• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

Volodja

How is dealing 240dmg with a single sniper shot (headshot mode, 90-100% accuracy) useful only sometimes, across one third of the map no less? I've been using the .50cal sniper for most of the second part of the game and it's been great.
Oh yeah. Sniper rifles were great too. Assaults ended up doing more damage for me but those characters had higher combat initiative (or whatever was the stat that defined the number of turns you get).

Finalow

.50 anti-materiel rifle

that's a broken sniper rifle, but you get it near the end of the game. before that I didn't really break the difficulty with sniper rifles as much as I did with assault rifles.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Gamma Ray Blaster is crazy broken. On Burst fire that kills virtually every enemy in one shot. Honey Badgers, dead. 300+ HP Heavy Gunners, dead, Super huge mecha dudes, dead. Everyone else, dead. It's beyond over powered. It pretty much alone took out the Scorpitron and made mince meat out of the energy canons.

Krakn3Dfx

Just showed up in the mail!
B0-5ORiCAAA3esO.jpg

B0-6_RACAAEuQdm.jpg

Sothpaw

I'm not that far into the game, but (despite my other criticisms about the battles) I'm not seeing this. Rifles are powerful, but SMGs outperform them in close-range single-target damage output, shotguns have higher damage against groups and energy weapons work much better against heavily armed targets.

As for INT, after reading the attribute descriptions for all attributes and thinking about it during character creation I made 4 characters with 8 or 10 int and 1 luck each. Haven't regretted it so far. Certainly not a game where "rather lucky than good" applies :p

Trust me man Gamma Ray Blaster > Assault Rifles >>> everything else in the game soon enough.

Gamma Ray Blaster is crazy broken. On Burst fire that kills virtually every enemy in one shot. Honey Badgers, dead. 300+ HP Heavy Gunners, dead, Super huge mecha dudes, dead. Everyone else, dead. It's beyond over powered. It pretty much alone took out the Scorpitron and made mince meat out of the energy canons.

Absolutely the best gun in the game. I don't have a huge problem with it being so good because it isn't exactly handed to your party and you can't purchase it.

I too have very much enjoyed the box, it was a funny feeling actually unboxing a new PC game...

Quick question, is the Steam code printed on our manuals the same as was sent out earlier? Have a friend I'd love to gift this to but I'm unsure if backers received two product keys.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I too have very much enjoyed the box, it was a funny feeling actually unboxing a new PC game...

Quick question, is the Steam code printed on our manuals the same as was sent out earlier? Have a friend I'd love to gift this to but I'm unsure if backers received two product keys.

Check your backer portal -are the keys the same or not?

I got two keys on my portal site, but I'm CE tier.

For those that got their boxes, what's the map like? What material is it printed on?

Finalow

any inXile game that is worth checking out? Besides WL2 I haven't played any of their games.

edit//I never used the Gamma Ray Blaster so I had no idea that it was that good.

Dunkelgrau

]blacky[;135715861 said:
So, that you cane save both towers Highpool and AG Center was just a bug in the beta, right?

Is there any other way to get rid of the juvies in Highpool than
giving them cigarets?

And has the prisoner-quest any influence on the election?

Shengar

I can't speak for SMGs - the only weapon type I didn't use - but both my shotguns and especially heavy weapons character were killing it for me in the second half of the game, both against human-ish and armoured enemies. Rifles were awesome throughout (although not so much against robots). I was dealing 100-120 dmg with the best triple-shot shotgun, up to 120/240+ dmg with the minigun (headshot mode).
Maybe when I get better shotguns, my impression will be like your. Hopefully.
Yeah... it becomes rather clear almost halfway through the game. Where I'm at, AR's are far and away the best weapon, superior in all respects. The only other useful ones are energy weapons and sniper rifles... sometimes.

In later half of the game, I think sniper rifles showing its diminished use. It still deal high damage, especially with that high critical rate. But enemies in California tends to be numerous in number, which makes the assault rifles by its burst shot attack damage much better for dealing against enemy with superiority in number.

Varna

uh, not really. there is a difference between having armor and not having armor when you take damage from bullets, same goes for energy weapons.

