• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Ellite25

Hmm I played this for the first time today and man I was not feeling it at all. Driving is terrible, the interface seems cluttered and nothing is explained to you as far as what icons mean. Tried to do a gang hide out and died multiple times. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it tonight of something. Well see next time I sit down and play.

Chitown B

does everyone just drive around sporadically all of the time for no reason? Every time I try to complete a tail, I jump in and the guy is miles away and never stops.

Chitown B

I think I burned myself out on this. I did all the Fixer Contracts (though more are popping up even after I've 40/40'd it?), Gang Hideouts and Criminal Convoy's. I'm only on act 2 now in the campaign and I just have no desire to go further because I've played the game for so long doing all of the side-stuff, the campaign is just boring.

I'm going to try to beat it but damn, its disappointing to have happen.

I just started Act III and yeah I don't care about the story. But all the side missions and investigations are great. I'm still waiting for the last 4 convoy missions to show up. And I skipped the Fixer stuff because it sucks.

Balboa

I think I burned myself out on this. I did all the Fixer Contracts (though more are popping up even after I've 40/40'd it?), Gang Hideouts and Criminal Convoy's. I'm only on act 2 now in the campaign and I just have no desire to go further because I've played the game for so long doing all of the side-stuff, the campaign is just boring.

I'm going to try to beat it but damn, its disappointing to have happen.
Exact same thing happened to me, once I'd done most the side missions I had pretty much seen all the game had to offer, the campaign just became a chore for the most part.

Squoig

Banned
how could every person be onto me the second I spawn in?

The pause/focus exploit. If the game doesn't pause or time doesn't slow down when you press focus then someone's in your game.

Watch some YouTube vids or twitch streams and you'll see that some people pause and unpause continuously waiting for an invader.

Chitown B

The pause/focus exploit. If the game doesn't pause or time doesn't slow down when you press focus then someone's in your game.

Watch some YouTube vids or twitch streams and you'll see that some people pause and unpause continuously waiting for an invader.

Trust Me. It Happens

I think at this point that most people are done with the campaign and know about the exploits that they have nothing better to do than to try to troll the people that enter their game

This stuff is bullshit. Play the damn game.

Oppo

Hmm I played this for the first time today and man I was not feeling it at all. Driving is terrible, the interface seems cluttered and nothing is explained to you as far as what icons mean. Tried to do a gang hide out and died multiple times. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it tonight of something. Well see next time I sit down and play.

Press triangle in the map screen. I think it's triangle. There's a legend.

Also get a motorbike. They're much more convenient.

what are yall's favorite bikes and cars for commuting around?

car, i like how the rx7 looking one handles the best, but i like that not modern camaro too.

i like all bikes, they all kinda handle the same imo though.

cackhyena

There's opinion and there's fact. Saying the driving is bad I have no problem with, but not everything in there you posted was truth.

You don't say. So far every vehicle I've driven, big, small, fast or slow relatively speaking, has an absolutely bizarre turning mechanic in that it doesn't take much to feel like you've had the e brake on when you haven't. Like you're on ice. If you want to go ahead and point out the few out there I've missed that somehow defy the all these other's mechanics and drive well....okay. For the sequel the game needs a massive overhaul to the driving mechanics.

Since it goes for more realistic tone, I'd rather they swing towards GTAV type of control than Sleeping Dogs or the Saint's Row series, personally.

Chitown B

You don't say. So far every vehicle I've driven, big, small, fast or slow relatively speaking, has an absolutely bizarre turning mechanic in that it doesn't take much to feel like you've had the e brake on when you haven't. Like you're on ice. If you want to go ahead and point out the few out there I've missed that somehow defy the all these other's mechanics and drive well....okay. For the sequel the game needs a massive overhaul to the driving mechanics.

Since it goes for more realistic tone, I'd rather they swing towards GTAV type of control than Sleeping Dogs or the Saint's Row series, personally.

On my turns, I let off the gas and coast around corners. Works pretty well. I don't use the handbrake at all. I use the regular brake sometimes and it slides if I need it.

Kuldar

For the sequel the game needs a massive overhaul to the driving mechanics.
Since it's one of the main complaint about the game (on the gameplay side) they will change it for Watch Dogs 2.

