• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

Almighty

Should I just donate now or is it worth holding off for the 1.5 million mark to be reached?
I need a mac osx version :(

If you plan to donate might as well do it now. The money doesn't get taken out til it hits the deadline. So if a Mac version is what you want/need if it doesn't look like it will hit that 1.5 million mark you can just withdraw your donation before that date.

Based on how its going I am pretty sure it will hit at least 1.5 though.

You get to place a personalized collectible artifact in our world and write its backstory! It could be anything from an engagement ring to a teddy bear. We will have 200 of these rare and semi rare items that can be found throughout the Wasteland 2 world. When collected, all players will learn about the personal touch that you added to the world. You'll also receive a signed Collector's Edition, boxed version and 10 digital copies of the game to do what you'd like with, in addition to a lv4 Desert Ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible. (This does not include NPC/Weapon/Location as well)

$2500x3

so much for that blood sausage eh. :)

Wasteland 2 is going to be littered with all these "bonuses" I hope they're integrated well, and don't stick out too much.

zkylon

zkylewd
and another note about the engine.

UNITY is also available.
Unity can be later "easily" ported to iOS and Android, so it would fit in the grander scheme of things nicely.

Everything seems to indicate they'll go 3D, right? I mean, why wouldn't they? They have over a million dollars, one year and a half of planned development with a lot of the pre-production already done and the game could take good advantage of it.

On the other hand, making 3D assets takes forever while drawing is a lot faster...

The excitement is strong in this one...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It really depends on how they generate their 2d assets.

I think the easiest thing would be to go ToEE style and do hand painted backgrounds with 3d models for the characters.

duckroll

If you want your game to look like pixel-art or a cartoon, those art styles would make it easier to just get 2D artists to draw sprites and backgrounds rather than to create 3D assets to attempt to approximate those styles.

On the other hand, the sort of genre we're talking about here generally uses 3D artform to begin with. Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Planescape, etc used pre-rendered backgrounds and character sprites, and the look is meant to be more realistic anyway. As such, there is basically zero benefit in today's day and age to make a game like that in actual 2D. The only benefit would be if they wanted to make it really, really detailed while running on basically any hardware available today. Then in that case they might want to consider retaining a 2D engine.

It really depends on how they generate their 2d assets.

I think the easiest thing would be to go ToEE style and do hand painted backgrounds with 3d models for the characters.

Huh? ToEE uses pre-rendered backgrounds like any other game of this sort.

verbatimo

Wasteland 2 Interview

http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/107335-wasteland-2-interview.html

Best part:
GB: Unfortunately, role-playing games have lost much of their original identity in recent years, thanks in part to the popularity of first-person action RPGs. How do you convince a newer or younger RPG fan who has grown accustomed to the action-focused titles to give Wasteland 2 a shot?

Brian: Well here is the beauty of fan funding... we don't have to convince some younger RPG player of anything. I am making this game for the wonderful fans who put their money behind us and not some nebulous group of new people. Let's make the game they all expect and let the chips fall where they may. There is just no way I'm going to consider anything that could let down the core.

I guess I'm never going to understand the obsession with publishers who have consciously rejected old customers and fans in the hope of new customers, when they are doing sequels for the "masses" even though'd already pretty solid, and a wide fan base.

Durante

I guess I'm never going to understand the obsession with publishers who have consciously rejected old customers and fans in the hope of new customers, when they are doing sequels for the "masses" even though'd already pretty solid, and a wide fan base.
It's capitalism. It's not enough to make sustainable profit and revenue, you need to keep increasing both.

robin2

I don't see why would anybody want this since they can do backgrounds of the same quality but not prerendered on any modest modern PC.
With 2M budget? I don't know.
Also budget 3D almost always looks worse than 2D in my eyes.

For example Silent Storm vs Planescape: Torment.. the latter looks so "detailed" in comparison.
There are pro and cons obviously and I'm not saying Silent Storm looks bad at all, but I think that for a turn-based+isometric game, the advantages of (budget) 3D become less important against the greater beauty (imo of course) of that 2D style.

(And the cartoony/painted style that several games use to get around the "low detail issue" issue of budget 3D, seems to me inappropriate for this game, so...).

Wiktor

With 2M budget? I don't know.
Also budget 3D almost always looks worse than 2D in my eyes.

