• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

"Here’s a big, bouncy ball of unexpected good news for you. Brian Fargo and his studio inXile Entertainment are, as you well know, working on a sequel to the seminal RPG Wasteland, and have successfully Kickstarted it to the tune of $1.6 million. Since exceeding their initial target of $900,000, they’ve been able to add Mac and Linux versions to their masterplan for the post-nuclear roleplaying game. But that’s not all. They’ve just been in touch to say that, if they can reach $2.1 million during the 17 days remaining on the funding schedule, they’ll be bringing in Obisidian Entertainment, including Planescape: Torment mastermind Chris Avellone, to help them make the game."

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...lop-wasteland-2-on-one-condition/#more-102171

Exciting indeed!

wr5.jpg
indeed!
Gonna pony some more dough right away

mclem

2.1M was my prediction for their endpoint. Never have I wanted to be right - or wrong in the *good* direction - so much.

Hambone

shutup-and-take-my-money.jpg

As a huge Obsidian fan I support this...and will put my money where my mouth is, and actually support this.

duckroll

This is maybe the best ani gif I've ever seen. I need to see the real video for this. :lol

Over/Under on 2.1 million within 5 hours? Haha.

Once Fargo updates the actual Kickstarter to make it completely official, I expect it to hit 2.1 million very quickly.

mclem

EDIT: They need to do a new video with Fargo and Avellone broing out, that should net them like a billion kajillion dollars in pledges.
There was a brilliant video for DFA with Ron and Tim talking and remeniscing about point and click adventures. Something similar for CRPGs would be wonderful.

Wow, that is quite exciting indeed. I wish I had a shit ton of money so that I could pledge 10k+ to this now.

Did Fallout 2 cost more or less than Fallout 1?

Good question. I would assume that it was cheaper for a number of reasons.

They already had the engine done; they merely made some tweaks to it for Fallout 2.

Fallout had a much longer development time than Fallout 2. Fallout took 3 years or so to make, right? Fallout 2 was released exactly one year later, so I'm guessing it was developed in 10 months or so.

Lothars

Wow, that is quite exciting indeed. I wish I had a shit ton of money so that I could pledge 10k+ to this now.

Good question. I would assume that it was cheaper for a number of reasons.

They already had the engine done; they merely made some tweaks to it for Fallout 2.

Fallout had a much longer development time than Fallout 2. Fallout took 3 years or so to make, right? Fallout 2 was released exactly one year later, so I'm guessing it was developed in 10 months or so.
Has it ever been said how much Fallout 1 and 2 cost to be made?

I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

"Here’s a big, bouncy ball of unexpected good news for you. Brian Fargo and his studio inXile Entertainment are, as you well know, working on a sequel to the seminal RPG Wasteland, and have successfully Kickstarted it to the tune of $1.6 million. Since exceeding their initial target of $900,000, they’ve been able to add Mac and Linux versions to their masterplan for the post-nuclear roleplaying game. But that’s not all. They’ve just been in touch to say that, if they can reach $2.1 million during the 17 days remaining on the funding schedule, they’ll be bringing in Obisidian Entertainment, including Planescape: Torment mastermind Chris Avellone, to help them make the game."

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...lop-wasteland-2-on-one-condition/#more-102171

Exciting indeed!

Holy shit!
But that means Obsidian won't be doing their own kickstarter rpg anytime soon :(

Zeliard

Fallout 1 was in the ballpark of $3 million. Fallout 2 was a bigger game but likely cost less, since there were no issues during development and they already had the engine and many of the art assets up and running.

Exciting indeed!
WAT

We need a title change or a new thread or something, this is huge!

edit: I see there already is one. Slow to wake up today.

NichM

Banned
Oh damn. Okay, the only thing stopping me now is my possibly inaccurate impression of the original--I thought it was one of those SUPER hardcore games where if you made one mistake you died, which seemed like a big turnoff to me if the new game was going to be more of the same. Is it more forgiving than that? Is this a game you play instead of inch forward one mistake at a time?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Oh damn. Okay, the only thing stopping me now is my possibly inaccurate impression of the original--I thought it was one of those SUPER hardcore games where if you made one mistake you died, which seemed like a big turnoff to me if the new game was going to be more of the same. Is it more forgiving than that? Is this a game you play instead of inch forward one mistake at a time?

Wasteland wasn't that bad.

Top Bottom