• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I wonder if there's any overlap between the pixel purist camp and the Bioware romance crowd. Because the idea that there is a subset of people out there crossing their fingers for the announcement that Wasteland 2 will be a 2D dating sim is simply delightful.

it horrifies me.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
13k till it hits the goal and is officially happening in some capacity or another.

Pretty crazy to think that when I wake up tomorrow, Wasteland 2, a game I never ever dreamed I'd see, is going to actually be a reality.

Wow.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
there's no need to appease any market. they should just do whatever they think services the game the best. 2D/2.5D/3D. etc

fuck yeah.

Fallout2-reactor.jpg

943188763d1255310473-fallout-2-restoration-project-primtribe1.jpg

ss_7ef4a02185b2882297a7cae96c70635c3cc42052.1920x1080.jpg

How good does that still look?! dogmeat!!!

Now here's Titan Quest

fcyq8.jpg

Diablo III

TSHnZ.jpg

I'd say Fallout 1 and 2 aged nicely

Sentenza

there's no need to appease any market. they should just do whatever they think services the game the best. 2D/2.5D/3D. etc
It isn't about appeasing any market, in fact.
It's all about squeezing out the best possible visuals in the most cost-effective way.

I'm not sure how people can actually think that going with 2D hand-drawn sprites could achieve that result.
They would need some damn talented artists and a shitload of work, and even in that case most likely renouncing to a lot of optional cosmetic stuff like characters' customization or equip visible over the character models.
And the result should ideally manage to scale well on different resolutions.

There are really a dozen of reasons making 3D assets more cost-effective.

I'd say Fallout 1 and 2 aged nicely
I love both Fallout 1 and 2 to death, but I would say that they weren't that pretty even at their launch date, actually.

bhlaab

Lol wat ? 2D is way more cheapjer than 3d. You are all trolled by japanese fighting games developers.

Cost of making fallout1 was3mln dollars and back then and 2D 256colour was super high tec.

Drawing/rendering a billion different sprites for every different set of armor for both genders for any number of races for any number of customizable looks, for 4-8 directions. And all of those need frames for idling, walking, running, punching, kicking, stabbing, swinging, shooting...
Oh wait, someone just said "wouldn't it be cool if we had grenades?" time to make another 800 sprites for "throwing"

OR using the magical power of 3D acceleration, make one skeleton that does all of those animations which you only need to rig up once because it can rotate in realtime and attach an infinite amount of skins onto it.

Wiktor

Lol wat ? 2D is way more cheapjer than 3d. You are all trolled by japanese fighting games developers.

THat might have been true a long time ago, but nowadays 3D is usually a lot cheaper to make, especially for a project with big world

Wiktor

Yes, after many games, and with a not-exactly-groundbreaking improvement.
Also, it was also one of his most criticized games for being somehow "dumbed down" compared to the previous titles.
And now with the new Avernum he already started to recycle the same assets once again.

Yep. THat's a shame. But I enjoyed Avadon after years of staying away from Spiderbweb games and I will now skip his next few games to not destroy this good feeling.

When it comes to indie RPGs Eschalon is the one that needs far more loving.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Wasteland 2: Can love blossom in the Wasteland? |OT|

The more I think about it the better the idea sounds. Switching to a dating sim format even solves the persnickety $2,500 donation tier issue. Forget the blood sausage figure, they just do something like this:

The best Wasteland 2 idea ever said:
Pledge $1,000 or more
Become an NPC in Wasteland 2!

Pledge $2,500 or more
Your in-game personification is now fuckable!

And then they watch the money roll in 2.5 grand at a time.

And for those intrepid souls who donate $10,000? Well, you can probably imagine what their shrine will be dedicated to.

And just imagine what you'll be able to do with their statue.

it horrifies me.

Embrace the future. Too long have the fat cats denied us the fixed-resolution post-apocalyptic romance that is our due. It is only with the advent of grassroots video game funding that we can throw off the publisher-imposed shackles under which we have labored for far too long. Grognard-y RPGs with their stats and persistent world states are yesterday's news, mere antediluvian relics of an era long dead and mourned by few.

Welcome to the world of tomorrow.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I love both Fallout 1 and 2 to death, but I would say that they weren't that pretty even at their launch date, actually.

I actually love the look of it, even now. Though I only discovered the game in the early 2000's. There's something about the gritty look and the game world looks believable to me. Where as, in many 3D games, I feel as though many things are not as naturally placed and cohesive as Fallout 1 and 2. This isn't an inherent problem with 3D games though, I know this.

Also here's a high res image of Fallout 2...

wow, it's been a while since I looked up the grimdawn progress. those latest screenshots are awesome.

edit: and yeah I agree with bluetsunami. fallouts look fantastic even today. love the style. maybe the colour downscaling algorithm has something to do with it. lol. what a terrible thing to write. :))

Grimmy

Banned
Came back to post about how happy I am about Wasteland 2 coming back. This and its very bizarre cousin ESCAPE FROM HELL were pretty memorable back in the late 80s/early 90s. What I liked about them was that they had so much *personality* and quirkiness - something 99% of games seem to lack nowadays.

I donated $30 for now but will most likely plunk in more (probably going for $75).

But one thing I really hope that Brian Fargo won't do - which is to TURN THIS INTO FALLOUT. I don't *want* a a Fallout clone - I want a Wasteland 2. Which means, I want more than just the ugly brown palette that is smeared all over the Fallout games. I want funny and bizarre NPCs and quests. I want quirky characters.

The hi-res shots of Fallout 2 actually made me cringe. I really hope it doesn't look like that.

Stupid question but are we sure they won't use the money to "fix" the current financial problems like the layoffs, 401k etc. instead of working on Wasteland 2?

Decado

It won't be 3D, it will be 2D isometric like fallout or baldurs gate.

3D is the reason why budgets are so high also why old school tactical rpg died. Also 2D art don't age as fast as 3D. Neverwinter nights 1 looks like shit compared to baldurs gate 1 today.
Um...why can't it be 3D isometric? As much as I like 2D (purty), it does place limitations on interactivity and design.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
$900,000 raised, almost 16,000 donors.

Number of people who want an exploded blood sausage? Zero.

KorrZ

Ladies and gentleman, we now live in a world where Wasteland 2 will exist. Good job! Hopefully the momentum keeps out and we get the full 1.5 mil to get a huge world with insanely branching choices.

Top Bottom