• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

hbkdx12

peeps on PS4 have been live streaming this and they are getting banned pretty quickly. I don't see the point of banning the streams. Let people watch and decide for themselves. And there are people who just want to watch the game. That's why TWITCH is so popular. Let the people watch and enjoy. If they are afraid of spoilers they can just block certain scenes like on other PS4 games. I buying it, and I would like to watch also.

From a consumer standpoints--absolutely

But i can understand it from dev/pub side too. You want to be able to control the hype as much as possible. This is why marketing exists.

woen

peeps on PS4 have been live streaming this and they are getting banned pretty quickly. I don't see the point of banning the streams. Let people watch and decide for themselves. And there are people who just want to watch the game. That's why TWITCH is so popular. Let the people watch and enjoy. If they are afraid of spoilers they can just block certain scenes like on other PS4 games. I buying it, and I would like to watch also.

It is understandable. The game isn't released yet. People will watch and decide when the game is out, in 6 days. Or no, when NDA come to and end (e.g. IGN live in 2h)
Twitch has to respect what the right's owner decide about streaming videos. And this is Ubisoft's job to prevent people from streaming before the release day. Every big AAA studio is doing that. And it's people's job to avoid the ban hammers.

Why can I not wear a suit, Ubi?

Goddammit, I just needed you guys to do one thing for me.

tumblr_mbtgda0Nds1qdctn9o1_r1_500.jpg

It is understandable. The game isn't released yet. People will watch and decide when the game is out, in 6 days. Or no, when NDA come to and end (e.g. IGN live in 2h)
Twitch has to respect what the right's owner decide about streaming videos. And this is Ubisoft's job to prevent people from streaming before the release day. Every big AAA studio is doing that. And it's people's job to avoid the ban hammers.

IGN Live is streaming this in two hours?

fritzo

oh, i totally understand that. its their product. is there a way to prevent the game from streaming on someone's console. if not, then good luck to other devs/publishers in the future. this will not stop. people will stream Destiny, Drive Club, The Order, etc, days before the release date. And we will search and watch. Its what we do. Can this cat and mouse game be prevented?

Marcel

oh, i totally understand that. its their product. is there a way to prevent the game from streaming on someone's console. if not, then good luck to other devs/publishers in the future. this will not stop. people will stream Destiny, Drive Club, The Order, etc, days before the release date. And we will search and watch. Its what we do. Can this cat and mouse game be prevented?

Nope. And I will watch and make appropriate judgments because I don't give a shit about Ubisoft's embargo or the enthusiast press.

woen

Nope. And I will watch and make appropriate judgments because I don't give a shit about Ubisoft's embargo or the enthusiast press.

I believe you just gave one good reason for the ban hammer on the stream before the release : it isn't a great way to judge a game on livestreamers, with often no people talking, doing and playing like paralyzed doges, low quality, not every platform available, no informations about the game in general... I prefer to hear from skilled reviewers and livestreamers in order to make my own opinion about the relevancy of buying the game.

I believe you just gave one good reason for the ban hammer on the stream before the release : it isn't a great way to judge a game on livestreamers, with often no people talking, doing and playing like paralyzed doges, low quality, not every platform available, no informations about the game in general... I prefer to hear from skilled reviewers and livestreamers in order to make my own opinion about the relevancy of buying the game.

except these skilled reviewers rarely give reviews worth using anymore.. and these embargos, just ridiculous that at one point in time, the norm was to see reviews 4-7 days before release, so you could make a decision using all the facts, nowadays they make you preorder and you don't get to hear any of the negatives til just before you go to the store to pick up your copy, IF you're lucky.

nothing worse than how they hype up something for months, without mentioning negative, then seeing a review thats nothing but negative.

fritzo

same. too bad not everyone feels the same way.

"some men just want to watch the world burn" - alfred pennyworth.

Live streaming games is here to stay for a while. The devs/publishers are aware of this. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Youtube takes over Twitch. The copyright lawsuits are right around the corner probably.

Marcel

You can make a judgment about the game even if the player is unskilled. The presentation is there, the gameplay is there, it's not hard to use your noggin and fill in the details. Just because some Ukranian guy can't do a mission doesn't mean I can't judge the game on what I see.

You really care what reviewers think? The whole ecosystem for game reviews is slightly fucked and I'm not interested in giving them my time.

except these skilled reviewers rarely give reviews worth using anymore.. and these embargos, just ridiculous that at one point in time, the norm was to see reviews 4-7 days before release, so you could make a decision using all the facts, nowadays they make you preorder and you don't get to hear any of the negatives til just before you go to the store to pick up your copy, IF you're lucky.

They don't make you preorder anything, and if you preorder at a brick and mortar store you can put down the smallest amount with absolutely no obligation of buying the game when it releases.

They don't make you preorder anything, and if you preorder at a brick and mortar store you can put down the smallest amount with absolutely no obligation of buying the game when it releases.

They do if you don't want to get cheated out of free DLC/extra missions/etc etc.. I understand you can change your preorder and put down little, but its BS, I can't get my money back, it stays store credit.

woen

nothing worse than how they hype up something for months, without mentioning negative, then seeing a review thats nothing but negative.

