• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

So this is literally going to be an OG Fallout game (I know Wasteland came first but wasn't it a menu-based game?)

I would love it was the true Fallout 3. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy Bethesda's take on Fallout, because I did, but I want to see the original team revisit Fallout's setting with isometric 3D perspective and stuff.

I wonder why this concept isn't getting more support.

A good tactical shooter is even more rare these days then an adventure game. Maybe gamers aren't interested because the market got oversaturated with FPS games but damn. It has more talent behind it then Wasteland 2 imo. Guess there are less fans out there of the oldschool Rainbow Six / Ghost Recon games made by Red Storm then I thought.

a) not funding a game to be developed

b) funding a prototype to then go to investors

c) then what?

You're giving them money that then profits "investors/publisher" down the line

go read the official thread for this game.

SupaNaab

When I was growing up my uncle and grandfather were the only people who I knew that owned PCs. I didn't grow up with pc adventure games or some of the older rpg titles because I had consoles. These were largely the games that those family members had and as a result were very much some of my first experiences with computers in general. Games like these are a direct cause for my love for gaming. I owe these guys my donation.

Wiktor

Whilst good tactical shooters are rare these days it's still a shooter, and it'll probably be modern based.

Fatigue I'm guessing.
I would imagine there's less fatigue for tactical shooters than there is for adventure games and yet Double Fine achieved huge success.

The problem is that the tactical shooter project itself is a lot weirder (in that he isn't financing a game, but prototype) and lacks any real hook. People don't know the guy, he has nothing to show and there's no good IP behind it.

A Kickstarter for Rogue Spear 2 oraz SWAT 5 would do a lot better. Same with Ground branch, because they would have a lot of game to show.

I would imagine there's less fatigue for tactical shooters than there is for adventure games and yet Double Fine achieved huge success.

they went for a type of adventure game that is no longer being produced/would be funded. Can't wait to see what they produce at the end of it. Hugely excited for it. Something way old school

Wiktor

they went for a type of adventure game that is no longer being produced/would be funded. Can't wait to see what they produce at the end of it. Hugely excited for it. Something way old school

Those type of adventure games are still being produced and funded.
People didn't put money on it because that's the type of game they want, they pledged money to have this type of game be made by those particular people. Huge difference.

Oh..and rumors are Tex Murphy guys will go next for Kickstarter :)

Wiktor

I don't know how that's supposed to work. The Tex Murphy games were big-budget "interactive movie" games in the early CDROM era, Kickstarter isn't for games with $20 million budgets.

Not all of them were like that. You could just as easily make them in the style of Mean Streets and Martians Memorandum.

Couple years ago, when they were trying to ressurect the IP they wanted to make 3D characters and they ackowledged it would be impossible to do it full FMV these days.
SO yeah, I think they will either make it fully 3D or 3d characters + pre-rendered backgrounds. And then add comic-book Max-Payne style cutscenes if they're short on cash or make few short FMVs (which aren't that expensive as long as they wouldn't go crazy on SFX, look at Casebook series).

SparkTR

I don't know how that's supposed to work. The Tex Murphy games were big-budget "interactive movie" games in the early CDROM era, Kickstarter isn't for games with $20 million budgets.

I wonder what would happen if someone well-known and trustworthy made an entry that had a relatively high requirement (something like 6 million). We've seen small budgets rise to high levels, but never a high initial request. Will that constant possibility of it not being funded stop that slow period in the middle of the kickstarter and motivate more people to back higher? Having a Kickstarter that actually made use of the full month to fund (both Adventure and Wasteland 2 didn't need more than a week) would be interesting to see. maybe there's more potential to KS than we know, but it's all new territory so we don't know the limits yet.

Almighty

Well i am glad the donations are still going on at a decent pace. Almost to 1.3 million now. Should be able to reach 1.5 to 2 million at this rate. Pretty much what some of you guessed.

I said it before, but I am really excited for the precedent this and Double Fine set. Already i have seen rumors of Obsidian doing one some time in the future so that has me hoping its true. Also developers of Age of Decadence another game I have been keeping an eye on dropped a hint they they might do one as well when their demo hits. I will definitely donate to them if it helps that game to actually come out this year.

Exciting times for those of use who would like more complex rpgs to be made.

Was this released???

Better acting = more money.

Yes, it was. 2011 release, too! It is worth saying, though, that it's not just obviously low budget, it's made by a studio in Greece, and the English script is dubbed. They're originally speaking Greek. The original voice acting might be better... The first Conspiracies came with both English and Greek language versions in the box (in the US version too)... not sure about the sequel. Not sure if it even got a US release on that note. I do own the first one though, which is from 2003 or so I believe.

Between this and Double Fine, would indie devs with no experience (successful experience at least) get this kind of money for a project?

Honest question, not hinting at anything here.

Not a chance in hell.

I would pledge only to well known devs and long gone franchises for example Might and Magic, Ultima etc. not to something new (new IP) from Mr Nobody.

I am also wondering if it is possible to kickstart console projects? Nintendo should allow fans to fund the next F-Zero...

kase23

Fuck it, upped my pledge to $250. It's nothing compared to years of joy CRPG's have brought me and I don't think I've ever been so genuinely excited over a project as much as this.
I am also wondering if it is possible to kickstart console projects? Nintendo should allow fans to fund the next F-Zero...

I wouldn't like the precedent this would set, especially to the finicky bi-polar publishers (capcom) who seem to falsely blame lack of fan interest as an excuse to cancel projects, I'd rather more operation rainfall style methods of gaining attention, not that I wouldn't welcome a new F-Zero.

