• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

I gather there's some rights issues involved, not sure exactly what it entails. Still, GoG have both EA and Interplay, so they're off on the right bat.

EA transferred the rights to Konami, who wanted the name for an unrelated game which ended up being canceled. Inxle bought all the rights from Konami.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
These things always have a severe pivot point where the funding slows down to a trickle until the very end. They're incredibly front-loaded. The question is when is that pivot going to occur? I wouldn't be too sure of its funding yet.

I agree but I think they will reach this point at 400-500 000k in 2 days or so and then they will have the whole month + spike in the end.

mclem

Since I tagged it a few times in the DF thread: Note that you should add $15 for international shipping of any physical goodies in your reward tier; that information's buried in the FAQ.

Worth adding that nugget to the OP?

They're the better games too...

I dunno, I would say all of the Fallout games new and old are pretty flawed. The best thing I can say is that you cannot really get anything like the older Fallout games really (although NV tries alot harder than 3 to be closer to the older games). The combat in both the new and old ones is kind of bad. Given that Wasteland is more party based maybe this game will have a bit more strategy going on than the F1/F2 games.

Drazgul

I dunno, I would say all of the Fallout games new and old are pretty flawed. The combat in both the new and old ones is kind of bad. Given that Wasteland is more party based maybe this game will have a bit more strategy going on than the F1/F2 games.

Bad how? I can understand if you aren't into turn-based in general, but I always found the combat in FO1/2 fun - just needed to make sure you killed off those annoying civilians first that walked around too slowly. Crouch/prone could've been good additions, but guess they're too badass for that in the post-apocalypse - it's a stand-off until only one is left standing!

Gave 'em 100 buckaroos, for now - wish I'd have the money for the 1k pledge, always wanted to shoot myself in a game.

kswiston

Broke $150k

EDIT: Momentum has picked up since this morning. Looking good for over $500k in 24 hours. Would be awesome if they reach their initial funding goal in 2-3 days.

Maxrunner

I dunno, I would say all of the Fallout games new and old are pretty flawed. The best thing I can say is that you cannot really get anything like the older Fallout games really (although NV tries alot harder than 3 to be closer to the older games). The combat in both the new and old ones is kind of bad. Given that Wasteland is more party based maybe this game will have a bit more strategy going on than the F1/F2 games.

what?? the combat in fallout 2 is fantastic...

mclem

As I realise now (but hadn't really twigged then): Fallout combat if you go all-out Super Sledge is... a bit clunky.

Next time 'round, I'm breakin' out the guns.

(I didn't make that mistake in FO3!)

Bad how? I can understand if you aren't into turn-based in general, but I always found the combat in FO1/2 fun - just needed to make sure you killed off those annoying civilians first that walked around too slowly. Crouch/prone could've been good additions, but guess they're too badass for that in the post-apocalypse - it's a stand-off until only one is left standing!

I like like, good turn based combat. The turn based combat in the Fallout games involves minimal strategy. Occasionally a quirk of the combat will create a neat instance (like mutants heavy weapon-ing their own teammates) but mostly the combat boils down to "shoot enemy (maybe in head while your at it)" with minimal regard to positioning. For every cool situation that forced you to do some outside of the box things would be 50 times when I just stand around doing sniper rifle head shots from close range (while being nearly invulnerable due to how crazy the armor is in that game - once you get power armor 90% of the enemies in the game go from being able to damage you to you being invulnerable).

Edit: Not to say F3/NV are any better in this regard, the combat there is pretty awful too.

150k now. Nice.

Mr Fargo, I'm going to pledge 100$ which is almost 1/3 of my monthly income here. I believe in you and the idea you are trying to accomplish. Please make it happen and make an awesome game :) And show those publishing hypocrites what we REALLY want to play. :) Good luck!

oh wow.

how did the original wasteland play like??fallout???

A full team of four player(-created or pre-rolled) Ranger characters to start with and you can hire up to three NPCs into your party at any given time in addition. There is potential for SRPG-like battles, where you can split your party to flank enemies, move into position for close combat or ranged combat or to move out of an attacker's range. Also, you separate (temporarily) to handle conversations/shopping/NPC interaction/skill usage/and for tactical choices (like getting one person with the needed doctor skills to rush individually to save someone not currently inside of the party). The game can also easily be played rather simply (like the old turn-based CRPGs and console RPGs) when there is no need to individually move characters around the world map and instead keep them a single unit. So, you can move as a single party (with a full crew of seven characters) during combat or exploration in the world as the combat takes place on the same map.

