• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

They weren't talking about it in that interview.

Here's an interview I came across that features both Findley and Fargo talking about their not-so-great RPG, Hunted. I think it provides some insight into what Fargo really wants to do with the WL2 project.

While reading Hunted reviews, it felt like I was reading reviews of Alpha Protocol. Great elements, great mood (at times), all truncated by silly bugs that shouldn't have made it into production.

DaBuddaDa

The pace of pledges has really fallen off a cliff this weekend, much more severely than I was expecting. I hope it has more legs than this.

Almighty

The pace of pledges has really fallen off a cliff this weekend, much more severely than I was expecting. I hope it has more legs than this.

Yeah. He really needs to release an update this week showing off some concept art or something. Something that will get some of the fence sitters to donate and/or generate more hype. Attract some more attention to this project.

Zeliard

Going at a clip of 100k every - let's say - 4 days, it'll hit 2 million by the end. There's also the burst of funding these projects tend to see when they near the end. People will probably end up pushing it over the top, especially if/when Fargo details more precisely what they'll be doing with 2 million.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah. He really needs to release an update this week showing off some concept art or something. Something that will get some of the fence sitters to donate and/or generate more hype. Attract some more attention to this project.

Yep that'll do it. They should take their time and do it right though. Get people REALLY hyped.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I do because of what one of their guys said. I just thought it was hilarious contrast, that's all :)

yeah, i kinda try to divorce a little here what inxile is capable of on a passion project (with additional contributors) vs. their commercial stuff which obviously has not sat too well with them in recent years.

panty

It'll climb to $1.5M quite easily. There are lots of people who are yet to contribute, including me and I'm putting down $100.

This is exciting!

The_End

It'll climb to $1.5M quite easily. There are lots of people who are yet to contribute, including me and I'm putting down $100.

This is exciting!

Yeah, and there are people like me who've contributed $15 and who are thinking of increasing their contribution. There's no way it doesn't hit 1.5 million in the next 29 days.

The question that I have is, will it hit 3 million? 29 days is quite a long time for this sort of thing.

The_End

When did this start? I see that the first post was on Tuesday March 13th. Did it start on that day, or was that just the announcement of an upcoming kickstarter campaign?

The_End

So it's been going on for about six days and it's at 1.3 million? Pretty impressive.

There will almost certainly be a dramatic slowdown over the next 25-26 days. But it'll probably pick up again in the last few days. You're probably right about it not reaching 3 million though. But I could easily see this go past 2 million mark. Maybe 2.25 million.

When James Rolfe released an update video for his movie campaign the rate of donations skyrocketed.
Fargo should do something like that to get it over 1.5 mil

Wiktor

yeah, i kinda try to divorce a little here what inxile is capable of on a passion project (with additional contributors) vs. their commercial stuff which obviously has not sat too well with them in recent years.

I think the real lesson here is not take seriously everything a developer working a project for publisher says.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm gonna bet they reach 3 million, so I can root for them getting high numbers. Besides, I'd like this to break Tim Schafer's record, so the desire for old-school RPGs is heard loud and clear.

mclem

I'm not going to go quite that high, I think I'll say 2.1M.

I wonder if they've any plans for going far beyond 1.5M. It's all very well saying "MORE STUFF", but it's all gotta be integrated well and thought through with care.

I'm not going to go quite that high, I think I'll say 2.1M.

I wonder if they've any plans for going far beyond 1.5M. It's all very well saying "MORE STUFF", but it's all gotta be integrated well and thought through with care.

well, tim only really need 400k? Now he can actually make 3 of those games? I'm guessing he's going to profit off the "preorders". A very neat 2+ million. Non of it going to publishers. Plus the money can sit in a bank and do some interest collecting. From the looks of his office etc; he was looking to fund DFA but I bet he has reserves of cash anyhow.

for wasteland2; I think every bit of the coin helps. This game will probably need more work done to make it a quality product than DFA. W2 is the challenge.

mclem

well, tim only really need 400k? Now he can actually make 3 of those games?

The thing about adventures is they very naturally fit into discrete chapters. In terms of content: maybe he only needed 400k to approximately make Act 1 of The Secret Of Monkey Island, but now he's got several times that he's going to make the entire game, effectively. New content can be trivially bolted on to the front, end or middle without directly impinging on the overall experience. Or, to put it another way: He can make 3 of those games into one game.

[I'm very curious, on that note, what sort of budget a Telltale episode has (they're probably budgeted in terms of an entire season, though)]

RPGs, though, aren't the same beast. They're inherently free-roaming, and any content added needs to fully integrate with all the existing content. That's a monumental consideration that needs to be borne in mind throughout development.

I don't get complaints about Hunted. It had good graphics, production values, cheesy but appropriate writing, nice animations. Combat mechanics felt a bit simplistic imo but I didn't have enough time with it. The game gets too much flak just because it was in average-to-good range.

I don't expect Wasteland 2 to be a masterpiece either.

I assume you didn't play Hunted in local co-op on console and I can't speak for a PC version. Co-op on PS3 was the only reason I even tried it, the performance, mechanics, and controls overall were bad enough that I simply had to stop after an hour or so.

First time I've heard of this, too. Be weary of a person who uses the term "everyone."

Yes, everyone is a broad term and a generalization, but we have people in this very thread saying they would remove their donation, plus the Kickstarter totals drop after these things have hit their goal.

Top Bottom