• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

Grimmy

Banned
The game really needs to hit 1.5 million though - my worry is that $900,000, or even $1.5 mil, isn't going to be enough to make a game of this scope.

I think the idea of having isometric turn-based combat with large animated portraits is fantastic - but it would really need voice-overs to make it that much more immersive. And that's gonna be expensive...

red731

An hour? They've 33 days remaining, this thing will probably hit like 1.5 mill, 2 if people are really coming out of the RPG woodwork for it.

To reach their goal which was 900k. Everything else now is just for much better product.

Also from the kickstarter page:

"Shut up and take my money!" - Eurogamer reader Arcam (amongst many others)

:lol

KorrZ

The game really needs to hit 1.5 million though - my worry is that $900,000, or even $1.5 mil, isn't going to be enough to make a game of this scope.

I think the idea of having isometric turn-based combat with large animated portraits is fantastic - but it would really need voice-overs to make it that much more immersive. And that's gonna be expensive...

I heard somewhere that they'd rather use less voice acting if it meant more dialogue overall

Grimmy

Banned
I heard somewhere that they'd rather use less voice acting if it meant more dialogue overall

No, for the quests of course it would be mostly text. But VO for the combat will be good - it gives the characters and the enemies personalities. Thank Jagged Alliance - that did it perfectly.

They should remake wasteland 1 before they make a sequel especially if the story picks up from where the last one left off. I bet at least 50% of people here haven't and won't be able to play the first

Instro

They should remake wasteland 1 before they make a sequel especially if the story picks up from where the last one left off. I bet at least 50% of people here haven't and won't be able to play the first

Or they could just get Wasteland up on GoG no? Although perhaps there would be too much work involved.

Perkel

Banned
Errr, I really don't think you know what you're talking about. In terms of actual practical asset production, Fallout 1 is a 3D game. The backgrounds and characters are modeled and animated in 3D, and then converted into 2D because nothing at that time would be able to run 3D graphics like that in realtime.

I know that same as BG locations. But making asset and making it actual 3D game is quite diffrent.

Game don't need to look better than Fallout. And again budget of making Fallout 1 back then was 3 mln$ and that was back then bloody high tec like Crysis was in 2007.

Yes i know "inflation" But even considering that still with today computers and design development game could be done on a lot less than 2-3mln.

I don't want to derail thread so i stop about this 3dvs2d thing. 2D RPG is cheaper imo and noone will change my mind.

Emitan

I know that same as BG locations. But making asset and making it actual 3D game is quite diffrent.

Game don't need to look better than Fallout. And again budget of making Fallout 1 back then was 3 mln$ and that was back then bloody high tec like Crysis was in 2007.

Yes i know "inflation" But even considering that still with today computers and design development game could be done on a lot less than 2-3mln.

I don't want to derail thread so i stop about this 3dvs2d thing. 2D RPG is cheaper imo and noone will change my mind.

Uh... it's not an opinion that it's cheaper, it's just incorrect.

duckroll

Okay so basically you have no idea what you're talking about and you're not interested in learning anything or being corrected in your way of thinking. Gotcha. :)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Also from the kickstarter page:

"Shut up and take my money!" - Eurogamer reader Arcam (amongst many others)

:lol

shut-up-and-take-my-bottlecaps.png

Not just more dialog, but more choices -- if you want to have as much choice as they want to do here, and have a lot of voice acting, either you need a LOT more voice work, or you need to give up on having as much voice acting. It seems the majority opinion among fans is towards the latter. The same applies to cutscenes, but even stronger; read the RPS interview, he talks about it. And it makes sense -- indeed, if you want to have a lot of choices with real consequences, how could you have the game with lots of voice acting or a bunch of cutscenes? Every bit of that would either limit what you can do in terms of choice, or force you to do huge amounts of extra work to account for all possibilities.

They can, fargo said that. He owns IP now.

To explain, if you've missed the numerous other explanations on this point, Brian Fargo owns the rights to a new title, but EA published the original game for Interplay and still has some rights to that. And they're not letting him re-release it.

They can, fargo said that. He owns IP now.

Didn't he just say on his blog that he can't? Brian Fargo may own the rights to make new Wasteland games, but he doesn't own the rights to the original Wasteland game code or game. EA owns that (I think?)

Though would it really kill EA to put the original game on Origin for free? What do they have to lose? The game would be less than 10 MB packaged with DosBOX.