As I have zero issue with the driving (seriously, it's super easy to drive in this game), I think it's a waste to change it. But I'll adapt to whatever it will be in the sequel.

I found (a bit like GTA IV) if you take corners at full speed and throttle down you're going to get problems. If you slowed down/cruised/break around them you tend to do OK. The faster you go the looser the steering and control became, which I had no issue with once I realised that's where they were going.

Also some cars are just better than others at handling speed and steering.

However, I did start to think that if you went into Cockpit view the car suddenly became 'smaller' and easier to drive and dodge with.

cackhyena

On my turns, I let off the gas and coast around corners. Works pretty well. I don't use the handbrake at all. I use the regular brake sometimes and it slides if I need it.

I do that as well to compensate, but I guess I just don't find it fun. Chases, trying to escape, races, it all feels like you have less control overall than any open world game I've played. I think it's pretty telling that they knew this as well, given that when you hit a lot of cars and just scrape off them, it seems to be a way of compensating for the the way the cars handle. Like, there's no way to avoid it a lot of times when things are crazy. I can't remember playing another game racing cars where it was that lenient. I'm sure there has been...just personally speaking.

That the rest of the game is so compelling is a testament, though. I'd have probably dropped it a long time ago, otherwise. And cockpit view while limited in vision, is still such an awesome addition.

Chitown B

I do that as well to compensate, but I guess I just don't find it fun. Chases, trying to escape, races, it all feels like you have less control overall than any open world game I've played. I think it's pretty telling that they knew this as well, given that when you hit a lot of cars and just scrape off them, it seems to be a way of compensating for the the way the cars handle. Like, there's no way to avoid it a lot of times when things are crazy. I can't remember playing another game racing cars where it was that lenient. I'm sure there has been...just personally speaking.

That the rest of the game is so compelling is a testament, though. I'd have probably dropped it a long time ago, otherwise. And cockpit view while limited in vision, is still such an awesome addition.

sure but this isn't a racing game. I think the handicaps are good, to promote less frustration. If I had to race like Forza within an open world story game, I wouldn't like it.

cackhyena

sure but this isn't a racing game. I think the handicaps are good, to promote less frustration. If I had to race like Forza within an open world story game, I wouldn't like it.

Yeah, I wouldn't either. But GTA doesn't have that and I complete missions fine, because I feel in better control with the right car. I will say another thing I really like is the amount of things you can actually bash into and keep moving along. The bollards you don't hack, the smaller fences, a lot of little things something like a GTA would just stop you dead on. It's ridiculous watching a phone pole crumble like cake, but it's another nice exception added.

Relly

Banned
Trust Me. It Happens

I think at this point that most people are done with the campaign and know about the exploits that they have nothing better to do than to try to troll the people that enter their game

Wow Ubisoft needs to fix this asap. Not only that, but some people drive to the edges of the map where there are no civilians, that way if you do pop up they notice right away.

I loved hacking 1 week before release and the first week after.. But after that.. The trolling started. Sad too.. Such a fun mode

Andrew.

Banned
I found (a bit like GTA IV) if you take corners at full speed and throttle down you're going to get problems. If you slowed down/cruised/break around them you tend to do OK. The faster you go the looser the steering and control became, which I had no issue with once I realised that's where they were going.

Also some cars are just better than others at handling speed and steering.

However, I did start to think that if you went into Cockpit view the car suddenly became 'smaller' and easier to drive and dodge with.

This is true. Same with when you go into full FPS mode with the cars, just like in GTA4/5. Much easier to handle.

anybody find a good outfit that doesn't look like complete ass?

I like the all black one you unlock from that stealth virtual minigame.

And the 1920's preorder/season pass outfit isn't bad either.

Relly

Banned
This is true. Same with when you go into full FPS mode with the cars, just like in GTA4/5. Much easier to handle.

I went around one of the long highways twice without crashing once.. Hoping for a trophy to pop up for breaking a world record of 10 minutes full throttle without a single crash... But nothing :(

I was in fps mode on the LE motorbike you get from the car list. I was dipping in and out of lanes, between cars.. Thinking to myself, "holy shit, they fixed the driving!", until I went to third person mode and crashed when trying the same moves.. I do love the way he falls off the bike though.. Triggering focus mode then turning it off as he tumbles is hilarious

Daffy Duck

Before I buy the season pass I have a question, has anyone outside the US got the untouchables pack as part of the dlc?

