• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

Orayn

Congrats to Fargo and company! Now, let Avellone start his. Then let it snowball as brilliant, dejected developers of yesteryear gather in droves to reclaim what they've lost.

The future of video games... We've taken it back.

Perkel

Banned
Congrats to Fargo and company! Now, let Avellone start his. Then let it snowball as brilliant, dejected developers of yesteryear gather in droves to reclaim what they've lost.

Yes i'm waiting for Avellone project too.

Emitan

No! Don't let Avelone do it until the summer! I want to give him $100 and I'm broke!

STOP MAKING AWESOME GAMES, DUDES.

btw

pretty sure someone at EA Is now calling some junior coder to get WASTELAND up and running so they can sell that and make coin of the back of this hype.

"HEY YOU"

"um yeah"

"make this run for PC/MAC, its going on origin"

Aaron

btw

pretty sure someone at EA Is now calling some junior coder to get WASTELAND up and running so they can sell that and make coin of the back of this hype.

"HEY YOU"

"um yeah"

No way is EA putting out Wasteland as is. From their perception, it would reflect badly on them as a company. I loved the game at the time, but it's really primitive in looks. If this project takes off they might do a remake, if they have the rights to, but that's all I expect.

Perkel

Banned
btw

"HEY YOU"

"um yeah"

fires up his laptop. Wait, it's 2d top down rpg people won't buy that today. Closes his laptop.

zkylon

zkylewd
914k, that's awesome.

I would like to take a moment to say fuck you to all the publishers that take upon themselves to choose what we should play.

No way is EA putting out Wasteland as is. From their perception, it would reflect badly on them as a company. I loved the game at the time, but it's really primitive in looks. If this project takes off they might do a remake, if they have the rights to, but that's all I expect.

Yeah, I don't think EA has re-released any of their '80s computer games in a long, long time. I doubt they will now.

Gog is a perfect fit for it. Right crowd and everything. I'm pretty sure they do most of the 'get it up and running' work too.

Chris_C

I realise I may be in the minority, but I really wish these kickstarter funded project could make it to PSN.

I'm on the fence about donating, if I do it would be on principle, as I'm highly unlikely to play the game on PC.

JJD

I don't know if I should donate...

I want the Mac version, but I don't know if they will get the sufficient money...

Bah, might as well try to help. Can you donate whatever sum you wish?

Erethian

I realise I may be in the minority, but I really wish these kickstarter funded project could make it to PSN.

I'm on the fence about donating, if I do it would be on principle, as I'm highly unlikely to play the game on PC.

It's the policies of PSN and XBLA that are preventing these titles from releasing on those services.

If it was as easy to get something out on those as it was on Steam, or Mac, or iOS, you can be sure these Kickstarter projects would be doing it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

I want the Mac version, but I don't know if they will get the sufficient money...

yes, you can and you can withdraw your funding at every time you want.

wait til closer to the end; it should hit the target that enables MAC ports. Its trundling its way up still.. currently up $20k.

because right now for everyone else; $15 gets you a game when it releases; its a locked in price and you really can't beat it.

zkylon

zkylewd

Yes, you can donate less than the minimum reward, even. I'd say it's likely they'll get to the 1.5m, though, and they don't charge you until the last day, so I think you can bet on it and back down if you then become uninterested/they don't reach 1.5m.

Fjordson

So awesome that this is already funded. Can't wait to see how this the game turns out. Going to be a tough wait.

Yep. Just the rewards are restricted to their listed amounts.

DagsJT

I'm pretty sure the bank held my Double Fine pledge until the KS finished, and I don't have the money to put towards Wasteland 2 yet. But once I get paid in a couple of weeks, I'll put $15 in.

I've not even played Wasteland 1, BARELY played Fallout 1&2 but I really enjoyed Baldurs Gate. I should get around to playing the first Fallout games though, have they aged well?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I've not even played Wasteland 1, BARELY played Fallout 1&2 but I really enjoyed Baldurs Gate. I should get around to playing the first Fallout games though, have they aged well?

well, well enough if you were able to handle BG. They are more simple games though, don't expect much from combat.

but they are still entertaining.

