• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

Lancehead

Lifted this from RPG Codex.
Full interview link over there --> Link

The ever tactful and polite fellows at Gamestar.ru have scored an interview with Brian Fargo. Most of it is retreading familiar ground, but there is some hard data on the game's systems:

What about the characters? Will players be able to customize them or are we going to choose from several pre-made characters with their own dispositions and preferrences? Are the conflicts within the team possible? Are NPCs going to react on different characters in different ways? Or are all those promised kilobytes of text going to be simple «you got the job, now go fight»?

Players will be able to create a character from scratch or choose a military occupational specialty (like corps of engineers) which will set the base stats and skills. But even then the player can continue to tweak the skills and attributes the way they want. There will be over 30 different skills that the player uses to customize themselves with. The ranger squad that the players creates are wholly under the control of the player. This is more classic role playing however the NPCs that join the party will not be under full control which means they waste ammo, steal from the party, open fire on people and potentially cause havoc for the rangers. Players won't always quite know what they are getting when someone joins up.

What about the roleplaying system? Are we getting the classic strength, intellect, luck, agility, dexterity, charisma and other dozen and a half of characteristics? Or are you planning to upgrade the leveling mechanics of the original Wasteland? If you're not, chances are you might get in trouble with Bethesda that owns the rights on S.P. E.C.I. A.L system and, not to mention, just loves taking other companies to the court. Don't you apprehend such possibility?

We are improving on the original skill system from Wasteland. Much of that system was pulled from Mercenaries, Spies and Private Eyes and influenced the other popular RPG systems that are around today. It provides more than enough flexibility in what we are trying to achieve.​

And there's also this response from Brian that should be a crowd pleaser:

So, Interplay and Black Isle are coming back to life. Have you received any offers to return to your lares and penates? What do you think, wouldn't it be great to gather the dream-team together once again and make another game with your old friends?

I feel like I am already working with my old friends at Black Isle already. We speak frequently and I gave them input on their Kickstarter pre launch to share my experiences. InXile and Obsidian are going to work hard to make Southern California the RPG hub again.​

Oh, I'm pleased indeed with that last reply.

zkylon

zkylewd
New update: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../361730?ref=email&show_token=9ebef4323bcd6675

phW3O.jpg

We set a goal of having all paper design completed by the end of October and we’re pretty darn close to that.
This strikes me as an odd thing to say. Like, are they telling us that they missed their October date or something? They call it "great progress" but it's just weird.

In any case, I liked the update, there seems to be a pretty good balance of combat-oriented as well as "pacifist" skills, and SPLICES is a pretty good acronym.

Edit: ugh, ninja'd... uncool ¬¬

Lancehead

Expertise has agility and dexterity covered. So what is Speed for? Just raw speed?

Also, the update mentions that some skills are more useful (or used more) than others, but doesn't tell if those different skills require different amount of points to upgrade.

zkylon

zkylewd
Expertise has agility and dexterity covered. So what is Speed for? Just raw speed?

Also, the update mentions that some skills are more useful (or used more) than others, but doesn't tell if those different skills require different amount of points to upgrade.
Speed's probably something like "initiative", to determine the order in which the turns are played.

As for the skills, it says they will all have their uses, but there'll be the ones that you use all the time (say, lockpicking) and others that you'll use less, but maybe to greater effect/reward (using your doctor skills to save one of your rangers from the brink of death). Not all games get these right but I think it's the right idea, it just makes picking your specializations more interesting.

Lancehead

Speed's probably something like "initiative", to determine the order in which the turns are played.

That'd be a waste of a primary attribute. Initiative should be a derived stat.

As for the skills, it says they will all have their uses, but there'll be the ones that you use all the time (say, lockpicking) and others that you'll use less, but maybe to greater effect/reward (using your doctor skills to save one of your rangers from the brink of death). Not all games get these right but I think it's the right idea, it just makes picking your specializations more interesting.

I don't think that's a good idea - that you ask the player to spend equal points on a skill that brings constant rewards, and on a skill that brings rewards rarely, even if the rewards in the latter case are bigger than in the former case. Because then you'll have to hunt for those rare rewards in order to justify the points you spent upgrading the skill.

Ideally, the amount of points required to upgrade a skill should be dependent on both the frequency of its application and the quality of rewards.

zkylon

zkylewd
That'd be a waste of a primary attribute. Initiative should be a derived stat.
I agree but many games do so, so that's one theory.

Speed could also be related to your dodging throws, movement range, etc., while Expertise is more about "expertly" using your skills, like lockpicking and whatnot.

Because then you'll have to hunt for those rare rewards in order to justify the points you spent upgrading the skill.
But that's the jist of it. One skill is more risk adverse, in that it gives you a constant stream of low-level rewards, while the other skill requires more "work", but it results in a much better reward.

