• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

scy

I'm excited about this, to be certain. My expectations may be a bit unreasonably high since my own money has already been put into this, so there's no turning back... and there's going to be quite the long wait, too (and how long is too long?). If the game isn't good, or is even just OK, it might shake the foundation of crowdfunding, in that we commit to something before it's anything really. Them's the risks, but in that scenario, I wonder how successful it will continue to be once the buzz wears off?

I really can't wait to see the reactions to the first "big" funded project like this when they finally release. Hell, I'm curious on the kind of sales to expect post-launch on them too.

I think about all of the money I've thrown away on buying new games. Those games had long, well-produced videos, positive reviews, and detailed dissections available shortly before I bought them. Those games were $50-$60 apiece. Kicking $15-$30 to a not-so-good title in an almost completely extinct genre I love and miss isn't going to hurt anywhere near the level of being unhappy with a brand new console game and spending twice that. Plus, I like and trust the creators behind these projects...that's something that is very important when you remove the corporate brand and franchise filter.

Perkel

Banned
Man at this rate it will be a tight race to 2.1

They have 40k$ in paypall donations. So it's only 60k$ to reach target. Easy.

2,5 mln tier is promising and 3 mln tier is hard to say. If they will same surge as Double Fine at the end they will overfund it (tier 3).

Zeliard

Okay, the dollars amounts are different, but the problem is the same. The $30 and $100 tiers for DFA were very popular with 10k+ backers each. The $60 one had around 10% of that, not much above the $250 tier. They never bothered changing the rewards, mostly likely missing out on $30 people bumping up to $60.

I'm talking about increasing slots, not modifying tier rewards. The $1k tier was already very popular, but it didn't get any more funding there because it was filled at its limit. The $2.5k tier already includes everything the $1k tier has but wasn't getting any play. They had already modified the $2.5k tier and it did almost nothing. Now they've simply doubled the $1k slots and it's already far more effective. It's just plain common sense, and it isn't really hindsight as I've been saying they should do that for a while now, so surely they must have thought of it earlier.

Those Double Fine tiers contained no such limitations. People simply went where they thought they'd get the most value, but they weren't restricted with those lower tiers. The fact that the $100 tier was so popular meant that they didn't have to do anything with the $60 one. People who went above $30 were paying $100 anyway. It would actually have been less beneficial for them to modify the $60 tier, as it would have probably ensured some people would go there instead of the highly popular $100 tier.

I don't think that new $2k tier will do much either. I don't think they can do anything with the $2.5k tier since (five) people have already pledged that amount, but they probably should have created 300 slots for $1k and done away with $2k altogether.

Either way, it will certainly reach its $2.1 million figure but I think they could have done quite a bit more, and done it fairly easily. Hopefully Obsidian learns from this when they create their own Kickstarter. :p

Should be at $2M inside of fifteen minutes or so. All they need is a new talent- and game-focused video and a more concrete $2.5M/$3M goal. They need that today or before the last seven days.

Zeliard

People have been asking for an Avellone/Fargo video where they shoot the shit on CRPGs (similar to that Schafer/Gilbert vid).

Maybe that'll come to pass. Avellone said this on Twitter recently:

hehw9xce.png

So they are aware of it, to some extent.

Brian Fargo via WL2 KS Update #8 said:
And for the people that remember little Bobby from WL1... well he was left for dead and he is pissed.
This comment in update #8 seems to be one of the few hints for the timeline of WL2 and how it sits, time-wise, from the first game. 2087, and Bobby the child NPC from the town of Highpool is an old man at sixty to even eighty years later. I think they'll set this one twenty-five years later and amid a larger world that sees many of the same locations, older, changed, repopulated or devoid of friendly life/AI. Or, maybe, they'll make him into a cyborg that has lasted much longer than the typical wasteland dweller. As long as they stay rooted in that 80s retro-futurist take on things.

Also, two million.

Zeliard

It'll easily make it to $2.1 million. The inevitable surge in the final 24-48 hours alone will ensure that, but it'll certainly make it to that beforehand. The added slots in the $1k tier are gonna help quite a bit, along with more updates.

Fargo tweeted this last night:

hawu4j7f.png

Which only reinforces what I was saying earlier, but I won't belabor the point. :p

Owensboro

Hey awesome! I asked inXile a question about getting the $50 shipped to an address that I don't have yet because I'm going to be changing jobs and home addresses in the next 6 months. If anyone is curious:
inXile entertainment said:
Hi [Owensboro],

You will. We will send a message through Kickstarter as we get closer to shipping time. You will be able to let us know your address then. Thanks!

