• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

kd-z

So i finally beat this game an hour ago.

Overall I found it to be quite a disappointment. Obviously, since it took me over a month to play through it (I started playing day one, but to be honest life and school have been quite intense in October so I didn't play much of anything).

The biggest thng is that I just didn't care about most of the story and world. The Church of Salvation, Dugan's bots, The Mannerites and the Robbinsons, the Atchinsons and the Topekans, Red Scorpion Militia - I honestly barely cared about any of it and it's hard to pinpoint why. I guess the only thing left to blame is "the writing".

For example, why is there so much of it? I'm aware this may sound like a weird thing to say about a big-ass western cRPG, but this game feels overwritten. Every unimportant NPC has a paragraph or two to say about everything. I've read two dozen descriptions of every organisation or major character and they were mostly the same stuff, just put into words differently. Sure, I didn't HAVE to choose all the dialogue options, but who knows when one will lead to a new sidequest?

It's also worth pointing out that there are barely any actual conversations here - it's mostly exposition with an occasional choice to make. At least that's what it felt like to me.

There were a lot of weird choices in how stats and abilities were handled, too. Why have Brute Strength when you could just do a strength check? Speaking of the game's mechanics, weapon progression is totally out of balance. The M16, which can be easily bought at the very beginning, is the best example.

Over time the combat encounters became samey and they never had the tension and emotions of, say, XCOM. I played on the default difficulty and can't remember anything being much of a challenge. The endgame battles were mostly just about big numbers ,which was very unticlimactic.

Sorry if I'm rambling, but it's kind of hard for me to focus my written opinion of the game around a central theme. it wasn't bad - on the contrary, it was quite alright - but I would find it hard to recommend it to anyone. The flaws are just too big and the high points definitely not high enough.

ParityBit

OK ... I think I hit a ton of bugs in
Hollywood.

I can not figure out how to trigger Mistress Veronica. I talked to 3 groups for votes and got her lover into power. I did the radio and went back to tell her the good news, but it does not give me the option to tell her I got the votes. It just says 'no' as an option??

Also I can not help Maggie with the penitents for some reason. No idea what to do there.

Lastly I have a quest to help Heidi, but obviously I went another direction.

Any idea guys or do I just try to finish the game by moving on?

Niahak

Darn, I just beat the game the other day. Oh well, things were only a little bit janky in the final sections.

Glad that this won't be causing anyone else trouble in Griffith park:

Fixed wrong NPCs turning hostile in Griffith Park by killing gate guard after undertaking Ascension McDade’s quest.

This was especially rough on me because
the gate guards are hostile!

Volodja

Darn, I just beat the game the other day. Oh well, things were only a little bit janky in the final sections.

Glad that this won't be causing anyone else trouble in Griffith park:

This was especially rough on me because
the gate guards are hostile!
Gotta be honest, everyone being hostile in that place made me rich because of the merchants attacking me and then dropping their entire inventory.

Niahak

Gotta be honest, everyone being hostile in that place made me rich because of the merchants attacking me and then dropping their entire inventory.

That helped me too, although I had plenty of scrap at that point anyway. It did get me enough ammo to consider using miniguns, though!

It felt kind of weird
shooting every person in Griffith Park who wasn't McDade or the leader's wife. Even the radio tower people after the peace events were hostile. Who was still alive to participate in the reformed church?

Oh yeah, could someone let me know where the
gamma ray
is? I'm just curious since I missed it - not that I needed it, things were pretty easy aside from the final fight.

Volodja

That helped me too, although I had plenty of scrap at that point anyway. It did get me enough ammo to consider using miniguns, though!

It felt kind of weird
shooting every person in Griffith Park who wasn't McDade or the leader's wife. Even the radio tower people after the peace events were hostile. Who was still alive to participate in the reformed church?

Oh yeah, could someone let me know where the
gamma ray
is? I'm just curious since I missed it - not that I needed it, things were pretty easy aside from the final fight.
It was one of the reclamation weapons and I think you got it by using the repair toasters skill?
I don't know exactly how since I never really leveled that skill.

Any physical backers get their box yet?

Edit: Ruh roh, pics on prior page from a month ago -- guess I need to write inXile.
Edit 2: Looks like CE boxes haven't shipped yet, so I'll wait and see a bit longer.