It makes the decision more interesting by thinking "should I train my guy in first aid basics so he can patch up small injuries? Or should I get him a doctorate in brain surgery and have him work on the unlikely (but critically important) brain tumor case? But if my guys aren't taken proper constant care, they might not even get the chance to catch a brain tumor!" (OMG RPG DRAMA lol). It's a hard choice to make if both are competing for the same/a similar number of skillpoints, while turning the balance in one's favor could potentially trivialize that decision.

Lancehead

It makes the decision more interesting by thinking "should I train my guy in first aid basics so he can patch up small injuries? Or should I get him a doctorate in brain surgery and have him work on the unlikely (but critically important) brain tumor case? But if my guys aren't taken proper constant care, they might not even get the chance to catch a brain tumor!" (OMG RPG DRAMA lol).

The problem I see with this approach is that now you're modifying your play style based on the skills chosen rather than picking skills that suit your play style. Or you have to hope that one of your party members catches brain tumour in order to actually use the skill you've spent points developing. That's just not a good trade-off.

It's a hard choice to make if both are competing for the same/a similar number of skillpoints, while turning the balance in one's favor could potentially trivialize that decision.

It only trivialises if you don't categorise the skills. Say, you put all the skills that cost 1 point to upgrade in one category, and the skills that cost 2 points in another. This immediately informs the player of the positives and negatives of these sets of skills. Then in order to maintain a hard choice, both sets of skills draw from the same pool of points.

A decision could be, should I spend this 1 point I have on this skill from the first category, or should I wait until I get another point so I can spend on this skill from the second category.

That's pretty much like Vampire Bloodlines character sheet.

mclem

In any case, I liked the update, there seems to be a pretty good balance of combat-oriented as well as "pacifist" skills, and SPLICES is a pretty good acronym.

I'm amused that it's six out of seven letters of SPECIAL, just in a different order. They don't all mean the same as in SPECIAL, though, and those that do are understandable.

Edit: What the heck's "Bullet swagging"? And I assume "Backer Skill" is just a placeholder for the, er, backer skill? Mind you, giving your party members the ability to judge what projects deserve funding would indeed be a "unique and quirky skill" :)

zkylon

zkylewd
The problem I see with this approach is that now you're modifying your play style based on the skills chosen rather than picking skills that suit your play style. Or you have to hope that one of your party members catches brain tumour in order to actually use the skill you've spent points developing. That's just not a good trade-off.
What? This is a RPG, it doesn't work like "according to my play style", like say, a shooter in which you can pick a shotgun or a rifle. You create a set of characters, pick their skills and stats and whatever, and send them on their path of improvement, but what you made those characters be is how you're probably gonna end up playing the game.

Your choices are permanent, of course they're gonna be relevant in what your play style is.

A decision could be, should I spend this 1 point I have on this skill from the first category, or should I wait until I get another point so I can spend on this skill from the second category.

That's pretty much like Vampire Bloodlines character sheet.
This would make sense if both skills had very different payoffs, like the difference between attributes, disciplines and skills in Vampire: The Masquerade. In Vampire, all skills still cost the same (though you can specialize in certain "trees"), so I don't see what the example's about, the thing that you'd mean would probably be attributes, but "strength" isn't comparable to "subterfuge".

I'd have no problem with it if it were used for very different stuff like that, but having a skill cost more because it's used less often sounds to me like an fallback in designing some skills to be worse than others.

I'm amused that it's six out of seven letters of SPECIAL, just in a different order. They don't all mean the same as in SPECIAL, though, and those that do are understandable.
Well, many of those stats were already in Wasteland 1, but I don't mind. I think the SPECIAL stat system is probably the best in cRPGs history, along with the aformentioned Bloodlines' system.

Lancehead

What? This is a RPG, it doesn't work like "according to my play style", like say, a shooter in which you can pick a shotgun or a rifle. You create a set of characters, pick their skills and stats and whatever, and send them on their path of improvement, but what you made those characters be is how you're probably gonna end up playing the game.

Your choices are permanent, of course they're gonna be relevant in what your play style is.

This would make sense if both skills had very different payoffs, like the difference between attributes, disciplines and skills in Vampire: The Masquerade. In Vampire, all skills still cost the same (though you can specialize in certain "trees"), so I don't see what the example's about, the thing that you'd mean would probably be attributes, but "strength" isn't comparable to "subterfuge".

I'd have no problem with it if it were used for very different stuff like that, but having a skill cost more because it's used less often sounds to me like an fallback in designing some skills to be worse than others.

You misunderstand me. Let me rephrase.

First, value of any skill should be obvious right at the outset. Second, if two skills cost the same amount to develop then they must have equivalent value. So if you have a skill that costs the same amount as a second skill, but it's value is far less obvious because of the frequency of its application, and the nature of rewards, then it's difficult to establish that equivalency, and players tend to pick one that is sure to give them benefits.