Unless you happen to get some really high tier armor early on enemy penetration will be eating through whatever armor you have effectively making it worthless. Later on you have to to question if you want armor on or not because of energy weapons.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
losing Angela Deth to some bullshit sucks big time. If Rose goes next then I'm in big shit.

I really have to finish this. Curse you, Football Manager.

(My secret hope is that inXile will keep patching it, the mod tools will let the community fix or improve a hundred other things, and a year or 18 months from now there'll be a shiny and improved Wasteland 2 to replay.)

So, my kickstarter boxed copy of the game FINALLY arrived yesterday! It's been way too long, the game released (digitally) over a month ago and I backed it back in 2012, but it's here at long last. Of course the game's been available on Steam, and I was given the key for that, but I wanted the boxed copy that I'd backed... and I have it, finally. Took more than long enough.

As for the game, I haven't really played it much yet, but it seems good. I can comment on the box, though. The box cover is the Wasteland 2 art, which is fantastic. The box is kind of medium-size for a cardboard box -- it's full-sized, but thinner than most later '90s PC game boxes were. Still, it's a 'big box' for sure, and looks nice. I do kind of wish that it pretended to be a real box, though, and not just a backer reward -- all that's on the back is a 'thanks for backing the game' message in six languages, three screenshots, and some Windows/Mac/Linux logos. There's no PR copy on the back describing the game, and no system requirements on the box! It should at least have that, it's a PC game... oh well. It's still pretty awesome. Inside, there's a ~97 page spiral-bound manual, a cloth map of the first region (of the two in the game), and the game (on two DVDs) in a nice cardboard/plastic case. The manual isn't the thickest, but it's all in full color, which is great, and the spiral bound is very cool; reminds me of the BGII manual, which also was spiral bound, albeit a lot thicker of course. I hope that the manual covers everything despite being slightly thin for a classic-style PC RPG manual. Full color makes up for some of that, though. And yeah, the map's cool as well. Great thing to have!

So yeah, I'm satisfied overall. Other boxed-tier kickstarters want a lot more than the $50 this one cost for the box; this was one of the earlier major gaming kickstarters, and they didn't quite have the costs of making boxed down I presume. For $50, it was definitely worth it! Of course though, you can't buy this now; it's backer-only. The game does have a retail version for sale, but that's just in the usual thick-DVD cases PC games come in today. Apparently it has two variants though, one with no paper manual and a thinner case, and a SE version or something with a manual. Though given that physical PC games are so uncommon outside of Europe, I doubt it'd be too easy to find... and it's got nothing on the large cardboard-box copy I have, that's for sure! :)

Paertan

Is there anyway to get more antidote for the "Fix Sues mistake" sidequest?
I got three people infected during the AG Center quest and did not think much about it untill I cleared Infected Pump station and noticed I was out of antidote.

subversus

Travelling without outdoorman skill sucks. I hate filler combat. Is there any way to avoid this? Angela Deth is in the citadel and I'm going to Damonta.

Finalow

Not really. Honestly all their other games are....mediocre at best.
Edit: Well, some people like Bard's Tale. I didn't really.
I see.

Unless you happen to get some really high tier armor early on enemy penetration will be eating through whatever armor you have effectively making it worthless. Later on you have to to question if you want armor on or not because of energy weapons.
4 armor that you can get at the beginning could help. later on you have to decide if wear them or not and it makes a big difference in both cases in most of the fights so I don't know how that is meaningless.

subversus

Ok, I'm done with Damonta. If I go back to the Citadel now will they force me to go to California? I still have a lot of unfinished business in Arisona.

Xanathus

Ok, I'm done with Damonta. If I go back to the Citadel now will they force me to go to California? I still have a lot of unfinished business in Arisona.

No it won't force you, there's a very very obvious confirmation required for you before the point of no return.

subversus

very nice. I need to clear out Damonta first though. Tried to go back because URGENCY and then that radio broadcast.... so I decided to finish all robots. Some really tense fights there.

subversus

Has anyone dealt with a bug in Prison when
you have to cure the dogs? Jobe gives me the cure but I can't find it in my inventory

Niahak

Has anyone dealt with a bug in Prison when
you have to cure the dogs? Jobe gives me the cure but I can't find it in my inventory

I had the same trouble, but it's not a bug. Just boneheaded icon selection.
The cure looks like something else common, but I don't remember what offhand (maybe pain pills?). You'll have to tooltip to find it.

