• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

mclem

their forums are becoming a disgrace, already the biodrones are infesting it asking for their shitty romances and marriages. This single candle in the wind is already threatened to be snuffed out by the inky darkness.
A call to arms for hardcore dicerollers.

Hardcore dicerollers... like Brian Fargo, for instance?

@ryanyewell said:
@BrianFargo I hope "game influence by fans/committee" is balanced with strong leadership/tough decisions. Sometimes these are at odds... :)
@BrianFargo said:
@ryanyewell don't worry. There is a healthy process to make it work. I am not without strong opinion.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
ITs a more meaty game F2. Anyway anyone knows if there's a Fallout 2 Dos version?i just installed adosbox for android and i was wondering if there's a dos version, i have 2 fallout collections but it doesnt seem to include a dos version :(

There was never a DOS version of Fallout 2. Fallout and Fallout 2 came out in 1997 and 1998, respectively, by which time DOS was well on its way out. That there was a DOS version of the first game was far enough outside of the norm that it struck me as odd even at the time it came out.

Fallout 2 in your pocket is a fine dream, but a dream it must remain.

dude

dude
There's also nothing inheretly wrong with romances or marriage in RPGs - They can add quite a bit. The problem is with BioWare shitty writing. The romances were some of my favorite parts in BG2 and PS:T... I remember how blown my mind was that I could actually have these kinds of significant relationship in a video game the first time I played these game.

That sad..

But the forums are full of shitty "I want to be able to build a city and buy a house!" opinions. These are horrible suggestions and I hope will be ignored fast and hard into oblivion.

Maxrunner

There was never a DOS version of Fallout 2. Fallout and Fallout 2 came out in 1997 and 1998, respectively, by which time DOS was well on its way out. That there was a DOS version of the first game was far enough outside of the norm that it struck me as odd even at the time it came out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S7J90A0J9U

Now if only i can find a dos version....;)

There were actually some other DOS games in 1997, Fallout wasn't the only one. Some other examples of significant DOS games in 1997 are Sandwarriors (also from Interplay), KKND, Shadow Warrior, Carmageddon and its addon, and Extreme Assault. I'm sure there are some more. However, 1997 was the last gasp of DOS gaming -- by 1998, major PC games were Win9x only. This even applied to some addons for DOS titles. For instance, while KKND is DOS only, KKND's standalone addon KKND Xtreme is a Win95 title. Somewhat similarly, 1996's Lords of the Realm II was for both DOS and Win95, but its 1997 addon is Win95 only (which annoyed me at the time, because we didn't get a computer with Win95 on it until July or August of 1997...).

So yeah, Fallout 1 was one of the last PC RPGs for DOS, though it's also got a Win95 version on the disc. (That's not a guarantee; most of those games I listed above are DOS only titles that they expect most people will be running through Win95)

Maxrunner

Is fallout 1 free now?? or does it belong to bethesda???if not i might try getting it, since i cant seem to make fallout 1 install as dos version from my dvd collection...

Minsc

Gold Member
Oh... hmmm... probably not. :(

Actually you can download the 1.1 DOS patch and use it to patch the GOG windows version to work with DOSBox (see Gadget2006's reply here for more info). That said, fallout 1 is supposively a very demanding game, so performance may be very poor. The framerate in the video linked earlier looks like 1fps (maybe less), and someone who did it on a Galaxy S2 said it was poor also. Also, the recommended community patches may not be compatible with the DOS version as well, I'm not sure, since all development is based around the Windows version these days.

Mikeside

914k, that's awesome.

I would like to take a moment to say fuck you to all the publishers that take upon themselves to choose what we should play.

Lol, yeah! Fuck you, publishers! It's like you're just in business to make money :( EVIL!

I don't see why people have to create a divide...