For the Vampire Bloodlines example.

Feats are what affect your character most. Skills/talents are one category and attributes another category. Both contribute to feats, but cost different amounts. Because attributes usually contribute to two feats whereas skills/talents contribute to one. And because both categories draw from the same exp pool, you also have good strategic considerations. Wasteland 2 doesn't have feats, but the idea is still valid. Or if you want, you can look at System Shock 2 or Deus Ex to see what I mean.

Also, I said cost should be dependent not only on frequency of application, but also on the type of rewards you get. Only then can you establish an equivalency. But you still need to make that value obvious to the player, which is where categorisation helps.

zkylon

zkylewd
First, value of any skill should be obvious right at the outset.
Correct, no problem with that.

Second, if two skills cost the same amount to develop then they must have equivalent value. So if you have a skill that costs the same amount as a second skill, but it's value is far less obvious because of the frequency of its application, and the nature of rewards, then it's difficult to establish that equivalency, and players tend to pick one that is sure to give them benefits.
You say you agree they have the same value, but since it's asymmetric (better rewards, less use, etc.), it becomes harder to gauge for the player, right?

Well, I say to that, that it falls into the first problem, it's an issue of communication.

For the Vampire Bloodlines example.

Feats are what affect your character most. Skills/talents are one category and attributes another category. Both contribute to feats, but cost different amounts. Because attributes usually contribute to two feats whereas skills/talents contribute to one. And because both categories draw from the same exp pool, you also have good strategic considerations. Wasteland 2 doesn't have feats, but the idea is still valid. Or if you want, you can look at System Shock 2 or Deus Ex to see what I mean.
Sure, but like I said in my previous post, you're comparing attributes with skills. I have no problem with that, since they're way different in their behavior, so yeah, raising your strength should cost about 3 times what raising your sledgehammer expertise costs. Makes sense because one's benefits outdo the other's by a pretty huge margin.

Also, I said cost should be dependent not only on frequency of application, but also on the type of rewards you get. Only then can you establish an equivalency. But you still need to make that value obvious to the player, which is where categorisation helps.
This kind of a spyrall-y discussion by now, and based on pretty much hypotheticals of how we'd like stuff to be, so taking that into account, I don't mind categorization, but I don't like hard balance in that we're all rewarded equally for everything like this is Far Cry 3 or something.

I like the idea of making quirky builds that have very few uses and seeing where that takes me. It may not be as reliable as the next build, but I feel that overbalancing stuff just makes everything viable and your choices end up being kinda trivial.

I would like to be able to build myself into a dead end.

----

Edit: I really like debating stats and whatnot so keep 'em coming :D

Lancehead

I would like to be able to build myself into a dead end.

Here's where I disagree. Not the part where you play yourself to a dead end, the part where you build yourself to a dead end.

For example, my character is some sort of lunatic who goes around doing stupid stuff (using the skills developed) incurring anger from all the places he/she visits. Eventually the world becomes so hostile that one day while travelling, in a random encounter my PC gets ambushed and shot down. That's a dead end I would like playing myself into. I just don't like "build #345 = dead end". I.e. how you apply your skills should lead to different ends, not the skills themselves.

zkylon

zkylewd
Here's where I disagree. Not the part where you play yourself to a dead end, the part where you build yourself to a dead end.

For example, my character is some sort of lunatic who goes around doing stupid stuff (using the skills developed) incurring anger from all the places he/she visits. Eventually the world becomes so hostile that one day while travelling, in a random encounter my PC gets ambushed and shot down. That's a dead end I would like playing myself into. I just don't like "build #345 = dead end". I.e. how you apply your skills should lead to different ends, not the skills themselves.
Yes, that's what I meant.

Lancehead

There's "Ask a Dev" week going on Wasteland 2 forums (already halfway through): http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2979

Brother None said:
The Ask A Dev forum is a one-week community event to enable you all to ask some of those questions that have been piling up over the past few months. Props to CaptainPatch for first suggesting the idea.

The idea is simple: you post any Wasteland 2 related question as a new thread. Admins/moderators then lock it, inXile will keep reading these forums, picking questions, answering them and then unlocking the thread, opening them up for debate and possibly follow-up questions. Please don't reply to threads before an inXile dev can, we'll just have to delete those posts. The forums will be locked to new threads on Friday the 21st.

It is very unlikely inXile can answer all or even most questions, they're picking a handful each day to answer. The next few days (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) we'll accumulate questions on this forum, inXile will start answering on Monday and is not likely to answer any before, so don't get impatient during the weekend, it's their time off.