Turns out I will be able to give them an address much closer to the release. Thank god, as that's what was keeping me from a Boxed Copy. I'm so in for an "old school instruction book", large box, and cloth map. I hope to god the instruction book continues the gag joke of going to Mars from the original. It was such a shame that everyone died :(

Hey awesome! I asked inXile a question about getting the $50 shipped to an address that I don't have yet because I'm going to be changing jobs and home addresses in the next 6 months. If anyone is curious:

Turns out I will be able to give them an address much closer to the release. Thank god, as that's what was keeping me from a Boxed Copy. I'm so in for an "old school instruction book", large box, and cloth map. I hope to god the instruction book continues the gag joke of going to Mars from the original. It was such a shame that everyone died :(

That is great, and such fortuitous timing. I was thinking about upping my contribution but I too will be moving in the near future.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
It would actually have been less beneficial for them to modify the $60 tier, as it would have probably ensured some people would go there instead of the highly popular $100 tier.
I disagree with this assessment. I think it's more likely someone will go to the $60 tier from $30 than someone going from $100 to $60. The gap is much smaller. Even if some people did go down, I think they would have made more money by simply having more popular options.

Corto

People have been asking for an Avellone/Fargo video where they shoot the shit on CRPGs (similar to that Schafer/Gilbert vid).

Maybe that'll come to pass. Avellone said this on Twitter recently:

hehw9xce.png

So they are aware of it, to some extent.

Maybe they are saving that for a final push. I think they also were caught a bit off guard with the success of the KS. They had a big goal and I bet they were nervous about it. Even the Avellone/Obsidian involvement seemed more reactive than planned. 2.5 millions with an one hour video talk between Fargo/Avellone is perfectly doable and it will be a real treat for all of us.

Leckan

2 questions:

1: Is there any other way to pay but Paypal? I loathe them and don't want to create an account for it.

2: Will this game be available by GOG or STEAM or? Where do these Kickstarter games get released?

Zeliard

I disagree with this assessment. I think it's more likely someone will go to the $60 tier from $30 than someone going from $100 to $60. The gap is much smaller. Even if some people did go down, I think they would have made more money by simply having more popular options.

And I disagree with your assessment of my assessment. ;)

They've had 16 people snagging that $1k tier since they opened up more slots yesterday. Whether or not we agree on how well Double Fine did their tiers, this was clearly something that needed to be done, and it would have helped to do it earlier. And I still think inXile should have added even more $1k slots, but maybe they will.

EasyMode

2 questions:

1: Is there any other way to pay but Paypal? I loathe them and don't want to create an account for it.

2: Will this game be available by GOG or STEAM or? Where do these Kickstarter games get released?

1. What made you think it was Paypal? My Kickstarter payments have gone through Amazon.

2. "The digital copies will be made available through Steam and other DRM free digital distribution methods."

2 questions:

Those questions are all answered on the page. There is no PayPal unless you can't use Amazon for some reason. It will be available on Steam.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Nice.

Easily 2,1 by tomorrow. 2,5 wont be a problem either at this rate, factoring in the last day funding. I mean its a little extreme, but I don't think they'll land too far off the 3M. Maybe 2,8M now if they finally get their Shit together for their KS updates.

New reward tier and stuff:

As our Kickstarter continues to build momentum, we will keep focusing on how we can best deliver what our fans want. We've seen quite a few messages from our international fans expressing concern with the cost of shipping and physical goods relating to VAT and customs costs. For that reason, we opened up a purely digital pledge level at $55 that contains no physical items. You will get the digital copy of the game, digital soundtrack, digital novellas 1 and 2, digital concept art book and early beta access.

We've had an amazing amount of support from our fans, and we couldn't be happier with how many people are showing up to help make this game special. Please continue getting the word out in the remaining days of the campaign to help us finish strong. A countdown timer on our Wasteland 2 website is now ticking away the days, minutes and seconds to the finish. You can help spread the word by adding the counter to your own blog or website—just use the handy “Add to your site” button next to the counter. Thanks!

Brian Fargo

Erethian

Not sure what caused it, but donations really spiked up today; another 80k according to RuinedKingdoms. With Kickstarter + Paypal there's less than 20k to go before they reach $2.1 million.

Zeliard

Not sure what caused it, but donations really spiked up today; another 80k according to RuinedKingdoms. With Kickstarter + Paypal there's less than 20k to go before they reach $2.1 million.

Opening up more $1k slots was highly significant. I know I keep harping on that but it's the plain truth. 19 new backers on it already since yesterday, so $19,000 bucks from that tier alone in a day.

The fact that it's also getting ever closer to that $2.1 million mark also helps.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Obsidian get.

I was looking over the credits to Arcanum, and it's incredible how few people are required to make a huge, deep role playing game compared to the asset and cinematic heavy games we see elsewhere.

Top Bottom