If you can scroll back in the chat log, you can probably find which of your rangers was talking to him
and likely got the cure.

Yeah it looks like the icon used for anitbiotics I think.
Didn't make any difference though. The guy still started shooting after letting me in.

Niahak

Didn't make any difference though. The guy still started shooting after letting me in.

Antibiotics sounds right, which is probably why I glossed over them. They have been useful one time in 20 hours of playing...

Huh, that's surprising. That didn't happen to me. I even
killed all the people at the farm the first time I was at the prison, when they aggro'd me for freeing the pigs. I *did* use a bunch of speech skills in the dialogue with the head guy, though.

DiscoJer

Really? When I did it, he wanted to talk to me, but I wouldn't have any of that and had all my guys shoot him. Which felt quite good, given all the crap he's done.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I just finished my first play through of the game. Overall, I would have to say that I am really happy with how it turned out and I am glad that I backed the Kickstarter.

- While it isn't the greatest looking game, I liked the general atmosphere and setting. The story was pretty good, as was the voice acting. Well, with the exception of Matthias. I can't say that I liked his voice at all.

- I really wish they had more character portraits. I was fine importing my own for my party, but there was a severe lack for the NPCs. It especially stood out for me at one part where the text is describing the guy I am meeting as fat, with a huge beard and with two white stripes. Then I look over at the portrait and it shows a guy who looks like he is about to starve to death, also with no beard. Sort of throws you out of the moment.

- I have seem some comments that people didn't like the LA/California part as much as the first half of the game. I am curious if that is because they didn't like the setting or missions as much, or if it is just because they had been playing for so long at that point they just were ready for it to finish up. Personally, it was my favorite part of the game. I loved the Mannerites and that whole area. I also liked the aspect of establishing the Desert Rangers, with new S.O.S. calls popping up every ten minutes.

- I loved the introduction of the Skorpitron. That was a fun battle.

- While overall the combat system was pretty fun, it did seem a bit simple after playing Divinity. They also need to balance a few of the weaker weapons to bring them in line with the rifles and sniper weapons.

Even having only played South Park, Divinity, and now Wasteland 2, this is has been a fantastic year for RPGs. I still need to play the expansion for Shadowrun, as well as M&M X before the end of the year. Plus I just saw that Dead State is going to release on December 4th. Not sure how I am going to have time to play them all before the GAF GOTY thread.

Volodja

I just finished my first play through of the game. Overall, I would have to say that I am really happy with how it turned out and I am glad that I backed the Kickstarter.

- While it isn't the greatest looking game, I liked the general atmosphere and setting. The story was pretty good, as was the voice acting. Well, with the exception of Matthias. I can't say that I liked his voice at all.

- I really wish they had more character portraits. I was fine importing my own for my party, but there was a severe lack for the NPCs. It especially stood out for me at one part where the text is describing the guy I am meeting as fat, with a huge beard and with two white stripes. Then I look over at the portrait and it shows a guy who looks like he is about to starve to death, also with no beard. Sort of throws you out of the moment.

- I have seem some comments that people didn't like the LA/California part as much as the first half of the game. I am curious if that is because they didn't like the setting or missions as much, or if it is just because they had been playing for so long at that point they just were ready for it to finish up. Personally, it was my favorite part of the game. I loved the Mannerites and that whole area. I also liked the aspect of establishing the Desert Rangers, with new S.O.S. calls popping up every ten minutes.

- I loved the introduction of the Skorpitron. That was a fun battle.

- While overall the combat system was pretty fun, it did seem a bit simple after playing Divinity. They also need to balance a few of the weaker weapons to bring them in line with the rifles and sniper weapons.

Even having only played South Park, Divinity, and now Wasteland 2, this is has been a fantastic year for RPGs. I still need to play the expansion for Shadowrun, as well as M&M X before the end of the year. Plus I just saw that Dead State is going to release on December 4th. Not sure how I am going to have time to play them all before the GAF GOTY thread.
You may want to toss Legend of Grimrock 2 in your "to play" list as well.

ParityBit

So I am about to go to
LA
and I was thinking of changing my guy who uses handguns to another weapon. All of these are duplicates, but do you think I should do assault, energy or shotgun? Or stick with handguns?

