• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

Zeliard

Obsidian get.

I was looking over the credits to Arcanum, and it's incredible how few people are required to make a huge, deep role playing game compared to the asset and cinematic heavy games we see elsewhere.

Yeah those teams are generally fairly small. Bit of an older game than Arcanum, of course, but here's the Fallout 1 team:

team64kn9.jpg

Some of the same guys went on to lead the design on Arcanum too - Anderson, Boyarsky and Cain. And Jason Anderson had a fairly big hand in Wasteland 2's pre-production, I believe, though he's gone from inXile now.

Famassu

I still stand by my $2.3M ending amount projection.
I'm pretty certain we will get well past 2,5 million. I mean, 1) we're already over 2,1 million, 2) we've still got 1,5 weeks to go and 3) many Kickstarter projects (if not all) so far seem to have had a considerable final push where people on the fense seem to jump in as well as some kind of final "HEY, LOOK AT US" hyping getting the attention of people who weren't aware of the Kickstarter before, and that will be the source of a lot of money. So... yeah, I'd say 2,5 million isn't impossible, I'd say it's downright probable at this point. Now... 3 million? I can't see that happening, but I wouldn't say that's impossible either if Fargo & Co pull something really cool out of their arses during the last few days.

mclem

I disagree with this assessment. I think it's more likely someone will go to the $60 tier from $30 than someone going from $100 to $60. The gap is much smaller.

For what it's worth, this was a problem I had with DFA; I could probably have been tempted to go higher if they'd inserted a tier between $100 and $250, but it was simply too big a jump. Wasteland's $150 tier is in a sweet spot in that respect... but the rewards aren't quite tempting enough. Probably. Although I keep looking at it and hovering over it with my mouse.

In other words, it's a twofold thing.

Zeliard

I'm pretty certain we will get well past 2,5 million. I mean, 1) we're already over 2,1 million, 2) we've still got 1,5 weeks to go and 3) many Kickstarter projects (if not all) so far seem to have had a considerable final push where people on the fense seem to jump in as well as some kind of final "HEY, LOOK AT US" hyping getting the attention of people who weren't aware of the Kickstarter before, and that will be the source of a lot of money. So... yeah, I'd say 2,5 million isn't impossible, I'd say it's downright probable at this point. Now... 3 million? I can't see that happening, but I wouldn't say that's impossible either if Fargo & Co pull something really cool out of their arses during the last few days.

Yeah, lots of procrastinators and fence-sitters out there; that's the biggest reason for those big surges in the last 24-48 hours. People want in before they don't have a chance anymore to get the game at a lower price and/or some goodies along with it, as well as to simply be a part of the funding action and the excitement that goes along with it. Already seen some people regretting not helping fund Double Fine Adventure because they don't get access to the 2 Player videos.

I wonder if this game is going to have premium backers like the DF game had. Also didn't Brian said that he was putting $100k of his own money when the goal was $900k. Has he mentioned if he's increasing that amount accordingly given all the money they have now?

Corto

I wonder if this game is going to have premium backers like the DF game had. Also didn't Brian said that he was putting $100k of his own money when the goal was $900k. Has he mentioned if he's increasing that amount accordingly given all the money they have now?

I seem to remember that if the Kickstarter had fall short of the 900.000 goal by that much then Fargo would chip in 100.000.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I seem to remember that if the Kickstarter had fall short of the 900.000 goal by that much then Fargo would chip in 100.000.

Yep, and only then. No Fargo financing if the project comes to live anyway (that we know of).

Famassu

Not quite. If this Kickstarter had only reached the original goal of ~900,000 (even exceeded it a bit), Fargo would've had to put in 100k of his own money into the project since even at bare minimum, he estimated that they needed 1 million to make the (most barebones) Wasteland 2. So 900k would've been close enough for Fargo and the rest would've come from his pocket.

He never said he'd put more of his own money into the project if they got more (not that you claimed he would, but the poster you quoted kind of did), quite on the contrary (if they got enough money, he wouldn't have to spend his own savings).

pa22word

Is it wrong that some part of me is happy the $250 tier (signed collector's edition) sold out so I wouldn't be tempted to upgrade to it >.>

Myomoto

He's also said that no part of the kickstarter money will go towards his own salary, so I'm guessing that part of those 100k is the money he has set aside to live off of during development.