Grimmy

Banned
Not just more dialog, but more choices -- if you want to have as much choice as they want to do here, and have a lot of voice acting, either you need a LOT more voice work, or you need to give up on having as much voice acting. It seems the majority opinion among fans is towards the latter. The same applies to cutscenes, but even stronger; read the RPS interview, he talks about it. And it makes sense -- indeed, if you want to have a lot of choices with real consequences, how could you have the game with lots of voice acting or a bunch of cutscenes? Every bit of that would either limit what you can do in terms of choice, or force you to do huge amounts of extra work to account for all possibilities.

To clarify, I only want the VO for the combat part - a la Jagged Alliance. Not for the quest, plot etc. What is great about the original Wasteland was the quirky personalities you meet. VO during combat (and animated portraits) would help this aspect greatly. It worked really well on Jagged Alliance IMO.

duckroll

Wait why ? He own the IP ? Or he didn't bought whole ip just rights for making wasteland 2 ? That's sad.

Anyway, yay for 900k. 1,5 mln$ will be funded easly.

Yeah he has the rights to make more Wasteland games, but he doesn't have the rights to the original Wasteland code and stuff. That is owned by EA. It's pretty sad. If Wasteland 2 takes off, I bet EA will find some way to exploit it by re-releasing Wasteland on GOG or something.

Wait why ? He own the IP ? Or he didn't bought whole ip just rights for making wasteland 2 ? That's sad.

yeah, he owns the ip. but not the the original game itself.

Yeah he has the rights to make more Wasteland games, but he doesn't have the rights to the original Wasteland code and stuff. That is owned by EA. It's pretty sad. If Wasteland 2 takes off, I bet EA will find some way to exploit it by re-releasing Wasteland on GOG or something.

it sounds like inxile are trying to work something out for it. http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36&start=10#p558

Ah, no no. He owns the rights to the franchise. He can make as many sequels as he wants. But the original game is locked up with EA. IP rights can be an incredibly confusing thing.

Sentenza

Anyway, yay for 900k. 1,5 mln$ will be funded easly.
He owns the IP, yes... Which doesn't mean he also owns the rights of the first game.
And in fact he doesn't.

duckroll

How is he able to make a sequel to a game he doesn't have the rights to?

He owns the Wasteland general IP. EA retains the rights to the specific product which is Wasteland 1, including the code which make up the game. I'm sure in theory he could remake Wasteland 1 as Wasteland Reloaded or whatever, as long as he recreates everything from scratch. But that's not very interesting.

Aaron

I wonder what EA will remake it into. FPS is out. Maybe a F2P game.

He owns the IP though so I'm pretty sure EA wouldn't be able to do that.

They'd have to write a new contract or something I think.

duckroll

I wonder what EA will remake it into. FPS is out. Maybe a F2P game.

EA might not be able to remake the game. They might only be able to re-release the original game. Not 100% sure on the rights breakdown though, so I could be wrong.

He owns the IP though so I'm pretty sure EA wouldn't be able to do that.

They'd have to write a new contract or something I think.

Depends on the rights breakdown. For example, Interplay is able to continue selling the Fallout games they previously published, even though they sold the IP to Bethesda.

To clarify, I only want the VO for the combat part - a la Jagged Alliance. Not for the quest, plot etc. What is great about the original Wasteland was the quirky personalities you meet. VO during combat (and animated portraits) would help this aspect greatly. It worked really well on Jagged Alliance IMO.

Oh, okay, that makes sense then. And yeah, voices in combat are a nice thing to have.

To explain, if you've missed the numerous other explanations on this point, Brian Fargo owns the rights to a new title, but EA published the original game for Interplay and still has some rights to that. And they're not letting him re-release it.

Do they not like money? Or are they just salty they can't do anything with it now, and it seems like there is an audience they missed out on.

Wallach

I'm actually pretty nervous of their proposed development process - sort of sounds like a trainwreck waiting to happen - but I'm still going to back this since it's a great opportunity to shit on the current publishing paradigm. Git 'er done, gamers.

Perkel

Banned
Okay so basically you have no idea what you're talking about and you're not interested in learning anything or being corrected in your way of thinking. Gotcha. :)

No, because i don't want to derail thread. I have my reasons why i think that way, yes i know sprites have their own problems (lack of cutomization for example) but it's not 90' Computers are way more advanced and baked 3D is viable option for many 2D shortcomings Fallout1/2 style. If you want to go more on that subject try to logically present me why there are no games as big as Fallout 2 or Baldurs Gate 2 considering cheap cost of 3D and send me PM. I gladly will take part in that conversation :)

Top Bottom