• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

_Clash_

Lookie what came in the mail today:

inUwUUp.jpg

Very cool.

Starting a playthrough this afternoon.

Dsyndrome

Patch 6 released. Looks huge.
Greetings, Rangers! Wasteland 2’s newest patch is now live. What’s to tell? We’ve introduced Steam Achievements for Mac OS X and Linux players, for one!

Additionally, we’ve corrected a couple of critical quest bugs, plus an absolutely massive number of smaller issues with in-game object details, cleaned up behavior when the player does unexpected stuff (like poking new air-holes in an NPC’s head with an SMG right after accepting their quest to track down that family heirloom), and have updated the game’s text in both English and other languages. This one is in the running for being our biggest Wasteland 2 patch so far - and certainly of the new year.
Changelog for the Patch

Terra_Ex

Guys should I go in guns blazing at Rodia or do this the talkative way......

I went in all guns blazing and later regretted it, the guy at the gate wasn't budging and it all snowballed from there. You'll miss out on a few quests if you go with the pure combat route. Although mowing down legions of enemies is kinda satisfying.

I went in all guns blazing and later regretted it, the guy at the gate wasn't budging and it all snowballed from there. You'll miss out on a few quests if you go with the pure combat route. Although mowing down legions of enemies is kinda satisfying.

I did that with the Prison slaughtered the RSK and get back to the Citadel and everyone is like "Hey great job taking out Danforth!!" "Yo awesome you took out the RSK!!"

I talk to Vargas and he tells me
"I wish you had found a peaceful solution"

-_-

It's kind of like how I chose neither side in nuke valley and felt that I made the wrong choice.

I really must finish this (I'm a few hours into California). It's either that or wait until the promised rebalancing patch and start over from scratch.

Niahak

It's kind of like how I chose neither side in nuke valley and felt that I made the wrong choice.

Red Skorpions:
There is a peaceful solution, but it's a little tricky to get to and I think you need near-maxed persuasion skills. Peaceful solution does 'feel' a lot better than I'd imagine a violent one did.
Nuke valley:
Pretty sure there is no good solution, but I did the same as you - defused the nuke and the valley became unruly. DMB seems no better than bandits and the Mad Monks might well have launched the nuke, since they didn't have a real one to begin with.

Nuke valley:
Pretty sure there is no good solution, but I did the same as you - defused the nuke and the valley became unruly. DMB seems no better than bandits and the Mad Monks might well have launched the nuke, since they didn't have a real one to begin with.

The answer is, of course, to
kill everyone in the valley; monks, mercenaries, and merchants all.

Red Skorpions:
There is a peaceful solution, but it's a little tricky to get to and I think you need near-maxed persuasion skills. Peaceful solution does 'feel' a lot better than I'd imagine a violent one did.
Nuke valley:

It really bugs me that persuasion options are in three different skill sets >>

Guess I'll have to wait until my 2nd playthrough.

Hey guys, been holding off on buying wasteland 2, pretty much just waiting out the buggy phase of the game into the phase everyone will remember the game for in years to come. As of the big patch they pushed out lately, do those who have been playing feel like the game is there? Please don't take me to be insinuating the game is a big broken glitch-fest that I haven't touched until now because I thought it was unplayable or anything. Not at all, the fact it has been quite playable has made it even harder to wait. I simply understand that (as with a lot of the best most well remembered crpgs), that sometimes mopping up the bugs and balancing this area and that weapon etc can take awhile with this kind of game, and I figured back around launch that I had plenty of backlog to work through, so I should work through that stuff first and get the best experience possible when I got around to wasteland. I've reached that point, so what do people think?

Tanis

Hey guys, been holding off on buying wasteland 2, pretty much just waiting out the buggy phase of the game into the phase everyone will remember the game for in years to come. As of the big patch they pushed out lately, do those who have been playing feel like the game is there? Please don't take me to be insinuating the game is a big broken glitch-fest that I haven't touched until now because I thought it was unplayable or anything. Not at all, the fact it has been quite playable has made it even harder to wait. I simply understand that (as with a lot of the best most well remembered crpgs), that sometimes mopping up the bugs and balancing this area and that weapon etc can take awhile with this kind of game, and I figured back around launch that I had plenty of backlog to work through, so I should work through that stuff first and get the best experience possible when I got around to wasteland. I've reached that point, so what do people think?