For example Silent Storm vs Planescape: Torment.. the latter looks so "detailed" in comparison.
There are pro and cons obviously and I'm not saying Silent Storm looks bad at all, but I think that for a turn-based+isometric game, the advantages of 3D become less important against the greater beauty (imo of course) of that 2D style.

Those pre-renderede backgrounds would still have to be made in 3D first, so they would at the very best cost the same as real-time 3D ones and most likely they would end up making project far more expensive.

Sinatar

Infinity engine backgrounds were painted not 3d renders.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/bg2fiveyearanniversary.php

James Ohlen said:
James: The Infinity Engine was a great engine for the Baldur's Gate Series, and we look back on it fondly. It managed to more or less bypass the issue of 3D graphics altogether (other than limited exceptions like 3D spell effects, for example) in favor of beautiful hand-painted backgrounds.

James Ohlen said:
The Infinity Engine neatly bypassed this struggle and significantly increased the lifetime of the engine by tying the primary type of art in the game (the adventure areas) into 2D paintings rather than 3D models. A painting looks good or bad depending on its quality and age has nothing to do with it.

Radogol

Those pre-renderede backgrounds would still have to be made in 3D first, so they would at the very best cost the same as real-time 3D ones and most likely they would end up making project far more expensive.

I assume a much higher level of detail for a similar price could be achieved if the backgrounds were hand-painted as opposed to modeled and pre-rendered, but that would make the game drastically less scalable.

Besides, robin2 mentioned that he doesn't think a hand-painted look would fit Wasteland, although I wonder why he feels that way.

I believe they were touched-up renders.

If I had my way, it'd be 2D tiled-based, just like the old game, but obviously updated like crazy.

Tiles are always useful from the developers' perspective, but I can't see how going that way will benefit the visuals. Might make the game more moddable, though.

robin2

I think you don't put an high detail model "as is" ingame, there is work to do in that case too. So I don't know which one ends up costing more.

Besides, robin2 mentioned that he doesn't think a hand-painted look would fit Wasteland, although I wonder why he feels that way.
For "painted" I intend King's Bounty style.

About the "a hand-painted look wouldn't fit Wasteland", it's purely a matter of my personal taste obviously.

Wiktor

Do you have a link to that? Because they sure do like reglular low-poly renders and I would have to wonder what the hell would they make artists recreate computerized 3D style by hand.

szaromir

Banned
It's tracking behind Double Fine's campaign, and that only reached 3.3 million. I don't think that's an easy goal here. I'll say about 2.5 million seems more likely.

Each new kickstarter campaign aimed to bring back an oldschool game will be met with smaller and smaller enthusiasm. I would prefer if they'd be able to finance BG3 from the sales of BG1/2 Extended Editions personally, people will quickly become tired of the various initiatives and soon-ish devs won't be able to raise $1M+ anymore.

Wiktor

The link is in the post.

I don't believe it. Maybe they just meant pre-rendered and then painted upon ? Because otherwise I have no clue why they would make their backgrounds looks like simple 3D renders if they could go for the detail hand painted images allow.

duckroll

http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/bg2fiveyearanniversary.php

I want to believe it, but my eyes tell me otherwise:

NolXe.jpg

paZV8.jpg

Sinatar

I don't believe it. Maybe they just meant pre-rendered and then painted upon ? Because otherwise I have no clue why they would make their backgrounds looks like simple 3D renders if they could go for the detail hand painted images allow.

James Ohlen was the lead designer on BG1 and 2. I'll take his word over your lack of belief.

EDIT: To clarify, the actual texture of the backgrounds is painted on and layed over a plain 3d mesh.

iZtiZIaBc5sNi.jpg

ibdymIRBjmXMjo.jpg

So 3d elements are used to give it depth, but all the art on the mesh is painted.

szaromir

Banned

Yeah, the backgrounds are definitely prerendered with some details painted on top of prerendered imagery.

Wiktor

James Ohlen was the lead designer on BG1 and 2. I'll take his word over your lack of belief.

I think you've misunderstood him. It seems by 3D he means just real-time 3D.

EDIT: Saw your edit, makes sense, but you've just proved there weren't fully hand painted. And that's icewind dale, which always had far more hand-painted look than Baldurs Gate did, so BioWare propably did less touching up than Black Isle did.

3D engines now can probably pull off that BG mesh real time active - plus look better.

its everything else (details) etc that ... will look dubious. Here's hoping the do the world justice.

duckroll

Textures can be hand painted or digitally painted, or whatever. They're just 2D images. The fact remains that the backgrounds were 3D.

