• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

Portugeezer

0L03AEd.jpg

guzHFKH.jpg

4HYPiGt.jpg

robin2

I like the dam (is that a dam or a prison wall?) screen the most.
I'm so glad they didn't opt for a muffled color palette.

zkylon

zkylewd
the dof should probably still be toned down a bit, makes the game look a bit like on a macro lens.

maybe it's better in motion, idk

also is one of the teammembers wearing a sombrero on the last pic? if yes that's awesome

akira28

the dof should probably still be toned down a bit, makes the game look a bit like on a macro lens.

maybe it's better in motion, idk

also is one of the teammembers wearing a sombrero on the last pic? if yes that's awesome

MexiCAN, not Mexican't.

CushVA

New article on Acknowledging Gender, Discrimination: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/09/how-wasteland-2-will-acknowledge-gender-discrimination/
“That particular character loves all-women parties,” Findley continued, still referring to the merchant. “But some characters might not give any information to an all-women party, because they might have a problem with women. The idea is to make each NPC unique in their world view. A guy might be more likely to give women information or more likely to give men information. This guy specifically, I think he says something inappropriate, and then raises his prices.”

“Whatever your party makeup, however the world reacts to it, there’s nothing that’s like, ‘This is the right one. This gives you an advantage. This other one is the wrong one.’ There’s enough diversity in the characters that you deal with that no matter how it’s made up, there will be some advantages and some disadvantages,” Findley clarified.

zkylon

zkylewd
awesome, I love when games react to my character gender and they all treat me like shit for being a girl and then I cut their heads off.

one of my most loved thing about mount & blade, create a lady character and prepare to get mysoginized

wish more games acknowledged stuff like that. I always wanted age in the fallout games to matter, race should too. it'd be pretty awesome

Funny how I was worried about this game a while ago and now everything I read about it sounds fantastic.
you worry too much bro

you gotta cast away the hate and let in the love

FACE

Banned
http://www.thealistdaily.com/news/the-indie-revolution/

The console market is something that Fargo plans to think about after Wasteland II has shipped. Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo are all saying that indies are more important to them, but the details still haven't been fully revealed. “It's been happening, and I've heard from Microsoft,” Fargo said. He recalls how it used to be when dealing with Microsoft. “I used to want to publish directly on the Xbox, and it was 'OK, how many retail SKUs are you going to put out?' I always felt there was there this huge disconnect – why do I have to put products on a retail shelf in order to be on XBLA?”

Hmmm... Imminent betrayalton and meltdowns?

meh.
who would even want console titles? hardcore inxile fans? I don't know. "regular" console gamers? I doubt it. ;o
but who knows what they're aiming for with that one.
with every other dev I'd be much more worried about this though. fargo just isn't a sell-out type of guy, I think he made it clear he just wants to make the games he wants and I really trust inxile with what they say. so it's no reason for a meltdown just yet, it's still good it's still good.

Labadal

I honestly feel that the game wouldn't be that bad on consoles as long as it is:
1. Developed for PC first
2. UI gets twaeked for a controller

The game is turn based and I belive that it wouldn't be such a big deal.

If this had been rtwp, I would have been 100% against it.

I honestly feel that the game wouldn't be that bad on consoles as long as it is:
1. Developed for PC first
2. UI gets twaeked for a controller

The game is turn based and I belive that it wouldn't be such a big deal.

If this had been rtwp, I would have been 100% against it.

oh so this is solely about wasteland 2 and no other upcoming titles?
I should read more carefully

No, this isn't about W2. It's just a thiught that popped up in my head when I read the article.

well console gamers bought a shitload of x-com

I don't know about x-com sales but the mechanics worked pretty well on a console imo. so let's just say something like WL2 would at the very least be imaginable on a console. (although I really don't care for it) but something like ToN and stuff? hell naw. :(

zkylon

zkylewd
Not really, was really low on the NPD chart it's opening month and had no legs.

maybe I'm wrong but didn't it sell like a million copies?

XCOM: EU's interface when you're playing with KB&M is terrible, needless to say I'd be pretty pissed if the same thing happened to WL2(not likely).
well wl2 already has an interface so I don't think this would be an issue

inm8num2

The UI seems to fit the overall "look" of the game to me. And from what I could tell in that demo from back in March or so, it appears to be easy to use.

DTKT

The only thing that seems awkward is the scrolling text paper thing. It's going to be a pain in the ass to click those little arrows to check all the text when it's spaced like that. I'd take a more modern display with more screen space and some more control on what you want to see.

inm8num2

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/w...13/08/23/reshaping-wastelands-open-world.aspx

The game’s story is pretty massive; the script alone features over 400,000 words and is still growing. However, the most impressive aspect of Wasteland 2 so far is how gamers are able to influence the story and shape the world around them.