I finally started my first playthrough this weekend. 6 hours in and everything feels very polished. No crashes or bugs that I could spot.I couldn't tell you exactly what has changed recently but my own experience has been brilliant.

As far as I can tell there are still unbalanced aspects of the game which in my opinion is just the basic nature of these games. There is nothing stopping you of making a team of awful characters that would struggle to complete the game. Some skills are way more useful than others. Some weapon classes are better than others.

Can anyone tell me where in Santa Fe Springs
some of the new party members you recruit in Cali hang out at? I didn't take the guy who wanted to help in Rodia initially and told the God's Militia dude to hang around but I can't find them anywhere. I looked at the main building where I brought my crew from Arizona but I don't see the new recruits anywhere.

Wow, I honestly didn't expect this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/1149061

If you've been keeping a close eye on things, you might have heard tell that we're looking at doing some more balancing and improvements of Wasteland 2 in the future. We have expanded our original plan and decided that this is going to be a part of something much larger for all our fans.

So what’s the “something bigger” that I teased earlier? Let’s just say that the Orange County lifestyle might be getting to us as the game will be receiving a facelift. Unity 5 offers physically based shading, which is already starting to look amazing in the scenes we’ve touched up.

As well as visual improvements, we have quite a few quirky tricks up our sleeves. The character system is getting perked up and will include some new elements to modify gameplay. Of course, more details will be released in the future so stay tuned!

This kind of product support makes me feel way better about backing inXile's future endeavors.

Dsyndrome

Money! Playing this and Divinity now, have been holding off on getting too far into this with the upcoming rebalance coming sometime this year.

So where exactly am I supposed to find (angel oracle spoilers)
alternative meat for them? I was thinking, "oh that cow rancher who I met earlier would be a perfect trade partner for them" but nope. Can't do anything with that, it makes no sense about them bitching about the lack of alternatives for meat either when there's a bunch of wild pigs near the arena -_-

Finished the game, loved it! Took me 61 hours and did around ~95% of the missions. I'd say that there would be still hours of stuff I didn't do and 100s of hours of stuff I didn't see.

CushVA

RPS has highlighed the changes, and even provided two screenshots:

RPS said:
Here’s how it goes on the features front:
  • A new ‘Perks & Quirks’ system to customise your squad with
  • “Precision Strike”, which is a strangely dry way of saying you can now target enemies’ individual body parts
  • Balance, more item drops, ‘reworked combat encounters throughout the game’
  • “Thousands of lines” of new voiceover.

As for graphics, Wasteland 2 has moved to Unity 5 and come up with “improved environment textures, character models, and Physically Based Rendering for more impressive lighting.” Here’s another screenshot to how that looks in carefully-staged action:
wastel.jpg

waste2l.jpg

Sounds like it's going to be a huge improvement, based off this. Should add a lot of things that the game direly needed, like some more variation in combat.

Oddly, the thing I find myself wanting most is more portraits and character customisation (that actually compliments one-another). IIRC the first screenshot has some new character appearances, so inXile is aware.

Zalusithix

This might be deserving of its own thread in one of the forums, but there's a collab between inXile and Kings Wild Project for a Wasteland themed set of cards that's being Kickstarted. I think this marks the first high quality Kickstarter crossover between the video gaming side and the card gaming side.

Edit: Threw up a simple thread in the OT section as it deserves more visibility than an aging OT in community will give it.

Man the end section of the game freaking pissed me off lol
stupid Vargas lol, I get to back to Arizona and the first thing he does is bitch about not stopping Matthias in LA when I had just stormed the new citadel :/. Really dude?

edit: So is the DC edition going to be a complete separate game on steam? Was reading the inxile forums and they said that saves will not carry over from vanilla to the DC version. So I'm guessing that the DC version will be a complete different executable?

I have to admit, one of the best unexpected moments towards the end of the game was
when you were at the New Citadel and listening to Matthias broadcast and he plays a song saying "This song is for my friends in Arizon" and it turns out to be The Culture Club's "Do you want to hurt me" lol

I did not see that coming.

Top Bottom