I don't know which reviews you read but I still find relevancy in those I read.
Yes, you could still not preorder the game (which are free anyway), wait until the day of release or the day before, and buy the game in a range of 0 to 3 days in order to make your decision. (This is only if you care about the reviews and the NDA)

You can make a judgment about the game even if the player is unskilled. The presentation is there, the gameplay is there, it's not hard to use your noggin and fill in the details. Just because some Ukranian guy can't do a mission doesn't mean I can't judge the game on what I see.

You really care what reviewers think? The whole ecosystem for game reviews is slightly fucked and I'm not interested in giving them my time.

Great, you can judge a game from 2 missions (failed 5 times) and some messing-around-in-the-open-world for 30 minutes, in 300p quality with high compression of both video and audio, no commentary or analysis in the game.
And you're telling me all the reviews are "fucked" so you prefer the pre-release streams.

Or they could drop these ridiculous embargos and do it like they used to, reviews out up to a week before.. Stop treating us like dogs that are begging for a treat.

Dio

Banned
Great, you can judge a game from 2 missions (failed 5 times) and some messing-around-in-the-open-world for 30 minutes, in 300p quality with high compression of both video and audio, no commentary or analysis in the game.
And you're telling me all the reviews are "fucked" so you prefer the pre-release streams.

I dunno, the hilariously fucked up physics of this game are shining through despite the compression. I also very much doubt Ubisoft invented a physics engine specifically for the last-generation version, so you can expect to see some of that open-world jank in the next-gen versions too.

Marcel

It's my $59.99 so yeah, I get to decide the basis on which it's spent. I'm not obligated to participate in a poor environment of artificially inflated importance (game reviews). I'll take the poor environment of GLORIOUS UKRAINE 240P stream over the poor environment where hacks like Arthur Gies get paid to judge anything, let alone a video game.

Codiox

Played the 360 version for 2h at my friends house, and im a little disappointed. I didnt make any story/missions, just messing around in freeroam to not spoil anything till tuesday. And the freeroam gets very limited and boring IMO. But im still looking forward to my ps4 version of it. I hope the graphics are much better than the 360 version though...GTAV looks 100x better than this on 360.

I dunno, the hilariously fucked up physics of this game are shining through despite the compression. I also very much doubt Ubisoft invented a physics engine specifically for the last-generation version, so you can expect to see some of that open-world jank in the next-gen versions too.

Have you seen the vehicle physics in BF3/BF4??

Doesn't make it acceptable, but not a game breaker.

nowadays they make you preorder
You've been fooled if you think that's true. You can walk into any Target, Wal-Mart, or a myriad of other options (not to mention, download digitally) and buy the game on release day with no preorder. The lame preorder bonuses typically add nothing. Anyone can choose to read dozens of reviews on release day before making any purchase decision.

You've been fooled if you think that's true. You can walk into any Target, Wal-Mart, or a myriad of other options (not to mention, download digitally) and buy the game on release day with no preorder. The lame preorder bonuses typically add nothing. Anyone can choose to read dozens of reviews on release day before making any purchase decision.

really? free map / dlc is a lame bonus??

Is it really best to directly compare this and GTA? I feel like they aren't exactly going for the same thing. I mean, you don't judge every action movie directly with the best action movies of all time. You judge it on its own merits.

woen

PS4 LIVE STREAM
No story missions, no spoilers, only side content
http://www.gamespot.com/videos/watch-dogs-now-playing/2300-6418882/

Speculation.

It's my $59.99 so yeah, I get to decide the basis on which it's spent. I'm not obligated to participate in a poor environment of artificially inflated importance (game reviews). I'll take the poor environment of GLORIOUS UKRAINE 240P stream over the poor environment where hacks like Arthur Gies get paid to judge anything, let alone a video game.

You do what you want, I don't care, it just isn't relevant, that's all.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There's not a PC OT for this'n right?

Took advantage of Mexican Origin dealy for the Deluxe edition, $44.99. The price made it worthwhile for me. With all of the edition craziness and after getting confused looking at the season pass, I decided I just wanted the stuff from the Digital Deluxe edition well enough, and this was by far the best deal I saw (this close to release anyway). I know Origin is nobody's first choice, but if anybody is interested I recommend it. If you don't understand the process and want to give this a go just feel free to PM me I guess.

I already have too many games to play but I'm going to be playing the shit out of this one nonetheless. In many ways I have wanted this exact game since long before it was announced. The most recent things I've seen in previews I didn't know about before (digital trips, some of the multiplayer modes, the idea of progression on the mobile app) have only renewed my hype, and I managed to forget how soon it was coming out. I assume that there will be much hate hurled its way over the next few weeks for a variety of reasons, but I'll be having fun over here. :)

Marcel

woen

I like that car! Much better than the others.

Responding to all comers. Man, I can tell how much you just don't care. It is actually relevant though because Ubisoft wants me to buy their game and I'm using appropriate resources at my disposal to make a judgment. :)

I explained to you why dark livestreams are not relevant or appropriate to make a rationnal judgement. I much prefer independent reviewers or youtubers. Or people I trust on the internet.

Top Bottom