• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
There are 14 days to go, and I think they'll hit 2.1 million or at least be very close in about one week. That's leaves an entire week of last minute hype, depending on what Fargo does. If it's hovering around 2.3-2.4 million by the last day, it'll probably be bumped to 2.5 million or so.

Thats my guess as well, 22k-25k/day would mean reaching it around there:
ibfR37UPVBFnZ2.png

And I'd still say that it would go a long way if he posted more on the KS page. His Interviews for example or the fact that Chris is signing the boxed editions too.

Sajjaja

I'm still debating whether or not I should buy it or not... I haven't played a game like it, the closest thing being Fallout 1/2. I'm not sure that I would play it, but I feel obligated as a gamer to contribute to something like this to help send a message to publishers and developers.

I guess the thing that is holding me back is the lack of something tangible as of right now. No art, or anything, just a concept. It's something I'd never normally do.

Any of you guys wanna sell me on it?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So we're way pass of sales talk is all about funding talk now.
My project gots moar fundz than yourz!

Gilden Tide Kickstarter (US Fighting Game) had such a bad timing.

scy

I'm kind of curious to see what kind of post-release sales it actually gets. Same for any other Kickstarter funded game, really.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm still debating whether or not I should buy it or not... I haven't played a game like it, the closest thing being Fallout 1/2. I'm not sure that I would play it, but I feel obligated as a gamer to contribute to something like this to help send a message to publishers and developers.

I guess the thing that is holding me back is the lack of something tangible as of right now. No art, or anything, just a concept. It's something I'd never normally do.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35979806&postcount=22

If you don't feel convinced about the project I think it's better if you don't donate (and I say that as a backer whose wallet is gonna cry for this!). Personally, I expect the team to make a good game, and I like the feeling of "making a statement to the industry by voting with my wallet", but.. well, money's involved, and yeah, they're essentially asking you to back them with nothing more than a concept and a group of people assembled.

If you're not really convinced by it you might just end up getting anxious or feeling burned if the project doesn't satisfy your expectations when it comes out.

Lancehead

I never played Wasteland but I donated to the project. Because it's chance to have something in the vein of Fallout 1&2. I love New Vegas but I think turn based games have a place in the market.

If I weren't so interested in that type of experience, I would hesitate to commit any money without some solid game material to see. Something which Wasteland 2 is currently lacking.

Zeliard

I doubt we're gonna see anything too concrete about the game before the pledge drive ends. Fargo is probably worried about a backlash from people jumping the gun on early material, given how his suggestion regarding the "social" elements was received.

Sajjaja

If you're not really convinced by it you might just end up getting anxious or feeling burned if the project doesn't satisfy your expectations when it comes out.

The thing is, I also have no idea what to expect of it. They've been so vague in describing what it will be that I honestly have no clue what direction they would go into, other than possibly something like a story driven SWAT 1 game.

Lancehead

The thing is, I also have no idea what to expect of it. They've been so vague in describing what it will be that I honestly have no clue what direction they would go into, other than possibly something like a story driven SWAT 1 game.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it sees like Fargo is only concerned about those who liked Wasteland, and Fallout 1&2 etc. There doesn't seem to be much of an effort to reach out to an audience who have little experience with such games.

Mmmh... I don't have much experience with the SWAT games, but I think taking a look at some Let's Play of the original, Fallout Tactics and Jagged Alliance should give you a rough idea. From what Fargo has said so far, they're definitely leaning towards the latter two in terms of combat mechanics, rather than the original menu-driven combat, but the skill-based will be similar. He also promised that before the end of Kickstarter they'll publish the Vision document of the game which should offer the 'broad strokes' vision of what they want to do with the design plus some examples. No idea if they're planning to offer mock-ups or so too, though I certainly hope so.

Zeliard

Think Fallout 1/2 but party-based, more dangerous, and potentially even more open-ended.

54-46!

For reference, how much does a game like Fallout 3 or New Vegas cost to develop? (that is, excluding marketing and so forth)

Eusis

They're open world games, though Fallout 3 probably cost more on the basis of being an entirely new game and not building off an established framework (well, as much of an established framework) as New Vegas did.

Zeliard

For reference, how much does a game like Fallout 3 or New Vegas cost to develop? (that is, excluding marketing and so forth)

A significant amount. Those games have larger teams, longer production cycles, and professional screen actors coming in to do voice work, and thus much larger budgets than anything that would probably be ever be feasible through something like Kickstarter. That's when you gotta shake hands with the devil and get some publisher funding.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Probably somewhere in the neighbourhood of 25-30 million.

Completely different ballpark though. I found the number for Fallout 2 more interesting, 3 Million. Even though its a different time with different set of wages, that isnt too far off.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I found the number for Fallout 2 more interesting, 3 Million. Even though its a different time with different set of wages, that isnt too far off.
Three million in 1998 (game was released in early 1999) would be about 4.2 million today with inflation. At 2.1 million Wasteland 2 will have about half the budget of Fallout 2. Of course how games were made then and how they're made today are not the same...

Toma

Including the Paypal funds we are down to 145k missing from the 2,1M goal. That means we could hit the goal at the end of the 10th of april with a daily funding of 20,7k (which means an hourly funding of 0,87k). Might be even closer to the 9th of april if they manage to get a daily funding of 24,2k (~1k/hour).

Guys, its looking good.

Three million in 1998 (game was released in early 1999) would be about 4.2 million today with inflation. At 2.1 million Wasteland 2 will have about half the budget of Fallout 2. Of course how games were made then and how they're made today are not the same...