Dr.Acula

Banned
http://wastelandrpg.tumblr.com/post/104183321991/kickstarter-update-58-life-beyond-release

Shipping! I got my confirmation:

Hello Backer,

We're happy to inform you that your Collectors Edition of Wasteland 2 has shipped! Thank you for your patience! We hope that you will receive it soon and in good order.

We do not have order tracking on these shipments. Our estimate for order arrival is approximately one to two weeks for North American/European residents (longer for those in other territories). Please note that depending on your shipping address and local mail service, it may take longer to arrive.

If you have not already, we encourage you to visit the Ranger Center and grab a Steam or GOG.com key to start enjoying the game right now. We just released Patch 4; it brings a ton of changes and improvements. And rest assured, we are committed to improving Wasteland 2 long into the future.
https://rangercenter.inxile-entertainment.com

Once again: thanks for all your support and patience! We hope you enjoy Wasteland 2 and your rewards for many years to come.

Best,
inXile entertainment

P.S. Signed collectors editions, editions with extra backer boxes, medals, etc. have not started shipping. We will send additional emails to people receiving those rewards.

Ehhh, after divinity this game is hard to enjoy.
The combat isn't remotely as good (divinity OS has such well designed encounters that are like puzzles , xcom has such fun encounters too, this is just bad by comparison.
The art and graphics are pretty bad too (and no not because it's an oldschool game, e.g commandos had 100x nicer art than this back in the day).

xenist

Fuck you Rose you crazy fucking weirdo. I swear the next time she loses it and darts off to fight a bunch of mobs on her own I'm leaving her ass dead. A full third of the fights end up with her messing up my formations.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Where is the storage locker and a trader on my base in California? I have just
recruited Pistol Pete now
, so that's where I'm at currently but when I got back to the base traiders dart off.

New patch today.
1,023.3 MB.
Damn it, Unity.

Partial Change log (It's HUGE.)
Wasteland 2 Patch 5 Release Notes (61997)

Aaannd here we go! Patch 5 for Wasteland 2 is out, featuring a bevy of fixes, changes and improvements for your gaming enjoyment!

Highlights
Added Castilian Spanish community localization to the game. It can be selected by picking "español castellano" from the Gameplay Options menu. Existing Spanish language players will have their language defaulted to the now-renamed "español americano" option.
Large localized text clean up for all languages
Optimized the way random encounter data is stored to reduce loading time and file size.
Added more sound effects throughout the game.
Clean-up of smaller bug fixes throughout the game.
Full change list can be found here: http://wastelandrpg.tumblr.com/post/105289968981/wasteland-2-patch-5-release-notes-6199797

I really ought to buck up and barrel through the second half of the game now. The almighty Catalyst Omega drivers probably fixed the framerate problems I had previously... or else one of these patches did the trick.

Dunbar

I wonder if they would consider making an announcement when they're done patching the game and it's actually ready to play. I've thought about jumping in several times, but I always see one of these patches released soon after and I think, nope, not yet.

I wonder if they would consider making an announcement when they're done patching the game and it's actually ready to play. I've thought about jumping in several times, but I always see one of these patches released soon after and I think, nope, not yet.

The first half of the game was perfectly fine a month ago and after all these patches I can't imagine the second half is in any sort of rough shape at this point, either.

It's time. Jump into the wasteland, brave Ranger Dunbar.

Edit: There was another update, 4.2 MB. Not sure what it fixed... probably correcting something small.

I kickstarted Wasteland 2 way back when but for whatever reason it has sat in my backlog for months. Would now be a good time to jump in? Looks like there was a pretty sizable patch 2 weeks ago, is the game relatively balanced and stable?

If I take the plunge, can anyone point me to a solid character build guide?

Thanks!

Niahak

I kickstarted Wasteland 2 way back when but for whatever reason it has sat in my backlog for months. Would now be a good time to jump in? Looks like there was a pretty sizable patch 2 weeks ago, is the game relatively balanced and stable?

Thanks!

It was pretty stable when I finished it a couple patches ago. Now should be a good time!

