• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

they are on Origin? wut?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/05/18/ea-luring-kickstarter-games-to-origin.aspx

“I have had a long relationship with EA and it is great to see them recognize and support the crowd-funded games model,” said Brian Fargo, CEO, inXile Entertainment.

“Having Origin waive their distribution fees for 90 days for fan funded games is a major economic bonus for small developers. We look forward to bringing Wasteland 2 to the Origin audience."
The use of Origin itself does not really irk me because it is a rational choice, but I am annoyed by the doublespeak. The original pitch video emphasized how the big publishers were the bad guys and Fargo frequently criticized them in broad strokes during the campaign in order to pander to the Kickstarter crowd. To see him now getting friendly with EA again for the sake of his bottom line definitely seems two faced, especially after EA refused to release the rights to the original Wasteland code. It almost seems like Fargo will say anything to anyone as long as it helps his bottom line. I guess it's just business as usual after a Kickstarter campaign ends and the money is in the bank.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Sounds good to me, I'm glad I'll have an Origin-free version but at the same time I don't see why people expect him to not recognise the developer friendly moves publishers do, if they do and when they do. Any distribution method beyond putting their own storefront up would be technically with a publisher anyway, Steam included. While the game was funded via KS they obviously want to profit as much as possible from it, not just cover the costs, so putting it everywhere they can makes sense, especially when there are no fees associated with it, and therefor no risk. They can't rely on KS forever. They should put it on all services they could benefit from, as long as they don't lose any rights or control in return, regardless of any time limited deals really. At this point it's far from a traditional publisher/developer relationship that could harm them and more like just putting their game in as many stores as they can, which they obviously should for the exposure even if they end up losing a profit % as it's all going to be bonus sales.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Why wouldn't they be in as many places as possible?

Lime

It's not like being on Origin precludes it from being elsewhere.

You never know what EA is capable of...

Seriously though, I think the problem here is that any sales of Wasteland 2 (or any other game for that matter) on Origin automatically provide EA a certain amount of money. And seeing EA's conduct towards its customers, most probably won't like EA getting any amount of money, as long as EA continue their immoral behaviour.

Blizzard

Banned
As long as it's available from somewhere besides Origin (was Steam semi-confirmed and I missed it?), I don't care that it's on Origin.

It's fucking amazing how people seem to forget how to read.

I'm not seeing the doublespeak. Fargo complained about publishers giving him the cold shoulder yes, but he also mentioned that he had worked out a favourable deal with EA to use the Wasteland IP, which suggests to that his relationship with that company is far from strained. Hence it's not at all shocking that after EA did something beneficial for the crowd-funded independent scene he would have kind words to share.

but he also mentioned that he had worked out a favourable deal with EA to use the Wasteland IP

Citation needed. The Wasteland trademark expired, which is why Fargo was able to reclaim it after it slipped back into public domain. EA had absolutely nothing to do with that, and if anything Fargo indicted them for being the reason why he couldn't offer the original game code. Let's not rewrite history to avoid looking at an unattractive reality.

I'm not seeing the doublespeak. Fargo complained about publishers giving him the cold shoulder yes, but he also mentioned that he had worked out a favourable deal with EA to use the Wasteland IP, which suggests to that his relationship with that company is far from strained. Hence it's not at all shocking that after EA did something beneficial for the crowd-funded independent scene he would have kind words to share.

I'm talking about the internets exploding with talk of asking for their money back because they didn't know they were giving to an Origin exclusive game.

zoku88

Hmm, weren't you guys talking something about receiving emails about addresses and whatnot?

I don't think I got any kind of questionaire email from Wasteland yet...

mclem

I'm talking about the internets exploding with talk of asking for their money back because they didn't know they were giving to an Origin exclusive game.

I'm hoping everyone here is a bit more inclined to critical thought than that, but as a small reminder, just in case:

Can I get my digital copy on Steam, if I want?

Absolutely. The digital copies will be made available through Steam and other DRM free digital distribution methods.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Shades.gif

Vlodril

Wow that's great. New wallpaper get! Both this and the robo scorpion thingie have strong green tints on them, and I like it a lot.

Inxile has been really trodding behind in the updates department, so I'm happy we finally get our hands on the vision document.

Was there an email and i didn't get it or its in the forums?

What are the signs on the wrecked car and on the ground?

You mean the graffiti that are also on the side of some of the buildings? No idea, honestly, but I imagine they're there for a reason :p (or maybe Wallin just thought they were fun to sneak in to give it a "lived in" feel, dunno)

DTKT

You mean the graffiti that are also on the side of some of the buildings? No idea, honestly, but I imagine they're there for a reason :p (or maybe Wallin just thought they were fun to sneak in to give it a "lived in" feel, dunno)

Oh I see. I thought it was something to the Wasteland games.

Drazgul

That is one gorgeous piece of concept art. Some jpg compression artifacts sadly, if someone finds a better version/png, do post.

Ugh.

Brian, stop using stupid fucking meaningless buzzwords like "True RPG".

That was a nice read, but what's stopping them from showing us the Design Doc? Even if .1% of the internet understands it, it would show people the process of making a video game. Because, right now, it just looks like they are hanging on the Nostalgia/Evil Publishers Vote. DFA is going full transparency, it works; so why can't these guys?

I dunno. The Vision Doc was nice and all, but I'd like to see something other than buzz words and ideas on paper.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Ugh.

Brian, stop using stupid fucking meaningless buzzwords like "True RPG".

That was a nice read, but what's stopping them from showing us the Design Doc? Even if .1% of the internet understands it, it would show people the process of making a video game. Because, right now, it just looks like they are hanging on the Nostalgia/Evil Publishers Vote. DFA is going full transparency, it works; so why can't these guys?

I dunno. The Vision Doc was nice and all, but I'd like to see something other than buzz words and ideas on paper.
The Vision (X) Document and Design document (GDD) are two very different things, though. The X is where the buzzwords, flavor and feel of what you're attempting to do should be. Get people hyped over the high level direction, and save the details for later on. I certainly wouldn't expect a completed Design Document at this stage...assuming they waited to flesh things out until after the Kickstarter was complete, it's too early for a GDD. All that will come in good time, I'm sure.

Love that concept image, new wallpaper get!

I certainly wouldn't expect a completed Design Document at this stage...assuming they waited to flesh things out until after the Kickstarter was complete, it's too early for a GDD. All that will come in good time, I'm sure.

Yeah, hopefully. I just hope idiocy like "True (Insert Genre Here)" is not rampant usage within the industry. Pretentious bullshit. Just make a good fucking game.

CushVA

liked this bit from the document:

Pillars

RPG: RPGs haven’t kept pace with time - they've regressed and even worse, taken pride in less role- playing than before. Important elements have been lost over time, sacrificed to technology, art constraints, voice-over expenses, and multi-platform console constraints. Wasteland 2 has no such limitations, it brings these RPG elements back, takes them out of the attic, and makes them part of gameplay again.

Top Bottom