I read on the forums that it's supposedly US region season pass only!

Ljwinter

Banned
I tried playing online, went into free roam. Didn't know you had to enable being able to die. So I walk up to 3 other players and they're just standing around. One pulls out a grenade launcher and aims at my feet, blows me into the sky. My character lands, begins to get up and then again, without a chance to even move, grenade at my feet. This happened over and over and over. All 3 took turns. I lasted about 5 minutes before I just quit.

So I found the option to enable being able to be killed but it only works if other players have it enabled too, so again, grenade at the feet, blasted into space.

Fuck this.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just finished the campaign. I'll write a bit more cohesive thoughts on the story when I have more time, but jesus what a mess. It tries to be a clever techno-thriller but goes completely off the rails after the second act.

Final segment spoilers:

That final mission was terrible, what were they thinking? Also, I can guarantee that wasn't even Jordy's voice actor delivering those lines at the lighthouse. Why the fuck was he even there? That was a complete 180 on his character up until that point. And what was Damien's goal anyway, I seriously don't understand what his motivations are. It's bizarre how there's no closure whatsoever, the game just.. ends. Bizarre ending on every front.

Can anyone give me a rundown on how long the credits are?

Started up the game a couple days ago, quick question.

Can you unlock the ctOS towers for the other areas or do those not unlock until you progress farther into the main campaign?

Personally I'm enjoying just screwing around with misc. mission and whatnot currently. That and driving a pickup truck down the train tracks into the ocean for the lulz due to the crappy driving physics.

hbkdx12

This stuff is bullshit. Play the damn game.
My horror stories are plentiful and i just started online hacking last week.
Wow Ubisoft needs to fix this asap. Not only that, but some people drive to the edges of the map where there are no civilians, that way if you do pop up they notice right away.

I loved hacking 1 week before release and the first week after.. But after that.. The trolling started. Sad too.. Such a fun mode
I don't really think they're gonna fix it. The game has already sold a shit ton and it's been almost a month. If they were interested in fixing it, it would have happened especially as big as Ubi is as a company, there's no shortage of manpower to do what's necessary to get it fixed by this point.

One of the really bad experiences is that if someone is at the blume headquarters that's at the upper right in pawnee, it'll spawn you in the city across the water and you'll be more than 1000m away which gives you the option to fast travel to them but it'll just spawn you right in the corner of the city. So if you're willing to go through all the trouble to go all the way up there, no npc go over there as far as i know so as soon as you drive up the road you're basically asking for trouble. So silly.

Started up the game a couple days ago, quick question.

Can you unlock the ctOS towers for the other areas or do those not unlock until you progress farther into the main campaign?

Personally I'm enjoying just screwing around with misc. mission and whatnot currently. That and driving a pickup truck down the train tracks into the ocean for the lulz due to the crappy driving physics.

You have to do a few missions or so before all the ctOS towers show up on the map

njean777

I beat the game on Sunday
I love how they tried to make you care about Clara, I mean if you wanted me to care about her she would have been in the game more.
Anyways the game was just mediocre, have hope for the second.

The online was interesting, but in the end boring. I like that they took the Dark Souls route and had invasions, but every single person that invaded me must have been terrible because I killed them every single time. Not once did they do what they were suppose to do.

Grimsen

This game isn't grabbing me. The sneaking is pretty cool, but so far the story is boring and nonsensical (still on Act 1). Aiden sucks balls, such a lame character.

I have no interest in doing more side missions than what I've already done, except the privacy invasions.

I'm going to finish the game quickly, unless the story goes down the crapper, then I'm selling it.