I haven't seen an extensive character build guide, but here are a few tips:

• INT is the best stat, recommend at least one character with 8 and the rest with 4
  • CHA is only useful on one character, and they should have leadership as their primary skill and close to (if not) max Charisma
  • Luck is not very useful. It does decrease chance of crit failing, and increase crit successes, but skill points are much more important for everything.
  • Action points are important, 10 is ideal but 8 is probably okay.
  • Useful skills early are
    lockpicking, awareness, safecracking, and everyone should have at least one weapon skill. Mech Repair becomes more prominent later and can save you if you crit fail a lockpick. Explosives is important but not necessary early. Early NPCs can help you with some of them (i.e. an early one has hard ass & brute force)
  • As far as weapons go -
    Assault Rifles are best followed by Sniper Rifles. Pistols are okay early but terrible later on. Shotguns can be situational, same with SMGs and Heavy Weapons (with HW being the best of the three). Melee weapons are fun but higher risk since you'll have to run up to the enemy, Brawling is probably the best of the set only because you'll crit most of the time later.

I'm sure others will have suggestions as well, but this worked pretty well for me.

Thanks!

The only tip I have is that you'll be able to get along with sub-optimal builds, or at least I have so far... so don't sweat the small mistakes.

r1chard

Wow.

So a few people said I should probably play this one, so I bought it on Monday. NYE was spent playing it solid from 5pm to 2am. This morning I woke up at 8am to continue playing it... and it's now 7:30pm and I really should eat something.

Haven't been this hooked by a game in a long time. Amazing job, devs!!

how has the bug fixing gone? my backlog is big enough that I can hold off on a purchase until it goes even further down in price (I know $20 is cheap, but I'm just now getting to Borderlands 2). Are the patches pretty regular?

Quick question, does the combat ever get more interesting or diverse? I think I've been spoiled by Divinity Original Sin and by a lesser extend X-Com, but the combat is pretty dull right now. None of my characters have any unique combat skills or abilities, and on top of that most of zones I have fought in don't even have much cover or elevation available so it's basically just crouch + shoot every turn with every character.

Is that all there is to the combat? To be fair I am currently super early in the game, but just want to know what to expect.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Clocked this for about 10-hours so far. Just got the
radiation suits or whatever
. Absolutely loving the game at this point, in fact while I consider Divinity Original Sin to be a better game, I'm actually finding this is offering a stronger role-playing experience in terms of the reactivity of the world in terms of your character builds and stuff, plus the writing and atmosphere is also a tad more engaging.

Definitely everything I hoped for when I kickstarted it, despite it's flaws and all. If this game had X-COM quality combat it would definitely be something special, but at this point I'm glad games like this are being made again and hope we get a Wasteland 3.

Quick question, does the combat ever get more interesting or diverse? I think I've been spoiled by Divinity Original Sin and by a lesser extend X-Com, but the combat is pretty dull right now. None of my characters have any unique combat skills or abilities, and on top of that most of zones I have fought in don't even have much cover or elevation available so it's basically just crouch + shoot every turn with every character.

Is that all there is to the combat? To be fair I am currently super early in the game, but just want to know what to expect.

The enemies will start to change up once you're in approaching the latter half of the game, but the core mechanics you have at your desposal never really change... unless I missed something big, that is

From what I've played so far, I'd say maybe every tenth battle (barring random encounters which always suck) presents an interesting combat scenario, with all the rest being straightforward in nature. Your choice of weapons will decide how challenging battles become, but, overall, I don't believe they'll be anything more than tests of patience in the long run.

I finally got this game during the steam sale and it has sucked me right in. So damn good. One question with a yes or no type answer please (I've avoided all spoilers so far). I just found
Vax
, and in the couple of fights with it so far it is damn suicidal. Is it just a cool bonus, or should I concern myself with its health? Babysitting could become frustrating. :)

r1chard

I finally got this game during the steam sale and it has sucked me right in. So damn good. One question with a yes or no type answer please (I've avoided all spoilers so far). I just found
Vax
, and in the couple of fights with it so far it is damn suicidal. Is it just a cool bonus, or should I concern myself with its health? Babysitting could become frustrating. :)
Yeah, it's kinda fun to have around for a while (especially when
it charges into the fray yelling "DIE HUMANS" when you're fighting robots
;) Healing it is a pain in the ass, since you only get one health back for each "heal".

I put more time into the game, and to be honest, the combat system is kinda bumming me out. I'm trying not to be negative, because I'm enjoying so much of this game, but the AI seems...horrible? The maps seem well made, with various spots for cover, but as soon as I'm spotted, the entire area of baddies rush me, meaning every fight takes place outside of the combat area, so I'm fighting on the path before the designed combat area is.

