• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

Famassu

How does this Kickstarter program work? I know a couple of studios who want to put their projects up. I looked on their website but didn't really see all the information they need. is ti only for professional studios or indie ones also? What do the contributors get out of it? If the studio I'm dealing with started one would they be able to create a topic about it on here or would that be considered advertising?
Anyone can put up projects, but especially small, unknown devs will need to put up a great info-page if they want to have any chance of getting funded. Concept art, perhaps preferably even some prototype footage, at the very least. And of course if they've never done anything, then I'd suggest they start with a small project that doesn't need 900k $$$, & build up fanbase from there.

What do contributors get? Well, they usually get the game if they donate enough money and if there are higher-tier stuff, they get whatever extra fluff the developers decide to offer them. They don't get any profits, if that's what you're pondering.

Its kind of crazy to think that 2 million dollars can fund a game like WL2 though - surely BF should be able to go to the bank to borrow the money for the next game and self publish; how you raise your revenue/capital to start the venture for BF+TS shouldn't be considered too great a risk if they do it right and don't misfire.

Thing is; digital distribution has factored quite greatly to this KS - a lot of those copies will be diitally delivered and that cut out retailer fees + pub fees..etc so the profit margin is better.

Of course; not everyone can self publish but some should be able to pull it off. I don't think 2 million in the scheme of things for a product like this is much money.

Anyone can put up projects, but especially small, unknown devs will need to put up a great info-page if they want to have any chance of getting funded. Concept art, perhaps preferably even some prototype footage, at the very least. And of course if they've never done anything, then I'd suggest they start with a small project that doesn't need 900k $$$, & build up fanbase from there.

What do contributors get? Well, they usually get the game if they donate enough money and if there are higher-tier stuff, they get whatever extra fluff the developers decide to offer them. They don't get any profits, if that's what you're pondering.

As a studio they haven't done anything yet but the project they have in mind would be about in the 900k range. Not sure if they should be bothered with it now, surely they won't them to get excited and it ends up failing them. The project idea they have is a digital game, small enough not to be over a million. Will definitely have a word with them and see if it is worth the risk.

I would like to add that the individuals who work in the studio have worked for different companies thou.

Famassu

As a studio they haven't done anything yet but the project they have in mind would be about in the 900k range. Not sure if they should be bothered with it now, surely they won't them to get excited and it ends up failing them. The project idea they have is a digital game, small enough not to be over a million. Will definitely have a word with them and see if it is worth the risk.

I would like to add that the individuals who work in the studio have worked for different companies thou.
Ummhh.. 900k for an unproven developer will probably be impossible. Unless, of course, your friends are comparable to Avellone, Schafer & Fargo. :p

Ummhh.. 900k for an unproven developer will probably be impossible. Unless, of course, your friends are comparable to Avellone, Schafer & Fargo. :p

LOL

I'm not sure they are comparable to Schafer, but they are talented and will be receiving help from the lead programmer that worked on DMC3 for programming duties and soundtrack will be done by Tetsuya Shibata.

Ifrit

We're getting close :)

Hope we also get some wasteland 1 remake or something for people who haven't played it, and don't miss out on anything

LOL

I'm not sure they are comparable to Schafer, but they are talented and will be receiving help from the lead programmer that worked on DMC3 for programming duties and soundtrack will be done by Tetsuya Shibata.

Christian Allen, who has worked on Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and Halo Reach, couldn't even get $200k for a tactical shooter.

I'm sorry to say, but the DMC3 lead programmer and Tetsuya Shibata won't bring in $900k.

Sentenza

Christian Allen, who has worked on Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and Halo Reach, couldn't even get $200k for a tactical shooter.
Well, to be fair since he revamped his Kickstarter things improved a lot:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/355932838/crowdsourced-hardcore-tactical-shooter

But generally speaking I agree with you; 900k it's aiming quite right if you aren't a big name already.
Unless they have something really outstanding (and very appealing) to show off... And even in that case that would be a hard goal to reach.

LOL

I say go for it, but don't aim too high. Fargo even asking for $900k was a risk. Your World is at $1.1M, and nobody is contributing to that (unknown non-dev, crappy, crappy info page).

It sounds like you need to read up on Kickstarter. GAF is not going to answer all your questions for you.

The most successful (and only?) GAFStarter to date was Feep's Sequence:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jwishnov/sequence-a-rhythm-roleplaying-game?ref=live

Hope we also get some wasteland 1 remake or something for people who haven't played it, and don't miss out on anything

It's called Wasteland 2.

