• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

OTIX

Pledged $65. Never played the first one but the world needs more games in this genre.

Would pledge the shit out of a new space sim.

Zeliard

Already hit 11% of their original goal, and nearly 7% of the ideal 1.5 mill goal in just a few hours.

Ducky we need more of your pessimism elsewhere, it's a good luck charm. :p

Jonnyram

When you guys talk about Space Sims, are you talking about Millennium 2.2 / Deuteros-type sims? If so, I would totally be on board for that too.

Can anybody give a rough estimate of what they think the specs will be? I use a laptop for all my PC games. I can't run Hard Reset or Anomaly Warzone Earth if that makes a difference.

ibwScB7mw7dNzH.JPG

https://twitter.com/#!/BrianFargo

just gonna leave this here :)

wwm0nkey

Ok so we are going to be getting a ShadowRun, Mechwarrior and BattleTech game and Wasteland 2?

All is right with the world.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Well i was wrong. In the other thread i was unsure of how many people would be onboard for a Wasteland sequel. im ecstatic to see the initial momentum!

duckroll

Well i was wrong. In the other thread i was unsure of how many people would be onboard for a Wasteland sequel. im ecstatic to see the initial momentum!

I think this is one of those situations where everyone who is pessimistic and yet invested in this debate actually hopes we are wrong.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm cool with backing this. They seem to have things planned out much better than the cult of personality funds (Doublefine, Idle Thumbs).

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I think this is one of those situations where everyone who is pessimistic and yet invested in this debate actually hopes we are wrong.
Thats true.

Also i think that this provides great hope for a lot of "dead" game types. If these kickstarter projects are successful it shows that niche genres and games require budgets that are within the realm of possibility as opposed to double-digit million dollar productions that are associated with gaming today. Reminds me of when Feargus Urquhart stated in an interview that Obsidian could do an old-school isometric game in the style of the IE games for a million or two. i was a little surprised at that then and now Brian Fargos requirements for a fleshed out Wasteland 2.

Zeliard

Thats true. i also think that this provides great hope for a lot of "dead" game types. If these kickstarter projects are successful it shows that niche genres and games require budgets that are within the realm of possibility as opposed to double-digit million dollar productions that are associated with gaming today. Reminds me of when Feargus Urquhart stated in an interview that Obsidian could do an old-school isometric game in the style of the IE games for a million or two.

Fellas at Obsidian have got to be keeping a seriously close eye on this.

Brian Fargo ‏ @BrianFargo

We haven't even sent the press release out this morning! Most of you discovered it live before I could wake up. ;)

so... this should hit the news sites later today. should be great for momentum once it gets coverage

@MossRC More truth to those publishers meetings than you would believe.

lol

dionysus

Yaldog
Gave em $75. I know nothing about wasteland but the developer pedigree makes me drool and the statement that Fallout 1 was supposed to be Wasteland 2 is added bonus. Stackpole not so much though, but his novels are better than those Bioware writers'.

I am probably done with Kickstarter (with the exception of an Obsidian kickstarter) until I see some results from one of these projects. Healthy skepticism and all. Accountability is lacking in this funding model.

Zeliard

No but you have to keep in mind Schafer's Twitter has 70k followers.

This also hasn't really hit the news yet. Much of West Coast is only recently waking up, and gaming websites probably don't have anything about it yet. Should see a nice uptick later in the day.

fanboi

Banned
Can I start a Kickstarter about a site that founds, via its members, other projects that people want to do?!

KICKCEPTION

Top Bottom