire party are trying to create a different experience and tell a different sort of narrative. In the case of Wasteland, you are a team of Desert Rangers, and you create that entire team. Instead of a scenario where the story revolves around one person being the central leader, it is instead about a group of survivors who stick together through the game.

In Wasteland you do actually interact with companions and gain NPC party members as well. This is in addition to the team which you created and control directly.

Remember that you did create the whole party in the Icewind Dale games, and I think that Brian Fargo has said that IWD1 was his favorite of their D&D games... but yeah, I think there are advantages and disadvantages to each style. I don't know which one I prefer more, overall; I really like the party interaction the BG style brings you, but the limited number of potential party members, particularly in BG2 and beyond (BG1 had a lot of options), was something of an issue. On the other hand the IWD games or other "create the whole party" titles let you have an ideal party, but at the cost of party interaction. Overall I think it's better to have some games with each style.

“@BrianFargo: #Linux users. We've heard your requests, and will include a Linux version (in addition to more content) at $1.5 million in pledges.”

mclem

It's been argued into the ground in other places, but I'm on the side that says pure overhead camera was a result of technical limitations, and that isometric is better in every conceivable way.

I'm a massive fan of Laser Squad, but that doesn't mean I find X-Com in any way offensive.

“@BrianFargo: #Linux users. We've heard your requests, and will include a Linux version (in addition to more content) at $1.5 million in pledges.”

I wonder if they've got any plans for beyond $1.5M... because I have a feeling they'll *need* them.

gotta say; I think its a waste of resources but sure. I think PC/MAC should be plenty.

about to hit $800k. HOLYCRAP!

we're getting there.

Varna

Would be cool if they could have the best of both worlds. Have Fallout/Baldur's Gate type NPCs that you can customize to your liking. Or if they profession/class was too vital to their story maybe only allow your to influence it in some way. Sounds like the original already had the right idea though. Pre-made group + NPCs recruits.

Wastelands was before my time. I have always known of the legacy, but only through Fallout 1 & 2. Still incredibly happy to support this and now I'm going to try and forget about it. Otherwise I'm just going to keep checking for more info and that's going to kill me.

Varna

Will the graphics look about on par with Fallout 1 or will they be better/worse?

Don't think there is any news on this. Hopefully it's at least a little better then that. Divine Divinity level graphics would be awesome.

Fallout 1 level wouldn't be bad though. Played both the originals last years and high resolution and widescreen does get rid of a lot of the pixelation. :)

depends on what they're going for but fallout 2 would be the bare minimum! (its just a tad better). I wonder what engine they're going to use. Not sure how I'd feel about it if 3D. but then...

I hope they have climb stats. :p I don't know how they're going to pull off climbing if they do.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Graphics, to be quite honest, are the furthest thing from my mind at this point. I'm more worried about their ability to make a strong, cohesive game with the limited funds and resources at their disposal. Ultimately for my contribution to be worth the expenditure, all I need is a nostalgic yet satisfying experience. Graphics, VA, and other superfluous details are simply icing on the cake.

DiscoJer

I'd actually be thrilled with this being a fairly average graphic affair - 2d top down would be perfect. I'd also got to bat for text descriptions of damage!

I really hope they keep the 2D portraits for the monsters and NPCs. The artwork for those was really nice (for the era's resolution and # of colors) - someone used to use a whole bunch as his avatar, back in the days of animated ones.

willooi

Looking back at some Fallout 1 screenshots...it holds up pretty well, surprisingly!

It's all thanks to the near-timelessness of 2D graphics! If anything, gaming's first few years of foraying into 3D in the late 90's/early 2000's have caused those titles to be permanently dated. Think Virtua Fighter 1, Deus Ex, Outcast, etc.

I'm personally hoping Wasteland 2 is done in a 2D, hand-drawn/painted style, but we'll see.

mclem

And there's the 800k! Just 100k to go and it'll happen.

I'm thinking, frankly, that 1.5M is a lock. I'm wondering what plans they have *beyond* there.

(900k to 1M is going to feel a bit odd. Technically, it's really just saving Brian money for that period. But, well, he deserves it!)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
And there's the 800k! Just 100k to go and it'll happen.

I'm thinking, frankly, that 1.5M is a lock. I'm wondering what plans they have *beyond* there.

(900k to 1M is going to feel a bit odd. Technically, it's really just saving Brian money for that period. But, well, he deserves it!)

yeah the team is taking zero money from the kickstarter afaik so definitely deserve it. just goes to show how committed he is to the development of this game that he would even pledge that in the first place

who knows for certain how it will turn out but it will almost definitely be a labor of love

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
1psYp.gif

Someone should make an animated webpage tied to the final 100K needed in the form of a nuke slowly falling towards the ground and ultimately exploding once 900K is reached

duckroll

yeah the team is taking zero money from the kickstarter afaik so definitely deserve it. just goes to show how committed he is to the development of this game that he would even pledge that in the first place

who knows for certain how it will turn out but it will almost definitely be a labor of love

Fargo is taking no money from the Kickstarter. The money is going into the team and development of the game. Fargo is just one guy, but he's the CEO of inXile. His employees and contract contributors still need to get paid, or we won't need a Kickstarter at all. They would do it for free. :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Fargo is taking no money from the Kickstarter. The money is going into the team and development of the game. Fargo is just one guy, but he's the CEO of inXile. His employees and contract contributors still need to get paid, or we won't need a Kickstarter at all. They would do it for free. :p

yep. not that i even think fargo should feel obligated to take zero money from this but it's a good showing. hopefully can make some money off the backend if it continues to sell to non-kickstarter people

mclem

Did this really happen?

First I've heard of it, and I was following DFA pretty closely. Suggestions against it:

* Normal Kickstarter donations cap out at $10k per donor
* We'd have noticed if the total suddenly shot up by $1M
* In the party last night, Tim read out the list of premium donors (those who went outside KS). There was $110k in total from three groups

It's not an impossibility, but I don't think I buy it.

I'm not sure quite what this says about either Tim when compared to Brian or about Wasteland fans when compared to Adventure fans, but both projects had a 10k 'dinner with the designers', and despite the fact that DFA's overall total racked up much faster, they sold those dinners much more slowly than inXile's; DFA only sold their final (of four) dinner a few days before the end, whereas inXile have already sold six.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i cant believe its going to hit the base goal today. i wish i was in a better mood. i am thankful this is taking off otherwise id probably go completely unhinged.

He should make money once the game goes to steam. I mean; its fully funded and whatever money they collect = sales. Then everything on top = profit (less expenditure).

btw its not really a donation. you technically buying something.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
He should make money once the game goes to steam. I mean; its fully funded and whatever money they collect = sales. Then everything on top = profit (less expenditure).

btw its not really a donation. you technically buying something.
Yea. It should sell well once its released. Most of the people buying it are fans or are unaware of the game but plugged in gaming enough to understand the history and legacy of the game. There will be plenty of potential customers to hopefully boost inXile to never need a kickstart again. Thats what im hoping at least.

Top Bottom