Oh, and I usually don't care much about performance, but the pop-in while driving is very distracting. (on ps4)

Acorn

Fuck these god damn drinking games. I wouldn't care if it wasn't the only trophy i'm missing. Stuck at 98% forever haunting me

Tohsaka

Fuck these god damn drinking games. I wouldn't care if it wasn't the only trophy i'm missing. Stuck at 98% forever haunting me

I was stuck on level 6 of the Extreme drinking game for quite a while. The levels after it are much easier, for whatever reason,

No problem here with online tailing. The fact that my opponent is able to check somehow that I'm in his game is just fair, because I can see his silouette through walls for example (which is also fair because the 30 seconds timeframe to get back to him is tight). Without any knowledge that I follow someone it would be almost impossible to recognize that I'm invading the game. It's actually pretty funny to observe how someone else scans everyone in panic or runs like a manic through backyards.
Can't speak for the rest of the game. Except some fixer contracts, criminal convoys ctos towers, betting and poker I haven't played anything else.

But I think I can't abandon the tailing even without getting spotted. Even that's been told during the loading screens.

Squoig

Banned
But I think I can't abandon the tailing even without getting spotted. Even that's been told during the loading screens.

Pause the game and choose "End Session" (or quit session, I can't remember). If the opponent was unaware that you had invaded, you won't lose any points. If they were aware ("You have been invaded" message plus purple circle on the map) then it counts as a loss.

Chitown B

No problem here with online tailing. The fact that my opponent is able to check somehow that I'm in his game is just fair, because I can see his silouette through walls for example (which is also fair because the 30 seconds timeframe to get back to him is tight). Without any knowledge that I follow someone it would be almost impossible to recognize that I'm invading the game. It's actually pretty funny to observe how someone else scans everyone in panic or runs like a manic through backyards.
Can't speak for the rest of the game. Except some fixer contracts, criminal convoys ctos towers, betting and poker I haven't played anything else.

lol.

well, tailing doesn't net you anything from the person. So it's not a detriment to them that you're there. Which is why I don't think it should be readily apparent you're there.

If it's a hacking job, then I understand. But tailing is benign and should be pretty much stealth. Do people just randomly pause all the time to see if the background is moving?

malfcn

The hacking has become more frustrating as more people know about the "tells" and can focus on you before the game is designed to alert invaders. I did gain all the notoriety perks, but find the last one worthless. Who cares what they look like, you have your profiler out and it will see them, or they are hiding.

hbkdx12

Do people just randomly pause all the time to see if the background is moving?
I wouldn't doubt it to be honest. From my experience, the real egregious exploiters will hold up somewhere isolated and wait for someone to enter their game and approach them which makes them a sitting duck.

The hacking has become more frustrating as more people know about the "tells" and can focus on you before the game is designed to alert invaders. I did gain all the notoriety perks, but find the last one worthless. Who cares what they look like, you have your profiler out and it will see them, or they are hiding.

The perks are so terrible that's it's actually the only reason i haven't completely thrown my hands up with the hacking. Since i don't really care about the perks it's only my experience of being trolled that's frustrating. If the perks were actually something worthwhile and the exploits were actually standing in my way from getting them, then i'd be livid.

Anion

how could every person be onto me the second I spawn in?
Frame rate drops....really unfortunate and kinda dumb. Or they hacked a Blume agents phone and failed to jam the coms...and are expecting you

Really wish at least description and racing would have dedis. I honestly know that description is P2P

cackhyena

I was walking through an alley at one point and the sun was setting. I saw the shadows creeping up one of the walls but when I'd stop walking, the shadows stopped as well. I'd nudge a foot forward after a couple seconds and the shadow would nudge ever so slightly self. Is this in other open world, real time games and I just never noticed? Time stands still for special lil old me.

Qwell

Still stuck with the stupid 90% loading bug on the PC. Has anyone heard any word about a fix / patch coming soon? I tried looking for some work but I can't seem to find anything.

Setsuna

I was walking through an alley at one point and the sun was setting. I saw the shadows creeping up one of the walls but when I'd stop walking, the shadows stopped as well. I'd nudge a foot forward after a couple seconds and the shadow would nudge ever so slightly self. Is this in other open world, real time games and I just never noticed? Time stands still for special lil old me.

I noticed that today when i was driving around. I go forward, and the shadows move. I stop, and the shadows stop. I reverse, and the shadows start moving again.

It seems like the time of day only progesses when you are moving which is weird

Top Bottom