The questions (including those answered) are here: http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=30

Lancehead

Codex has a pretty good collection of all the interesting answers from today: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...on-the-wasteland-2-forums.79017/#post-2416487

They're mostly design related; I'll quote a few of them.

Stats will definitely affect what things you can say and, more importantly, how effective you are at saying them. While we're still fleshing out the specific dialog options and responses for each NPC, we've been very focused on including this kind of reactivity. A character with a well-developed ability to intimidate is going to be able to squeeze some NPCs for extra info, while a charmer might elicit totally different details or even change the nature of an offered quest.

Beyond that, your character's other, non-dialog-focused skills may change NPC responses. Asking about a piece of hardware with a higher technical skill is likely to get you extra info.

As for whose value is checked, you'll basically have control over that. Whichever character is selected is considered to be the one talking. This will default to the first character in your party, but you can change it.

Specifically, [size of the game] is FAR larger than the original Wasteland. However, keep in mind that when you consider the size of other classic RPGs, you should also be aware of the scope of their development budgets. For example, Baldur's Gate was developed over a four year period with a budget that was around $25 million. Now, to be fair, there were many influences to this budget that we don't need to deal with, like the cost of developing the Infinity engine, but with our modest $3 million fan funded project to bring Wasteland 2 to life, it would be extremely difficult to duplicate the scale of some of these beloved RPGs... the scale... not the awesomeness, though.

Skill levels will increase as you use them. We loved that about the original and wanted to keep it.

Much more great (and positive) stuff at the link above.

NeededSleep

Just a heads up! They sent out their latest news letter, inside gives backers a free steam code for Bards Tale.

Thanks InXile Entertainment! :)

now that I've played xcom, the visuals in this don't measure up but I sure hope the story and gameplay holds up. I put a lot of money into this KS so I want it to be great.

good thing I decided to check the thread. FREE BARDS TALE.

I was hoping for the OG game though :p

now that I've played xcom, the visuals in this don't measure up but I sure hope the story and gameplay holds up.

I'm fairly sure XCOM's budget was *at least* twice/triple WL2's budget :p Also, I don't think it's going to be difficult to hold up with Firaxis' story, given that it's essentially "ebil aliens, kill all the aliens".

Lancehead

Shacknews posted their article. It's not really an article about Wasteland 2, but about a bunch of 2013 games. Not much new information except for this:

[Fargo] then dropped this nice nugget: "We fully plan to show off a couple minutes of gameplay early next year."

I hope that's January.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
it's obvious that they'll show it all on Jan 12th.

edit:eek:ops, it says 2012, my mistake.

Fjordson

I've been binging on Spiderweb Software games lately, so I'm up for anything graphically speaking :lol screen looks pretty cool.

dmr87

The team at inXile is filled with nervous energy to show off what we've been working on. As we're now in full production, we've been making some great strides with the game’s systems. There is still quite a ways to go, but we're near the point where we can show you all a bit of what you pledged to make a reality.

Within a month, you can expect a new update which will show a few minutes of actual gameplay. The video will follow a slice of the Agricultural Center, which was designed by Mr. Chris Avellone. You'll see a team of four Rangers running around in the world, some early working HUD elements, a few combat encounters, a taste of dialog, and the ranger team using some of their skills. We’ve been working on each of these systems separately and this is the first time we've put them all together to get a small sample of the gameplay experience. It's beginning to look like a real game!

Keep in mind that this is an early build and is intended as a progress report, not as a demonstration of final gameplay. As always, we want to hear your feedback! It has been a cornerstone of our development up to this point and we beg that you keep it coming as it will only result in a better game for everyone. We follow all channels available to us so let us know with a comment below or on Facebook, Twitter, our blog, forums, or by simply shouting very loudly.

We hope you'll see the potential.

If you'd like to get periodic details of the development process, you can also follow me on Twitter @RangerKeenan. Thanks and we look forward to hearing your responses!

Chris Keenan - Producer

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/384518

CushVA

Comments from Chris Avellone via twitter: https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone

@101sales They'll have an even better version for the gameplay release coming up soon, won't be long.
Heading to inXile today to play some of Wasteland 2. Pretty stoked.
Wasteland 2 looks awesome, love how the first area turned out.
It was awesome. The environments and monsters look great, and the text/combat text was pretty damn funny. Very Wasteland.
Ryan Farmer: I'm curious. How is the game gonna play? Like original Wasteland, like Fallout 1/2, like Fallout 3/NV, or totally different?
Fallout 1 and 2 is the closest comparison, even that's not 100% of what it is - it should be clear when they show the footage.

Our producer Chris is finally recording narration over the video demo to detail the experience. We really aren't trying to tease you.. we just want to show progress. We are working hard to wrap it up. And this video is actual gameplay being captured and not some smoke and mirrors demo.

woop woop

Top Bottom