• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

Zeliard

Love the radio stuff and music. So far, so good. Wish they'd show off the health system and skills used for healing/saving Rangers/NPCs during battle, though. Hope text scaling is an option at release.

I also liked what I saw (and heard - those poor goats). Mark Morgan's music feels very appropriate. The keyword library system seems potentially robust and could lead to good levels of branching dialogue, but we understandably only got a small snippet of it here, so it's hard to truly judge. I guess you can't input keywords in manually anymore? Curious if the combat includes an overwatch mechanic; seems like that would be a good fit.

And going back to that previous discussion, I think it's fine and even great that both major and minor content can be outright missed based on choices you make. I don't think every action taken needs a direct, tangible reward, and it's ultimately only reasonable that certain actions (like coldly murdering some poor bastard before you've really engaged them) should lead to missed opportunities. It's ultimately better they give you the ability to just shoot whomever than artificially limit you by cordoning off certain NPCs.

Also just realized that my $50 pledge does not include beta access. Gutted. :<

Acidote

Youtube comments always have some gold in it.

constenebricus 20 minutes ago
"Natosha" isn't even a&#65279; name! I'm surprised that developers like inXile are having such a hard time with the simplest research...
inXile2010 16 minutes ago
Actually,&#65279; Natosha is my wife's name...spelled the same way. CK

Poor goats. Hope other maps are more open, this one looks like a series of corridors
That's more the nature of doing a practiced demo runthroughs than the area. You can see the map continues off to the east beyond the gas station, there's a side-path towards the farm on the ridge when we run up to Anna. At the first raider checkpoint you can veer off east to sneak beyond them or flank them, at the second there's a narrow mine-laden path in the south-west to avoid that fight that you can perception your way through or gain info on. It goes all over the place, but for demo purposes, we had a specific run in mind, and that makes it look more narrow. It is also more canyon-corridored than some other maps, that's probably true.

CushVA

That's more the nature of doing a practiced demo runthroughs than the area. You can see the map continues off to the east beyond the gas station, there's a side-path towards the farm on the ridge when we run up to Anna. At the first raider checkpoint you can veer off east to sneak beyond them or flank them, at the second there's a narrow mine-laden path in the south-west to avoid that fight that you can perception your way through or gain info on. It goes all over the place, but for demo purposes, we had a specific run in mind, and that makes it look more narrow. It is also more canyon-corridored than some other maps, that's probably true.

Cool, thanks for the info :)

inm8num2

I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet but read on the KS update page that the movement system is now square-based rather than hex-based. I don't particularly mind either way but I wonder what inspired the change?

Purkake4

Banned
Hmm, everything except for the level/terrain seems good, it seems a bit lo-fi. On the other hand, the portraits are amazing, probably the best I've ever seen.

zkylon

zkylewd
looks good, still not sure how I feel about the dialogue system but I can appreciate it being different/classic

edit: the backers only video is alright but as far as video dev blogs it's pretty standard stuff like you'd get in one of those PR dev videos. reminds me of the "developer commentary" I got of ass creed brotherhood, just a lot of PR stuff, but no gritty day to day stuff and candid footage of game development or anything like that. I want a 30 sec clip of writers brainstorming plot ideas, I want to learn about the difficulties of updating wl1's character system to this age, design breakthroughs, engine limitations, etc. etc.

dunno if I represent the majority tho :p

epmode

Brother None, do you know if Wasteland 2 supports any kind of UI scaling? I know that the UI is customizable but is it possible to actually change the size of graphical elements? Like, making the portraits larger or whatever. I'm a little worried that everything is going to be too small on high resolution monitors.

Perkel

Banned
I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet but read on the KS update page that the movement system is now square-based rather than hex-based. I don't particularly mind either way but I wonder what inspired the change?

It is one of views. In video they said that turn based combat can be played without grid.

As for why not hex i would say that this is good for isometric camera but when you have free camera in some cases characters move weird left right left right left right.

Just look in Fallout 1/2 and try to move straight up or down or left or right.

zkylon

zkylewd
new update on skills and attributes and stuff

more importantly new screenies
gvW3YP4.jpg
eXiC66s.jpg

seems like there'll be a nice amount of variety

new update on skills and attributes and stuff

more importantly new screenies

seems like there'll be a nice amount of variety
Yes, I love this update though they need to go into detail about the health system still and how that affects the flow of combat considering permadeath. I'm guessing that's for after beta to get things more solid. Overall, it's feeling a lot more clear now what the Fallout influence is, with AP use, in particular, being the main element fused with WL1. Everything else feels more or less WL. That's a good thing.

Yes, I love this update though they need to go into detail about the health system still and how that affects the flow of combat considering permadeath.