DiscoJer

Endgame Spoilers:

Oh god how the fuck do I deal with the scorpitron. Shit is fucking me up.

I just shot it a bunch of times with assault rifles on burst. That does a lot of damage, at least if you have the best assault rifles. I thought it pretty easy because it doesn't have an energy weapon, so if your guys have armor on, it won't hurt too much.

So I am about to go to
LA
and I was thinking of changing my guy who uses handguns to another weapon. All of these are duplicates, but do you think I should do assault, energy or shotgun? Or stick with handguns?

I ended up having all my guys with assault rifles, except for Vulture's Cry who had the .50 anti-material sniper rifle. If you mod them they have great range, are very accurate, and don't jam. Firing a burst will often drop a guy in one shot and basically never, ever miss (unless they are real close)

Uriah

I just shot it a bunch of times with assault rifles on burst. That does a lot of damage, at least if you have the best assault rifles. I thought it pretty easy because it doesn't have an energy weapon, so if your guys have armor on, it won't hurt too much.

I ended up having all my guys with assault rifles, except for Vulture's Cry who had the .50 anti-material sniper rifle. If you mod them they have great range, are very accurate, and don't jam. Firing a burst will often drop a guy in one shot and basically never, ever miss (unless they are real close)

I guess the scorpitron isn't really the problem, but all the trash mobs you have to deal with first. So far I've been focusing on killing Dungan first because he seems to do the most damage to my squad. I think I might need better gear as well. Were can i buy the best weapons for end game?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I hear brawling can be useful.

Brawling's only REALLY good with a high str character, as it scales with your level and your strength stat.

With a mediocre str stat (and/or if you have low speed/luck to run around and get crits on everything) it can be tough to do as a transition build.

I'd say have at least 1 dedicated energy user (or 2 if you have the gamma ray) because it takes a while to find weapons to 'catch up', while due to armor, pretty much every laser weapon will be hitting that 2.2 multiplier when you first touch down in
LA
. Even the dogs have like 3-4 armor in that area.

End game spoilers
I finally killed the scorpitron. Now on to Matthias

Have fun with the
20 odd robots piling on you, especially if you have Rose or Lexicaneum in the party!

z1ggy

Patch 3 now live - 2.2 GB.

Highlights
  • Added Steam Achievements! Collect them all, if you dare. These are currently only in for Windows. Steam Achievements should be backwards compatible for many (but not all) save files, so players will receive achievements automatically by loading up their save files.
  • Added and improved epilogue text to fix bugs and add more details that were previously missing.
  • Added colorblind mode! Activate it in the Display Options menu. This mode changes certain HUD element colors, primarily in combat, to be easier to discern for people with colorblindness.
  • Added a new brightness/saturation calibration screen to get the game looking as good as it should on a display near you.
  • Characters are now automatically exported at the end of the game. Veteran characters will now be noted as such in character creation.
  • Further improvements to Text Size setting so it now affects much more text across the interface. This will help out players who are visually impaired, or who play on high-DPI displays, or TVs.
  • Added an option to show/hide selection circles on the party, for those who would prefer them off.
  • Continued cleanup of bugs and issues, especially in California.

Full list here

CushVA

Need some help with the Hollywood/Church quest....starting to annoy me

Going for peace. Killed Heidi and the Synth and then talked to McDade as instructed. Took the secret passage and killed Jones and his crew (for some reason the merchants attacked me as well). Nothing happened, went outside and killed the guys along with cannon. Again, nothing happens. The only time Veronica, McDade and Fealty appear in the observatory is if I free the penitents. If I do that they attack me.......what gives? I even went through and cleared out the guys at the tower and the guys by the entrance (the guys you had to fight as part of the gauntlet

Do I need to reload a save game from before I started the Hollywood quest line?

subversus

is there anything valuable in the
Abandoned Railyard
in Arizona? I sort of want to go before leaving but dealing with random encounters is a chore.

CushVA

is there anything valuable in the
Abandoned Railyard
in Arizona? I sort of want to go before leaving but dealing with random encounters is a chore.

Vax fom Wasteland 1 is in a shipping crate somewhere. I never looked for him. He's one of those NPCs who tags along with you, but can't control

Top Bottom