Random battles. Also, enemies that run from a fight, just as you can, are still tracked and can return (time and time again, sometimes) and hunt you down. When you run, you don't automatically resolve combat with those enemies just disappearing, they are right there ready to reengage. As well, combat and using skills is something that you can invoke on your own with Encounter mode. The Encounter mode is the game's universal access to skills and attributes which can be directly acted upon in the game world, like using a character's STR(ength) level to break a door down or acrobat skill to leap up onto tables or use metallurgy enhance your character's perception to identify and then take various metals to use or sell.

Death in the original was permadeath and the game auto-saved often (changing locations, and radioing in for promotions(leveling), as standard. No multiple saves state support in that game, too. However, the game advertised danger pretty well and gave you an awesome health and recovery system that added to the tension as well as giving you a fighting chance to save characters from permanent retirement. If you do lose one or more of the four Rangers in your party, you can visit the starting location and roll new but green recruits.

Many things otherwise work much like Fallout in terms of open endedness and real role-playing sensibilities that focus on user style of play and loads of options in situations to support that.

Zeliard

NV was from Obsidian right???I really dislike the style of the 3d fallout versions....

They made a great game with what they had to work with. Something closer to Van Buren would have been preferable but that's the type of game that would have to be Kickstarted nowadays, sadly.

Tim-E

Honestly, if any big old school PC name comes out and does one of these to return to the glory days of the PC, then I'll likely throw money at anything they put up. ARE YOU WATCHING, OBSIDIAN?

wasteland also had climbing skill rolls. which i bumped way up in my attempts to climb those hills. It allowed you to enter spaces otherwise not accesible. It was some cool shit for its time.. being othogonal/2D as it was.

wl.png

kickass!

wl_013.png

wl_058.png

http://www.spectaclerock.com/2011/08/16/revisiting-the-wasteland-part-i/

its like ULTIMA old. :) ahhh

volturnus

Banned
Honestly, if any big old school PC name comes out and does one of these to return to the glory days of the PC, then I'll likely throw money at anything they put up. ARE YOU WATCHING, OBSIDIAN?
They'll kickstart something soon enough, but I guess they're still deciding the theme.
Chris Avellone said last year that they'd try to create a new IP in digital form, and this is as good a chance as any they could have right now.
I'm hoping for something in the sci-fi camp..

a cool old school RPG with scifi ribbings thats not FPS xcom would be great. I hope its a blend of styles... maybe forbidden planetish if they're going to able to do something crazy outside of having to pitch it for "sales". The best thing about KS is that it facilitates what would otherwise not be made.

volturnus

Banned
a cool old school RPG with scifi ribbings thats not FPS xcom would be great. I hope its a blend of styles... maybe forbidden planetish if they're going to able to do something crazy outside of having to pitch it for "sales". The best thing about KS is that it facilitates what would otherwise not be made.
That and the fact that it comes with no strings attached. Just look at what happened to KotOR II and DS3, Obsidian had little creative freedom and the result was could-have-been-amazing games that are still great, but should've been much more.

zkylon

zkylewd
Called it was gonna be on a tuesday!

173k funded, so glad this had such a great response already. I think I'm gonna go for the $50 pledge, though the $15 for the shipping is a little too much.

ParityBit

General Kickstarter Question:

So lets say in this example, they get the $900,000 and start the project. my money goes to them. How are they held to actually releasing a product? I am curious on how it works in general with Kickstarter.

I think I am going for the $100

mclem

172k already. This is looking good.

My gut feeling is that it'll hit half a million in a day or so then slow down somewhat. It'll keep slowly ticking up, though, and be within reach of targets long before the actual deadline, particularly if they keep renegotiating tier rewards.

(Indeed, it does read a bit like they blew their load with tier rewards right from the outset, drip-feeding them would allow small bursts of extra promotion. Unless, of course, there's yet *more* they're considering, waiting for the right moment...)

Violet_0

Banned
General Kickstarter Question:

So lets say in this example, they get the $900,000 and start the project. my money goes to them. How are they held to actually releasing a product? I am curious on how it works in general with Kickstarter.

I think I am going for the $100

You pretty much invest your money and good faith into the project. Kickstarter takes no responsibilities for it.

Top Bottom