• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

But I don't personally care at all for having "hundreds of hours" of quests. If I wanted to play a single game for months on end, I'd subscribe to an MMO.

While I understand the point you think you are making, you're acting like RPGs never had a plethora of side quests unrelated to the main story.

I mean, I play Elder Scrolls games, but I sure don't try to do everything in order to feel like the game is complete.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Well it if means the last of those, then great.

But I don't personally care at all for having "hundreds of hours" of quests. If I wanted to play a single game for months on end, I'd subscribe to an MMO.

Or you could just be satisfied with playing 10 hours of it. Some games I dont need to play to the end to get the right amount of enjoyment out of it.

Corto

Well it if means the last of those, then great.

At some point you'll need to trust inXile and Brian Fargo judgment that they know better how and where they should spend this money. If you're a little uneasy you can always take a wait-and-see approach and buy the game afterwards. The game is already certain, everything from that point on is gravy.

Minsc

Gold Member
I dunno, this is what I got out of it all:

The bottom line is that this kind of budget insures that Wasteland 2 is BIGGER than Wasteland 1.

Sounds like a good thing to me! The 3M mod-kit hopefully happens with post-release sales if the goal isn't reached well. Either way it's kinda not that exciting, since even if it hits 3M the mod-kit is scheduled for down the road, so you don't see it for a while regardless.

Eusis

Given the length of Fallout 1 and the development time I seriously don't see this being a 100+ hour game unless you look for ways to stretch that out or inflate it, including multiple playthroughs. We're not talking about a game getting hundreds of people on development or anything.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Given the length of Fallout 1 and the development time I seriously don't see this being a 100+ hour game unless you look for ways to stretch that out or inflate it, including multiple playthroughs. We're not talking about a game getting hundreds of people on development or anything.

Hm... I am not tooo sure, but if you did every quest and searched every corner of the game world (trying to get into every room, stealing everyones pockets), that would take a shit load of time. I recently restarted playing it, and I am still in the first town after 5 hours (doing some quests around the town, plus the vault 15 mission). The bigger towns take a LOT longer.

Edit: A completionist playthrough on HowlongToBeat is being listed as 46 hours, which is quite long. I would want this game to last me 200+ hours, but I'd also not complain about FO1 length (If the mod kit gets added later).

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
A completionist playthrough on HowlongToBeat is being listed as 46 hours, which is quite long. I would want this game to last me 200+ hours, but I'd also not complain about FO1 length (If the mod kit gets added later).
Considering the game will probably retail for $15 (or they're just giving the donors a big discount), I think 200+ hours worth of quests and area to explore is a tad unreasonable. Possible? Sure, but I'd rather have quality over quantity.

Toma

Considering the game will probably retail for $15 (or they're just giving the donors a big discount), I think 200+ hours worth of quests and area to explore is a tad unreasonable. Possible? Sure, but I'd rather have quality over quantity.

Grah, lol.

See how fast a discussion can turn on you. I agree with you! I was discussing the length of Fo1 and how that would be entirely enough for me with the same quality.

I just added at the end that of course I'd want this game to last me 200 hours if I have the chance to choose ;) Sorry if that was unclear!

Campaigns that set the game at full price never go up as fast.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Grah, lol.

See how fast a discussion can turn on you. I agree with you! I was discussing the length of Fo1 and how that would be entirely enough for me with the same quality.

I just added at the end that of course I'd want this game to last me 200 hours if I have the chance to choose ;) Sorry if that was unclear!
All good. B-)
Campaigns that set the game at full price never go up as fast.
Not understanding what you mean. Are you saying when the reward that includes a copy of the game is the actual price?

zkylon

zkylewd
Final price is I bet is 20-25 bucks.

200+ hours seems a bit too much, but people play games like Skyrim for that long, so it's not entirely unreasonable, considering Wasteland 2 is gonna be a lot more slow-paced and dialogue-heavy.

Hm... I am not tooo sure, but if you did every quest and searched every corner of the game world (trying to get into every room, stealing everyones pockets), that would take a shit load of time. I recently restarted playing it, and I am still in the first town after 5 hours (doing some quests around the town, plus the vault 15 mission). The bigger towns take a LOT longer.