Aselith

a) not funding a game to be developed

b) funding a prototype to then go to investors

c) then what?

You're giving them money that then profits "investors/publisher" down the line

go read the official thread for this game.

The other thing is what exactly happens if he doesn't get investors after he finishes his prototype? Cause people sure as shit aren't getting their money back. It's not like no project has ever fizzled due to lack of interest. 200k is a drop in the bucket for a AAA project like a tactical shooter trying to break into the crowded market would have to be. If people were interested in this, 200k wouldn't be a problem.

So this will play more like Fallout 1/2, rather than the original Wasteland? (I was watching a few videos of the original on YouTube.)

If so, I'll probably chip in $15 as it gets closer or surpasses the 1.5mil mark. Would definitely want this cross-platform.

duckroll

So this will play more like Fallout 1/2, rather than the original Wasteland? (I was watching a few videos of the original on YouTube.)

If so, I'll probably chip in $15 as it gets closer or surpasses the 1.5mil mark. Would definitely want this cross-platform.

Okay, based on what Fargo has said so far I think can be pretty sure about the following:

- Unlike Fallout, you will create a party of Rangers instead of just one guy.

- You control the entire party, and you can split them up around the map, like in Fallout 1/2.

- It will probably be isometric, and at least LOOK like Fallout 1/2.

Beyond that, the game might not play a lot like Fallout, so temper your expectations. The interface will certainly be a lot like Fallout 1/2, but Wasteland must be Wasteland! There will be those of us who will fight to the death after this is funded to make our voices heard.

The_End

So, this is pretty much guaranteed to come out now, right? I mean, besides some freak accident like their development studios getting hit by an asteroid or the actual Apocalypse happening.

duckroll

So, this is pretty much guaranteed to come out now, right? I mean, besides some freak accident like their development studios getting hit by an asteroid or the actual Apocalypse happening.

Yes. In all likelihood, by the end of next year, we'll all be playing Wasteland 2.

godnorazi

Banned
Okay, based on what Fargo has said so far I think can be pretty sure about the following:

- Unlike Fallout, you will create a party of Rangers instead of just one guy.

- You control the entire party, and you can split them up around the map, like in Fallout 1/2.

- It will probably be isometric, and at least LOOK like Fallout 1/2.

Beyond that, the game might not play a lot like Fallout, so temper your expectations. The interface will certainly be a lot like Fallout 1/2, but Wasteland must be Wasteland! There will be those of us who will fight to the death after this is funded to make our voices heard.

sounds like baldurs gate in fallout world then? if so, im in

Almighty

I think this may get delayed to winter 2014. I'm fine with that.

I dunno bout getting delayed that long. With that said if they don't announce a delay of at least a few months I will be surprised.

I dunno of they can do a deep rpg like they are promising by the deadline they have. Though I guess it all really depends on exactly how high they are aiming with the production values.

Nintendo should allow fans to fund the next F-Zero...

Nintendo has so much money they should do a minimum of 2 "beloved" "charity project" per year. give back to the fans. The cost of making those games+risk would be remediated by the interest they get from their cash reserve anyway. They just don't give a shit.

They should already start working on the scenario+ground stuff now. The money's going to happen. BF is probably tabling with his team what to do next etc - script/scenario/mechanics - his pitch did seemingly involve a lot of forethought if he tried to table this to publishers so with any luck; It would not have to be delayed.

nubbe

The tools to build the world have already been invented.
They could use the Fallout Tactics engine and update it.

Its more about how much time they intend to spend on art and plot twists.

The tools to build the world have already been invented.
They could use the Fallout Tactics engine and update it.

Its more about how much time they intend to spend on art and plot twists.

not sure if inxile has access to that engine.

plot
engine/interface
art
music
gameworld

Almighty

They should already start working on the scenario+ground stuff now. The money's going to happen. BF is probably tabling with his team what to do next etc - script/scenario/mechanics - his pitch did seemingly involve a lot of forethought if he tried to table this to publishers so with any luck; It would not have to be delayed.

Yeah, but what he has done is the easy stuff. It is the stuff his team has coming up that makes or breaks hitting the deadline. Making the actual game is what will cause unexpected delays while bugs are found and fix and so on.

I mean I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he will hit that date he set here. He has made or been a part of developing more games then i ever will. So I assume an industry veteran like him has factored that stuff in to his release date. Just saying I fully expect a delay not that I would mind one if it happens I just expect one.

in reference to the fallout 1+2 engine; I'm guessing EA has the rights?

in reference to fallout tactics engine - that was microforte in australia. probably also EA?

so Inxile will probably have to built something from scratch for the game. UE3 is for graphics.

but we're talking wasteland; not fallout ;)

Wait, why would EA have the rights to the engine of the original games? (Not that I'd want inXile to use it anyway, I have no nostalgic attachment to game engines.)

so Inxile will probably have to built something from scratch for the game. UE3 is for graphics.

UE3 is a complete middleware engine, you can have graphics, sound, physics, character animations, basic AI behavior, multiplayer framework, server and client network code, and other things too just from the engine package you license.

Of course for the purposes of an RPG you need to create the stats and combat engine but most of the hard engine work is done if you license UE3.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Of course for the purposes of an RPG you need to create the stats and combat engine but most of the hard engine work is done if you license UE3.

and their artists + coders have experience with it, so development pipeline is ready. They even built random level generator for UE3 while Firaxis weren't able to produce it.

Top Bottom