Sure, but I'd still say thats not too far off for such a project created out of love for the brand (see Fargo not taking any money from the funding money for his own payment for example) instead of commercial viability reasons. I guess "not too far off" is a bit relative, but half the budget of Fallout 2 (which was a massive game in choice and scope) doesnt sound too bad to me.

Edit: I could very well live with a game half as big as Fallout 2, maybe with more open and diverse endings instead and the mod editor included/patched in post release.

Including the Paypal funds we are down to 145k missing from the 2,1M goal. That means we could hit the goal at the end of the 10th of april with a daily funding of 20,7k (which means an hourly funding of 0,87k). Might be even closer to the 9th of april if they manage to get a daily funding of 24,2k (~1k/hour).

Guys, its looking good.

Good game, internets, good game.

Eusis

I wouldn't be surprised if there was more funding lined up and the money from the Kickstarter's meant to be more like lighter fluid to get the fire started. Still, Fallout 1 and 2 had some pretty big names for voice acting, cutting them alone might account for the disparity.

Also Fallout had a long development as it went from being Wasteland sequel, a GURPS rpg, and finally its own thing. Those changes were costly I imagine.

Card Boy

Banned
If the pub funds i have being involved in is anything to go by, expect a huge amount of people doing the last minute rush in the final 48 hours. This could possibly hit 2.8 to 3 million by the final day.

I have seen it happen with the AVGN Movie
I have seen it happen with the Shadow Era physical cards
I have seen it happen with the Double Fine Adventure.

If the pub funds i have being involved in is anything to go by, expect a huge amount of people doing the last minute rush in the final 48 hours. This could possibly hit 2.8 to 3 million by the final day.

You just know some Heavy Hitters are sitting on it.

Because they can.

They did some reworking on the upper tiers.
Now there are 200 $1000 slots, there's a new $2000 tier (with only 25 slots; rewards are the same as the "old" $2500 tier) and the $2500 is similar to the $2000 one, but, as a plus, has you as a game character.

Toma

It's barely making 1k in two hours now, I really hope it will pick up soon.

Its the slowest time of the day, and they still made 7,8k so far after 1/3 of the day. That would still put them at 22k/day, which is enough to hit the 2,1M goal on the 10th.

They did some reworking on the upper tiers.
Now there are 200 $1000 slots, there's a new $2000 tier (with only 25 slots; rewards are the same as the "old" $2500 tier) and the $2500 is similar to the $2000 one, but, as a plus, has you as a game character.

Why is that not mentioned on the Kickstarter page. Why why why.

Toma

Don't worry. right before the last minute someone will fund the rest. that's how it is.

Which rest? It will probably hit 2,1M at the 10th, that still leaves 6 days for more funding. I am not concerned about the 2,1M goal at all, but I want them to update their freaking page so that they greatly exceed their 2,1M goal. Its baffling that they fail to understand that fans just want to read SOME progress, may it be some Interviews or the rearranging of Tiers.

Toma

It's up on the KS page now, probably takes a while for it to be updated ;)

I meant as an Update in the Update tab so that people know that they changed something. I cant imagine that everyone following this project closely is checking the tiers every day (I don't). I think many people also dont know yet what Kickstarter allows to do, I mean even in this thread here we had countless questions whether they can rearrange tiers, still add new ones etc, because no one was really sure. People DO know that there are Updates on the project in the Update tab though, so they check that once in a while. They need to use it more.

You've got a point though, should have been more precise with my comment.

Toma

By the way, my guess is that we'll hit 2M tomorrow (Including Paypal funds), so the incentive to breach the 2M barrier will probably give a small boost as well.

Its safe to say that we end the day with at least 1,975,000 and the 2M incentive should be enough to kick tomorrows funding above 25k.

Toma

Wait.
What?

Some people just assume that because it was funded at the last minute, ignoring the last day Kickstarter effect and because they assume that real people cant surely be "dumb" enough to get such a "stupid" project funded.

Ignore it.

Sajjaja

Some people just assume that because it was funded at the last minute, ignoring the last day Kickstarter effect and because they assume that real people cant surely be "dumb" enough to get such a "stupid" project funded.

Ignore it.
Yeah, TB made an announcement about it letting people know to.help fund it just about 3 hours before it finished. That probably had a significant impact too.

Toma

Yeah, TB made an announcement about it letting people know to.help fund it just about 3 hours before it finished. That probably had a significant impact too.

Those announcements/updates have a huge impact. Every announcement/Update is basically guaranteeing at least a 2-3k/hour funding spike for the Wasteland project. If I had a Kickstarter I'd do Updates as often as I can (if I have relevant information), and Wasteland 2 had a few interesting update worthy news already that didnt get any specific mention.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
So close, yet oh so far.

Come on Fargo, how about some more meaty concept art or something? Come on and give us a nibble.

Toma

So close, yet oh so far.

Come on Fargo, how about some more meaty concept art or something? Come on and give us a nibble.

Yeah. They said that they start working out the closer work relationship details this week in an Interview, so I cant imagine they have anything to show yet, but it definitely wouldnt hurt to have one guy drawing up something in 1 hour to give the fans SOMETHING.

Toma

50% of the day have passed and we are sitting on ~13k:
CKfYT.png

We'll easily break through 2M tomorrow, since we are already sitting at 1,970,000 now.

I'll bake you a cake if it reaches 3 million, not gonna happen.

Top Bottom