• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB Looking to sell off games/divisions to prevent breakup....good time for MK to leave WB!

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
WB is looking to sell off some games and/or divisions to prevent them from being broken up. Looks like all of their live GAAS bullshit they've pushed on studios and the negative sales because of it have had their impact.

If this is true, and MK is one of the ones looking to be sold, it would be great to see Ed Boon and John Tobias buy their franchise from WB and make the games the way that they deserve to be made, without all of the GAAS, woke, and gender bender characters.

It would also free up Ed and NRS to give us a TRUE MK Arcade Collection of the 1st 4 games. Complete speculation on my part here, but i think the reason why it's never happened until now is because WB doesn't want to pay royalties to the OG MK character actors for the arcade titles.

El Sabroso

I don't think an arcade collection for Mortal Kombat is wise to pursue as a reason to leave WB for NRS as it drives money since they are the bridge that NRS is able to bring the guests characters they have for the series since MK9

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I don't think an arcade collection for Mortal Kombat is wise to pursue as a reason to leave WB for NRS as it drives money since they are the bridge that NRS is able to bring the guests characters they have for the series since MK9

I would say that many people think that the last couple MK's have had too many guest characters so this wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Plenty of MK characters in the universe they could add via Kombat Packs and not rely so heavy on the boring guest characters.

Raven117

Woof, we are seeing the overall cycle out of GAAS from the last 5 years (at least) and it’s like a mini-bubble pop.

They all saw Fortnite, Minecraft, Roblox, numbers and thought, surely they could that easily as well.

Question is where does the industry go from here?

Do they keep chasin GAAS? Make smaller games?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
WB is looking to sell off some games and/or divisions to prevent them from being broken up. Looks like all of their live GAAS bullshit they've pushed on studios and the negative sales because of it have had their impact.

If this is true, and MK is one of the ones looking to be sold, it would be great to see Ed Boon and John Tobias buy their franchise from WB and make the games the way that they deserve to be made, without all of the GAAS, woke, and gender bender characters.

It would also free up Ed and NRS to give us a TRUE MK Arcade Collection of the 1st 4 games. Complete speculation on my part here, but i think the reason why it's never happened until now is because WB doesn't want to pay royalties to the OG MK character actors for the arcade titles.

Karma dealt a hard blow to Warner Bros.

That company is like the little bully who bothers others, but when they hit him, he cries and complains.

That's what that company deserves for being so hypocritical.

SHA

The industry needs younger leaders with fresh minds, at least that's how it started, it's obvious they no longer belong to this industry, they've lost the touch with video games and glad they realized that way early.

Haint

WB ain't making Netherealm tran, uglify, and burqa their characters, that's internal.

Last edited:
Please whatever happens just make sure Hogwarts Legacy 2 exceeds the first and isn't ruined. Needs to remain a single-player open-world RPG, just with more to do and better side activities, and a bit more polish.

FeralEcho

Oh man, you're telling me Suicide Squad didn't save their gaming division?

shocked oh no GIF

Valt7786

I would say that many people think that the last couple MK's have had too many guest characters so this wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Plenty of MK characters in the universe they could add via Kombat Packs and not rely so heavy on the boring guest characters.
This, the guest characters have been dogshit. Wasted slots for what could have been returning MK characters instead. Especially this latest one. Ok we get the robots and noob back, but still no Sonya, Jax, Kano or loads others they could use...just so we can get fucking Ghostface and T1000? -_-

jakinov

The original article actually says they are looking at selling a stake of their gaming business not the whole gaming business. Gamedevelopers.com article cites the Financial Times who simply says this:

They are considering offers to sell Polish broadcaster TVN or a stake in Warner’s video games business, which holds valuable intellectual property to Harry Potter games, said people familiar with the matter.

Kings Field

MK has been sinking since MK11. They need to fire the tranny and the other FGC players from GGA they hired years ago and go back to their roots. Stop trying to shoehorn a footsie game like SF into MK.

These new games suck.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
If Microsoft were to buy WB games, best believe these would remain multiplatform.

If Microsoft were to buy WB games, Rocksteady would close for sure, and NRS would be up in the air. They'd keep Boon and some key MK designers and MK would live on.

RedC

If Microsoft were to buy WB games, Rocksteady would close for sure, and NRS would be up in the air. They'd keep Boon and some key MK designers and MK would live on.
That wouldn't necessarily be a Microsoft thing, but a business thing no matter if they were acquired by somebody else or these studios were to gain their independence.

The market has been rough the past 2 years.

Megatron

Unless they are including the rights to dc characters, I don’t see any companies being interested. They could sell just Mortal Kombat but companies are cutting studios, not adding. They buy IP.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Unless they are including the rights to dc characters, I don’t see any companies being interested. They could sell just Mortal Kombat but companies are cutting studios, not adding. They buy IP.

I would also think that Ed Boon has some of clause that says if MK is sold he goes with it, but maybe not.

Top Bottom