• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wayward Souls (iOS) |OT| Pixels, magic, and randomized death

YJjYR5z.png

Site
Release Trailer
On IOS, coming to Android, PC, possibly Vita
Price: $4.99, will increase $1 with each content update

Wayward Souls is an action-adventure dungeon crawler with randomized levels and permanent death. It features quick, twitch-based combat where tactics, positioning, and timing matter, controlled through touchscreen gestures. Two years in the making, it’s designed for quick playthroughs and lots of replay value.
Battle through hordes of monsters as six different player characters, each with their own playstyle. Customize each character with their own upgrades and equipment that changes their abilities. Learn their stories and find out what happened in the cursed tower you find yourself in.

screen568x568.jpeg

• Fancy control scheme with no virtual buttons or sticks to fumble over.
  • Unlock new areas, for increasingly punishing difficulty.
  • 13 area types, all with different monsters, potential traps, and rare encounters.
  • Each character can find equipment combinations that change their gameplay.
  • Victory is based on your increasing skill as a player, not solely on grinding.
  • Hats.
  • No IAP ever, even for the hats. All content updates will be free for our fans.
  • Unprecedented scope and variety for an action-adventure game on iOS

Update Roadmap
- First update: Fourth area with 20 floors
- Second update: Endless mode, MFI controller support.
- Third update: New character, the Paladin, who gets his own special area to match how overpowered he is (depends on game's success)

Other Platforms:
- PC version with extra content
- Possible Vita version

Reviews
Pocket Gamer - 10/10, first Platinum award in over a year
One of the finest action-adventure experiences you can have on any device, let along mobile, Wayward Souls is an essential purchase
148Apps - 5/5
Wayward Souls is punishing, but so rewarding and satisfying when success does come. Rocketcat Games have made a roguelike action-RPG that stands up with the best of its genre, mobile or not. This is an absolute must-buy.
Toucharcade - 5/5
Stunningly beautiful, jam-packed with replay value and secrets, and loaded with tons of great action, Wayward Souls is an absolute must-have.
Gamezebo - 5/5
Roguelike, roguelike-like, procedural death labyrinth – what you want to call it, Wayward Souls is one of the best examples of the genre you’re going to find on mobile. It’s the kind of game you’ll sit down to play one session of, and the next thing you know you’ve killed the battery on your phone.
In other words, it’s everything you want a mobile game to be.
Slide To Play - 3/4
Wayward Souls is designed to put you through the grinder again and again. Everyone loves a good challenge, but for some players, Wayward Souls may be too much. Even for the most hardened of players, this game presents a true test of skill and requires quite a bit of luck as well. It could use some tweaks to the enemies, the rate of spells, and health drops. Still, for those of us that enjoy a challenge, Wayward Souls will provide lots and lots of hours of pain– I mean, fun.

characters.png

Jharp

Looks awesome. Super tempted to grab it on my iPad, but may just wait for android. Of course, most android version tend to suck unless it's on a tablet (at least in my experience), so maybe I'll just wait for PC.

Hopefully there's a demo on iOS.

Arcayne

I got lost playing this game for hours last night in a time that I should have been loooooong asleep. Gameplay surprisingly works flawlessly with the touchscreen controls, and the OST is beautiful. Difficulty is no joke though; I died several times due to overconfidence within the first three randomized stages post-tutorial level. Strategy and patience is required for this one folks. Our beloved Dark Souls, spiritually speaking, has arrived to iOS. And its damn good.

Gameplay mechanics so far:
-left side screen has invisible gyro control scheme, works seamlessly
-right side screen used to attack
1)tap once for light attack (close range melee, or ranged magic)
2)hold a second for a charge/heavy attack, let go to unleash charged attack
3)swipe up for secondary heavy attack, has finite uses (usually ranged projectile)
4)swipe down secondary heavy attack, has finite uses (usually aoe/defense)
-menu buttom on top right to manually use powerful spells/scrolls, not sure it can be shortcutted though

PFD

Update Roadmap
- First update: Fourth area with 20 floors
- Second update: Endless mode, MFI controller support.
- Third update: New character, the Paladin, who gets his own special area to match how overpowered he is (depends on game's success)

Looks like I might jump in with the second update.

Interested in how the controls work.
Left side moves, tap right to attack, hold right to charge attack, swipe up to use offensive ability, swipe down to use defensive ability. Pause and select special items from your inventory to use them.

IMO, very intuitive and responsive

I should highlight the part where it specifies each update increases the base price by $1 for people who have not purchased it by that point.
It also should be noted that Rocket Cat is very consistent with pricing. Mage Gauntlet had a launch sale for $1.99 in 2011, increased to $2.99 after a week, and has never been free or on sale again since

Ainaurdur

It also should be noted that Rocket Cat is very consistent with pricing. Mage Gauntlet had a launch sale for $1.99 in 2011, increased to $2.99 after a week, and has never been free or on sale again since

One of the interview vids I watched, the dev said basically that, they don't like doing sales. Want to be consistent about the value of the game or something.
The game will likely never be as cheap as it is right now.

I am enjoying it so far. My first Rogue died on the 2nd floor, and I just got my first Warrior to the third I think? I lost count. But got my first achievement. Probably going to die on this floor and then will try out the Mage.
Game hasn't been too generous about health restoration except for the minor cure when going to the next level of the dungeon.