I'm loving the indie stuff that's coming out lately, the sort of stuff that no publisher would touch due to the risk of the unknown, but I sure as hell don't blame them for steering clear - all it takes is a few fuckups and your investors lose all trust.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm loving the indie stuff that's coming out lately, the sort of stuff that no publisher would touch due to the risk of the unknown, but I sure as hell don't blame them for steering clear - all it takes is a few fuckups and your investors lose all trust.

I don't care about their investors. I care about games.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Brian Fargo better not make it lame like he did with Bard's Tale

I'm especially curious as to what they'll do if (when at this rate) the game makes it past $1.5 million as that, currently, wraps up Mac, Russian localization, and apparently via recent tweet Linux. Yet more platforms? Localizations? Just ingame meat on the bones? Some sort of modding SDK?

subversus

he understood what made Bard's Tale according to his interview but they intentionally did it to make it more "approachable" for new audiences.

New audiences aren't what this project is about.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
It's a good feeling to see the beginings of older genres coming back into full form again, and with no bindings from publishers. It's time like these that makes me love what the internet has done for gaming today.

Blackace

he understood what made Bard's Tale according to his interview but they intentionally did it to make it more "approachable" for new audiences.

New audiences aren't what this project is about.

He has messed up Bard's Tale twice in a row now...

The PS2 one was just as bad as the iOS one.. If not worse..

JimmyBoy

I knew nothing about Wasteland until this thread, went and read a bunch and immediately spent the 15$. I love that this kind of thing can exist.

FnordChan

Well, it's the beginning of another day! I wonder how the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter is doing?

The Wasteland 2 Kickstarter as of 8:30am EST said:

Wooooooooo! Totally funded and still going strong! Victory! Woooooooooooo!

Ahem. I know I'm late to the party, but I had to express my enthusiasm. Woo!

FnordChan

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Whats amazing to me is that the momentum has slowed a bit but it hasnt hit that pivot trickle people were talking about. Its on track to hit $1m in several hours. i havent even put in my money yet!

Blackace

Whats funny is that Fargo is easily one of my favorite personalities in games.. He made a few if my favorite games of all time. Wasteland being one of my favorite games and the OG Bard's Tales.. But the new Bard's Tale made me lose a lot of faith.. I hope he makes another great title with Wasteland he is getting the support for it

mclem

I'm especially curious as to what they'll do if (when at this rate) the game makes it past $1.5 million as that, currently, wraps up Mac, Russian localization, and apparently via recent tweet Linux. Yet more platforms? Localizations? Just ingame meat on the bones? Some sort of modding SDK?

I'm curious what their intention is for budgeting post-release support. If they blow through the entire budget on the original release, there's no budget to cover patches - unless the plan is to fund patches with the revenue from the sales of the finished product.

(DFA's a rather different beast since an adventure - through design - has a rather more limited scope, and ought to be easy to find bugs - at least when compared to the potential combinatorial explosion of all the intermeshing mechanics in a complicated RPG. While I don't expect DFA to be completely bug-free at the outset, I wouldn't be surprised if they can stomp all the gamestoppers. I'm less certain for this due to the scale involved)

That said, it's looking very like Brian isn't going to have to stump up the $100k contingency money he pledged at the start, so if the worst comes to the worst that's a fund which could be tapped while they're waiting for actual sales revenue to come in.

sTeLioSco

Banned
hope it manages to go over 1.25 at least...

"But we’re looking ahead to what we can do if you all back this project in force. At $1.25 million, the money will go primarily into making the world bigger, adding more maps, more divergent stories and even more music. "

Blackace

I thought that was a pretty good game that gets quite a few bonus points if you appreciate parody.

I guess it is one of those if he didn't name it "Bard's Tale" it might have been an ok title for me...

FnordChan

Whats funny is that Fargo is easily one of my favorite personalities in games.. He made a few if my favorite games of all time. Wasteland being one of my favorite games and the OG Bard's Tales.. But the new Bard's Tale made me lose a lot of faith.. I hope he makes another great title with Wasteland he is getting the support for it

For me, Wasteland is my favorite video game of all time, and even if the end product can't live up to expectations I'm still happy to pledge my money for the chance to see the original creators bring us a sequel. It may very well be that we can't go home again, but even if the project doesn't live up to the hype at least I won't left wondering what might have been. Besides, as long as I can blow things away with my Meson Cannon on full auto I'll be pretty satisfied.