I'm pretty sure the bank held my Double Fine pledge until the KS finished, and I don't have the money to put towards Wasteland 2 yet. But once I get paid in a couple of weeks, I'll put $15 in.

A little less pretty than Baldurs Gate, but in the same family.

if you do Fallout 1 install the fixt patch

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57362

Download Alpha 4 == http://www.mediafire.com/?i666eu02sijpq3y

Download Alpha 4.1 [patch] (REQUIRED!) http://www.mediafire.com/?aud6ct1zlhm10ae

just extract em, and copy past the contents overwriting the stuff in the fallout game folder.

heres a pic at my monitor native res with the fixt patch

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r117/zombiesupastar/f1_1080.jpg

and another at 720 (it looks slightly blurrier here than in game because I used a pain.net to upscale the 720 screenshot to the 1080 res I run in it) I use 720 because i like it more zoomed in.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r117/zombiesupastar/f1_720.jpg

dude

dude

I'd skip Fallout 1 and go straight for 2 - Much better game, aged a lot better as well.
I installed some interface tweaks and resolution mod - But the second one is pretty useless because if I set the resolution too high I can't read anything.

Perkel

Banned
I'd skip Fallout 1 and go straight for 2 - Much better game, aged a lot better as well.
I installed some interface tweaks and resolution mod - But the second one is pretty useless because if I set the resolution too high I can't read anything.

yep, same opinion. Go to second one. There are references to Fallout 1 but you can play it without it.

Man, I really cannot motherfuckin' believe that a game I've wanted a sequel or direct followup to since I was fucking 15 years old in 1988 is now happening when I'm 39. Better late than never, though I'll be 40 when the game releases...finally. Wife limited me to $150 pledge to start, but negotiations continue to raise it over the next month. This is just awesome fucking news to see this long-dreamed of game come to fruition!

Man, I really cannot motherfuckin' believe that a game I've wanted a sequel or direct followup to since I was fucking 15 years old in 1988 is now happening when I'm 39. Better late than never, though I'll be 40 when the game releases...finally. Wife limited me to $150 pledge to start, but negotiations continue to raise it over the next month. This is just awesome fucking news to see this long-dreamed of game come to fruition!

I wonder how much time should I wait to see the sequel to Arcanum.

Wiktor

Meh..Fallout 2 didn't have even half of original's unique charm. I love that game, but it went from very specific style the first FO1 had to more generic Mad Max post apocalypse. So it will never surpass Fallout 1 in my heart

Fjordson

Definitely check out both on GOG. Played through the first game back during Christmas break and I think it holds up well (granted I'm sort of a Fallout fanboy).

And they both come with the great Mark Morgan soundtracks (who is composing for this game).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

yup who woulda thunk it. megathanks to kickstarter for making pipe dreams realities and to fargo for never letting go

Maybe a hiccup, but KS is definitely up right now (3:50AM MST).

AstroLad said:
yup who woulda thunk it. megathanks to kickstarter for making pipe dreams realities and to fargo for never letting go
Seriously. 2012 honestly seemed to be on-track to ending up being one the worst years for new games, in general. Now, it's going to be remembered for a huge boost to the democratization of games by the very same players that publishers have said don't exist.

Maxrunner

Meh..Fallout 2 didn't have even half of original's unique charm. I love that game, but it went from very specific style the first FO1 had to more generic Mad Max post apocalypse. So it will never surpass Fallout 1 in my heart

ITs a more meaty game F2. Anyway anyone knows if there's a Fallout 2 Dos version?i just installed adosbox for android and i was wondering if there's a dos version, i have 2 fallout collections but it doesnt seem to include a dos version :(

Famassu

Seriously. 2012 honestly seemed to be on-track to ending up being one the worst years for new games, in general. Now, it's going to be remembered for a huge boost to the democratization of games by the very same players that publishers have said don't exist.
Uh, no? While I'm excited by this and Double Fine's adventure game (and all the other possibilities Kickstarter has, i.e. Obsidian RPG), 2012 has been a great year so far and was only going to get better as time goes by.

Top Bottom