$2.1M (just in Amazon payments) in about ten minutes or so, I think. It's really crawling now. It seems like it would be very likely that a lot of people want a last good pitch, a great video and given goal with a concrete reward that is exciting enough to inspire a flurry of pledges and upgrades. (Could also be some extra overlap in competition for available funding among the current KS backer pool as several similarly retro KS projects have started around the same time in the last week.) I hope they've saved cool stuff for last...something super cool to push for if $3M can be reached.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
$2.1M (just in Amazon payments) in about ten minutes or so, I think. It's really crawling now. It seems like it would be very likely that a lot of people want a last good pitch, a great video and given goal with a concrete reward that is exciting enough to inspire a flurry of pledges and upgrades. (Could also be some extra overlap in competition for available funding among the current KS backer pool as several similarly retro KS projects have started around the same time in the last week.) I hope they've saved cool stuff for last...something super cool to push for if $3M can be reached.

No way that they reach 3M before the last day (if at all). If they have anything, a video/Interview whatever, they need to put it out as soon as possible.

Corto

Not quite. If this Kickstarter had only reached the original goal of ~900,000 (even exceeded it a bit), Fargo would've had to put in 100k of his own money into the project since even at bare minimum, he estimated that they needed 1 million to make the (most barebones) Wasteland 2. So 900k would've been close enough for Fargo and the rest would've come from his pocket.

He never said he'd put more of his own money into the project if they got more (not that you claimed he would, but the poster you quoted kind of did), quite on the contrary (if they got enough money, he wouldn't have to spend his own savings).

The bottom line is that Fargo owes us 100.000 buckaroos.

Toma

The bottom line is that Fargo owes us 100.000 buckaroos.

Huh? Why?

He said he'd put it in if absolutely necessary to finally make his vision come true. I'd understand if he doesnt use them directly for developing the game anymore, since the game is funded well above expectations.

Corto

Huh? Why?

He said he'd put it in if absolutely necessary to finally make his vision come true. I'd understand if he doesnt use them directly for developing the game anymore, since the game is funded well above expectations.

I'm joking Toma! hehehe

ZoddGutts

Now that it's met i's 2.1 mil goal, it's slowing down again. Let's see what they can come up with to increase the funding rate, like maybe lowering their mod kit goal from 3 mil to 2.7 mil and putting up a new vid, interviewing Avellone about their plans on the project.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Damn you, backers, don't you dare to pull your pledges!

Not on this one!

I feel one of the reasons why DF was as successful as they were was because they kept releasing content whether through videos, Twitter, and kickstarter. The Wasteland team really needs to put a video interview of Brian reminiscing about the old Interplay days. That lame HD video didn't really do anything for me. A 30 minute chat between him and Avalone discussing what makes an RPG great could go to great length to motivating backers and new people to contribute.

Toma

I feel one of the reasons why DF was as successful as they were was because they kept releasing content whether through videos, Twitter, and kickstarter. The Wasteland team really needs to put a video interview of Brian reminiscing about the old Interplay days. That lame HD video didn't really do anything for me. A 30 minute chat between him and Avalone discussing what makes an RPG great could go to great length to motivating backers and new people to contribute.

Wholeheartedly agree. And they better put it up soon.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
A 30 minute chat between him and Avalone discussing what makes an RPG great could go to great length to motivating backers and new people to contribute.

Indeed it would. I would love to hear what the great minds of the RPG's from the golden age of gaming think of gaming would be amazing to watch.

Toma

Avellone is at PAX I think so that may have to wait for a while.

Not if Fargo flies over there and shoots the Interview after Pax has closed!

Pretty sure the $300 for that flight would pay off.

Toma

You know guys, after thinking about it for a while just now I might be missing a bit enthusiasm here. Obviously, not everybody is the type who dances on camera after hitting a certain milestone, but I haven't felt quite the same enthusiasm from the head of the project for the Wasteland2 project as for the DFA Kickstarter.

A video Interview and not just a premade text could change that impression quite a bit for me though, depending on how they talk about their subjects.

Made me realize that the DFA kickstarter might have gotten a bit more funds, not only on the premise of the game, but also due to how it has been presented to the public. Schafer really has a talent for that.

Portugeezer

Made me realize that the DFA kickstarter might have gotten a bit more funds, not only on the premise of the game, but also due to how it has been presented to the public. Schafer really has a talent for that.

Maybe, but maybe not. I didn't pledge for DFA, but I did for Wasteland 2.

Toma

Maybe, but maybe not. I didn't pledge for DFA, but I did for Wasteland 2.

More or less saying, that I guess that DFA would have gotten less funds without Schafer. Wasnt really trying to put the funding into relation. Of course they are different genres and appeal to different people, but Schafer being THAT enthusiastic certainly didnt hurt.

Top Bottom