FnordChan

duckroll

So, it only made $960k in 48 hours? Seems like it failed to hit a million. This is a total failure. Fargo better pack up and go home. No one wants a new Wasteland 2 I guess.

:)

Mikeside

I don't care about their investors. I care about games.

As you should. Me too - but can you blame the people who are doing their jobs for only publishing games that they think will sell? Its not the games charity, its the games industry.

As long as there are Indies finding ways to fund games they want to make (and more specifically, games I want to play) then I'm happy with the situation we have right now.

Blackace

For me, Wasteland is my favorite video game of all time, and even if the end product can't live up to expectations I'm still happy to pledge my money for the chance to see the original creators bring us a sequel. It may very well be that we can't go home again, but even if the project doesn't live up to the hype, at least I won't left wondering what might have been. Besides, as long as I can blow things away with my Meson Cannon on full auto, I'll be pretty satisfied.

FnordChan

I would have fully agreed with you until I played Bard's Tale

It'll be what Escape from LA was to Escape from NY at worst. (I hope.)
Still, WASTELAND 2 is gonna happen for real, man.

For me, Wasteland is my favorite video game of all time, and even if the end product can't live up to expectations I'm still happy to pledge my money for the chance to see the original creators bring us a sequel. It may very well be that we can't go home again, but even if the project doesn't live up to the hype, at least I won't left wondering what might have been. Besides, as long as I can blow things away with my Meson Cannon on full auto, I'll be pretty satisfied.

FnordChan

Nice, WL1 is mine, too. I wonder just how many more here on GAF consider it to be their favorite game of all time?

mclem

Nice, WL1 is mine, too. I wonder just how many more here on GAF consider it to be their favorite game of all time?

I've never played it!

Poring over Amazon and eBay trying to source a copy; it's been on a couple of anthologies, which helps, but a lot of them go for ridiculous figures.

dejan

I've never played it!

Poring over Amazon and eBay trying to source a copy; it's been on a couple of anthologies, which helps, but a lot of them go for ridiculous figures.

I remember buying this for like €10 back in the day:
sam_0079xuq3.jpg

subversus

As you should. Me too - but can you blame the people who are doing their jobs for only publishing games that they think will sell? Its not the games charity, its the games industry.

As long as there are Indies finding ways to fund games they want to make (and more specifically, games I want to play) then I'm happy with the situation we have right now.

well, I don't really blame them simply because they are not really interested in small games as they can't sustain their sizes being big so they need very large profitable projects which cost a lot.

but I can sort of blame them for the lack of foresight and balls. You see, judging from some blog posts and some info I have from people working in the industry some publishers aren't very bright. Some of them dig games and understand them. But then they have to take the game to sales department and there are less people in sales department who understand games. Sometimes there are none. And if there are peole at sales and development divisions who understand games there may be none at marketing.

There are two big publishers taking risks and succeeding (sometimes).

Take 2 and Bethesda. Take 2 is more successful than Bethesda in that regard.

Take 2:

Bioshock - this wasn't supposed to sell judging from its themes and System Shock 2 perfomance
Borderlands - complete art-style overhaul less than a year from the release, a new IP in the crowded season
Red Dead Redemption - do you remember any smash hits in western genre?

also XCOM: Enemy Unknown - big-budget strategy revival with respect to its roots but we have to see how does it sell.

Bethesda: not dumbing down completely the type of RPG they do. If somebody told me that console players would love Oblivion and Fallout and a single-player RPG without day DLC would move beyond 10 million copies I would laugh at them.
also: Dishonored, Prey 2 - complex, big budget new IPs and single player only to the boot. Let's see how they do.

EA took risks and failed, got back to their usual dickish mode.

Top Bottom