What do you have in mind?

CON is a basic HP system, with base values depending on stats and upgradeable on level up.

In combat, if you go down to 0 you go into UNC state, which can drop further intp comatose, critical and DEATH. You can get back up from unconscious after combat, but if you keep bleeding or keep being attacked the character will drop down further and eventually die, and death is death. That's why first aid is more important than it is in most other games, it can literally be a life-safer (so can surgeon, of course, but its applicability is a little different).

What do you have in mind?

CON is a basic HP system, with base values depending on stats and upgradeable on level up.

In combat, if you go down to 0 you go into UNC state, which can drop further intp comatose, critical and DEATH. You can get back up from unconscious after combat, but if you keep bleeding or keep being attacked the character will drop down further and eventually die, and death is death. That's why first aid is more important than it is in most other games, it can literally be a life-safer (so can surgeon, of course, but its applicability is a little different).

I know how it works from the original game, but I haven't seen anything officially covering the dynamics of how it could happen in-game with the new one. I mean, it has been referenced through the overview of healing skills as a part of the larger toolbox available to the player, but it still hasn't been fully described or shown in a combat situation that demonstrated the value of the health system and its associated skills to the backers...most of which don't know anything of the health system that WL1 used since most of them are only really familiar with Fallout which doesn't work anywhere near the same way, especially because it doesn't have a proper party system to create those moments of tactical decision-making as PCs' and NPCs' health statuses wind downward toward permadeath. I mean, that's a massive component to the flow of combat situations unique to WL and adds so much to critical moments that everyone recalls in that game. The next combat vid, whenever that happens, really ought to set that situation up for demo purposes.

I know how it works from the original game

I wasn't talking about the original game, I'm talking about this one. We explained UNC-to-death system in some demos in the GamesCom demos, and you can see someone go into unconscious mode in the video. I don't think we'll do a video dedicated to it. In fact I doubt we'll have time to do another video prior to the beta, and then a lot of people can just try it for themselves.

mclem

Interested to hear about the changes to Wasteland 1; good to see it's not a straight dump. Not sure I'm that enamoured by the high-res character portraits (certainly glad it's an optional toggle!), but integrating the paragraph text directly into the game is a very smart move. Music and VO is a nice option, too.

that mention of mount & blade (as a game who's map you can reference and people will know what you mean) wins my heart

Yep, I saw that Mount & Blade reference and felt all warm on the inside. That whole update sounds awesome.

Gonna be tough to ignore the beta. I think I'd rather jump in on this when its officially "released."

No level scaling and deadly environments holding secrets for those willing to risk it. Love that water and dehydration has become a mildly more important element to exploration, especially since the new world map should be massively larger, more complicated, and worth noodling around in. Really like what I'm reading. Also like the game-integrated paragraph book content for WL1, though I'm not sure why anyone would choose upscaled portraits when everything else is still intact with its chunky low-res-ness.

hahaha, perfect.

I like the survival stuff they mentioned a lot. how they're dealing with water spots and dehydration, good shit.
it's kinda funny, I'm assuming the pic is showing one of the oases they talked about? ...and well...it really looks like a cute little oasis with trees and everything hah. I somehow did not expect that, I just took it as an euphemism for various water sources

Wasteland 2
  • Backers: 61,290
  • Goal: $900,000
  • Raised: $2.9 million
  • Funded On: April 17, 2012
  • Original Estimated Release:October 2013
  • Current Estimated Release: TBD

Interplay's post-apocalyptic RPG Wasteland doesn't seem like the most logical choice for a sequel. Sure it was critically acclaimed and the spiritual predecessor to the Fallout series, but it came out in 1988, more than 25 years ago. But for Brian Fargo, co-founder of Interplay and the creator of Wasteland, a sequel always had been part of the plan. After forming inXile Entertainment with several fellow ex-Interplay employees, he pursued the more traditional publisher route to little avail. There just wasn't much interest in the sort of classic PC role playing game that he had in mind.

When Double Fine Adventure hit it big, Fargo saw an opportunity to return to a project that had long eluded him. The day after Schafer's Kickstarter went live, Fargo sent a company-wide email. "This is our chance," it read. "This is our chance for Wasteland."

"I stopped everything I was doing," Fargo later told WIRED, "and threw 100 percent of my energy into getting a website up right away so we could get fan feedback about not only what was important to them in the game, but what was important to them in the Kickstarter, in terms of stretch goals and backer rewards." A month later, Wasteland 2's Kickstarter went live, raising nearly $3 million, three times its $900,000 goal.

"When you bring in extra money," Fargo said, "you have two choices. One is to make the small game that you pitched and pocket the money, or two, you make a bigger game."