Seriously. A remake of an Apple 2 game is basically going to look and feel different enough.

duckroll

Warning: Thread getting derailed. I'm pretty sure there's actually a general Kickstarter thread here where you can discuss such things. >_<

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I got my Paypal invoice but other than that, I have no other way to check on the website or the Kickstarter if I'm actually a contributor?

I'm upped my order from 15 to 50 yesterday and definitely want to make sure I'm in on this.

There really isn't much to discuss in this thread; what with the breakoff avellon thread. This thread stagnated for days while we waited for money to climb and for BF to update the KS page.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I cancelled my pledge through the site before going through their website and getting it via PP there. I know I get a DD and retail copy but what are you saying by getting 2 copies? Maybe I will email them just to get some clarity on this.

Zeliard

I cancelled my pledge through the site before going through their website and getting it via PP there. I know I get a DD and retail copy but what are you saying by getting 2 copies? Maybe I will email them just to get some clarity on this.

Naw I just thought you had paid for it twice through Paypal or something. But you should be good.

Violet_0

Banned
on one hand, Avellone working on Wasteland 2 is great news

on the other hand, I was really hoping (still am) that Obsidian starts their own damn Kickstarter RPG!

on the other hand, I was really hoping (still am) that Obsidian starts their own damn Kickstarter RPG!

Avellone is a writer, in games that job is the first to be finished (w/ small bits of touch up here and there), it's more then possible for him to work on two or more games at once.

Kurtofan

They're not going to start their kickstarter while another old school RPG game is having one.
That would be detrimental to both projects.

Zeliard

RPS needs to put up that interview with Fargo they mentioned in the Obsidian/WL2 piece, stat. He apparently further clarifies what Obsidian & Avellone will do. Could include some confirmation of Onyx usage.

and lol duckroll, is it safe to say you've been burned by April Fools jokes in the past? :p

RPS needs to put up that interview with Fargo they mentioned in the Obsidian/WL2 piece, stat. He apparently further clarifies what Obsidian & Avellone will do. Could include some confirmation of Onyx usage.

Would like to see this. Those tools could really cut down on development time. Not just the engine (which looks very appropriate going off Dungeon Siege 3) but the dialog tools and such.

Varna

Wish they would mail out some certificate or something. I would proudly hang it on my wall. Yes, I was part of the great RPG revival of 2013.

duckroll

Old school means no voice acting(or minimal) right?Just asking.

That's the general intention. I think depending on how much more they raise there could be more or less voice samples in the game, but it's not going to be a full-voiced game no matter what.

Bentendo

Have they indicated what the game is going to look like? By that I mean do we know if it'll look retro or more modern? Just curious.

Polk

It's almost certainly going to be isometric and will probably run off of Obsidian's Onyx engine. So a modern take on a classic design.

Well if they really want to make Mac/Linux versions of the game I'm sure there is better engine to do that (unity? ogre? other proprietary engine).

Eusis

That's the general intention. I think depending on how much more they raise there could be more or less voice samples in the game, but it's not going to be a full-voiced game no matter what.
I'd kind of like it if they could do it on the level of Fallout 1 or something, where a few of the more important characters talk. But yeah, heavy voice acting usually limits what you can do with writing and possibly even scripting, plus I honestly do worry about it being as prevalent as it is in games these days.

Kurtofan

I see thanks.I kind of hope they give it the "Fallout" treatment with major NPCs/conversations are voiced.

stabwound

Neo Member
I don't think they have a big enough budget to do a ton of voicing. I think, though, that certain things will be narrated. I can't find the Brian Fargo quote, but that was heavily implied. I'm imagining something like Bastion, but for not nearly as often and only for certain things.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't think they have a big enough budget to do a ton of voicing. I think, though, that certain things will be narrated. I can't find the Brian Fargo quote, but that was heavily implied. I'm imagining something like Bastion, but for not nearly as often and only for certain things.
I think you might be mistaking it with text narration ala Fallout.

I'd like voices for the main cast or at least some random banter (like in Planescape), but I can live without.

Zeliard

Greetings/important lines from critical NPCs/party, inter-party banter, and voice feedback when party members are selected/ordered - that should be the total extent of the voice acting, Torment-style. That gives you more than enough to go on as far as getting a sense of what the major characters sound like, and that will imbue the rest of their text with their respective voices. It really doesn't need any more than that, especially if the dialogue is written well.

Like with awesome character descriptions and awesome individualistic dialogue styles that really convey what each character is like, even down to the most minor NPC.

Basically just have Chris Avellone write everything is what I'm saying. Put him in a hotel room, give him lots of coffee, and lock the door so he can't leave.

Top Bottom