I'm liking this a lot, but not as much as I'd hoped.

The controls feel imprecise, especially when I'm trying to dash with the rogue. I also remember the developer saying that the upgrades would change your whole playstyle, which at this point seems to be completely false.

You can tell that a lot of love went into it though, I guess it's just a lot of small things making it a good experience instead of a great one for me.

Mlatador

Banned
OMG, whyyy does this have to look so good and be on IOS only!?!?!?
tumblr_meku7aPSQt1qm5kebo1_500.gif

It reminds me of the good old SNES days...
I may have to get a Vita for this *sob*

Eusis

Wow, this looks very nice. May grab on iOS sooner than later just in case it never shows up on Vita anyway. Though I guess PC would do anyway (and is probably friendlier for updates, whether due to policy or just storage space.)

good game, but i feel like the difficulty is a bit wonky. breezing through stuff, then all of a sudden i get bum rushed by 30 wild boars, or those slug things that spit shit at you.

And im finding it quite hard to do the swipe up and down motion in the middle of combat. i do kinda wish there is an option for virtual buttons for that.

Been mostly using warrior because the basic attack has good reach.

I'm liking this a lot, but not as much as I'd hoped.

The controls feel imprecise, especially when I'm trying to dash with the rogue. I also remember the developer saying that the upgrades would change your whole playstyle, which at this point seems to be completely false.

You can tell that a lot of love went into it though, I guess it's just a lot of small things making it a good experience instead of a great one for me.
The weapon and gear you acquire at forges can change your playstyle. Like as a mage, I had a choice between a stave that shot icy blasts that slowed down and froze enemies or one that fired weaker projectiles that pierced multiple enemies

No Dark Souls-related title? Lame.
I wanted to title it "IOS finally has its Dark Souls" but I feared that, knowing how some GAFfers can be, the thread would attract comments on how an IOS games suck and can't possibly be anything like Dark Souls

And originally the game's title was Wayward Saga. You can probably guess why the devs changed it

I'm going to throw my hat in there too and say that Rogue is pretty hard to properly use. I dont know how the guys over at Toucharcade became so godly at it.

aznpxdd

Any idea when this is coming out for Android? Tempted to pick this up on my iPad, but would rather have it on the Nex 5 since I always have it around...

popyea

Tutorial boss spoiler:
Was that a scripted death? At first I thought hey, this shouldn't be too hard, but the waves of enemies kept growing. Cool if so, and even cooler if it's possible to win like in Demon's Souls.

Tutorial boss spoiler:
Was that a scripted death? At first I thought hey, this shouldn't be too hard, but the waves of enemies kept growing. Cool if so, and even cooler if it's possible to win like in Demon's Souls.
Some asked about this on Toucharcade
Developer said
there is a secret if you manage to beat that boss, but he believes it's impossible.

http://toucharcade.com/2014/04/25/wayward-souls-review/

Toucharcade gave it a super rare 5/5 rating. How long has it been since they gave one of those out? Like, three days?

Anyways, I was going to hold off on this since I still have so much iOS shit I've barely even started, but the hype is tempting me...
Actually I was just posting about that on another forum
On a side note, I love how stingy PG is with awarding Platinums. How often does TA give games 5 stars, a perfect score? Every other week, every week, sometimes more than once in a week. IMO, that perfect score loses meaning and weight in a way because it's awarded so often. But Pocket Gamer giving a game a Platinum? That means something. They do it so rarely that you know that a game worthy of a Platinum must be something special

Syril

Does this have the same movement controls that Mage Gauntlet had on the Pro Stick setting? Those are the only good touchscreen controls I've ever seen.

I hope the dlc adds some mini bosses and some more interesting enemy types. The game is just fine right now but can get a little tedious if your dying in the in the early levels often. Boss fights are the most fun.

Does this have the same movement controls that Mage Gauntlet had on the Pro Stick setting? Those are the only good touchscreen controls I've ever seen.

yeah. funny enough the 3 starting characters is pretty much the mage guantlet chick broken up.

warrior has the weapon swing animation

rouge has the dodge

mage has the same spells

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Played this on the way home yesterday and on the commute to the office today, it's ROUGH, but the controls are buttery smooth with only a few minor gripes. Accidentally tapping to attack when you don't mean to happens so get used to resting your thumb off the screen, and sometimes if I attacked to fast it would just start charging an attack instead.

I've gotten to the fifth floor of the first dungeon a few times as the Warrior but mannn it's hhaaaaarddd, those fucking bats and anyone who throws projectiles at you really muck you up.

Tutorial boss spoiler:

It might be possible, I got past all the waves, then the dude landed and charged and one shot me, but I was at very low HP.

heringer

yeah. funny enough the 3 starting characters is pretty much the mage guantlet chick broken up.

warrior has the weapon swing animation

rouge has the dodge

mage has the same spells

Spellsword = class of the Mage Gauntlet girl.

It's the most powerfull class in the game.

Some asked about this on Toucharcade
Developer said
there is a secret if you manage to beat that boss, but he believes it's impossible.
Toucharcade had an interview with the developer and I think he said that the secret reward to beating the tutorial was
you unlock the Paladin class

Top Bottom