• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

Nice! Will easily exceed the $1.5M level of design they mention, as well, this thing will be on all modern computer platforms (not including mobile OS, but I'm sure that's an inevitability). Great job, KickStarters, I love you all.

Sentenza

I'm still hoping for them to reach or exceed the 2 millions. That would probably boost the production value by a good amount.

Wiktor

Yeah, Westwood developed Tactics. Every single time it breaks my heart seeing what it could've been.

No, it was Micro Forte that developed tactics. Great spin-off though.

A lot of ex-Micro Forte guys are now at Irrational's australia branch

DiscoJer

From the WL2 blog, this interesting snippet

One friend of mine who worked with me there said recently he felt that in the beginning of the industry all the nerds were in charge, but then as the industry grew it changed, and now the guys that picked on the nerds got back on top. I think there was some great truth to that.

I really do think that explains a lot...

mclem

I hope this hits 2 million in the next 2 weeks. It is a gooooooood time to be a fan of classic gaming.

I don't think it will. We're at the stage now where DFA slowed down a *lot*.

That said, I do think it will surpass 2M in the end (and I'm playing a hunch which suggests it'll gain a further 300k in the final 24 hours). Just not that rapidly.

Sentenza

Anyway, this Fargo Kickstarter and the recent Fallout Post-mortem from Tim Cain at GDC had me thinking...
How is it that broadly loved and missed games from the past requires such a low budget (relatively speaking) and yet there's no one trying to ride that wave today?

Let's take Paradox, for instance: they keep boasting about how well their business are going with their games' sales and Gamersgate.
What's preventing Paradox from investing, let's say, from 2 to 5 millions to make their own Baldur's Gate-like?

It wouldn't even be such a bold risk for them, compared to their traditional model.
In fact, if you would compare it their strategic games it would be almost like entering in the "mainstream" market.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Paradox churn out their games in a very timely fashion. an RPG like that will take 2 years to make.

Sentenza

Paradox churn out their games in a very timely fashion. an RPG like that will take 2 years to make.
Well, but costs are that high cause they take in consideration the development time already.
Once you can afford to pay your employees for all the time they work on the game and then have a (most likely) profitable product in the end, it shouldn't make any difference.

duckroll

Well, but costs are that high cause they take in consideration the development time already.
Once you can afford to pay your employees for all the time they work on the game and then have a (most likely) profitable product in the end, it shouldn't make any difference.

Maybe they're just not interested in making a RPG like that? Have you considered that?

Sentenza

Maybe they're just not interested in making a RPG like that? Have you considered that?
Sure, that's the most obvious answer. I just wonder why.
They are obviously trying to branch out, and yet they are doing it with productions that seem to have far less potential to succeed.

robin2

About the "why no one makes these games anymore?", I've come to believe that publishers want to invest (other than "minimal investment") on things with the potential to expand their audience.

(I think for example that Dragon Age 2 was born also cause of this "logic", EA saw -in their eyes- that DA:O could't do it and conversely it could even shrink).

Wiktor

Anyway, this Fargo Kickstarter and the recent Fallout Post-mortem from Tim Cain at GDC had me thinking...
How is it that broadly loved and missed games from the past requires such a low budget (relatively speaking) and yet there's no one trying to ride that wave today?

Let's take Paradox, for instance: they keep boasting about how well their business are going with their games' sales and Gamersgate.
What's preventing Paradox from investing, let's say, from 2 to 5 millions to make their own Baldur's Gate-like?

It wouldn't even be such a bold risk for them, compared to their traditional model.
In fact, if you would compare it their strategic games it would be almost like entering in the "mainstream" market.
Up untill recently such budget was way out of their reach. Now it's changing slowly and that's why you see them making Cartel and Naval Warfare. As well as Cities in Motion. Those are all attempts to bring back old game types. I'm sure sooner or later they will also make RPG.

It's still doing around $2k/hr right now.

At $2 million, they get Ron Perlman to be The Narrator?

I might upgrade to the $100 CE if they hit $2 million for the miniature and the 2 parts of the novella.

It's still doing around $2k/hr right now.

At $2 million, they get Ron Perlman to be The Narrator?

I might upgrade to the $100 CE if they hit $2 million for the miniature and the 2 parts of the novella.

No to Ron Perlman. That's fallout. and still is fallout.

Tim Cain just said FO took 3.5 years to do :O

Zeliard

Tim Cain just said FO took 3.5 years to do :O

It had a super-messy development as Cain noted, plus they had to build the engine, create the art assets, etc basically from scratch. Fallout 2 was developed incredibly quickly - being released only a year after Fallout 1 - because they pretty much already had everything.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
by the way was anyone to complete FO2 with 1 in strength? I have made a mistake, should have maxed out my outdoorsman skill....

Sentenza

I would love a game which would allow you to switch between first person and isometric views. They had the engine...
Uhm, isn't that what Dragon Age: Origins did (except it was third person instead of first).
And in fact I would say that the game did quite well, in terms of camera and graphics (even if a bit more zoomout would be appreciated).

Anyway, I still think that they should look at RTS games to nail how to handle isometric view in a modern engine.

Truant

It would be cool if one of the major Engine developers donated an engine license to this project. Would save them a lot of time and money. Crytek, looking at you!

Zeliard

Troika's death was incredibly unfortunate. That was the beginning of the end right there, outside of some notable examples. Maybe Kickstarter will now mark a new beginning of sorts.

Anyone know what the rough budget on a game like ToEE was?

dude

dude
it's nice to hate options

It would mean that they have to make the assets much more detailed and arrange the area so that they'll look good in first person view. The first is wasteful and the second will just move them away from focusing on a great isometric experience.
I don't understand how would this option add anything to the game...

akira28

Yeah, that would be great for another game. The swap to 1st person and isometric is snazzy, but it really doesn't fit with Wasteland's 4-7 person party setup. I'm not against a top down/isometric combat swap though.

duckroll

It would be cool if one of the major Engine developers donated an engine license to this project. Would save them a lot of time and money. Crytek, looking at you!

The president of the biggest engine developer already gave $10,000 to Wasteland 2 out of his own pocket. :p

Yeah. He also later tweeted that maybe BF could do WL2 in Unreal. *lol.

still, mike capps could probably fund the whole project with interest from his holdings in maybe oh, a couple days?

+

just finished the tim caine Fallout talk and that was amazing - so much insight towards that game; the process, the tech. And it happened in 2012 took. The timing couldn't be better for interest in wasteland2.

Wouldn't it be awesome if Fargo any way added his $100k after the pledging ends? No matter how much money they gather (say 2.5 mil) he would still add 100 000$ to it.

Emitan

Off topic, but I decided to install Fallout Tactics off of my Fallout Trilogy collection and I noticed that FO1+2's widescreen and fan patches are included on the disk. Neato.

I think distribution was honestly the biggest barrier, and that's why we're starting to see a revival of these sorts of things today. It's slow because $5m is still actually a lot of money to spend on a completely speculative project and it's only really in the last year or two that PC digital distribution has really hit the level of consistency, ubiquity, and mindshare to start thinking about this stuff seriously.

Baldur's Gate II, at least, I'm pretty sure was closer to the $10-15m range.

Get Mel Gibson or John Travolta. :D

Personally, I was thinking Patrick Stewart for ultimate geek cred. Plus he has an awesome narrator voice.

Funding has definitely slowed down though, but it is still crawling at a good pace. I could see it reaching just a little over 2 million at the end.

Top Bottom