Edit: A completionist playthrough on HowlongToBeat is being listed as 46 hours, which is quite long. I would want this game to last me 200+ hours, but I'd also not complain about FO1 length (If the mod kit gets added later).

46 hours? That seems like a stretch. I didn't even spend that much time the first time I played the game, and I did most side quests.

I recently played it again, for the fifth time or something, and I finished pretty much everything in around 20 hours.

Final price is I bet is 20-25 bucks.

200+ hours seems a bit too much, but people play games like Skyrim for that long, so it's not entirely unreasonable, considering Wasteland 2 is gonna be a lot more slow-paced and dialogue-heavy.

There is quite a bit of dialogue in Skyrim, and I wouldn't call it anything but a slow paced game. Also, there are loads of quests and stuff to do in Skyrim.

I spent ~125 hours on it, and I did all the major quests (main quest, guild quests, daedric quests). I still had a bunch of side quests left, but I was burned out on the game by that time.

Toma

Including Paypal it just crossed 2 million. Currently at $2,000,394

All the boring people celebrate at the 2M barrier from only Kickstarter, we celebrate now! woo!

1M to go :(

Sajjaja

IT'S FAN ART, BUT.... W/E IT STAYS HERE.....
555878_326692864051699_100001329648766_804077_1029297958_n.jpg

562698_326693554051630_100001329648766_804080_1762578577_n.jpg

Also, I guess it's some concept art:

427912_335957026453567_319549084761028_889103_2110595486_n.jpg

Also, latest interview briefly talking about general plot of the game:

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1306686/wasteland_2_kickstarter_plot_gameplay_interview.html

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The Wasteland aesthetic is NOT wild west. I don't know why anyone would think that. Hopefully Fargo doesn't. :/

Sajjaja

I think that's just some fanart.

The last one is the banner on their facebook page.

If you read in the interview it says:

You control of a group of desert rangers in the southwest part of the states who are seeking to restore some law and order into a post apocalyptic world.

But despite their mission of restoring peace it is up to the players to decide the morality of their choices. We will not preach what behavior to take and nor will every negative thing you do necessarily turn into something bad happening to you.

The game will be party based like the original, feature modern day weapons for combat and use the skill system that everyone loved so much. Visual themes will run the gamut from desolate and bleak to cities that are attempting to recover from destruction.

The Wasteland aesthetic is NOT wild west. I don't know why anyone would think that. Hopefully Fargo doesn't. :/

Could that be their way of differentiating it much more clearly from Fallout?

Also those face models seem awful detailed for an isometric game. Have they confirmed that as the camera angle of the final game?

DTKT

Could that be their way of differentiating it much more clearly from Fallout?

Also those face models seem awful detailed for an isometric game. Have they confirmed that as the camera angle of the final game?

I doubt that's for in-engine stuff. Maybe a trailer or some concept-art.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's hard to tell if it's fanart or not, because it started as fanart, posted by NMA on this thread, but Brian Fargo has upload images that don't belong to him in the past, like that Constantine pic. It's not that farfetched that BF is just uploading whatever that Andrey Lyapichev guy makes.

Some of the pics on the Wasteland 2 album flat out say FANART:
417076_315390131848639_100001329648766_776836_1819186471_n.jpg

Sajjaja

It's hard to tell if it's fanart or not, because it started as fanart, posted by NMA on this thread. Brian Fargo has upload images that don't belong to him in the past, like that Constantine pic, so it's not that farfetched that BF is just uploading whatever that Andrey Lyapichev guy makes.

Some of the pics on the Wasteland 2 album flat out say FANART:

Dude is right, it's fan art >_> Shit..... my bad................................................... :( I was considering purchasing the game too after seeing this lol.

Toma

Putting up art that is not from the actual game.

That is indeed quite a ... strange method to advertise the game to get more funds. It also hasnt invigorated the funding as much as the Obsidian announcement.