Now, $2.4 million -- what Fargo says inXile had to work with after Kickstarter fees and taxes -- might seem like a lot, but it depends on what you're doing. "If you're a small indie developer, you look at $2.4 million and say, 'What are they going to do with all that money,' while a larger guy will look at it and say, 'Our audio budget is twice that much, how are they going to do it?' In reality, that kind of money doesn't go a long way, so you have to be very clever in how you approach development."

What's the status now?

Wasteland 2's original Kickstarter pitch named this month as an estimated delivery date. "It's funny, because you have to put your date down on Kickstarter not knowing the scope of the game," Fargo said. "So we put a date down, but that was a very small project. Once we triple fund, and everybody says, 'Make the game much bigger,' does that date really apply anymore?"

When Fargo realized an October ship date wasn't going to happen, he decided instead to push for having a beta ready by then, opting to get at least something into backers' hands on time. The beta will deliver roughly 90 percent of the game's feature set, he says, albeit with some missing skills, sound effects, and animations here and there. But Wasteland is a narrative game, and inXile doesn't intend to give away the entire experience before release. Players will be able to explore most, if not all, of post-apocalyptic Arizona, but a large portion of the game takes place in Los Angeles — none of which will be accessible until the final release.

"It's such a transparent process," Fargo said. "I think that people aren't worried about you being late as long as you're showing updates, and you're communicating, and you're letting them touch and see things — as long as it's moving along, everybody's happy."

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/10/gaming-kickstarters/#slideid-81511

Beta probably won't be released this month. Not too bummed about it, but they could've done a better job at communicating.

mclem

I've just recieved a dispatch notice from J!NX. It doesn't say what it is (at all!), but given the timing I suspect it's the Wasteland 2 goodies.

Gazoinks

Sweeeet. I will console myself from my lack of beta by playing Wasteland The First this weekend (assuming it does actually come out that soon, would be awesome).

Talyn

Wasteland 1 is here! Backers check your Ranger Center accounts! GoG key for me, 'cause I like goodies. :p
I wish they had made it more clear that it was a choice between Steam or GOG. The way Fargo worded it on Twitter today made it sound like we got both so I clicked Steam because it was listed first. Now I'm locked out of the GOG bonuses which sucks. I'm suppose I've gotten too used to bundles where they give you keys for Steam, GOG and Desura.

Gazoinks

I wish they had made it more clear that it was a choice between Steam or GOG. The way Fargo worded it on Twitter today made it sound like we got both so I clicked Steam because it was listed first. Now I'm locked out of the GOG bonuses which sucks. I'm suppose I've gotten too used to bundles where they give you keys for Steam, GOG and Desura.

Yeah, with this kind of thing I always wish they just gave you keys for everything. At the very least, the GOG bonuses aren't really that exciting (and one of them is currently broken).

Fyi, there's instructions on how to use custom portraits in the portrait folder in the install directory.

Talyn

Yeah, with this kind of thing I always wish they just gave you keys for everything. At the very least, the GOG bonuses aren't really that exciting (and one of them is currently broken).

Fyi, there's instructions on how to use custom portraits in the portrait folder in the install directory.
It appears the GOG bonuses weren't meant to be exclusive as Steam just updated my game with a new Extras folder that contains all that stuff. Glad to see Inxile handle this so quickly.

Gazoinks

It appears the GOG bonuses weren't meant to be exclusive as Steam just updated my game with a new Extras folder that contains all that stuff. Glad to see Inxile handle this so quickly.

Oh, well now I sort of wish I'd picked Steam. >.> Not a big deal, though. I'll be Wastelanding tonight!

Steam or GOG? That is a little disappointing. I figured we'd get both.

I'll probably go DRM free if I have to choose.

Edit: I should say client free as I'm not sure if it has DRM

inm8num2

Steam or GOG? That is a little disappointing. I figured we'd get both.

I'll probably go DRM free if I have to choose.

Edit: I should say client free as I'm not sure if it has DRM

No DRM with the Steam version (read this somewhere). You can move the game files to another folder, back them up, etc.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Went with the Steam version. Glad the extras were included with it.

Guess I should finally get around to playing it!

pa22word

So uh I know that torment backers have gotten an update regarding the status of WL1 redemption and their copies, but what about Project Eternity backers who are entitled to free WL2 copies?

oipic

So uh I know that torment backers have gotten an update regarding the status of WL1 redemption and their copies, but what about Project Eternity backers who are entitled to free WL2 copies?

Torment backers eligible for a copy of the original Wasteland should be able to find their keys etc on the 'Donations' page (once logged in here).

Top Bottom