Plenty of cover seems broken when I do use it. Visually, I have nice cover and a good line of sight on an enemy, but then it shows as no LOS.

It's not too hard or anything, I can draw them out to take care of them, but is every fight going to be funneling enemies down the entrance path, then noticing all the nice cover after the fight is over and you're getting your loot on?

The story is interesting, the world is fun to explore, the characters can be funny, annoying, or sympathetic to nice effect, and it's nice to play a game of this type again, but the gameplay is worrying since this is a nice long game.

madp0k

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but was wondering if some one knows what I'm doing wrong.

At the start

I'm back at highpool, killed the wreckers hideout, sorted out the valves, put the fire out, found the blokes dog etc etc, have just the prisoner to talk to berfore speaking to Kate about the election, Sean is happy with me after killing the wreckers, can't get to the election unless I speak to the prisoner, wether I allow her to come with me or not makes no difference as Kate loses the election by a landslide and sean tells me to fuck off when everything points to kate winning and I then can't get the power onto the radio tower etc, am I doing something wrong or is that what happens?

Wag

OK, I just bought the game and this might sound stupid but I have no idea how to load ammo. Can someone please help?

Dr.Acula

Banned
OK, I just bought the game and this might sound stupid but I have no idea how to load ammo. Can someone please help?

There should be a button for it. Failing that, press space twice to go single person/whole party and press 'r'. You also need the relevant ammo in that character's inventory.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but was wondering if some one knows what I'm doing wrong.

At the start

I'm back at highpool, killed the wreckers hideout, sorted out the valves, put the fire out, found the blokes dog etc etc, have just the prisoner to talk to berfore speaking to Kate about the election, Sean is happy with me after killing the wreckers, can't get to the election unless I speak to the prisoner, wether I allow her to come with me or not makes no difference as Kate loses the election by a landslide and sean tells me to fuck off when everything points to kate winning and I then can't get the power onto the radio tower etc, am I doing something wrong or is that what happens?

Use
surgery on the patients in the hospital in the back.

madp0k

Down the bottom in the middle of the screen should be some buttons, the furthest right is reload I think. Or right click on the character in question bringing up the inventory screen, aslong as the weapon you want to reload is in the primary slot you can drag the ammo on to it to reload.

madp0k

There should be a button for it. Failing that, press space twice to go single person/whole party and press 'r'. You also need the relevant ammo in that character's inventory.

Use
surgery on the patients in the hospital in the back.

You are a bloody star, get yourself a beer or two :)

She's the mayor now but she still won't trigger the radio tower convo fixy bit :(

Edit, sorted it now :)

RickD

Just have to post to say I love this game. It's actually dragging me away from destiny! Im looking for
demonta
at the moment, but gave been side tracked by the rail camp.
Just reminds me of being sat on my pentium ignoring college work and playing fallout 😄

Any plans for number 3?

After my initial impressions after around 15 hours in the game (where everything is great, combat is boring), I gave it another chance, and I'm enjoying it more now. Combat still isn't all that exciting, but I'll work with it.

Now, is there still going to be a patch to balance weapons in the game, or was patch 5 it? My Rangers with bladed weapons and shotguns seem to be almost useless in every fight. I would have said the same about my guy using energy weapons, but when facing something with high armor, he tears them up.

One other thing is I almost wish there was no friendly fire. I don't mind having it in a game, but it's so inconsistent that it seems more RNG like everything else, rather than something you can plan around using proper tactics. Unless you can always shoot over someones head that is crouching, but the terrain is playing a role? It's so hard to tell with the camera (and cover) sometimes, I guess that could be it.

Everything non combat related is going great. :D

In my ~30 hours with the game my shotgunner has killed maybe 10 units with said shotguns. At times when he could hit more enemies, the friendly fire incurred would simply not be worth it. Changing the range or spread on them via mods further worsens the drawbacks to the weapon, namely low damage to AP ratio or friendly fire incidents, and renders them entirely as a "last resort" sort of weapon. I think that character has spent more time skipping a turn or being a meatshield than actually firing the darn thing...

I regret everything about how I specced that character.

Labadal

In my ~30 hours with the game my shotgunner has killed maybe 10 units with said shotguns. At times when he could hit more enemies, the friendly fire incurred would simply not be worth it. Changing the range or spread on them via mods further worsens the drawbacks to the weapon, namely low damage to AP ratio or friendly fire incidents, and renders them entirely as a "last resort" sort of weapon. I think that character has spent more time skipping a turn or being a meatshield than actually firing the darn thing...