Decado

Each new kickstarter campaign aimed to bring back an oldschool game will be met with smaller and smaller enthusiasm. I would prefer if they'd be able to finance BG3 from the sales of BG1/2 Extended Editions personally, people will quickly become tired of the various initiatives and soon-ish devs won't be able to raise $1M+ anymore.
I agree, to an extent, but I think a lot will depend on the talent/clout behind the kickstarter. It makes total sense that Double Fine would be able to generate more than inXile, which haven't developed a single high quality game in their studio's life. The only reason it is doing as well as it is, is because they haven't tried and failed at a hardcore RPG and the pedigree at the studio is pretty good for that type of game.

Oh, and it'll depend on how these kickstarters turn out.

I think choplifterHD is meant to be really good. I'm not really gaming very these days but I kind of want to buy it now that I know its them.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/choplifter-hd

Hunted sounds like a hot mess but I never even heard of inXILE prior to this kickstarter; nor read any thread on the game. I can't imagine it being any worse than ShadowsoftheDamned (which is the last game I played and gave up on; watched the IGN+gamespot review)

The Bard's Tale (PC/Xbox/PS2) (2004)
Line Rider (2008) (Flash/Silverlight/DS/Wii/iOS)
HEI$T (2010) (cancelled)
Hunted: The Demon's Forge (2011) (Playstation 3, XBOX 360, PC)
Choplifter HD (2012) (Playstation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, PC)
Wasteland 2 (2013) (PC)

DaBuddaDa

Hunted sounds like a hot mess...

Hunted is a fine example of a game not given the amount of funding and time for it to flesh out gameplay systems and add polish. Bethesda rushed it out before it was ready and sent it to die. I think the underlying ideas in Hunted had tons of potential. I think inXile is a talented group that can never get the publisher backing they need to truly make what they're capable of.

Decado

I think choplifterHD is meant to be really good. I'm not really gaming very these days but I kind of want to buy it now that I know its them.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/choplifter-hd

Hunted sounds like a hot mess but I never even heard of inXILE prior to this kickstarter; nor read any thread on the game. I can't imagine it being any worse than ShadowsoftheDamned (which is the last game I played and gave up on; watched the IGN+gamespot review)

The Bard's Tale (PC/Xbox/PS2) (2004)
Line Rider (2008) (Flash/Silverlight/DS/Wii/iOS)
HEI$T (2010) (cancelled)
Hunted: The Demon's Forge (2011) (Playstation 3, XBOX 360, PC)
Choplifter HD (2012) (Playstation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, PC)
Wasteland 2 (2013) (PC)
I'm sure it was meant to be good, it just didn't turn out that way. Much like all their other games. Hopefully Wasteland 2 won't share the same fate.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Bard's Tale shows that they can make a good RPG. That game, while not an all-timer, is very much a competent and fun RPG. I've always said it's underrated.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I don't get complaints about Hunted. It had good graphics, production values, cheesy but appropriate writing, nice animations. Combat mechanics felt a bit simplistic imo but I didn't have enough time with it. The game gets too much flak just because it was in average-to-good range.

I don't expect Wasteland 2 to be a masterpiece either.

Aaron

Hunted is a fine example of a game not given the amount of funding and time for it to flesh out gameplay systems and add polish. Bethesda rushed it out before it was ready and sent it to die. I think the underlying ideas in Hunted had tons of potential. I think inXile is a talented group that can never get the publisher backing they need to truly make what they're capable of.
I agree. Hunted is a good game at the core. It suffers mostly from a lack of content. If it had more money to flesh out its systems it would have been pretty great.

Wiktor

I think it's hilarious it's inXile is the company that's ressurecting this old school RPG, because when Hunted was being releaed their president (Matt Findley) said that all those old turn based RPGs were more of a detrour caused by weak technology, while in reality all those games wantes was to be action games :D

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I think it's hilarious it's inXile is the company that's ressurecting this old school RPG, because when Hunted was being releaed their president (Matt Findley) said that all those old turn based RPGs were more of a detrour caused by weak technology, while in reality all those games wantes was to be action games :D

yes, this quote is funny. At least not Fargo has said this, lol.

also I believe this was not their president but some designer... I don't remember, I posted a link to the interview.

Top Bottom