Not a fan of the longcoats, rifles, and cowboy hat thing being standard WL2 motif...but I do think it'd be nice to have some customization on the character, reflecting armor and hat, and tool/weapon. WL1 was pretty modern and realistic with a darker Heavy Metal-acryllic art sci-fi/fantasy tone. Letting people go around with very unique party members is part of the appeal of party-based RPGs, after all, so letting the player do that with equipment and some color picker, would do that even better.

Also, didn't notice this being talked about here (maybe I'm blind), but the tiers have changed. They added a $2k tier and doubled the spaces for the $1k tier.

Toma

seems about right for a face model inside a conversation

Ah, clever.

And regarding the Wild west thing, I believe most Wild West fans are situated in the US, and they want to have a more widespread appeal with this game. Dont think that they will be using solely Wild West themes, but starting out Wild West, getting crazier shit the farther you get away from your starting area could be a cool transitional effect.

Zeliard

Also, didn't notice this being talked about here (maybe I'm blind), but the tiers have changed. They added a $2k tier and doubled the spaces for the $1k tier.

They should have done that much earlier. The $1,000 tier was filled up for a long time and the $2,500 tier was getting no action. Don't know why they waited so long if they could have tweaked the tiers this entire time.

They do seem a bit slow to acknowledge some fairly obvious things. Like Fargo didn't think to post updates on what they were working on till people had to tell him on forums that it's probably a good idea? Avellone's name alone was destined to bring a bump - and has - but you can't solely rely on things like that.

Toma

They should have done that much earlier. The $1,000 tier was filled up for a long time and the $2,500 tier was getting no action. Don't know why they waited so long if they could have tweaked the tiers this entire time.

They do seem a bit slow to acknowledge some fairly obvious things. Like Fargo didn't think to post updates on what they were working on till people had to tell him on forums that it's probably a good idea? Avellone's name alone was destined to bring a bump - and has - but you can't solely rely on things like that.

I agree, they probably dont have anyone doing PR on board yet, and he seems to be missing some basic concepts about consumer interaction.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
To be fair Double Fine didn't bother adjusting one of there tiers that barely got selected.
This whole thing is new to everyone. DFA and now Wasteland 2 are the first Kickstater game projects to have such large budgets. I think Brian has done a decent job considering they're in an early phase, but he could certainly do better.

Zeliard

To be fair Double Fine didn't bother adjusting one of there tiers that barely got selected.

Different situations. In this case the $1k was popular and the $2.5k tier was barely getting any bites at all. They even redid the $2.5k tier and it still wasn't attracting anyone. The obvious solution was to increase the slots for $1k, or simply to consolidate the two tiers, but they let it simmer for an oddly long time even when it was clear it wasn't working. Hell they just added slots to $1k and already have 12 more people on it. Fortunately there are still several days left.

This Kickstarter has already been a great success but these companies should always look to maximize the amount they're getting in. The more money they have, the more breathing room during development.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Different situations. In this case the $1k was popular and the $2.5k tier was barely getting any bites at all. They even redid the $2.5k tier and it still wasn't attracting anyone. The obvious solution was to increase the slots for $1k, or simply to consolidate the two tiers, but they let it simmer for an oddly long time even when it was clear it wasn't working. Hell they just added slots to $1k and already have 12 more people on it. Fortunately there are still several days left.
Okay, the dollars amounts are different, but the problem is the same. The $30 and $100 tiers for DFA were very popular with 10k+ backers each. The $60 one had around 10% of that, not much above the $250 tier. They never bothered changing the rewards, mostly likely missing out on $30 people bumping up to $60.

ghibli99

I'm excited about this, to be certain. My expectations may be a bit unreasonably high since my own money has already been put into this, so there's no turning back... and there's going to be quite the long wait, too (and how long is too long?). If the game isn't good, or is even just OK, it might shake the foundation of crowdfunding, in that we commit to something before it's anything really. Them's the risks, but in that scenario, I wonder how successful it will continue to be once the buzz wears off? I'm a bit more excited about DFA given DF's history, but then again, I appreciate their games more for the style and creativity than I do the gameplay, which usually lacks in some major way. Whatever the case may be, I'm optimistic, but I can't help but think some of these things. :)

Top Bottom