I regret everything about how I specced that character.

I'm 40 or 50 hours in and my shotgunner is a beast. I actually have two of them equipped with the highest armour available. They are my meatshields and great damage dealers. Send them in to the closest cover and have at thine enemy. When they are in tight spaces, I have specced them with melee weapons. Strength is great for these characters.Then have a sniper or two. I also have one guy with energy/machine guns. One with assault rifles/heavy weapons and a pure melee character (a NPC.)

danthefan

So I bought this at release and tbh it didn't really grab me, I played a few hours and just kinda stopped. I noticed a while back it downloaded a huge patch (like over a GB), so just wondering has the game changed at all since release? Now I'm sure that fundamentally it's the same game but have the patches improved things?

Niahak

So I bought this at release and tbh it didn't really grab me, I played a few hours and just kinda stopped. I noticed a while back it downloaded a huge patch (like over a GB), so just wondering has the game changed at all since release? Now I'm sure that fundamentally it's the same game but have the patches improved things?
The opening sections are pretty much identical with a couple of minor fixes (some portrait mismatches fixed, Leadership accuracy bug fixed).

Most of the biggest changes have been in the later sections of the game which were a little less linear and pretty buggy at release. It's improved a bit overall, but if it didn't grab you at release, there haven't been any new "wow" features or anything.

Kinthalis

Banned
So I beat the game last night after a hiatus for Dragon Age: Inquisition (what a waste of time!) and I clocked in 69 hours. Now, I got kind of lost when I came back to the game, I had gotten to Griffith Park and totally forgot about Hollywood, so I pretty much left that entire city untouched.

Some thoughts:

I enjoyed the mechanics of combat a lot, even though it really wasn't as tight as I would have liked. Not enough importance to flanking and positioning, and it was difficult to get your party into a advantageous points anyway pre-battle. I usually just ended up with my party going down on one knee in a fanned out formation. I think it also could have used with a balancing pass. It was quite difficult and unforgiving early on, but a cakewalk later on in the game.

Even so, I had a lot of fun engaging the enemies the wasteland threw at me, and for a game with such a tiny budget, there was definitely a nice variety of enemies.

I cared a lot about my companions, and the rangers as an organization, and their ultimate fate. Vargas, Angela, Rose, Scotchmo, Pizepi, specially I relaly enjoyed having along in my adventure. I would have definitely liked some more interaciton and dialogue with them though :( The night terror was also funny to have tag along.

In terms of narrative I really liked the thread of dealing with the immediate environs in Arizona. The various need sof the communities, the various facitons fighting it out, the search for the the murderer of Razor and of the source of the strange broadcasts, leading up to the robot awakening over in Damonta.

But once you hit LA, I started to find the story less interesting. The factions there were just not very engaging. The narrative threads starter to unravel a bit I think, and the quests and characters were just not as interesting, IMHO.

I enjoyed my romp through the wastes a lot more than myt ime with DA:I which si a wonder - a crpg with a shoe string budget in a series I wasn't very familiar wiht at all (outside fallout) coming on top of a huge AAA RPG whose franchise I adore.

I really hope they have plans for asequel or meaty expansion. Hopefully a tighter, narrower focus, but wiht higher production values.

Quick question gaf, so should I let Rick
the AWOL guy go or take him back to the brig? I started to think he was the guy for a second who was going to bring medicine to the sick woman in the prison, I know his names not Elroy..

Anyways what should I do?

Niahak

Quick question gaf, so should I let Rick
the AWOL guy go or take him back to the brig? I started to think he was the guy for a second who was going to bring medicine to the sick woman in the prison, I know his names not Elroy..

Anyways what should I do?

It didn't matter much either way when I was playing.
If you let him go, you get yelled at briefly over the radio. I never got yelled at back at the ranger base, but I saw some patch notes that implied they added that in.
I ended up re-loading and taking him back into the Brig. I don't think the game really supports the idea of an actual penalty from the Rangers, but maybe having Vargas yell at you is punishment enough.

I suspect if you let him go, you might get a small reward later in Damonta from a character you will meet there. If you took him back, that character will still reluctantly assist you (though they're just as likely to get themselves killed in combat anyway).

Lookie what came in the mail today:

inUwUUp.jpg

Top Bottom