For example, early on in our journey through the Wasteland demo at Gamescom, we ran into a character named Fred. Fred is a merchant, but he can’t sell us anything because his cart is stuck in a mud pit. After talking with Fred, we decide to help him out. One of our characters has a skill call brute force, which allows him to move heavy objects, so we use that character to move Fred’s cart. Now we can buy all kinds of great stuff from his shop.

Wasteland 2’s world is persistent and evolving. Since we helped Fred, we’ll likely run into him again a few hours down the road, and he’ll have better stuff to trade for. However, players can choose to kill any person in the game. If we killed Fred instead of helping him, for example, we’d never see him again. Alternatively, if we killed his goat, he’d be pissed at us for the rest of the game. Wasteland 2 has no karma bar or morality meter; no one is judging players for the actions they take, but the world reacts to what they do in logical ways.

Preview roundup (numerous languages).

dude

dude
This preview doesn't explain how freedom is actually in the game. Sure, I could not help Fred or kill him, but why would I? If I can gain access to a new shop with items, why wouldn't I help him every single time? In order to fully role-play I must not have an optimal path that I know is the smartest to take, and this preview doesn't go into any detail of the alternative paths and why would anyone take them.

Perkel

Banned
This preview doesn't explain how freedom is actually in the game. Sure, I could not help Fred or kill him, but why would I? If I can gain access to a new shop with items, why wouldn't I help him every single time? In order to fully role-play I must not have an optimal path that I know is the smartest to take, and this preview doesn't go into any detail of the alternative paths and why would anyone take them.

What if next Fred will be trap ?

dude

dude
What if next Fred will be trap ?

Maybe, and maybe this Fred is a scam store who fucks you over constantly. Maybe Fred is an enemy of some faction and helping him get you on their wrong side. Maybe helping Fred is time consuming and you must miss some other thing if you do it.
There are a literally endless ways to this, but this preview doesn't say which way the developers chose if at all. It doesn't convey how much freedom the game gives you, if any.

mclem

I don't think it's necessarily, uh, necessary to reward every single option, if that's what you're driving at; it doesn't have to be a direct trade-off. I think for *true* roleplaying you have to have the possibility that picking one path gives you no benefit at all, but if you're a dedicated roleplayer, you'll stick to it. It may not be beneficial to be a totally amoral sociopath in many situations, but that's okay, because it's what you've chosen to roleplay.

dude

dude
I don't think it's necessarily, uh, necessary to reward every single option, if that's what you're driving at; it doesn't have to be a direct trade-off. I think for *true* roleplaying you have to have the possibility that picking one path gives you no benefit at all, but if you're a dedicated roleplayer, you'll stick to it. It may not be beneficial to be a totally amoral sociopath in many situations, but that's okay, because it's what you've chosen to roleplay.

Not every action must be rewarded per se... But In every instance in which the player must choose between several options, you must make each option matter. If you have this guy, and you can either help him or not help him or kill him, if helping him is clearly the better choice, other players will just load and do that - regardless of their character, because now they have less content (one less NPC and one less shop). Freedom will come if the player does not feel cheated out of content if he chooses to role-play. Killing someone or not performing an action or quest usually results in strictly losing content, so I'm interested to know is Wasteland 2 solves this problem by providing you with decent incentive to do all these options they built into the game. Not everything should reward the player equally or at all, but the game must always keep you satisfied with the choice you made.
Being mechanically able to kill someone is utterly useless if you are never given any incentive to do so and cannot count as granting the player freedom.

CushVA

New (and lengthy) Preview from Wasteland 2 Guru: http://www.wasteland2guru.com/news/25539-wasteland-2-preview-to-gamescom-and-beyond

Story-wise of the game is intended to be be non-linear, in the best traditions of the original game. However, Wasteland 2 goes beyond that and also introduces non-standard game endings. Fargo elaborated on this concept, stating that one of these results from the player straying too far away from the Rangers' code and values. If the player's team gun downs everything that moves (and shoots everything that doesn't until it starts moving), then General Vargas will cut them loose and deploy kill squads to track down and kill the player's team, leading to a different storyline and ending, at the expense of some 40% of the game. Yes, you can actually kill everyone you meet. Yes, the game will shut you off from certain content or alter it depending on your choices. No, you won't see everything on one playthrough. For example, in the first 30 minutes of the game you will have to make a decision and save either Highpool or the Agricultural Center, leading to tangible consequences both in the long and short term.

This preview doesn't explain how freedom is actually in the game. Sure, I could not help Fred or kill him, but why would I?
If you do, you can take his stuff, and you get XP for killing him. Because it's an isolated situation so no one sees you, there's no other penalty (there's no "karma" system), it's just up to you.

The game doesn't really actively encourage you to gun down random NPCs though, that's really just an option we wanted to leave open to players, not necessarily a good path to take. Violence can be a solution to tricky or stalemate situations, but for poor innocent merchants, it's not necessarily meant to be the best solution.

Top Bottom